Start by marking “Rien ne va plus” as Want to Read:
Rien ne va plus

Rien ne va plus

3.48  ·  Rating Details ·  1,252 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
Cela fait plus de dix ans que David Armitage, aspirant scénariste à Hollywood, rame, attiré irrésistiblement par le mirage de la célébrité. Dix ans de galères qui ont eu raison des rêves d'actrice de sa femme Lucy. Dix longues années qui ont dégradé leur relation, seulement égayée par la présence de la petite Caitlin... Mais, alors qu'il est sur le point de perdre tout esp ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 443 pages
Published June 2004 by Pocket (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Rien ne va plus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rien ne va plus

Asghar Abbas
Dec 04, 2015 Asghar Abbas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

After finishing Oliver's superb Vanishing Girls, an abundantly well written gem of a novel, I needed to detox and recover emotionally, haha don't laugh. But I still wanted to read a human book before doing any dancing with the fae again. So I read this because people in Kennedy's books are more human than the humans around us.

As I read this, this about ups and downs of being a writer and the usual pitfalls, it felt like a milder version of Fools Die and oddly enough our hero sounded like Dexter
Lidia
Aug 11, 2016 Lidia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magnífica novela, como siempre, Kennedy no decepciona. Una historia sobre el éxito, la suerte, la caída, las buenas y malas decisiones, los afectos movidos por los intereses. Y la importancia del momento, el momento que lo cambia todo (recurrente siempre en este autor). Plagado de referencias artísticas como siempre: cine, arte, música.
Mención aparte se la lleva Esther Roig y su magnífica traducción.
Nicola
Mar 25, 2008 Nicola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of higher quality easy-reading books!
Having read several other Douglas Kennedy books I thought I'd give this one a go and wasn't disappointed. This is the first one I've read that wasn't written from a woman's perspective (something I found particularly impressive about the other books seeing as the writer is a man) but it was still a pageturner. Didn't make me think as much as his other books, but was still worth the read.
Krasimira
Apr 03, 2017 Krasimira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Susanne
I remember where I was whilst reading this book, my husband and I were house sitting for a friend, I was pregnant and kept getting interrupted by my now son doing summersaults when I was in bed trying to read! Other than that I remember thinking that this book was a bit tame, lame, disappointing compared to his earlier works.
Megan
Sep 16, 2007 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Kennedy though not quite enjoyable as 'State of the Union', to be fair, 'State of the Union' was partly set in the late 60's and that might have something to do with why I preferred it.
Tracey Tester
I've read quite a few books by this author and this was the first one that wasn't written from the female perspective - perhaps that was why I didn't enjoy it quite as much as previous books.

The story line was okay - but I did feel it was fairly predictable.
Denise
Dec 26, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Witty, dark humor, good plot, great character development
Recommended to Denise by: Nobody
Shelves: fiction
I'm relatively new to Douglas Kennedy but I have not been disappointed by any of his books. This book is no exception. It's the story of an aspiring writer who made the big time, lost it and then got it back again. Loved it!
Melissa M
Dec 01, 2010 Melissa M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very enjoyable read! There is something about Douglas Kennedy books, each one keeps me captivated till the final page.

Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
May 26, 2012 Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Temptation by Douglas Kennedy is a fictional book which takes the reader on a ride from the height of success to the lows in life. What happens when a gilded door opens to a man who suddenly has ample opportunities and Hollywood clout?

David Armitage, a Hollywood screen writer, has gotten his big break. One of his scripts was bought for TV and hailed as ingenious.
David reinvents himself, walks out on his wife and daughter and is hired by Philip Fleck, a billionaire, to work on a very strange coll
Jillian
Apr 13, 2012 Jillian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I keep scratching my head and wondering why it is that every other review I’ve read of this book talks about how utterly amazing it is and I keep asking myself why I felt bored while I was reading it. Other reviews of Temptation: A Novel by Douglas Kennedy discuss how “thrilling the ride” is while turning the pages and how they were “enraptured by the story” and I just keep thinking, “Really? Because I had a hard time forcing myself to pick it up.”

Initially, the story did start off with a promis
Matthew Schroth
Temptation is a classic tale of the dangers of ambition. David Armitrage, the main character, struggles for much of his early career in virtual anonymity trying to make it as a screenwriter. Finally he gets his pay day, and is quick to forget those who stuck with him through the hard times to get him there. Only David forgets that fame is cheap and Hollywood fickle. The stars quickly align to give David his comeuppance.

Kennedy is a brilliant writer, and the reader is quick to sympathize with Da
Rebecca Haslam
The first book I read during my week away, I picked up this book on the back of having read his previous work 'The Pursuit Of Happiness' and was surprised at the change in his writing and the story.
I identified with this book in the sense that it tells the story of a man who reaches the biggest heights of success, that many of us can only dream of, before being faced with a struggle to maintain his position - haven't we all had to fight for something we've worked hard for now and again?
The book
Nolagirl
Aug 13, 2012 Nolagirl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The lesson of this book is, "Be careful what you wish for. You might get it." David Armitage, a struggling screen writer, finally gets his big break and becomes an in-demand Hollywood writer with all of the benefits that go along with the job. He suddenly has more money than he's ever had in his life, entry into all the glamorous places, and attention from very important people. Of course, the success doesn't last and David soon finds himself alone and penniless again.

The plot is very predicta
Lucinda
Mar 23, 2012 Lucinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accessible and relateable to anyone who suffers from too much ambition: As a complete departure from his earlier book, THE MOMENT, an epic historical novel I also loved, based in Cold War Era Berlin, TEMPTATION demonstrates Douglas Kennedy's creativity and writing abilities in adapting to an entirely new subject matter: the insidious world of Hollywood, the corruption and "temptation" of fame, the illusion of success that is never quite as good as it seemed from afar. I think of the anti-hero Da ...more
Nina Draganova
Mar 05, 2016 Nina Draganova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Въпреки, че не успя да ме завладее както останалите му книги, ме накара да се замисля за житейските избори. Кое ни кара да правим , това което правим и сами ли сме си виновни за всяка грешка.
Прав ли е автора, че всички истории се базират върху кризисни ситуации? Наистина ли се "нуждаем от кризите, от болката,страданието,стремежите,усещането за постижимост,страха от провал,домогването до живота,който си въобразяваме , че желаем, и отчаянието от другия живот,който в действителност водим.Кризата ни
Shuzhan
Jan 28, 2012 Shuzhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I found it hard to relate it to any part of my life, and I was not quite satisfied with the ending ( a bit of cliché, I thought, and Martha and he didn't work out in that way.), still this book is worth a try.

From this book, I learned 5 things.
1, Never remarry.
2, Being responsible for your children.
3, Sometimes things just happen. Let it be.
4, (As the ending suggests, forget about pondering all such impossible questions), working is the best remedy.
5, Have a grateful heart.
Zoe
Jan 17, 2016 Zoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all of Douglas Kennedy's books, this was smooth, gripping and highly intelligent.

Douglas always manages to take you into the life of the main character and feel what they feel - a hugely talented writer and one of my all-time favourites.

A large percentage of this book revolved around mentions of finances, investments and hollywood realities and although from the off, that isn't my 'thing', this had such class and I completely loved it.
Linnet
Jul 06, 2012 Linnet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After 13 years of trying, David Artmitage finds success in Hollywood with a tv show. He is making big money, and leading the life he's always dreamed of. He leaves his wife and daughter, latches on to a woman influential at the Fox Network and basks in fame and fortune. But the tide always does turn, and David discovers what and who) really matters in life.
Maryse
Dec 20, 2011 Maryse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I was a bit disappointed. I had enjoyed 'A Special Relationship' very much and expected more from this author. However by the middle of the book I became hooked and very much enjoyed the second half.
Marian
Nov 11, 2013 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Kennedy's characters embark on long, complex, provocative journeys, and their ultimate strength is that - like the writer - they can throw off bright sparks in the dark." - Colum McCann. I don't know why it took me so long to discover Douglas Kennedy, but I'm glad I did!
Judith Giordan
Aug 10, 2011 Judith Giordan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Un peu long à demarrer comme les 2 autres que j'ai déjà lu...

Je n'accroche décidement pas...
Arah-Lynda
3.5 stars.
Paola
Feb 17, 2008 Paola rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Donna Huber
This was an entertaining read. Douglas is an excellent storyteller. Read my full review at Girl Who Reads .
Sarah Ryda-Corbett
Urgh
nine
Dec 02, 2009 nine rated it really liked it
Shelves: translated
pas le meilleur de l'auteur que j'aie lu jusque là, mais douglas, quoi !
Ann
May 25, 2008 Ann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
What a slow and boring book. I could not finish it it was getting more and more tedious. I did get half way and maybe it gets better but there is too much out there to read.
Lori
From lit agent
Fran
May 08, 2012 Fran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Temptation

Douglas Kennedy

Some people live their lives on a virtual collision course never stopping along the way to find a different path that might be less treacherous. Sometimes on the road to success or finding that right path we create situations for ourselves and others that make the collisions even more dangerous and the end result a disaster. Money and success are sometimes the perfect combination to ignite the sparks needed to send that car on a downward spiral. David Armitage has lived
  • River's End (The Inn at Shining Waters, #3)
  • The Road to Mercy
  • Across The Winds Of Time (Winds of Time, #1)
  • Landslide
  • The Angel & the Brown-Eyed Boy
  • Prelude to Reveille:  A Vietnam Awakening
  • Stella and Dane: A Honky Tonk Romance
  • Key to Love
  • Mother of Pearl
  • Gallagher's Hope (Montana Gallaghers, #2)
  • She Wulf (Annie Loves Cham, #4
  • Ultimate Fear (Ultimate CORE, #2)
  • And Something Blue (Main Street Merchants #1)
  • A Dash of Murder (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #1)
  • Haunting Obsession
  • An Intimate Murder (Catherine O'Brien Mystery #3)
  • Pitch Imperfect
  • Callie's Heart (Lasso Springs, #1)
Douglas Kennedy was born in Manhattan in 1955. He studied at Bowdoin College, Maine and Trinity College, Dublin, returning to Dublin in 1977 with just a trenchcoat, backpack and $300. He co-founded a theatre company and sold his first play, Shakespeare on Five Dollars a Day, to Radio 4 in 1980. In 1988 he moved to London and published a travel book, Beyond the Pyramids. His debut novel The Dead He ...more
More about Douglas Kennedy...