Start by marking “Teen Spirit” as Want to Read:
Teen Spirit

Teen Spirit

Francesca Lia Block, critically acclaimed author of Weetzie Bat, brings this eerie and redemptive ghost story to life with her signature, poetic prose. It's perfect for fans of supernatural stories with a touch of romance like the Beautiful Creatures series by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.

After Julie's grandmother passes away, she is forced to move across town to the not
Published February 4th 2014 by HarperTeen

Deborah Markus
Feb 22, 2014 Deborah Markus rated it liked it
Block's most famous books, "Weetzie Bat" and "Witch Baby," are pass or fail tests. You're either enchanted by them and therefore willing to forgive some overblown language and bursts of woo, or you're knocked over by waves of purple prose and nauseated by all the freakin' adorableness.

I tend toward cranky and despise woo, so I was as surprised as anyone to find myself in love with these two books.

For their sake, I keep giving Block a try now and then. I read "Pink Smog" and "Necklace of Kisses"
Ashley Daviau
Dec 24, 2016 Ashley Daviau rated it really liked it
I absolutely adored this book! I was expecting something cheesy and cute and while it was cute, it was also much more than that and most definitely not cheesy. This book deals with issues that all of us have dealt with, especially the loss of loved ones and that makes it very real and easy to relate to. I really enjoyed seeing Julie and Clark deal with their losses. And I especially enjoyed the element of spirits that was mixed in, it made the story that much more interesting! I wasn't really su ...more
Janice
Jan 11, 2014 Janice rated it really liked it
I am not sure there are enough nice things I can say about this book. I will start with, "Teen Spirit" is the most movie-worthy young adult book I have read in some time. Every character, starting with the earthy yet vulnerable protagonist Julie, is someone you want to know more about.
The magical aspects of "Teen Spirit" not only entertaining, but also well researched. Anyone with basic knowledge of auras, Paganism, rituals, or anything slightly "occult" will recognize the clues Block sprinkles
Jessika
Sep 04, 2013 Jessika rated it it was amazing
I love FLB so, so much.
There is really just NO ONE else like her. Not even close. She is almost like her own genre, y'know?

So anyways. I've had this gem since it came out last year, and just didn't get around to it (though I definitely gushed over the super gorgeous magical-creepy-kitschy cover many a time, tehee).
But yeah, the depth and scope of the story totally caught me off guard.
Don't get me wrong... she is hands-down a master of lyrical, absolutely decadent (and sometimes a lil disturbin
Marie
Mar 02, 2014 Marie rated it it was ok
The review box on Goodreads is topped with "What did you think?" Honestly, for this book, I'd just shrug my shoulders and mumble something noncommittal. Like "meh." This was my first Francesca Lia Block; are all of her books like this one? Is this a good litmus? Because if so I have a hard time understanding all the "let's bow down and worship at the throne of FLB, the greatest YA author of the last couple decades!" I don't know; I did read this while not feeling great with some kind of vague st ...more
Catfairy Reads
Feb 08, 2014 Catfairy Reads rated it it was amazing
Shelves: halloweeny, arc-copy
When I first picked up a Francesca Lia Block at 16 years old it was at a time that I felt lost and felt those typical teenage feelings like no one understood me. (This book brought me back to my teenage self so much that I was even inspired to catch a few Buffy the Vampire episodes for old times on Netflix...will explain as to why later on:) ) Francesca Lia Block had the remarkable ability to make me see the beauty in my life and to see the beauty in myself even through all my quirks and eccentr ...more
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Jan 21, 2014 Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries) rated it really liked it
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten!

Something about Francesca Lia Block’s books just leaves me speechless. True, I’ve only read two, but I couldn’t come up with even a sentence to describe Love in the Time of Global Warming, let alone an entire review. I finished Teen Spirit over a week ago but haven’t been able to come up with anything for it, but I’m making myself do it because I want to talk about this book (and yeah, I need it to fill a hole in my review schedule). As just one book among
Bunny
Jan 11, 2014 Bunny rated it liked it
Only six months since adding it to the to-read list. Sweet. The last time I tried to read a FLB book, it did not end well. Fingers crossed.
----

I am disappointed.

But not because this book was awful. Really and truly, it wasn't. Julie is a really great character, as was Clark. Even The Mother was a great representation of depression and grief.

The plot was really interesting, up until the very very end. It was a bit heavy handed, with the ouija board just magically being in the drawer, and fallin
CiderandRedRot
This novel rubbed me all up the wrong way, which is a shame because: Ouija boards, weird paranormal crap, vintage stores, possessed fridges, Hollywood bungalows, teens adjusting to a dramatic downgrading of economic status? All big hell yeah checkmarks in my book. But I found this book to be more of an icky paranormal romance masquerading as a ghost story. I'd heard good things about Block and she writes well; well enough that I ended up speed-reading through this zippy, short novel with a weird ...more
Ashley Ehlers
Jan 16, 2016 Ashley Ehlers rated it it was ok
Originally posted on Paranormal Sisters: http://paranormalsisters.blogspot.com...

I'm utterly disappointed, this book was meh and I was absolutely bored throughout it. There were little dashes where I was entertained but then those moments would flicker away, not going to there full potential. Nothing exciting or scary happened, I wasn't sitting on the edge of my seat. And the romance, what romance? It was absolutely boring and there was nothing romantic about it. There was no development for it.
Ami
Feb 08, 2014 Ami rated it liked it
~°~°~°~

This is the first FLB book I've read and I enjoyed it flaws and all. It was lighthearted and fun in spite of the main focus on death and ghosts. This was a quick read and although I really liked Julie's character I didn't feel much for the other people in her life. They seemed more like background props to move her story along than people in their own right. Julie's mother was a very one-dimensional character without much depth at all. I'm not sure we.are even given her name. I'm surprise
Nicki
May 27, 2014 Nicki rated it did not like it
Not her best work. I have been reading Francesca Lia Block since I was in high school and have kept up with every release she has made since then, this was quite a disappointment. Both of the characters are weak, underdeveloped, and uninteresting. The references to modern music seemed like a desperate attempt to connect with the audience.

The book seems so forced, like the author was trying to jump on that fantasy/romance thing that has all the Twilight fans screaming for more. It's cheap. And h
Erica
May 04, 2014 Erica rated it it was amazing
I loved this book more than I expected to. My only complaint is that it was too short I want more of these characters. Movie or tv show please! The buffy and potter references made me adore the characters gotta love nerdy characters. The story it's self was beautiful ignoring the paranormal romance aspects it was stunning novel about grief, death, & loss. Sidenote the teen spirit/ghost, Grant. was very determined to get laid such a typical teen male even dead they are thinking about sex. May ...more
Janina
Jul 04, 2014 Janina rated it liked it
Shelves: teens-paranormal
I thought for sure when I started this book that I would give it 4 stars because I liked the writing. I like how Block creates atmosphere. It makes you feel as though you are in the moment with the characters and I appreciate that.

However, there were times when I could have done without Julie, the narrator. I felt at times she was a terrible friend to Clark and he deserved better. There were also times when I wanted to smack Clark - however, he was not a bad friend Julie.

There was a lot going
Sian Lile-Pastore
Mar 14, 2014 Sian Lile-Pastore rated it really liked it
Now and again some of the sentences seemed a bit weirdly written, but generally I was swept away.

Block always manages to grab me with her descriptions of LA, vintage clothing and vegan food and this book also had lots about ghosts and magic too so I was sold.

I would say her style is not for everyone but I love reading her books and once I've read one, I just want more.
Emily Crowe
Sep 01, 2013 Emily Crowe rated it it was ok
Eh. I had pretty decent expectations of this book because of what I'd heard about author's other books, but this one never really convinced me of its premise. I did like the multiple Buffy the Vampire Slayer references, but that was really the only thing. Think "Practical Magic" Lite and you have a decent idea of this book.
Monica
Aug 02, 2016 Monica rated it it was amazing
I haven't loved a book of Block's this much since Pink Smog. Protagonist Julie and her best friend Clark work through grief and fear with syncretic spiritual traditions. Reading the novel itself is an enactment of ritual.
Ruth
Sep 30, 2015 Ruth rated it it was amazing
I give FLB books 5 stars always because she is my favorite author since I was a teen. I consume her books in a few hours, sweet snacks full of beautiful poetry and imagery. Not looking for deep meaning in young adult lit, I just like losing myself in her words for a bit.
Hell
Dec 10, 2014 Hell rated it it was ok
What happened to the FLB I love? This feels like her publisher told her to turn out something that fits the genres that are popular right now and she tried but it didn't fit her. The genie in the bottle was her. Possessed refrigerator? I don't even understand that.
Regina Peters
Feb 07, 2014 Regina Peters rated it really liked it
Congratulations, Goat Girls and Beautiful Boys. The magic is back!

For those who don't know, that was a reference to the two anthology titles containing, respectively, volumes 2-3 and 4-5 of Francesca Lia Block's Weetzie Bat series, all five of which are now sold under the title Dangerous Angels. They are her best work, wildly creative and utterly unique, and while none of her later works could possibly compare, Teen Spirit comes closer than any of them since Necklace of Kisses in 2005. And I'm n
Kristy (Book Nerd Reviews)
Feb 08, 2014 Kristy (Book Nerd Reviews) rated it really liked it
Julie is a loner - her whole life her only friends have been her mother and grandmother, and after the death of her grandmother, Julie’s life is thrown into turmoil. Not only dealing with the death of her grandmother, Julie finds her relationship with her mother is suffering - and the fact that her mother has a new creepy old-rocker boyfriend isn’t helping their relationship. Julie also has to deal with the fact that they have moved out of her childhood home and she has to go to a new school.

Alt
Jenna
May 19, 2014 Jenna rated it it was ok
Francesca Lia Block offers a quick, paranormal read with Teen Spirit. Full of pop culture references, the Young Adult tale is about a budding medium named Julie, and her increasingly complicated love life.

After the death of her beloved grandmother, Julie’s life crumbles. Her mother loses her job, their home is foreclosed on, and then her mom withdraws into depression. They move into a shabby apartment Julie resents, and she must start her senior year at a new school. However, it is there that J
Angel - Angel Reads
Jan 05, 2014 Angel - Angel Reads rated it really liked it
I received an copy of Teen Spirit from Harper Collins Australia for a copy. This is no way influenced my review at all.

I didn't know what exactly to expect when I started reading Teen Spirit. I really enjoyed it. It was an original, interesting read.
I love how the book is separated into different parts. It just adds to the originality of the book. The cover is also just so gorgeous.

I think the writing style would suite teens from about 13 years old, but there are some scenes that are for a teens
Rachael Quinn
Feb 18, 2015 Rachael Quinn rated it liked it
I feel like I need to start with a disclaimer here: My reading of this book was very distracted and disjointed. I had a hard time getting into it unless I read a couple of pages and I experienced the kind of week that just didn't allow reading for more than a few minutes here and a few minutes there. I liked it and I wish that I could have done it the justice of a nice long night on the couch in a quiet house.

Julie has a happy, if introverted, life. She lives with her grandmother and her mother
YA Reads Book Reviews
Originally posted on www.yareads.com, reviewed by Nichole.

I had really high hopes for Teen Spirit by Francesca Lia Block. I thought that the writing style was going to be very similar to that of Rachel Hawkins. I expected a lot of paranormal aspects to the book and just a downright good time. I didn’t get any of that. Teen Spirit was very bland, boring, and slightly ridiculous. I ended up DNFing this one.

My major complaint with Teen Spirit was the main character, Julie. Oh my gosh. Julie whined
Nikki S
Jun 25, 2013 Nikki S rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, paranormal
I have to admit, the reason I added this to my TBR pile was the cover. I saw it and was expecting a super creepy read. And what I got wasn't even close. Block delivers a really well written story, but it really lacks on the creep factor.
When I saw this cover and read this synopsis I was expecting a story that would keep me up all night. Not because I would stay up reading it, but because I was too scared to close my eyes in the dark. This was the exact opposite. It had a small amount of creep
Kay
Feb 17, 2017 Kay rated it really liked it
This is like Ruby, only with less developed characters. Block's characteristic style is still here and it is like a reassuring blanket for me. I found this book charming and quite a bit creepier than other works by Block. I think a lot of people expected classic Block and it's a bit of a departure from that (not much, but still). It reminded me of being a teenager, which was a mostly good thing. I wish it had been a little longer, just to make the ending feel not quite as squished.
Haley
Dec 07, 2013 Haley rated it really liked it
Teen Spirit is a short, fast, and fun read. It’s a standalone, and it’s a complete story. It contains interesting and unique characters and paranormal twists. It’s set in Beverly Hills and the Los Angeles area of California. Julie, the main character, had a grandmother who recently died. Her mother, a TV writer, loses her job about a year later, and Julie has to move from Hollywood to Beverly Hills, from a house to an apartment.

Julie is half Cherokee and Jewish. Her father was just a sperm dono
Brandy
Feb 19, 2017 Brandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love!!!!
Karen
Apr 26, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
"Our thoughts are wild creatures who've been wounded countless times. We have to tame them." Francesca Lia Block returns this year with a new novel, Teen Spirit. Some vintage FLB touches are in evidence: beautiful L.A. houses, girls who dress in vintage and have a connection to the spirit world, loving characters snatched away too soon. . .

Julie's life changes forever when her beloved grandmother suddenly dies. Julie and her mother lose their home, and more importantly, the touchstone of their
  • Ashes to Ashes (Ashes, #1)
  • Such Sweet Sorrow
  • All Those Broken Angels
  • Firebug (Firebug, #1)
  • The Vanishing Season
  • Servants of the Storm
Francesca Lia Block was born in Los Angeles to a poet and a painter, their creativity an obvious influence on her writing. Another influence was her childhood love of Greek mythology and fairy tales.
She has lived in the city all her life, and still resides there with her daughter, Jasmine Angelina (about whom she wrote her book Guarding the Moon), her son Samuel Alexander, and her two dogs: a spr
More about Francesca Lia Block...

“My breath clouded the air like a little ghost escaping from my body.” 1 likes