Start by marking “Chasing the Dragon” as Want to Read:
Chasing the Dragon

Chasing the Dragon (North Beach Mystery #1)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A complicated, shadowy man in disgrace, Dante Mancuso leads a double life. Lately, though, the line he walks has become razor thin.

Dante works for The Company, a nebulous security organization operating just this side of the law. Dante wants out, but it's a hard life to leave behind-rich with its own seductions, its own dark attractions.

His latest assignment sends him ba
Published October 4th 2004 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Chasing the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing the Dragon

Adam
LJ
CHASING THE DRAGON (Unlicensed-San Francisco-Cont) – Ok
Domenic Stansberry – 6th book
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2004- Hardcover
Dante Mancuso, forced out after seven years with the San Francisco police, as been working around the world for “The Company.” They’ve now sent him back to San Francisco just at the time when his father has died. But when his uncle gives him photo negatives from his father, and his uncle is murdered, Dante questions his father’s death and what is behind it all.
*** The most in
Fussnik
loved it
Andrew
Noirish mystery that centers around drug and human trafficking in San Francisco ports. The end is filled with enough double crosses to make any Noir buff happy, but I found myself pining for a little bit of wisecracking from the hero. However, Stansberry's observational skills bring San Francisco's waterfront and Italian-American community to fabulous life. I will definitely check out the next in this series
John Onoda
This is a straightforward thriller, set in San Francisco. Since I live in the Bay Area, I'm always interested to see how authors portray the city and use its rich environment to tell a story. Author Domenic Stansberry does this well, especially when he delves into the Chinese and Italian communities that are settled next to each other on the north end of town.
Donald
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would! I loved the setting and the characters - North Beach, San Francisco and a bunch of Italians! Good action and a good mystery! And a pretty quick read too! A nice summer treat! I would definitely be interested in reading the next one!
Vicki Cline
The author successfully keeps up a sense of forboding and menace throughout the book. I'm more used to first person detective stories, but this kept me involved and worried about what was going to happen next. I'm looking forward to the next one in the series.
Stephanie
Best modern day hard-edged noir I've read in years. The next two in the series fall far short of their predecessor, but CHASING THE DRAGON is well worth reading if you're a picky noir fan.
Seth
Started out as a better-than-average crime thriller -- in a field where the average is pretty abysmal -- but didn't fulfill its promise. Another bedtime book that didn't do the job.
Tuck
why is this guy considered a good author? this was flat, not believable, not rough enough. good for the 4 door pickup morning donut crowd maybe.
Daryl
It was a good book, tho I suspect if I had read earlier books about this character I would have enjoyed it more.
Monique
A good page-turner. Nice descriptions of North Beach, Chinatown and other San Francisco locations. Decent plot.
Sloan
Interesting but not compelling. The flavor of North Beach surrounds a somewhat unfulfilling mystery.
Sarah Mellington-Smith
love a vampire story - especially with a werewolf!
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Will Ezell
Will Ezell marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jun 28, 2014
Marts  (Thinker)
Marts (Thinker) marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Domenic Stansberry is an Edgar Award winning novelist known for his dark, innovative crime novels. His most recent novel The Ancient Rain, is set in the aftermath of 9/ll, when a federal investigator re-opens murder charges in a politically charged slaying that occurred some thirty years before. Other books in the same series include The Big Boom and Chasing the Dragon.

An earlier novel, The Confes
More about Domenic Stansberry...

North Beach Mystery (4 books)
  • The Big Boom
  • The Ancient Rain (A North Beach Mystery)
  • Naked Moon
The Confession (Hard Case Crime #6) The Ancient Rain (A North Beach Mystery) The Last Days of Il Duce The Big Boom Naked Moon