Start by marking “Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline” as Want to Read:
Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline

Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Tales told through texting. Pinterest prose, LinkedIn lit, irony over Instagram – or Facebook flash fiction. Digital media is now an inescapable facet of how we live, and it influences what and how we read and write. Today’s fiction not only incorporates emails, iPads and even good old MySpace into storylines, but also integrates interactive conventions into the actual for ...more
Published September 1st 2013 by Great Plains Publications

Nathan Burgoine
"IMHO," by Marcy Rogers

This very short tale kicks off Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline, edited by Shawn Syms, and lets the reader know they're in for tales that go beyond the typical - and safe - ideas they might have been expecting.

Here we meet Jude, who has connected with Scott online - a man he's never met, but for whom very strong feelings have definitely grown. But it's not what you'd think, and in a very short space, Rogers gives you a sharp left turn, and then - boom - the
How fitting is it that I found out about the anthology Friend. Follow. Text.: #storiesFromLivingOnline on goodreads, and the editor Shawn Syms found out that I was interested in it on twitter, because I had written about it on my blog. He kindly sent me a pdf review copy to my email. Although this collection isn’t explicitly queer, the editor Shawn Syms is and so are quite a few of the contributors and/or their stories: Marcy Rogers, Zoe Whittall, Trevor Corkum, Megan Stielstra, K Tait Jarboe, D ...more
Noelle Walsh
I found this anthology to be a nice collection of stories based around technology and social media. I enjoyed reading it, going so far as to read a couple of the stories a second time. I'll be recommending this book, I think.

*Won on GoodReads First Reads*
Maria Nikic
This was a fun book to read! I enjoyed reading it !
This is a collection of short stories related to social media and technology. As my children always tease me about my lack of social media savvy, I wasn't sure if I would connect with the subject matter but I was pleasantly surprised. Each of the short stories grabbed my attention, they were well written and enjoyable.
An enjoyable, fun read.
Michael Bryson
Interesting collection of short fiction, and also interesting archive of all of the different social media platforms and the surprising diversity of "new media" (not really so new any more, right) opportunities for mediating human connection.

Is the transitory nature of human connection over-emphasized here? Has it become cliche that technology can only give us surface, not depth?

These stories both push against stereotype and confirm them. However, the diversity of authors as well as the wide ran
Caralyn Rubli
I received this book in a giveaway through Goodreads first reads. A book of short stories.Like every short story book there are some really good (IMHO by Marcy Rogers), some good, some bad and some really bad. All in all a very good collection. Part of one of the stories takes place at an Indian wedding in Brampton!!!!! Awesome!!!
Kate Baggott
Dec 28, 2013 Kate Baggott rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I really enjoyed the diverse collection of other authors' works in this anthology. Regardless of how you feel about social media, there is a distinct sense of the diversity and unity of human experience and community in this anthology.
Niya B
As a collection of short stories about life in a hyperconnected society goes, it is a good collection. There are diverse writing styles that touch on a breadth of subjects while never delving deep enough to expose the truly unsavory side of digital communications. There is the occasional frisson but nothing that leaves a lasting impact. Like most collections, it is easy enough to devour in a single sitting and then forget anything past the act of consumption.
Emily Mooney
Emily Mooney is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2015
Teal2001 marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Steve Karas
Apr 20, 2015 Steve Karas rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Donna added it
Feb 07, 2015
Antonia marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Gail marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Audrey Van petegem
Audrey Van petegem marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Anissa marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Hache marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Shawn Syms has written about culture, politics, gender and sexuality for the past 24 years. His essays and stories have appeared in 5 anthologies and his literary short fiction was shortlisted for the Journey Prize in 2009. His writing has appeared in over 50 publications, among them Spacing, The Globe and Mail, the National Post, The Rumpus and The Collagist. ...more
More about Shawn Syms...