Start by marking “Straight Men Can't Cook” as Want to Read:
Straight Men Can't Cook

Straight Men Can't Cook (Don't Read in the Closet Events)

Dear Author,
I’m running out of time to prepare something delicious, errr… edible for my date. I mean, friend. I mean… Okay, okay, I had a bet with a friend, whom I’ve been infatuated with since… forever! We’ve been roommates in college. He’s an out and proud and smart gay guy. But not so smart since he never figured out my secret or that I’ve been lusting after him all tho
Published June 10th 2013 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Straight Men Can't Cook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straight Men Can't Cook

The Foxhole Court by Nora SakavicNor Iron Bars a Cage by Kaje HarperMaking a Little Wrong into Something Right by L.L. BucknorLife Drawing by Jane DavittMission by Kim Alan
Free M/M
6th out of 25 books — 15 voters
Fish & Chips by Abigail RouxThe Heart of Texas by R.J. ScottMy Summer of Wes by Missy WelshDance With Me by Heidi CullinanBlind Faith by N.R. Walker
Gay Beach - Summery Reads
71st out of 193 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

Exina
Russ has had a secret crush on Tristan since forever. So secret that he hardly admits it even to himself.

Russ runs into Tristan in the supermarket, and Tristan provokes him to prove that straight men can cook. Well, you’ll never figure it out from this story since Russ is not exactly straight. And he is not exactly good in the kitchen either. But fortunately nothing disastrous happens and by the time the dinner is done, so is he with denial.

It is a cute and sexy story. Recommended.
Ami

Felt compelled to write an opinion since the prompt was written by an Indonesian friend *grin* (Hi Didi ).

I thought the story fit the prompt perfectly. It was a pure fluffety fluff friends-to-lovers theme... although well, I take it as HFN since the story happened within 1.5 days. But it was angst-free and might make you smile (because Russell, clearly, didn't cook well. LOVED the reactions from his own mother and his pregnant neighbor).

I do wonder what Russell's mother's reaction woul
Nina
I don't think this could possibly happen in real life, but it was cute and mildly funny. *shrug*
Yes, Russ was a bit too accepting of his newly discovered sexuality, and yes, Tristan was a bit of an idiot for pining and not acting on it for years, and yes, the pseudo-dirty talk was disappointing as always, but... well, okay, maybe after all this deserves two stars and not three.
But as far as "it was okay" ratings go, this one was very okay.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5

Sweet fluffy short that fit the cute picture prompt really well.

Russ and Tristan were roomies in college for about 6 months, and yes you guessed it, they each were eyeing the other,thinking sexy wishful thoughts.
But alas, neither one did anything about it and they lost touch, now while fondling melons who does Russ run into?
Yep, again you got it in one. Tristan.
So after Russ braving the kitchen and actual food and Tristan braving eating it, they get to the fun parts.
Watching an action movie.
Susan
Nov 08, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm

Russ is not gay, right? Except he did lust after his roommate, Tristan, all through college.

And when he meets up with said roommate a couple of years later, he get roped into cooking for him. Now all Russ needs is the courage to make a move.

Nice friends-to-lovers story. Not much else going on since it’s only 27 pages. A sweet, enjoyable story.
Anna
4.5 stars rounded up: Ohhh I loved it! I kept stopping every like 2 minutes just because I didn't want it to end - and that's a good sign! It shows just how much I loved it. My favourite LHNB story so far!
Kinga
Sep 17, 2015 Kinga rated it really liked it
Shelves: boyxboy, romance
Good, this was good. There has to be some truth in the Straight man can't cook because I know one too many man who can't cook shit.
Nevertheless, I'm a loser for sappy/happy/hea/cute stories. It's too easy to win me over, isn't it?
Virginia
Jun 14, 2013 Virginia rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. A very cute and sexy short for the LHNB event. I could feel the sexual tension throughout. Am hoping Rus' mom is supportive and I bet his friend had suspicions when she pushed him toward Tristian :)
Serena Yates
Jun 27, 2013 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
There's nothing like a good, old-fashioned challenge to bring out the best in people – and, in this case, to set the stage for an exploration of mutual feelings that should have happened three years ago. Told in a humorous way, with lots of funny comments about lack of cooking skills, this short story turns out to be about far more than Russ's disputed abilities in the kitchen.

Russ cannot believe he ran into his old college roommate/crush in the grocery store. Except, he denies the crush part so
Didi
Feb 09, 2015 Didi rated it really liked it
Two ex college roommates, Russ and Tristan, met at grocery store years after graduation. One ended up challenging the other to prove that he can cook. Russ's anxious that the old roomie he'd lusted after years ago would not only come but also eat his cooking. But the cooking fiasco may turn a beginning he never imagined he'd have with his old friend.

A round up of 3.75 stars! . A short adorable story with adorable characters. I like the light and happy feel this (story) brought me. Could be a bi
Gigi
Jun 12, 2013 Gigi rated it liked it
Collage roommates meet up after a few years apart and cook for one another, rekindling their friendship, which turns to romance. What's not to like? Recommended.
Shelby
Well that was beyond adorable. :D Such a cute premise and as always the history between these two makes everything in this short work better. Sappy sweet, with it’s own fair share of HOT and STEAMY thrown in.

Russ is unassuming and the boy next door everyone adores. While he’s always dated girls (they’re just easier all around) he’s always had a secret attraction to guys; to one guy especially, his old college roommate. Now while out grocery shopping with a neighbor, who does he bump into but hi
Macky
3.75*
I really enjoyed this. It was cute, fun and very likeable. Fitted the prompt well and generated some great chemistry between two engaging characters. Short and sweet! Another satisfying addition to the LHNB free shorts.
Aleksandra
Oct 19, 2016 Aleksandra rated it liked it
I relate to Russ struggles with cooking so much. On other news, the word bisexual exists.
Bárbara
Oct 12, 2016 Bárbara rated it really liked it
Well, what a pleasant surprise...

With that title, I was convinced I would find something I'd definitely end up not really liking. However, this story was pretty different from what I expected, in a very good way!
It was funny, and awkward in a sweet way. It was also really hot, in just the right measure.
Plus, the characters were adorable.
It was exactly the kind of story I'm always in the mood for.
Anyta Sunday
Very short. But cute. :)
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love Has No Boundaries Anthology: Volume 2. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!

3.5 stars I was pleasantly surprised with this. The beginning was cute but I still wasn't sure if I would like how it progressed. I'll admit I was cringing a little at revelation time (view spoiler) because I do not deal well with
Meep
Jun 27, 2015 Meep rated it it was amazing
Cute couple; a refreshing short story without pretensions of being more than it is - a light quick read.

I like the characters. The pregnant neighbour who was surely setting him up and waddling away laughing. Russ's mother 'I didn't realize it was Tuesday?'

The cooking challenge felt like the sort of stupid situation that could happen even if the rest of story was pushing credibility a bit.

There didn't seem any reason for them to take so long to get together, especially with the angst free accepta
Katy Beth Mckee
May 07, 2016 Katy Beth Mckee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, comedy_humor
When you run into your old college crush why not let him back you into a cooking challenge. And maybe you be able to settle some other things once and for all as well. Sweet and funny.
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Jun 11, 2013 Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!) rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, read-m-m
Another hit story for the LHNB M/M write event!

This one was cute & fun with some steamy on top! :) It left me with a cheesy smile and feeling happy. Gotta love it!
Lauren
I loved this! It was funny and really sweet. I really didn't want it to end! Tristan was awesome and Russ was an absolute sweetheart :)
Silkeeeeee
Here's another sweet short story to love. I know, those words don't normally come from my fingers. Quick, cute as hell and the last paragraph gave me the giggles.

Thanks for sharing, Anna!
Matthew
Aug 06, 2013 Matthew rated it liked it
The best part of the story was the photo, but it was cute with some sexy snippets. It followed the prompt but really didn't do anything interesting with it.
mw138
Jun 10, 2013 mw138 rated it liked it
Nice friends to lovers story.
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
It was a nice read:0
Anke
Jun 26, 2013 Anke rated it really liked it
Still smiling :)
Jennifer Oliveira
Oct 30, 2016 Jennifer Oliveira rated it really liked it
This was very cute. Taking into account the fact that it has only 30 pages, I'm surprised it managed to "tell" and "show" the reader so much. I only had issues with the occasional grammar mistakes.
Penumbra
Straight Men Can't Cook was written for the M/M Romance Group's Love Has No Boundaries picture prompt event. It's told in first person through the eyes of Russ.

(view spoiler)
Julesmarie
Jun 23, 2013 Julesmarie rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! My new favorite LHNB story! It's everything a friends-to-lovers first-time story should be, and it fit the prompt beautifully. Spectacular story, Russ and Tristan are not only hot together, but I completely believed their friendship and how much they honestly cared for each other.

Favorite Quote
That's something I've always disliked about supermarket shoppingL the way you can be judged for what you have in your basket. So I had a shitty day and have a cart full of Doritos and Ben &am
Verena
Jul 18, 2014 Verena rated it really liked it
Sweet, funny and light little story about unresolved attraction getting a second chance without years of pining in between, and the guys jumping on that chance (and each other, hurr) without much angsting. Their lack of greater inhibitions seemed to be in character to me, and the things done, said, and not said in the seduction scene were pretty well chosen to portray that moment of hovering on the edge of a decision which has, in a way, been a long time coming. Also another battle against ...more
  • Daddy's Boy
  • Breathing Snow
  • The Tail of a Dog
  • The Best Part
  • Dirty Boys
Hello fellow readers and writers! I'm originally from the UK but currently living in and loving the USA. I have been reading and attempting to write m/m stories for around three years. It's a not so new guilty pleasure. I used to work in finance but am currently a stay at home mom to two young children under the age of four, so free time doesn't come along that often. When it does, writing about ...more
More about Anna Birmingham...

Don't Read in the Closet Events (1 - 10 of 688 books)
  • Bobby's Christmas Gift
  • A Bugger to Pack
  • Christmas Gifts
  • Christmas in the Sandbox
  • Cocklebur's Christmas
  • The Conquerors (Zero-G wrestling)
  • Crying Wolf (Portals, #2.5)
  • D.N.A.: Double Helix