Start by marking “Happy Hormones, Slim Belly” as Want to Read:

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Carb Cycle Based on Hormonal Stages For women over 40, weight loss can be a nightmare with fluctuating hormones and unbearable cravings. Contrary to the conventional wisdom of slashing calories and spending hours at the gym, breakthrough science has confirmed that cutting sugar for two days, then adding it back for five days, will keep your insulin low, which cuts belly fa ...more
Published December 23rd 2013 by Hay House, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Happy Hormones, Slim Belly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Hormones, Slim Belly

Ellen Christian
The program is fairly easy to follow and the book contains a great amount of information as far as foods you can eat on which days. There are also loads of different recipes you can make for the different weeks depending on which day you are on. For the most part, the book recommends whole foods so you aren’t going to find canned/processed foods in their recipes which I really appreciate. I also like that he recommends avoiding artificial sweeteners and instead choosing something like stevia. Th ...more
Create With Joy
If you are a woman who has reached a certain point in your life, you've probably discovered that gaining weight is easier than it once was, and losing weight is more difficult than ever before.

“It truly isn't your fault!” proclaims Jorge Cruise – the best-selling author of 19 weight loss books, including Happy Hormones, Slim Belly, a guide written for women over 40. According to Jorge, not only have women been following misguided weight loss advice all of their lives – advice that clearly does n
Cara
The premise here is that eating carbs triggers insulin and insulin makes you fat. Not only does it make you crave more carbs, but it also triggers your cells to store fat. However, your body also needs carbs to make serotonin, especially if you're a woman over 40/in peri-menopause. You can't both eliminate carbs and eat more carbs, so the author suggests cycling between two days of low-carb eating (25 grams of carbs a day) and five days of more moderate carb eating (125 grams of carbs a day). Fo ...more
Teena in Toronto
I'm always interested in reading books about getting healthy and losing weight. This one attracted me because it's directed at women over 40.

The contents include:

The irony - how to be happy and slim
The key to a slim belly
The key to happy hormones
The solution - your carb cycling plan
Recipes
The food lists
The blissful workout
FAQs

There are lots of books about weight loss programs out there. The premise of this one is directed at women because of hormonal changes are we get older.

This one is
Jenn S.
I've read a lot of diet books, cooking healthy books, and the like. While this one may claim to have science behind it, it just does not deliver. There is no way the average family could afford this for starters. The plan has entirely too much sugar intake. The design and photographs are off putting. The more I tried to read the more irritated I became. If I followed this book I'd gain, not lose. There are much better books out there, and knowledgeable people who would share how they lost weight ...more
Patty
I'll explain all... We'll explore further... You'll learn how... We'll delve into... I'll teach you how to do this... I will make sure you are prepared... In this chapter we'll... The rest of this chapter will... In the next chapter... In the following chapters... I intend to remedy... I'll go through...

Sugar Calories are Total Carbs X 4. Count only sugar calories. Limit sugar calories to 100 on Monday and Tuesday. For the rest of the week, limit sugar calories to 500.

I told you how to... I shar
Shannon L. Gonzalez
By Jorge Cruise

Made To Order Program for Women Over 40!

As women age, they are hit with an onslaught of physical issues and weight gain is just one of them. Jorge Cruise has taken dietary scientific studies and combined them with waist-whittling recipes in a new approach specifically designed for women over 40.

Women crave certain sugary foods because of the hormones wrecking havoc on the body. Jorge offers a way to counteract these hormones by balancing them with prope
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews at the Online Eccentric Librarian  http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Happy Hormones, Slim Belly is an easy to read book that follows up on the author's previous diet plans, this time targeting women over 40 and their special needs. The author does take pains to note that the diet is suitable for all ages and genders but especially for older women. He cites studies of how pre-menopausal and menopausal women have hormonal issues that make their cravings and weight loss a problematic endeavor
Cherene
Interesting idea: carb cycling for women over 40. The main idea is to eat VERY little carbs two days a week, then eat a very sensible diet the other five days. The author spells out specific meal plans for weeks, and includes recipes and photos. I don't have time to whip up a meal from scratch three times a day, and I'm sure I couldn't get my kids to eat (or fill up on) most of the recipes. So, while I find the idea interesting, it would be very difficult for me to implement in my life.
Anonymous
I wanted to like it but there are too many foods that we know are unhealthy and fattening (bacon, lots of cheese, half and half, cream cheese, mayo).

Like the Atkins diet, you might lose weight but what about the other factors that support good overall health (cholesterol, blood pressure, cancer)??
Monique
While this book has an interesting hook, but seems that it would be hard to implement. The idea if sugar calories goes against everything we know. The meals seem easy enough but nothing new (other than the sugar calorie concept). Cycling on and off just seems like yo-yo dieting to me. I'll pass.
Elizabeth Grieve
Interesting take on diet for women over 40, similar to the 5:2 Diet. Lots of info on carbs and their effect on us, with detailed meal plans and recipes which seem to be easily achievable without too much of a 'culture shock'. Overall good, but will update after putting it to the test.

Reviewed in exchange for a preview copy.
Jennifer Patrick
Very informative. I knew I couldn't totally cut carbs so I really like this "carb cycling" plan. I think I can go NO carb just 2 days a week. Especially when I know I have a high carb waiting for me one day a week. Only a few days into this plan so I guess time will tell if it is successful.
Katarina
I'm female and over 40, so the title intrigued me.

I learned lots of great info. What Jorge says totally makes sense. He explains why women over 40 have such a hard time losing weight or sticking to a diet.
The carb cycle way of eating totally makes sense and I'm going to try it out.

The book contains lots and lots of great recipes. I can't imagine anyone feeling deprived following the plan and the recipes.

The book is well written, has great photos, is easy to read, understand and follow.

Highly rec
Nina Harrington
For those who are familiar with the 5:2 Intermittent Fasting regime the principles behind this book are very familiar.
It is interesting to note the link between serotonin and carbohydrates and the concept that serotonin is so important that carbohydrates are essential for mental health.
There are very comprehensive meal plans which make up most of the book.
Where the book fails are in the colour scheme - purple?? - and the recipes which are very unappealing [ lots of whey powder and ]
The photogra
Susan
I'm not sure about the switching between eating styles each week--I don't think I could keep track--but, the book does include a great list of sugar-shock vs no-sugar-shock foods.
Paige
Carb cycling program. Different than Atkins in that you can actually eat carbs.
Regina Nunley
I actually borrowed the book from LA Public Library...is an idea I plan to start tomorrow...I have been reviewing eating transitions like this since summer..A good pal followed his 'Belly Fat' plan and lost belly for sure....I am now looking to reduce carbs in a way to lose weight and not go crazy..so I am looking forward to see how this works for me...
Harpreet Chadha
Harpreet Chadha marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Heather Hamilton
Heather Hamilton marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Duaa
Duaa marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Exercise Cure: A Sports Doctor's Guide to Maximizing Your Dose of the World's Greatest Medicine
  • How to Be Perfect
  • Happiness by Design: Change What You Do, Not How You Think
  • Enough: Staying Human in an Engineered Age
  • The Four Day Win: End Your Diet War and Achieve Thinner Peace
  • Shocked: Adventures in Bringing Back the Recently Dead
  • WomanCode: Perfect Your Cycle, Amplify Your Fertility, Supercharge Your Sex Drive, and Become a Power Source
  • Caffeinated: How Our Daily Habit Helps, Hurts, and Hooks Us
  • The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity
  • Constant Craving: What Your Food Cravings Mean and How to Overcome Them
  • Nurturing the Soul of Your Family: 10 Ways to Reconnect and Find Peace in Everyday Life
  • Unraveling: Hanging On to Faith Through the End of a Christian Marriage
  • New Spirit-Filled Life Bible: Kingdom Equipping Through the Power of the Word
  • The Kickstarter Handbook: Real-Life Success Stories of Artists, Inventors, and Entrepreneurs
  • Stand Strong: You Can Overcome Bullying (and other stuff that keeps you down)
  • The Perpetual Papers of the Pack of Pets
  • Grace, Under Pressure: A Girl with Asperger's and Her Marathon Mom
  • Death on Lindisfarne (The Aidan Mysteries #2)
The Belly Fat Cure: No Dieting with the NEW Sugar/Carb Approved Foods 8 Minutes in the Morning: A Simple Way to Shed Up to 2 Pounds a Week Guaranteed The 100: Count ONLY Sugar Calories and Lose Up to 18 Lbs. in 2 Weeks The 3-Hour Diet (TM): How Low-Carb Diets Make You Fat and Timing Makes You Thin The Belly Fat Cure� Fast Track: Discover the Ultimate Carb Swap� and Drop Up to 14 lbs. the First 14 Days