Start by marking “The Pleasure of His Company: A Journey To Intimate Friendship with God” as Want to Read:
The Pleasure of His Company: A Journey To Intimate Friendship with God

The Pleasure of His Company: A Journey To Intimate Friendship with God

4.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Popular Author Invites Readers to Intimacy with God
In one of his most personal books yet, Dutch Sheets shares life lessons he has learned for cultivating an intimate relationship with God. Each of the thirty short chapters reveals a simple practice or biblical mindset that will help draw readers away from the noise of life and into the Lord's peaceful presence.
Published February 4th 2014 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Pleasure of His Company, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pleasure of His Company

Karen Roberts
Feb 08, 2014 Karen Roberts rated it it was amazing

Dutch Sheets addresses a much-needed subject for today's busy Christian in The Pleasure of His Company. Sheets walks the reader through the Bible to examine followers like David, Joshua, Paul, Jesus, and even Samson. Throughout the book of short meditations, he peppers his writing with practical, everyday applications, many times stemming from his relationships and marriage.

Sheets ends each devotion with a prayer focused upon the Scriptures covering the chapter's topic. He lists the Scriptures a
Kimberly
Dec 09, 2013 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading Pleasure of His Company: A Journey to Intimate Friendship With God by Dutch Sheets tremendously. It has 30 fabulous chapters full of ideas to bring you closer to God.

Yes I LOVE the idea of God being the life of the Heaven's Party and dancing at the return of a lost soul.
I too want Jesus to be my friend and walk with me daily, sharing in the good and the bad. Laughing and crying along me.

This book will help you get to know the Lord on a more intimate level. In this fast paced
Virginia
Jun 06, 2015 Virginia rated it really liked it
What would it mean in your daily life if you knew God, the Creator of the Universe desired to spend time with you? What if you could truly find pleasure in His company?

Sound like an impossibility? Something reserved for a select few, none of which happen to be you?

World-reknown author and speaker, Dutch Sheets, has written a book sharing his life stories on how he cultivated, and continues to cultivate a personal, deep relationship with Jesus. He has found pleasure in His company and he can’t ke
Linda Walters
I found that each chapter has a prayer in it so it offers up the opportunity to be interactive with your faith and what you read. I like that at the end of each prayer is the notations of the scriptures that have been used in it.
One of my favorite explanations in this book is about God seeking worshippers. I have heard that said and explained quite a few times in quite a few different ways. But what I got out of it this time is that God longs for the singer of the song. For songs fresh from the
Veronica
I really enjoyed this book and felt it had a lot of great information. I loved how it was pointed out that God desires to have a personal relationship with you and that He pursues you and rejoices over you! He talks about how we have to make spending time with God a priority, no matter how busy we are. Only we can make that decision and we have to remember that that's the most important thing, not doing good works or being busy for the Lord. I really enjoyed the many word studies and how a verse ...more
Joanne Viola
Mar 13, 2015 Joanne Viola rated it it was amazing
Let a crisis hit, a wound reopen, or fear strike and you soon find out who it is you want to call. There is something about the person who is close to God which draws you to them in the time of need. I have found this to be true time and time again in my own life.

I am currently reading, The Pleasure of His Company: A Journey to Intimate Friendship With God by Dutch Sheets. The author shares life lessons and Bible stories which illustrate how to cultivate an intimate relationship with God. Sheets
Jordan Mierek
Mar 11, 2015 Jordan Mierek rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of THE PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY: A JOURNEY TO INTIMATE FRIENDSHIP WITH GOD by Dutch Sheets from Bethany House. This is a pleasant, inspiring read that includes thirty chapters. I found myself enjoying each chapter, and upon completion of the chapter, I would set the book aside to contemplate what I had read. The chapters also sparked familial conversations.

Dutch Sheets uses thoughtful prose and real life examples, which make the book more personal. I prefer when the authors of
Cosmé
Mar 29, 2015 Cosmé rated it liked it
Shelves: bethany-house
Overview:
The Pleasure of His Company was a very good book. Mr. Sheets made some very good points in quick, easy-to-read chapters. Nearly every point was backed up with a personal life experience as well as a passage from the Bible. Some chapters included life experiences or notes from other people/authors. Following those, Mr. Sheets discussed the point he made in humorous conversational writing.

Pros:
Many of the points that were made were out of the ordinary and not something I might have though
Cheryl
Feb 04, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Book Review: The Pleasure of His Company by Dutch Sheets

book-review
A Journey to Intimate Friendship with God. That’s the subtitle to this book. A journey it is. This book is not a step-by-step list of things to do nor is this book a deep theological work, but a journey of sorts. Not traveling from one place to another, but more about who you are traveling with, in this case, God.

I found this book to be a very enjoyable read. I especially enjoyed the author’s genuineness and authenticity. Glimps
Caroline
Feb 02, 2014 Caroline rated it really liked it
The Pleasure of His Company by Dutch Sheets (Bethany House, 2014) addresses some of the ways we can redirect our focus to Him.

With 30 shorter chapters (of about 8-10 pages each), this book can be used as a month-long devotional, or just a regular non-fiction read. Each chapter focuses on one part of the relationship between believer and God (examples: “The Discovery,” “The Friendship,” “The Offering”). The author uses a conversational tone combined with biblical discussion and study to look at h
Hope
Jan 06, 2015 Hope rated it it was amazing
I received a copy from Bethany House Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

The Pleasure of His Company by Dutch Sheets consists of 30 easily digestible chapters. I would recommend this as a devotional to start a friendship with God. For many Christians, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are accessible while God remains a mystery. Take the box labeled for a rainy day off the shelf, and get to know Him through life lessons and practices shared by Sheets.

I appreciated the biblical references, as wel
Barbara Repan
Aug 13, 2015 Barbara Repan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I absolutely loved this book. I feel this book helped me draw closer to my Father after realizing more how He wants us to spend time with Him; quiet, uninterrupted time with Him. My mind cannot wrap around the King of the Universe wanting a relationship with me. But I’m grateful He does. It gives God pleasure to spend time with His children. Any father should desire to spend time with their children and God is no different.
The Pleasure of His Company is about closeness with God by seeking His he
Jill
Feb 13, 2014 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In his new book, "The Pleasure of His Company", Dutch Sheets shares lessons he has learned to help us draw closer to God and cultivate a "real" relationship with Him. Personal stories aside, Sheets presents the wonder of spending time in God's presence in an encouraging tone. When we spend time in God's presence, we learn. We are encouraged and God draws us to Himself.

God doesn't desire worship as much as He longs to spend time with His children. This is the message Sheets wants us to learn. Sh
Noreen Taylor
Feb 12, 2014 Noreen Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dutch Sheets has been a favorite author of mine since we lived in northern California. I have read many of his books on prayer and over the years found him to be authentic and accurate in his perspective. I have kept several of his books in my library, even as I weeded books out to give away. The subtitle of this book is A Journey To Intimate Friendship With God. This book is excellent; can be read as a devotional or just a reference. No matter where you are in your spiritual walk, this book wou ...more
C.E. Hart
Sep 10, 2015 C.E. Hart rated it really liked it
Shelves: devotional
Dutch Sheets invites us to cultivate a deeper, more intimate relationship with God. With biblical stories as references, The Pleasure of HIS Company displays our God in vivid color.

In our everyday life we meet strangers, encounter friends and acquaintances, create new relationships, or even fall in love. And we realize that there are certain things expected to transpire. Perhaps we learn their names, what they like and dislike, etc… Well, this book does just that. It reveals our God, the essence
Hallie Szott
Mar 10, 2015 Hallie Szott is currently reading it
This review is also posted on Book by Book.

The Pleasure of His Company by Dutch Sheets addresses the important topic of spending time in God’s company. In the journey within these pages, Sheets explores various aspects of the pleasure of God’s company, offering relevant personal stories and connected, encouraging Scriptures. The book is divided into quick, manageable chapters, making The Pleasure of His Company perfect to use as a daily devotional reading. Overall, I greatly appreciated Sheets’
Lisa
Jul 28, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I am a huge Dutch Sheets fan, and his book Intercessory Prayer is one of my all-time favorites. He has set the bar very high for himself!

The Pleasure of His Company is a beautiful devotional. With 30 short chapters, it should be read as such instead of as in-depth study like the aforementioned book. Don't get me wrong, there are nuggets of gold and wisdom in every chapter of this book. However, it's hard not to compare it to IP.

Apostle Sheets uses humor, personal examples, analogies and script
Mel
Apr 05, 2014 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In his newest book, Dutch Sheets discusses having a relationship with God. Mr. Sheets speaks of his own experiences and illustrates practical ways in which we can practice being in the presence of God. He also writes of the circumstances that can get in the way of our relationship with God such as distractions. The author uses examples of individuals from the Bible to illustrate the importance of a relationship with God. I enjoyed the depth and the examples of how we can practice a relationship ...more
Joan
Jan 23, 2014 Joan rated it it was amazing
This is a challenging yet encouraging book. What if the very God of the universe requested the pleasure of your company? He does and Sheets explores what that means. Reading this book makes me realize we are living so far below what God has in mind for us. Having a personal relationship with God takes time and effort. But what could be more important? See my full review at http://bit.ly/1f97msW.
Catherine
Jul 06, 2014 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic. A book that moved me to tears and to laughter equally. Highly recommended.
Sherri Hayes
Jun 13, 2015 Sherri Hayes rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book. I read one chapter a day as a daily devotional over 30 days
and absolutely loved it.
Dutch always does a marvelous job of bringing Biblical stories to everyday life.

The final paragraph sums it up beautifully.
Deralyn Mitchell
I loved it
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Manuel Velasco
Manuel Velasco marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Viorelia Janina
Viorelia Janina marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Shauna
Shauna rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Kris G
Kris G marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Andreea
Andreea marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
  • Heaven Touching Earth: True Stories of Angels, Miracles, and Heavenly Encounters
  • Dirty Faith: Bringing the Love of Christ to the Least of These
  • 30 Events That Shaped the Church: Learning from Scandal, Intrigue, War, and Revival
  • Glory Days: Living Your Promised Land Life Now
  • Day I Met Jesus: The Revealing Diaries of Five Women from the Gospels
  • The A to Z Guide to Bible Signs and Symbols: Understanding Their Meaning and Significance
  • Against the Flow: The Inspiration of Daniel in an Age of Relativism
  • The Beauty of Grace: Stories of God's Love from Today's Most Popular Writers
  • The Bible's Answers to 100 of Life's Biggest Questions
  • The Stress Cure: Praying Your Way to Personal Peace
  • Stronger: How Hard Times Reveal God's Greatest Power
  • Gospel Formed: Living a Grace-Addicted, Truth-Filled, Jesus-Exalting Life
  • Treasury of Bible Stories: Rhythmical Rhymes of Biblical Times (Magnificent Tales Series)
  • Face to Face with Jesus: A Former Muslim's Extraordinary Journey to Heaven and Encounter with the God of Love
  • From Good to Grace: Letting Go of the Goodness Gospel
  • Life Unstuck: Finding Peace with Your Past, Purpose in Your Present, Passion for Your Future
  • 50 Women Every Christian Should Know: Learning from Heroines of the Faith
  • God, Me, and Sweet Iced Tea: Experiencing God in the Midst of Everyday Moments