Start by marking “Facing the Music” as Want to Read:
Facing the Music

Facing the Music

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  659 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
This is the work of a writer unafraid to gaze directly at characters challenged by crisis and pathology. But for readers who are willing to look, unblinkingly, along with the writer, there are unusual rewards.
Published January 9th 1996 by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Facing the Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facing the Music

Anthony Vacca
According to Larry Brown's first collection of short stories Facing the Music, some of the joys of life I get to look forward to over the next two decades are as follows: unfulfilling marriages, infidelity, unwanted children, domestic abuse, back problems, alcoholism, cancer, numbness, loneliness, unexpected run-ins with terminal violence, poverty and, naturally, suicide. Thanks, Larry! The second half of my twenties is already looking promising.

But before I crawl off into the nearest bottle of
Gea
Some very fine writing here. Larry Brown reminds me of Denis Johnson. Facing the Music is Southern grit lit with a dash of dark humor occasionally thrown in when you're not expecting it. These are sad souls, down on their luck, but full of desire and hot with yearning. Brown has a gift for character and dialog. One senses that he is absolutely capturing reality. I'm looking forward to reading one of his novels next.
Joseph
Nov 20, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most common mistakes one can make in judging a story is to base his/her judgment on whether or not he/she likes the subject matter or characters. Using such criteria has no place in serious criticism. I mention this only because fine writers like Raymond Carver and Larry Brown are occasionally dismissed because they often write about coarse or even disreputable major characters.

Still,focusing on the less than enviable folks who show up on the pages of so many of Larry Brown's stories
luciddreamer99
Dec 17, 2012 luciddreamer99 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Larry Brown has a distinct voice and tone to his work. The voice speaks to you from the page and the reader gets inside the heads of Brown's characters in an almost obsessive way. His stories of alcohol, infidelity, women, and romance never fail to amuse me. He is a masterful writer of the short story and this book is a nice sample of his work. I like some of these stories better than others, but I couldn't give this a lower rating because of the ones I did enjoy. When Brown is on point, he is a ...more
Sarah Pascarella
Jun 23, 2010 Sarah Pascarella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone seeking warm, fuzzy, reassuring stories should go elsewhere. Brown goes to the disturbingly honest places most people spend a lifetime trying to cover up. His spotlight on the darkness of our urges is mesmerizing. It's all done with economy, too -- this slim volume packs a surprising punch, and the characters haunted me for days. Brown is also willing to take risks with form, making the reader even more off-kilter.
Mark
May 24, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great collection. Seems like Brown was trying on voices with these stories. Hints of the masterful storytelling to come later in his novels. Funny, gritty, real. Classic Brown is glimpsed as he works in a variety of voices; maybe trying to settle on the one that would best tell the stories he was to tell later.

Liked this a great deal.
Martha
Brown was a great southern writer - these stories spin around a theme of people coming to a crux in their life - whether self created or not. Almost all come from a history of the stereotypical rough side of southern life, but the reader understands Brown has lived there, known these people, and been respectable honest about them.
Jennifer Blowdryer
There's a story that is him getting ready to write Joe - which I wanna read as I enjoyed the movie with Nicolas Cage plus some real people. Joe has the most true to life wino to wino murder you'll ever want to see, and the short story Samaritans is some true to life hardcore preview of all the low behavior the permanently betrayed betrayers are capable of. Pretty good loaner from Cassandra Dallett.
Casey
Jul 27, 2010 Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Big Bad Love a lot, and but I think this collection, Brown's first, is even better. It's what you would expect if you've ever read any of Brown's stories--lots of drinking, down-and-out men and women in failing relationships/marriages, violence, and, perhaps surprisingly, humor. Though he doesn't do this in every story, it's Brown is not afraid to allow a story to be funny, even if it's a deadly serious situation for the characters. That's hard to do.

Brown "experiments" in two stories:
Ann
Sep 19, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Facing The Music" is Larry Brown's first published book. Reading a Larry Brown's stories are like talking to a rural Mississippi white guy down on his luck. He has the wonderful gift of writing exactly like a person would talk...people with coolers of beer iced down in the back floorboards of their cars, always struggling with their women, jail, or losing their job...he could take the ordinary and make it extraordinary. He authored 10 books before his death in 2004, at the age of 53. He is high ...more
Betsy Robinson
Nov 25, 2014 Betsy Robinson rated it it was amazing
Whether he is writing the inner dialogue of a drunk black woman or a white farmer at the end of his rope or a boy seeking revenge for the death of his dog, there is something so raw and intimately, delicately human here. Brown distills the most private human confusion, shame, hubris, hurt, anger, and self-delusion into spare writing that goes into the reader like emotion pushed through an IV. I found myself rocking and moaning. The range and diversity of the writing is also perfection. He’ll pla ...more
Tuxlie
Jul 12, 2015 Tuxlie marked it as to-read

Facing the Music, Larry Brown’s first book, was originally published in 1988 to wide critical acclaim. As the St. Petersburg Times review pointed out, the central theme of these ten stories “is the ageless collision of man with woman, woman with man--with the frequent introduction of that o

Lady R.E. Miller
The story "Kubuku Rides" scared the crap out of me, so much in fact, that I actually started drinking less! I thought this story and the title story were best, but overall a wonderful book.

p.s. If anyone can tell me what "Kubuku" means or where Larry Brown got that title I'd be very grateful.
Jack Sonni
Mar 21, 2015 Jack Sonni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
like a baseball bat to the head...and sometimes that's just what you need and want from a writer! sharply drawn characters and the ability to place the reader inside not only the world these characters inhabit but inside their heads to create a visceral experience. these are not pretty people but they are very real. i can think of very few times i've literally had the wind knocked out of me by a writer's work, being forced to put the book down in order to catch my breath. a GREAT writer - a word ...more
Mitch Duckworth
Make it a 3.5 star rating . . . My love and admiration for Larry Brown are boundless (thanks again, Derrick Reider, for recommending I read him), but I'm very happy to have consumed this debut collection of stories only after absorbing such novels as Joe, and Dirty Work beforehand. Had I read this title first, I would have found LB novels eventually, but my approach would have been less enthusiastic and occurred only somewhere down the road.

Facing the Music appeared early (1988) in the Brown leg
Paul
Aug 17, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A truly striking collection of disparate and desperate characters from the back lanes and dive bars, and the woodlands and cotton fields of North Mississippi.

***

1) Facing The Music -

In with a bang. One husband contemplates his fidelity while his wife hopes to distract him from watching the late movie on TV... A very powerful opening salvo you won't easily forget.

2) Kubuku Rides (This Is it) -

A heartbreaking portrayal of secrets and lies, and addiction within the family.

3) The Rich -

A revealin
Erikaaaa
Nov 09, 2008 Erikaaaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this. First time i've read Larry Brown, and the first/title story won me over at once. It was super Raymond Carver right off the bat, but that works for me. The opening story is beautiful, first and last sentences killed me.

The whole collection is depressing without a doubt, gave me a gross feeling every time i picked the book up. Lots of alcoholism, dismal marriages, and the like. He worked with these themes well. Dogs -- dead ones -- seem to be a small theme throughout the book, a
Steven
Apr 14, 2008 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
The stories in the collection are a mixture of experimentalism, and traditional stories with down-n-out Carver characters. In the traditional stories Brown does a couple of things really well. He captures character voice; you can hear these characters talking as they narrate. The other thing is he gets his characters to the point where they know they are screwing up, puts them right at the point where all they have to do is stop, even has them express it, but they continue on. He does this a few ...more
Michael Smith
Jul 22, 2014 Michael Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern-fiction
I finally got around to reading Larry Brown's FIRST book, years after I started reading his others like JOE and FAY and DIRTY WORK. FACING THE MUSIC is a great collection of short stories that are as true to my Southern roots as sweet iced tea and a piece of peach pie. These characters are real people. Working people. People with issues. Lustful people. People with problems. Real people with no sugar coating. There are a couple of experimental styles within the collection that made me scratch my ...more
Richard
Jan 19, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Larry Brown's first published work, a collection of 10 short stories. As the title of the book, and also the first story in the collection indicate the overarching theme of the tales in this work are about facing the consequences of some action either occurring in the story or in a characters past. The characters whilst all having a distinctly Southern flavour are magnificently varied and colourful. Larry Brown experiments with a number of story telling structures, from one story made up of sent ...more
Eldonfoil TH*E Whatever Champion
....stories that I liked a lot---Facing the Music, Samaritans (except for the last 4 sentences), Night Life, (even) Leaving Town, and The End of Romance.

....stories that bored/annoyed me, mostly due to "contemporary writing techniques"---Kubuku Rides, The Rich, Old Frank and Jesus, Boy and Dog, Julie: A Memory.

so I can give 4 stars based on the ones that treated me real right.
Andy
Jul 05, 2007 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a couple of stories that I really responded to - the one about the farmer; the story about the carless bar guy with his barroom floozy. The story about the boy who threw the brick.

Some observations: It seems like the majority of the male characters in the book have suffered a very large betrayal, and most of them also share a kind of helplessness. Also, the relationship between men and dogs is an interesting subject in the book.

The writing was pretty good - but at times I felt like a
Roberta
Dec 31, 2015 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short stories that get right to the heart of the matter-- hard up characters in impossible situations-- Brown makes them real and sympathetic.
Oliver Bateman
Dec 24, 2009 Oliver Bateman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An underrated collection of short stories: "The Rich" is an uproarious profile of a travel agent who serves the wealthy, "Night Life" is an affecting examination of the barriers between men and women, and "The End of Romance" is the most innovative break-up story I've ever read. I despise these "sorta like A and sorta like B" descriptions, but Brown is best understood as a cross between Hubert Selby Jr. and Raymond Carver: He's more understated than the former and more sincere than the latter. F ...more
Holly
Jul 29, 2015 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title story of this collection knocked me back. Larry Brown has a knack for writing that hits the gut.
Shya
Feb 19, 2009 Shya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
True to its description, the first story in this collection was deliciously sad, bringing to mind Carver with its unhappy, booze-fueled anti-romance. But like most of Brown's characters, it went downhill from there. The grace notes are awkward, and the epiphanies forced (in the second story, the final scene involves the main character's husband turning off the porch light as she leaves to go buy booze). Because of the author's subject matter and writing style, I can see why Barry Hannah was aske ...more
Mar 04, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-list
With the exception of a couple of confusing Faulknerlike stories, I enjoyed the different and dark characters. I will read more by this author.
Thad
Jan 24, 2008 Thad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's rare to read an author for the first time and to have the feeling that you are going to read everything they've ever done. Facing the Music is a powerful collection of short stories. Brown doesn't shy away from showing you the ugliness in human beings or in the hands that the world can deal them. He can be brutally honest and won't show you the light at the end of the tunnel if there isn't one. I was impressed with how well developed the characters were in these shorts. I'm looking forward ...more
Twistedtexas
Aug 29, 2015 Twistedtexas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8.5/10
Guy Salvidge
Oct 08, 2014 Guy Salvidge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some stories, including the title one, were excellent, while others were merely decent. My favourite was called 'Leaving Town'. Pretty soon I'll have read all of Larry Brown, the way I'm going. He's a good writer.
  • High Lonesome
  • The Lost Country
  • Shiloh and Other Stories
  • The Half-Mammals of Dixie
  • Same Place, Same Things: Stories

Larry Brown was an American writer who was born and lived in Oxford, Mississippi. Brown wrote fiction and nonfiction. He graduated from high school in Oxford but did not go to college. Many years later, he took a creative writing class from the Mississippi novelist Ellen Dou
More about Larry Brown...

“I can understand why people jump off bridges.” 36 likes