Start by marking “Sacred Geometry: Philosophy and Practice” as Want to Read:
Sacred Geometry: Philosophy and Practice

Sacred Geometry: Philosophy and Practice

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  168 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The thinkers of ancient Egypt, Greece and India recognized that numbers governed much of what they saw in their world and hence provided an approach to its divine creator. Robert Lawlor sets out the system that determines the dimension and the form of both man-made and natural structures, from Gothic cathedrals to flowers, from music to the human body. By also involving th ...more
Published June 17th 1982 by Thames & Hudson (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Geometry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred Geometry

Bruce
Aug 27, 2012 Bruce rated it really liked it
Shelves: sacred-geometry
This is an amazing book, so densely packed with information that I can only nibble a little bit at a time. A while back, the vesica. Some time ago, the derivation of platonic solids. Recently, the divine proportion and the really mind blowing concept the greeks took from it, that a truer perception of the world is not subject/object, but relationship. Still applying this one to my reality and getting great results.

This book is full of exercises to help you derive these forms for yourself, which
Aurora Nainggolan
Jan 18, 2015 Aurora Nainggolan rated it it was amazing
Obviously, Robert Lawlor addresses this fundamentally dualistic nature of geometry in his essential work: Sacred Geometry – Philosophy and Practice to whom respect and understand the application of geometry. We introduced to an another fundamental idea lying at the heart of Sacred Geometry. It was provided the means by which God, as the Great Architect of the Universe, was able to frame the template of Creation. And consider this method as a form of mental training designed to develop the ration ...more
Brian
Jul 30, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
If you only get one book on sacred geometry, this is it.

It's actually more of a workbook than a textbook. There are lots of drawings and examples.

I recommend it so strongly because there are activities you can do. Doing the processes and solving the problems with pencil, paper, compass and square is the experience of the philosophers who valued this study so much.
Emily
Apr 02, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Artists, mystics, philosophers
This book is a wonderful introduction to sacred geometry by anthropologist and esotericist Robert Lawlor. It is organized like a workbook and acts as a step-by-step guide, introducing mathematical concepts and philosophy side by side. It's the most complete and user friendly introductory text on the subject I've found, plus the illustrations are positively ecstatic!
Sophia
May 09, 2014 Sophia rated it liked it
I did enjoy reading and working through this book. A fantastic way to introduce yourself to some amazing concepts. If you're already familiar with sacred geometry this will actually teach you to draw it out which helps the information to...take shape? ;) Getting into the nitty gritty of drawing out the shapes was tedious but worth it.

Even if you aren't into the metaphysical aspects of the book I think this would be a fabulous read for artists of all sorts. It helps to train your eye to recogniz
Gavin White
Feb 26, 2014 Gavin White rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-design
Excellent introduction to sacred geometry. This book was the first to get me interested in the practice of geometry. There are quite a few new glossy books out there on the subject but this one has stood the test of time. That's partly because it is more of a workbook than a straight read. This forces the reader to get their compass and ruler out and start constructing the forms for themselves. I found that this, rather than any amount of reading, is what inculcated the basic principles of the g ...more
Kristen
Dec 19, 2007 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, science
Doing practice math problems isn't for everyone, but I loved it. History, Math, and Art all described as one.
Edward F.
Dec 04, 2015 Edward F. rated it it was amazing
I love this book, it provides a great introduction to sacred geometry, and provides instruction on creating the well known patterns. I really enjoyed the information on the cathedral/church layout and design.
Paul Brooks
Mar 16, 2015 Paul Brooks rated it it was amazing
This would be a great workbook for teenage geometry students. it gives real meaning to the subject through illustrations, story and myth, as well as addressing the math. beautiful book.
Joshua Michael
Excellent survey of SG History and practice!
Aaron Cummings
Sep 16, 2012 Aaron Cummings rated it really liked it

This is a dense book and not for the faint of mathematical heart. Illuminating and insightful. It would be better titled, "Contemplative Geometry". There's very little "sacred" per se, at least from this Christian's viewpoint. The author has an appreciation for anyone who has thought about geometry, and that becomes a large distraction in the book. He wants so much to integrate that he integrates wildly contradicting religions. Well worth the read for any classicist or classically trained stude
May
Jun 13, 2011 May added it
Shelves: philosophy
This book is amazingly short and simple. Yet, there is a beauty in what it describes and the pictures. A quick read through is helpful for remembering the manner in which geometric shapes correspond to one anther.

The illustrations are beautifully done. I can't give it more than 4 stars because I don't know that it's more than a coffee table/pass the time sort of piece.
Nancy
Sep 07, 2008 Nancy rated it really liked it
Another Wooden Book (I have about 10). Very, very interesting material in this tiny book. Will open even a tightly closed mind. It's beautiful and feels like visual poetry to me. I loved it.
Jamie Rogers
A lot of scientific detail about the fact that all things extend from the pattern found within the flower of life, with the golden mean representing the greatest balance.
Peggy
Dec 30, 2011 Peggy marked it as ongoing-reference
Recommends it for: Miranda Herrick
FASCINATING! Want to get into this more and more to help inspire my art!
Clivemichael
Sep 24, 2014 Clivemichael rated it liked it
Shelves: science, history, design
Full of information. I was unable to digest it all in one read.
James
Mar 27, 2007 James rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mathematical artists
Perhaps the most succinct consideration of proportion and infinity.
Karen Bowman
Karen Bowman marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Kevin Williams
Kevin Williams marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Petri
Petri rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Bradley
Bradley is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2016
Nisha
Nisha marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Anthony Zappia
Anthony Zappia marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Asal frd
Asal frd marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Sivakumar Anandan
Sivakumar Anandan marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
  • How the World Is Made: The Story of Creation according to Sacred Geometry
  • Sacred Geometry
  • The Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe: The Mathematical Archetypes of Nature, Art, and Science
  • Sacred Geometry: Deciphering the Code
  • Math for Mystics: From the Fibonacci Sequence to Luna's Labyrinth to Golden Section and Other Secrets of Sacred Geometry
  • Initiation Into Hermetics
  • Chaos and Fractals: New Frontiers of Science
  • The Power of Limits: Proportional Harmonies in Nature, Art, and Architecture
  • The Fourth Dimension: A Guided Tour of the Higher Universes
  • The Temple in Man: Sacred Architecture and the Perfect Man
  • The Rebirth of Nature: The Greening of Science and God
  • The Expulsion of the Triumphant Beast
  • Theosophy: An Introduction to the Spiritual Processes in Human Life and in the Cosmos (Cw 9)
  • Walking a Sacred Path: Rediscovering the Labyrinth
  • The Rosicrucian Enlightenment (Routledge Classics)
  • The Complete Manual of Typography