Start by marking “Risk” as Want to Read:
Risk

Risk

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  5 reviews
‘LET’S KEEP SHIT SIMPLE. WHAT ARE WE DOING? WE’RE GOING TO GO ON MISSIONS THAT WE DRAW FROM A HAT. RISKY MISSIONS. RISK, THAT’S ALL IT IS.’

Nelson Jekwa: young, black, privileged. Named after Mandela, his future blinks promisingly. Bored and high, he and his friends play a game of risk. But what starts off as some edgy fun, evolves, spawning an entire social movement. The g
Published 2013 by Umuzi (RandomHouseStruik)

To ask other readers questions about Risk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Risk

Sebastian
Few people outside of South Africa, or indeed the Western Cape, or indeed under 30, will know much about Rashied and Rashaad Staggie, the author's uncles. At a time when the country was undergoing massive social upheaval and the transition to democracy was constantly on the verge of imploding, all eyes were focussed on the black townships where the situation was at its most volatile.

Scant heed was paid to the coloured* townships because it was traditionally accepted would not get involved becaus
Animeprincess
This novel made me feel uneasy from the first two opening sentences. It continued to do so for the whole 192 pages. I’m a fan of Palahniuk and Staggie shows a lot of promise. I don’t think that I have come across an African writer trying the same tricks!

I didn’t like this novel, as much as I loved it as much as I don’t know! The writing is rhythmic and takes you to those places. It’s like he’s constantly taunting you to turn the page to see how more extreme he will go. And boy does he go extrem
Vega
Been carrying this book around with me for the past days and just finished reading it again. Wanted to shout it out to someone and Facebook aint cutting it, so I’m here. This is cool site by the way.

The first third of the book is slow as you watch Nelson wander pretty aimlessly around the City. Hes studying but he’s not really studying, he’s really just getting high, screwing girls even though he has a chick, but playing up the façade that he’s doing something. He wants to do something great on
Emilia
“The inner fire is the most important thing mankind possesses.”
― Edith Södergran

I was meaning to write this review for some time now as I read this book about 2 weeks ago. I've read it twice since then. I thought it was absolutely brilliant upon the first reading - raw, pulsing and arrogant, and I've not changed my opinion since then.

The author clearly has a lot of fire in him. He's also seemingly a risk-taker and willing to try new things. This you can only really admire. As someone who is no
Soulja Abdul
Wow! Reading risk is like being hit over the head with a bag full of drug paraphenalia! It's risque and ballsy and has a devil-may-care attitude.

It also tried to bring up a few issues. I think this kid is going to be like the enfant terrible of African fiction. We've needed one for years! I hope he keeps writing like this. Well worth the 4 stars.

-SouljaAbdul
Lester Walbrugh
Lester Walbrugh marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Trevor
Trevor marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Marley Dietrich
Marley Dietrich marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Weez Conway
Weez Conway marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Natalie Gabrielle
Natalie Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Dessi
Dessi marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Melony
Melony marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Kim Carlson
Kim Carlson marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Megan Youngblood
Megan Youngblood marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Garth Hess
Garth Hess marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Tal Honor
Tal Honor marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Lisa Clare
Lisa Clare marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Ashwin Kumar
Ashwin Kumar marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
Jason Staggie studied Psychology at the University of Cape Town, and Directing and Screenwriting at Prague Film School in the Czech Republic.

In his relatively short life he has fundraised for charities in Ireland, taught English in South Korea, and made films in the Czech Republic and South Africa.

He has 4 main obsessions in his life - socially conscious transgressive fiction; the art movement flu
More about Jason Staggie...