Start by marking “Black Horizon (Jack Swyteck, #11)” as Want to Read:
Black Horizon (Jack Swyteck, #11)

Black Horizon (Jack Swyteck #11)

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  1,028 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
In Black Horizon, a riveting and timely thriller drawn from tomorrow's headlines, New York Times bestselling author James Grippando brings back popular Miami criminal defense attorney Jack Swyteck in an international case involving a devastating oil spill that pits him against his most villainous adversaries yet.

Three summers after the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe, oil is
Published March 4th 2014 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Black Horizon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Horizon

Hapzydeco
Apr 12, 2014 Hapzydeco rated it it was ok
The theme could have been developed into a story of interest. Unfortunately Grippando let bland dialogue and poor character development sidetrack him from accomplishing his goal.
Nan Williams
Typical Jack Swyteck.

I really like Jack and mostly like his sidekick, Theo, although Theo is a bit hard to swallow sometimes. I do NOT like Andie Henning. This novel begins with Jack and Andie getting married and then she's whisked off by the FBI before their honeymoon can start. And, she's pregnant. Even though she's all excited about furnishing a nursery, she's not about to allow this precious new life to derail her career.

The story involves an oil spill in Cuban waters which threatens the US.
Kevin Bachovchin
Jul 26, 2014 Kevin Bachovchin rated it really liked it
This wasn't my favorite James Grippando book, but it was still an above average mystery book. This story involves an oil spill in Cuban waters, which environmentally threatens the US. The plot is interesting, given the recent Deepwater Horizon disaster and the current political situation. The characters from the Jack Swyteck series (Swyteck, Theo Knight, and Andie Henning) are likeable and interesting characters. As usual, I enjoyed the courtroom scenes from this book also.
Tim
Jun 25, 2014 Tim rated it did not like it
Easily the most discouraging Swyteck thus far. In fact, I may be done with this limp character as I prefer more "good guy" machismo, fewer murders and less courtroom hijinks. 1 of 10 stars
Scott Carmichael
Oct 04, 2016 Scott Carmichael rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
This was not a very engaging read. Story was a bit weak and I never bought into the characters. I guess I like my stories with me substance.
Liz Alexander
Aug 03, 2015 Liz Alexander rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the first of Grippando's 21 books I've read, so I'm new to both the author and the character of Jack Swyteck.

I found this an easy, enjoyable read. One of the reasons why I love books written by lawyers (Grisham; Allison Leotta; now Grippando) is to learn more about the legal process. Certainly, if all the information shared in Black Horizon about the Cuban embargo (a topical subject if ever there was one!), Foreign Bank Account Reports, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act etc. is accurate, the
Lloyd Russell
Feb 22, 2014 Lloyd Russell rated it really liked it
James Grippando is one of my solid authors. I always look forward to reading his books, and I'm never disappointed. He's written 21, and I've read them all. Black Horizon, which comes out March 4, is the 11th in the Jack Swytek series. These are my favorite. Jack is a Miami attorney with an Hispanic grandmother, an ex-governor of Florida father, and a trusted sidekick (okay, I added the trusted part). His escapades always include murders, intrigue, legal action, and humor. Here's what Goodreads ...more
Suspense Magazine
Jul 21, 2014 Suspense Magazine rated it liked it
Jack Swyteck returns in “Black Horizon,” the eleventh novel featuring the Miami-based criminal defense lawyer. After marrying FBI agent Andie Henning, the newlyweds dash off to the Florida Keys, but their honeymoon is interrupted. First, a deep-water oil rig explodes near Cuba in a storm that’s quickly pushing the gushing oil toward the Keys, and then Andie gets called away on an assignment. Through a business connection of his best man and best friend, Theo, Jack takes on a wrongful death suit ...more
Scott Parsons
Jan 18, 2015 Scott Parsons rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, crime, mystery
This is the 11th in Grippando's Jack Swytek series. Jack is a lawyer but there are few legal scenes in this novel. Jack and FBI Agent Andie Henning get married in the Florida Keys at the onset of the novel. Their honeymoon is disrupted when a major tropical storm wreaks destruction in the Keys. This is compounded when the storm is accompanied by an explosion on an an offshore rig drilling in very deep water under Cuban jurisdiction but the oil comes ashore in the Keys. Andie is called back to ...more
Gloria Feit
Jack Swyteck, the book’s protagonist, is an accomplished defense lawyer, demonstrated in numerous previous novels in the series. However, in this entry his role as an attorney, bringing suit for wrongful death for the young widow of a man apparently killed when an offshore rig exploded, is merely peripheral to a wide-ranging thriller and sort of a love story on two levels. One aspect is at the beginning of the story, with Jack and Andie Henning getting married and beginning their honeymoon in ...more
Janel
Jan 11, 2014 Janel rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-complete
Back in October 2011, I received an ARC from Harper Collins by an author named James Grippando called Need You Now. The book was very much a ripped from the headlines book and I enjoyed the plot twists and the characters very much. I had just read Too Big To Fail so this book paired well as a fictional counterpart. I was excited too see on the March list of ARCs from Harper Collins another ripped from the headlines style book by James Grippando.

Working for a news organization, I learned a lot a
Michael
Jack Swyteck is honeymooning in Key West when there is an explosion on an oil derrick. Soon, globs of sticky oil begin drifting toward the Florida coast.

Jack is an attorney and is asked to represent a woman who lost her husband on the oil derrick. Her husband was listed among the dead. Jack wants to sue for wrongful death but isn't sure how to go about it since the oil platform was in Cuban waters and owned by a concession made up of Cuba, Russia, China and Venezuela.

Jack researches the case and
Stacy Bearse
Mar 19, 2014 Stacy Bearse rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Grippando is a former trial lawyer with strong credentials for writing intelligent legal thrillers sited in southern Florida. BLACK HORIZON bolsters his reputation. The story is centered on the blowout of a drilling rig in Cuban waters, which creates an ominous oil slick that slithers toward the Florida Keys. Victims seek legal redress before the petroleum even hits the beach, leading to an international investigation of why the well failed: Negligence, sabotage or terrorism? Attorney Jack ...more
Carolyn E
Mar 29, 2014 Carolyn E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting--and frightening--story by James Grippando. Black Horizon was apparently inspired by the BP oil spill in 2010 off the southern coast of the United States. The scary part is that this oil spill is in Cuban waters just 50 miles from the Florida coast. Only this time, the spill is no accident, and Cuban officials are not exactly cooperative in their efforts to contain the spill.

As with all the previous Jack Swyteck novels, Black Horizon is full of action and tense, nail-biting situ
Laura Oldenburg
Apr 14, 2014 Laura Oldenburg rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fict
jack swytek is a lawyer who becomes embroiled in an international brouha-ha over an exploded oil derrick in CUban waters owned by other countries with the oil headed for florida keys. his client is the wife of one of the workers on the derrick, who is presumed dead. trouble is the oil company has its own lawyers who say that his client is not the american wife of the cuban oil worker. WIth the help of an ex-client Jack heads to Cuba to get the proof of the marriage, during his own honeymoon ...more
Linda
Jun 15, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
Having read this in 2014, I read it again. Dropped a star from my rating. An oil rig drilling in Cuban waters by a consortium of 3 countries is destroyed by an explosion that kills many. One of the men killed may have had something to do with it. Or maybe he was not killed as thought. Meanwhile, the oil slick is heading to the FL keys and Cuba is not willing to let the USA help keep it contained without lifting the whole embargo with Cuba. With attorney Jack Swyteck working to file a wrongful ...more
Jennifer Kay
Mar 05, 2014 Jennifer Kay rated it liked it
"Somewhere, a cheerful yet firm commercial is probably still airing to remind tourists that Florida's beaches are oil-free. Meanwhile, Grippando's fun legal thriller offers a breezy tour of the policies that shape life in South Florida and its Caribbean neighbors."

My review for The Associated Press: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/black-...

If the premise for this novel sounds familiar, here's my 2012 AP story on US plans for dealing with offshore oil spills in the Caribbean, including Cuban water
Carol
Apr 10, 2014 Carol rated it liked it
James Grippando is one of the authors whose work I always enjoy. This one was well plotted, as always, but it did drag in places. It was still good and full of lots of twists and turns, but I was a bit disappointed in the ending, a very important thing for me. It felt rushed or even forced. Everything was quickly wrapped up in the last few pages. Don't get me wrong; I will still seek out Grippando's books and still will enjoy them, I am sure. I was ready to be blown away (pun intended) by the ...more
Barry Martin Vass
Nov 03, 2014 Barry Martin Vass rated it it was amazing
Author James Grippando has the happy knack of being able to fictionalize real events, dramatize them, and then incorporate them in a novel. Here he is using the Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010 (that came to be known as The BP Oil Spill), changing the consortium to Chinese/Russian/Venezuelan, and then changing the location of the massive drilling platform so that it is inside Cuban territorial waters. And he pulls everything off so flawlessly that you never really know ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
The 11th Jack Swyteck book and they are still very enjoyable. Jack has just gotten married to Andie, his girlfriend who works for the FBI and are on their honeymoon. Of course there is a catastrophe (an oil spill in Cuban water) that involves both Jack and Andie. Lots happening, even Theo gets into the act and both Jack and Theo almost end up in jail. Andie steps in and things get sorted out, but not the way I expected. A good read right up until the end.
Debra Belmudes
Jul 08, 2014 Debra Belmudes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!! The story is exciting and fast paced. I especially like that this (and his last) book are based on notable events that were in the news.

I have to say the ending caught me by surprise because.... No I won't give it away. All I can say is 'read the book!'

One last thing ... I love that authors such as Grippando, Patterson and Evanovich pay homage to the family. Here's to Abuela, Nana Mama and Grandma Mazur! The books and the stories are richer for their inclusion.
Ashley (bookworm84)
Grippando is an author that I have always enjoyed reading and I always look forward to his new books.

That being said, there was something lacking about this book. While it was still good and full of everything I enjoy about a Swyteck book, this one felt a little forced. There were parts that dragged little bit and the ending was too rushed. Everything was wrapped up with a bow in the last 15 pages or so. Still doesn't discourage me from continuing on with the series.
Ed Schmidt
Jul 03, 2014 Ed Schmidt rated it it was amazing
Miami attorney Jack Swyteck finds himself in a lawsuit involving the widow of a Cuban man killed in an explosion of an oil rig off the coast of Cuba vs oil companies from several countries. As Jack gets into it, it looks like sabotage to him. The FBI and the US Justice Department warns Jack to drop the case, as does a shady character unknown to Jack. Eventually, Jack's new wife gets involved as the case collides with an undercover assignment she is on.
Tana
Jun 21, 2015 Tana rated it liked it
I think I would have liked this better if I had read the series in order. Jack and Andie get married and are immediately separated by her undercover work with the FBI as the story goes on your find out that he is representing someone that is suing the oil company and Andie is trying to find out if the same oil company has an insider doing damage to the oil rig. I think Theo was my favorite character.
Denise Dougherty
Jul 28, 2014 Denise Dougherty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what happened here, but Jack seems to have lapses and his friend, Theo, acts like a total jerk. There are so many elements in this story that fall flat, it left me thinking that this was a very old story written in Mr Grippando's early days was and was dusted off ...

Oh well, Babe Ruth didn't hit a home run every at bat, I guess I can give Mr Grippando a pass on this stinker.

DD@Phila
Bonnie
May 16, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series about Jack Swyteck, his wife Andy (an FBI agent) and his best friend Theo Knight. In this one he represents a young woman trying to get a settlement for the death of her husband, killed in an explosion on an oil-drilling rig. Things are complicated since the rig belongs to a consortium of Chinese, Venezuelan and Russian companies working for Cuba and her husband was Cuban. Not everything is as it seems.
Brett Sorge
Jun 10, 2014 Brett Sorge rated it it was ok
I was really enjoying this book and trying to follow all if the twist and turns of the story. Just about 20 pages from the end the author sprung the truth in us and I was underwhelmed. I don't want to kill the ending for prospective readers so I will just say the ending to the plot was really unspectacular. On thing is I liked the funny lines from Theo.

Actually give this book 2.5 stars. Could have been much better with planning.
Holly Morey
Jun 30, 2014 Holly Morey rated it really liked it
Jack Swyteck is on his honeymoon when a Cuban oil well explodes, threatening the Keys and the coast of Florida. Jack becomes involved in a lawsuit by a Cuban refugee against the oil companies involved. This case takes Jack and Theo over to Cuba. In the mean time Andie is trying to solve the reason for the explosion while working undercover. I enjoy reading the Swyteck series, I like the characters and the action.
JP Ratto
Dec 01, 2015 JP Ratto rated it really liked it
I enjoy Grippando's writing style and the way he intertwines descriptions and facts about the story's locations into the narrative. His dialogue is natural and often humorous. The plot of Black Horizon was well laid out and kept me turning the page. Although the ending was sort of Grishamesque, it was overall a good read.
Michael Bell
May 04, 2015 Michael Bell rated it liked it
This book was a little slow getting started to me. I wonder how Jack Swyteck took a case without any mention of a fee or getting paid. His law practice must have been slow with paying customers. I was sorry his wife lost the baby. It was ironic that they were actually working two ends of the same case. I need a little more action in the next Grippando novel that I read.
  • A Dog Gone Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper #10)
  • Whirlwind (Kate Page, #1)
  • No Mallets Intended (Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #4)
  • Dreams of the Dead (Nina Reilly, #13)
  • The Templar Legion (Templar, #5)
  • Deadly Assets (Badge of Honor, #12)
  • The Fall (Dismas Hardy, #16)
  • Fatal Conceit (Butch Karp, #26)
  • Jack on the Tracks: Four Seasons of Fifth Grade (Jack Henry, #4)
  • The Art of War (Jake Grafton & Tommy Carmellini Universe, #16)
  • The Execution (Jeremy Fisk, #2)
  • Murder Gone A-Rye (A Baker's Treat, #2)
  • Cold Hearted
  • The Gold-Threaded Dress
  • The Forgotten Soldier (Pike Logan, #9)
  • Irreparable Harm
  • A Chorus Line-Up (Glee Club, #3)
  • Ill-Gotten Panes (Stained-Glass, #1)
The first thing you should know about bestselling author James Grippando is that he is no longer clueless—so says his wife, Tiffany, after “A James Grippando Novel” was a clue for #38 Across in the New York Times crossword puzzle. James is the New York Times bestselling author of 24 novels of suspense, including twelve in the popular series featuring Miami criminal defense attorney Jack Swyteck. ...more
More about James Grippando...

Jack Swyteck (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Cash Landing (Jack Swyteck, #0.5)
  • The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1)
  • Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck, #2)
  • Last To Die (Jack Swyteck, #3)
  • Hear No Evil (Jack Swyteck, #4)
  • Got The Look (Jack Swyteck, #5)
  • When Darkness Falls (Jack Swyteck, #6)
  • Last Call (Jack Swyteck, #7)
  • Born To Run (Jack Swyteck, #8)
  • Afraid Of The Dark (Jack Swyteck, #9)