Start by marking “Understanding a Photograph (Penguin Modern Classics)” as Want to Read:
Understanding a Photograph (Penguin Modern Classics)

Understanding a Photograph (Penguin Modern Classics)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
John Berger's writings on photography are some of the most original of the twentieth century. This selection contains many groundbreaking essays and previously uncollected pieces written for exhibitions and catalogues in which Berger probes the work of photographers such as Henri Cartier-Bresson and W. Eugene Smith - and the lives of those photographed - with fierce engage ...more
Paperback, Penguin Modern Classics, 256 pages
Published November 7th 2013 by Penguin Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Understanding a Photograph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding a Photograph

Kutşın Sancaklı
John Berger eşliğinde galeri galeri gezmek gibi kitap.. Sadece fotoğrafı değil toplum-birey ilişkisini, kültürel ve siyasi suretleri de anlamak adına pek çok pencere aralıyor.

Donald McCullin fotoğraflarıyla, savaş fotoğraflarının fütursuzca yayınlanmasının altını dolduruyor. August Sander'in takım elbiseliler fotoğrafı üzerinden kültürel hegemonyayı açıklıyor. Chris Killip aracılığıyla bireyselliğin kör kayıtsızlığına dem vuruyor. Paul Strand'ın panoramik olandan kaçarak bir şehri bir sokakta b
Mel
Dec 21, 2014 Mel rated it really liked it
Need an intellectual fix to help review your next photography show? Then Berger is your man. Expand your mind.
Rajiv Chopra
Dec 27, 2015 Rajiv Chopra rated it really liked it
The book is a classic. John Berger's book deconstructs much about photographs, and reconstructs them again. The writing may seem simple enough, but it delves deep into the art and philosophy of photography, as well as the art of some of the photographers.

It is, however, advisable to read up on the photographers he talks about before you read the book, else some of it may not make too much sense. Or, read about them after you read the book, and then re-read the book.

I am not sure why he held suc
Eylem
Mar 29, 2016 Eylem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bir fotoğraf konuşur mu? Yoksa biz ona baktığımızda, gördüğümüz imajları; tarihsel, toplumsal veya ideolojik bağlamda imgelemimizde, bize anımsattıkları, çağrıştırdıkları çerçevesinde mi onu yorumlarız? Fotoğrafın çekildiği o an'a ait koşullar ile bizim baktığımız an'da gördüğümüz şey(ler), dünyadaki yer tutuculuğumuza göre sayısız olasılık içeriyor. Bu olasılıklar fotoğrafın güncel bir imajının olmasına, kişisel geçmişimize ya da duygularımıza ait bağlamlara göre çeşitleniyor . John Berger'e gö ...more
Dan
John Berger isn't writing about photography as much as he is writing with photography. This is my first reading of any of his work and I have mixed feelings. I have to admit I didn't get much out of Sontag's "On Photography" On Photography nor Barthes' "Camera Lucida" Camera Lucida: Reflections on Photography and Berger's writing is in a similar vein. That said, there were some pieces that I did enjoy, while others were more dense than I like.

Here are some of the photos and photographers he wrot
Bojan Fürst
Thought provoking, but a bit uneven. Berger has an interesting writing style and some of the essays in this collection read almost like unfinished notes to himself, which makes them intriguing, but occasionally I wished for more context.
Petras
Nov 05, 2015 Petras rated it really liked it
A nice collection of short articles by John Berger provides an interesting and different view into the world of photography.
Yun Peng
May 13, 2014 Yun Peng rated it really liked it
A good read though I constantly need to go to the web to look at photos to see what was referred to.
Santo
Dec 15, 2015 Santo rated it liked it
Pensavo meglio..Diverse interpretazioni sulla fotografia. Interessante ma non entusiasmante.
Vuk Trifkovic
Oct 04, 2014 Vuk Trifkovic rated it it was ok
Berger sets a high bar, but this collection is too bitty for me.
Gueorgui
Feb 05, 2015 Gueorgui rated it it was amazing
Very good! Some of the essays are attached to particular series of photographs, not all of which are reproduced in the book. Look them up online as you read!
Jenny
Apr 14, 2014 Jenny rated it it was ok
I quite liked it. It was interesting but a bit mixed. For me the earlier pieces were most interesting, particularly the essay "The Suit and the Photograph" and the one about André Kertész's "A Red Hussar Leaving, June 1919, Budapest". It made me go to reread "Ways of Seeing".
John
Jan 21, 2016 John rated it it was ok
The writings of John Berger are as thought-provoking as they were in Ways of Seeing , however the reproductions of photographs are lacking in quality and quantity. So many of the essays, articles, letters and poems lose context and with it, power.
Sean 韓谷陳H (HTCH)
Mar 06, 2016 Sean 韓谷陳H (HTCH) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography, art, essay
It's a mix between theoretical essays and sometimes very nontraditional writings on particular photo series. I found the theoretical essays to be my favorite, ymmv
Tobias Skog
May 26, 2015 Tobias Skog rated it liked it
For a book about photography, it does not feature a lot of actual photographs. I felt like I needed a visual companion.
Kitty
Kitty is currently reading it
May 02, 2016
Sezi Yelken
Sezi Yelken rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Ankur Dutta
Ankur Dutta marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Nurmrc
Nurmrc marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
İdil Korkut
İdil Korkut marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Ceyhun Sevil
Ceyhun Sevil marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Okşan Tavaslıoğlu
Okşan Tavaslıoğlu is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2016
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Anna Emsiņa
Anna Emsiņa marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Orçun Günaydın
Orçun Günaydın marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Daniel
Daniel added it
Daniel
Daniel added it
Forename
Forename rated it liked it
Ciara
Ciara marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
  • The Ongoing Moment
  • Aisthesis: Scenes from the Aesthetic Regime of Art
  • Stieglitz: Camera Work
  • Robert Adams: Beauty in Photography: Essays in Defense of Traditional Values
  • The Photograph as Contemporary Art (World of Art)
  • Looking at Photographs: 100 Pictures from the Collection of the Museum of Modern Art
  • Henri Cartier-Bresson: A Biography
  • Photography Changes Everything
  • Always Looking: Essays on Art
  • A Face to the World: On Self Portraits
  • Visual Methodologies: An Introduction to the Interpretation of Visual Materials
  • Tao of Photography: Seeing Beyond Seeing
  • Photography: A Critical Introduction
  • Instant Love: How to Make Magic and Memories with Polaroids
  • On n'y voit rien : descriptions
  • Writings on Art and Literature (Meridian)
  • Still Life with a Bridle: Essays and Apocryphas
  • After Photography
John Peter Berger is an English art critic, novelist, painter and author. His novel G. won the 1972 Booker Prize, and his essay on art criticism Ways of Seeing, written as an accompaniment to a BBC series, is often used as a college text.

Later he was self exiled to continental Europe, living between the french Alps in summer and the suburbs of Paris in winter. Since then, his production has increa
More about John Berger...

“A photograph is not necessarily a lie, but it isn’t the truth either. It’s more like a fleeting, subjective impression.” 1 likes