Start by marking “A Secret Star” as Want to Read:
A Secret Star

A Secret Star

Sometimes there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes... there's not. Because true light doesn't appear at the end of a long, hard road. True light comes from within. Most of the time, however, we live unaware of this secret shine, and it is not found until someone shows us that it's there. During the hardest times of her life, Natalie Winters struggled with what ...more
Published July 23rd 2013 by Tate Publishing & Enterprises

To ask other readers questions about A Secret Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Secret Star

Carrie Adair
Dec 11, 2015 Carrie Adair rated it it was amazing
A Secret Star, by Krystyne F. Aleksandr, tells the true story of a girl who grew up in an abusive household. Set in Amarillo, Texas, this is the memoir of her childhood in the foster care system and in a horrific home. It also focuses on her faith and hope for a better future.

I wanted to read this for a long time, but it was difficult to find a copy of it. That surprised me since it was published two years ago. It is not available as an ebook, according to Amazon, which narrowed my options.

This
Lois
Jul 05, 2014 Lois rated it it was amazing
Last Sunday I heard Krystyne Aleksandr speak at our church. I bought the book there and finished it yesterday. Seldom do I read a book in less than a week unless it is totally compelling. This was.

I found myself completely mystified that the "system" could be so completely broken, that one foster family could be so horribly abusive for twelve years and that one little girl could have such a horrible life that no one would rescue her.

This truly is a heart-wrenching story of one person's journey t
Jenn Engle
Sep 14, 2014 Jenn Engle rated it really liked it
As awful as it is to say, I was not shocked by the things in this book. It was an emotional experience to read a first-hand account, and I do feel so much sympathy for the author, but that system IS broken. As a foster parent, I believe we take a special vow to be better than biological parents in every aspect of our children's raising because their lives have been such an unfair struggle by the time we meet them.

I'm glad such an honest & raw book is out in the mainstream to raise awareness
Cynthia
Mar 18, 2015 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
The girl who wrote this book is from Amarillo, TX. The story is true and based on her life in the foster care system and her abuse as a child growing up in Texas. I could relate to her life and her story. There was one point where I had to not read the book for about 3 days because the abuse was so horrific. But I wanted to know what happened and read the rest. Well written, but very sad.
Debbie Leal
Mar 21, 2014 Debbie Leal rated it it was amazing
I started and finished this book in one day. It is such a heart rending story of how children can fall through the cracks of the foster system. She has turned an unbelievably horror filled situation into a miraculous future for herself and thanks Good for seeing her through it. May God continue to bless you Ktystyne.
Courtney
Jun 13, 2014 Courtney rated it liked it
I found that I couldn't put the book down. The foster care system robbed her of her childhood, but made her the person she is today..a strong woman who is finding her way. My only critique of the book was the enormous amount of grammatical errors. The proofreader missed the boat.
Sabrena
Sabrena rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Charlene Fausak
Charlene Fausak rated it did not like it
Oct 06, 2015
Kelsey Ansley
Kelsey Ansley rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2013
Tyson
Tyson rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Donita
Donita rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Gaye Sougstad
Gaye Sougstad rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2013
Richard Gravley
Richard Gravley rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2013
Abbey
Abbey marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Michy
Michy marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
justablondemoment
justablondemoment marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Mikayla Smith
Mikayla Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Alex Kwan
Alex Kwan marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Ashley Brummett
Ashley Brummett marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Julia Legian
Julia Legian marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Peskiepaw
Peskiepaw marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Shka
Shka marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Esther Prosser
Esther Prosser marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Tan Ward
Tan Ward marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Cristina Si daniel
Cristina Si daniel marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Debora
Debora marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Jessica Weishaar schenk
Jessica Weishaar schenk marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Tiffany Hernandez
Tiffany Hernandez marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Stacey Marie
Stacey Marie marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Carmen Thompson
Carmen Thompson marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016