Start by marking “Understanding a Photograph (Penguin Modern Classics)” as Want to Read:
Understanding a Photograph (Penguin Modern Classics)

Understanding a Photograph (Penguin Modern Classics)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  7 reviews
John Berger's writings on photography are some of the most original of the twentieth century. This selection contains many groundbreaking essays and previously uncollected pieces written for exhibitions and catalogues in which Berger probes the work of photographers such as Henri Cartier-Bresson and W. Eugene Smith - and the lives of those photographed - with fierce engage ...more
Paperback, Penguin Modern Classics, 256 pages
Published November 7th 2013 by Penguin Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Understanding a Photograph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding a Photograph

Mel
Need an intellectual fix to help review your next photography show? Then Berger is your man. Expand your mind.
Dan
John Berger isn't writing about photography as much as he is writing with photography. This is my first reading of any of his work and I have mixed feelings. I have to admit I didn't get much out of Sontag's "On Photography" On Photography nor Barthes' "Camera Lucida" Camera Lucida: Reflections on Photography and Berger's writing is in a similar vein. That said, there were some pieces that I did enjoy, while others were more dense than I like.

Here are some of the photos and photographers he wrot
Bojan Fürst
Thought provoking, but a bit uneven. Berger has an interesting writing style and some of the essays in this collection read almost like unfinished notes to himself, which makes them intriguing, but occasionally I wished for more context.
Yun Peng
A good read though I constantly need to go to the web to look at photos to see what was referred to.
Vuk Trifkovic
Berger sets a high bar, but this collection is too bitty for me.
Gueorgui
Very good! Some of the essays are attached to particular series of photographs, not all of which are reproduced in the book. Look them up online as you read!
Jenny
I quite liked it. It was interesting but a bit mixed. For me the earlier pieces were most interesting, particularly the essay "The Suit and the Photograph" and the one about André Kertész's "A Red Hussar Leaving, June 1919, Budapest". It made me go to reread "Ways of Seeing".
Angela Bong
Angela Bong marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Tobias Skog
Tobias Skog is currently reading it
Mar 23, 2015
Brian Richards
Brian Richards is currently reading it
Mar 23, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Aaron
Aaron added it
Mar 18, 2015
Jordan Walters
Jordan Walters marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Cat Armijos
Cat Armijos marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Raminta
Raminta marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Nikhil Anand
Nikhil Anand marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Dieguin
Dieguin marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Carlo
Carlo marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Riina
Riina added it
Feb 10, 2015
Rl
Rl marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Aisthesis: Scenes from the Aesthetic Regime of Art
  • The Ongoing Moment
  • The Photograph as Contemporary Art (World of Art)
  • Looking at Photographs: 100 Pictures from the Collection of the Museum of Modern Art
  • Collezione di sabbia
  • Stieglitz: Camera Work
  • Robert Adams: Beauty in Photography: Essays in Defense of Traditional Values
  • Visual Methodologies: An Introduction to the Interpretation of Visual Materials
  • Always Looking: Essays on Art
  • The Invisible Dragon: Essays on Beauty
  • Tao of Photography: Seeing Beyond Seeing
  • Writings on Art and Literature (Meridian)
  • Street Photography Now
  • Laocoon: An Essay on the Limits of Painting and Poetry
  • La morte a Venezia/Tristano/Tonio Kröger
  • My Face for the World to See
  • A World History of Photography by Naomi Rosenblum
  • Pictures & Tears: A History of People Who Have Cried in Front of Paintings
John Peter Berger is an English art critic, novelist, painter and author. His novel G. won the 1972 Booker Prize, and his essay on art criticism Ways of Seeing, written as an accompaniment to a BBC series, is often used as a college text.
More about John Berger...
Ways of Seeing About Looking G. To the Wedding And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos