Start by marking “Fire Kin (The Half-Light City, #4)” as Want to Read:
Fire Kin (The Half-Light City, #4)

Fire Kin (The Half-Light City #4)

Imagine a city divided…a city readying itself for a war. The vampire Blood and the shape-shifting Beast Kind seek to seize control now that the treaty is broken. Only the humans stand in their way…but they stand without their Fae allies…and they desperately need help....

I chose to stay with the humans when the Fae withdrew from the City. I am a healer, and they need me.
Published May 6th 2014 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Fire Kin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Kin

Britney (BookDrunkSloth)
This book was a good ending to this Half-Light City quartet. It continued to have me hooked throughout the entire read.

What I liked:
- A Fae involved with a Fae. No huge age differences that would border on creepy.
- An old romance getting a second chance.
- More of a taste of this world's magic.
- An opening for possibly more books in this world.
- A good ending, not leaving the reader feeling unsatisfied.

What I disliked:
- As usual with these books, the conversations were split up by too much "thoug
Sabrina
2014-05-10 (before reading)

Crappy CSS.
I'll have to fix it before reading it >_>

OpenBookSociety.com
May 03, 2014 OpenBookSociety.com rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heidi

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

*Beware of Spoilers*

fire-kin-the-half-light-city-m-j-scottFire Kin picks up where Iron Kin left off … the Fae queen has been killed and the veil has fallen, treaty negotiations to keep peace between the different races has stopped, meaning complete chaos and uncertainty for the races, especially the humans, who are in the most danger being weaker than the other species.

Asharic was exiled from the Fae kingdom, Summerdale,
Kristen
May 19, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
THEME: Fae, Magic, Werewolves
RECEIVED: Publisher
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
It’s been way too long since I got sucked back into the world of The Half-light City. I adored the first and second and missed the third, but since I did read the first two I wasn’t lost at all stepping into the fourth book in the series. The whole gang is back, my two favorite boys Guy and Simon, along with their kick butt ladies are back in action. But this time the plot focuses o
Sillylittlefishey
Apr 18, 2014 Sillylittlefishey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: advance-copies
So much better than Iron Kin (I did NOT read the first two books of the series). A powerful love story that I couldn't get enough of. I was routing for Ash all the way! I just love him! There were a few predictable happenings in this book, but they were written in a powerful way that kept my interest throughout. I'm just sad to not see more of these amazing characters!
Kt
Jul 29, 2014 Kt rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

Since I'm very romance driven with my reading choices, it's only fitting that I kick this review off with my feelings for the main couple, Bryony and Ash. I just love the past history and tension that comes with reunited lovers. It's that battle to make this time work that really amps up the tension for me, and if you've followed my reviews at all, you'll know that that delicious tension and build up between a couple is my weakness. When don
Tjfox
Oct 02, 2015 Tjfox rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic-fae, fantasy
Fire Kin is book 4 and the final one in the Half Light City series. This one covers Bryony’s story. I was a bit surprised that this was the focus character for this book at first, because I just wasn’t expecting it. I did really enjoy the direction it went, though.

As a final book, this closed out the series nicely. All of the issues that were brought into play in all the previous books saw a clean and believable resolution without any major strings left hanging. There are no plans to return to t
Caitlin
Sep 22, 2014 Caitlin rated it really liked it
Bryony is Fae, living among the humans who need her healing skills, even after the other Fae retreat to the safety of their home as war threatens. She's working with the humans, and hoping for peace with the Beasts against the Blood lord determined to take control of Half-Light City. The situation is dire, so she can't refuse help--even from Asharic, a man she once loved, exiled by the Queen, now allowed back by the Queen's death.

She thought she'd gotten over him, but now that she actually sees
Maria Mitchell
Oct 19, 2014 Maria Mitchell rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads to review.

I did not read the previous books in the series but I liked how it was pretty easy to understand what was going on for the most part and while some spoilers from the previous books were given away, it didn't take away from the story.

However I had a very hard time getting into this novel. While I found main character Ash intriguing by himself, I didn't care from his chemistry with Bryony and that love story. It seemed like there
jammastere
May 27, 2014 jammastere rated it really liked it
I am so happy that this series is more than a trilogy!

This is a very intricate world with the Blood, Fae, Beasts and humans working together in one city to try and live in peace. This story picks up after an attempt to end the peace so that the Blood can rule the city. There is of course a love story but for this book that takes a back seat to the politics. I really enjoyed seeing some issues that have been building over the last several books come to a head and see a resolution. I really appre
Tangerine
Feb 03, 2015 Tangerine rated it did not like it
Samantha
Nov 12, 2014 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I finally finished reading this book. I held off because I didn't want the series to end. Everything wraps up nicely, but I still confess to wanting more. Even if they were just short stories, I think I would like to see little bits of each couple's future, and I'd also like to see a novella or novel revolving around Liam because he was a great side character. I liked that we got to learn a lot more about Bryony in this book and Ash was an interesting new character. Overall I think Lily ...more
Cristina
Aug 09, 2014 Cristina rated it liked it
I'm glad that this series seems to have come to a conclusion, as the past few books have been rather lacking. The romance between the two mains is fairly boring, and the conflict within the city itself concerning the different factions doesn't start to get exciting until the middle/end of the book. That being said, the book actually didn't grab my attention until after Ash and Bryony went to court that first time (a good third of the way through). Fire Kin is more a story about Ash and he is a ...more
Sandra
Aug 14, 2014 Sandra rated it it was ok
My least favourite of the series. I love Simon & Lily from the first book. I really like Holly & Guy from the second book. I like Fen but wasn't crazy about Saskia in the third. In this one I didn't mind Ash but didn't really feel like we really got to see much of his personality at all and I actually didn't like Bryony much at all. I also had the same problem with the alternating view points that I found in the last book - there was no differentiation in the "voices" so I could never ...more
Dhfan4life
Jun 12, 2014 Dhfan4life rated it liked it
More like, a two and a half. This one was a bit better than Iron Kin. But there were some instances where important events should have(in my opinion) been brought up earlier in the story to bring about more intrigue to the story. Also the "war" so was not a war at all. Even the bad guy seemed to have wussed out by the end of this series and wasn't really a threat any more. So once he was killed it was as boring as eating a piece of white bread. So good enough series if you are looking for a ...more
Kristi
May 03, 2015 Kristi rated it it was amazing
So good. That's all I can say. I knew Bryony was going to be the focus of this one but I had to wonder about the love interest. Ash is everything you would expect and more. And they have HISTORY! There's definite heat between so prepare yourself.
The Half-Light City is well written and believable. The rules and borders between the Human and Fae, the Beast Kind and Blood are realistic. And the relationships between the characters are fully layered. Read this series - you'll be glad you did!
Jamie
Jul 07, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it
I didn't feel the ... sizzle (for lack of a better word) that I felt in the other M.J. Kin books, which was disappointing. It also seemed like the author tried to pack the story full of action. Unfortunately none of it was well developed, and served only to make the story convoluted. I do love the world, however, and it was nice to start building away from the DuCaine family into other periferral characters.
Jeremy Bright
May 17, 2014 Jeremy Bright rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. As a dsclaimer I did recieve this as a giveaway.
This was an author I had not read before and a genre I don't read a lot of but the story was well thought out and easy to follow.
I had not read the previous books in this series but there was enough world building built into the story that I had no problem following the set up.
Julie Minnick
Aug 18, 2014 Julie Minnick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am delightfully surprised. Usually the further into a series I read, the more I lose interest. Quite the opposite was true with this series by M.J. Scott. I found that with each book I became more intrigued to read the next.

I would absolutely read another book from the author and I was sad to see this series end.

Bravo!
Shelly Dewitt
Apr 29, 2014 Shelly Dewitt rated it really liked it
Very good read. Interesting character development. The only thing that threw me for a loop at times were the transitions. Starting a chapter with a character transition had me going back to see who was actually speaking.
Evelyn
Apr 30, 2014 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
i really liked this book! It seems like it was set back then and I like ow the humans and the supernatural coexist peacefully. I'm a fan i really liked it. It's not what i normally read so thats a good thing.
Colette
Jun 20, 2014 Colette rated it it was amazing
I was looking forward to this book while reading the entire series.. and let me just say.. it didn't disappoint! I laughed, I cried, I cringed, and I felt absolutely giddy. I loved everything about Asharic and Bryony. This book was a perfect ending to a perfect series. Definitely a must read.
Eric Fomley
May 04, 2014 Eric Fomley rated it it was amazing
This was a really enjoyable book. I hadn't read the previous installments in the series but just reading this one for the writing, characters, and setting was good enough for me to rush over to Amazon and pick up the first few in the series!
Anna Macnamara
Jun 29, 2014 Anna Macnamara rated it really liked it
Did not warm to Briony in the other books she was just such a cold person, so surprised when she was the next protagonist . And ash was perfect for her.
Wondering if their will be more ???
Josephine
May 20, 2014 Josephine rated it it was amazing
Excellent when an author can write a series where the books are strong enough to stand on their own! I enjoy the series and this is a strong installment.
Shannon
Oct 14, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
3.55 Stars

Good ending for the series, but it lacked enough time spent with the main characters actually being together. Still a solid book and fun read.
Marissa Giles
Feb 20, 2015 Marissa Giles rated it it was amazing
Loved this whole series and I'm so happy this book was about Bryony since they really didn't delve into her.character before now.
Nicky
So glad to be able to read this straight off finishing its predecessor Iron Kin (#3). Made for an awesome ride of reading.
Jill Bradley
Aug 12, 2014 Jill Bradley rated it really liked it
I didn't really connect to Ash very much. I would have liked a different match for Bryony. I thought she was going to be with that Templar, but oh well.
Serena Goldstein
Serena Goldstein rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2014
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 14, 2015 10:44AM
  • The Blood Curse (Cursed Kingdoms, #3)
  • Broken Blade (Rune Blade, #3)
  • A Feast of Souls (Araneae Nation, #2)
  • Heart of the Dragon's Realm
  • Herb-Wife (Lord Alchemist Duology, #2)
  • The Given (Celestial Blues, #3)
  • Taming the Forest King
  • Return (I Am Just Junco, #5)
  • The Kraken King and the Abominable Worm (Iron Seas, #4.2; Kraken King, #2)
  • Wanted: Wild Thing (Midnight Liaisons, #4)
  • Christmas at the Lakelands' (Brac Pack #33)
  • The Hunter
  • Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum, #2)
  • Howling For You (Chicagoland Vampires, #8.5)
  • The Hidden Rune Of Iron (Spellcrackers.com #5)
  • Inferno (Lords of the Were Universe, #4; Tales of the Were, #2)
  • The Sharpest Blade (Shadow Reader, #3)
  • Changeling (MetaWars, #2)
M.J Scott is a RITA® Award nominated author. She is an unrepentant bookworm. Luckily she grew up in a family that fed her a properly varied diet of books and these days is surrounded by people who are understanding of her story addiction. When not wrestling one of her own stories to the ground, she can generally be found reading someone else’s. Her other distractions include yarn, cat butlering, ...more
More about M.J. Scott...

The Half-Light City (4 books)
  • Shadow Kin (The Half-Light City, #1)
  • Blood Kin (The Half-Light City, #2)
  • Iron Kin (The Half-Light City, #3)

“A mystery." He smiled, his teeth a white gleam in the shadowed face. "I like mysteries."

"Don't you have enough to do without going looking for trouble?"

"I especially like mysteries that involve trouble.”
1 likes