Start by marking “I Wish I Had a Pet” as Want to Read:
I Wish I Had a Pet

I Wish I Had a Pet

Smartly dressed mice give sage advice on all elements of proper pet care in this photographic picture book.

Who hasn’t yearned for the perfect pet? The mice in this book—hand-sewn and inhabiting enchanting, diorama-style scenes—know all about critter care, and they’re here to share wise words about choosing and keeping animal companions.

Whimsical images of the mice with the
Published July 1st 2014 by Beach Lane Books (first published February 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about I Wish I Had a Pet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Wish I Had a Pet

karen
Dec 28, 2015 karen rated it it was amazing
this book makes me want to be maggie rudy's pet.

photo IMG_5381_zpslbm9hmzx.jpg

just to curl up next to her chair by the fireplace and watch her make these teeny tiny felt mice and carve these teeny tiny tables and probably watch her duck underneath regular-sized tables to hide when wes anderson starts pounding on her windows begging her to come outside and play. i will bark at him for you, maggie rudy!

photo IMG_5388_zpsgfyzkbqh.jpg

this book is both the cutest thing ever and an important series of things to keep in mind if you are a child about to get y
Erica
Jul 07, 2014 Erica rated it it was amazing
This may be the cutest book I have ever seen in my wholeentire life.
My eyes were practically bleeding because of the adorableness being shoved in them.

So the story, it is not a story. It is a practical guide for young pet-owning-hopefuls to help with responsibly choosing a pet. It's something every person who has never had a pet should consider before taking the plunge. Good advice, all around.

The illustrations are stopped stop-motion animation (that's not a thing, don't go looking it up); they
Natalie
Sep 25, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing
As a young girl one of my favorite books was a collection of nursery rhymes done in miniatures. I must have looked over it's illustrations no less than a thousand times. I feel the same way when reading I Wish I Had a Pet. I keep turning it's pages over and over and starting again. There is a distinct absence of this style of illustration in contemporary books, save the work of Cynthia von Buhler I can't think another. I'm not going to be able to part with this one any time soon.

paula
I AM SUCH A SUCKER FOR THIS.

Oooooh little sculpted winsome mousies and other creatures in scenes with dollhouse items and found objects (walnut shell baby carriages! a stepladder made of an old ruler!). It's like The Fantastic Mr. Fox in book form, minus the Beach Boys soundtrack!

It is always a LITTLE weird when animals have pets, though. In this book the author seems to be getting around that by dividing the pet owners from the pets along taxonomic lines - all the owners are mammals (mousies) a
Mary
Feb 05, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
An endearing picture book about a young mouse looking for the perfect pet. The illustrations are photographs of mouse figurines set in old-fashioned dioramas. This will be a good book for discussing pet care. I'm still chuckling over the picture of the mouse waxing the turtle's shell.
Jennifer Armstrong
Jul 03, 2014 Jennifer Armstrong rated it it was amazing
This has now taken first place in my list of favorite toddler books of the year. The art doll animals (hand-felted mice and birds, paper insects, etc.) are charming and expressive, and the text is simple and engaging. A truly delightful book.
Emma Snyder
Oct 01, 2015 Emma Snyder rated it it was ok
Shelves: edrd-314
I think that these illustrations are very interesting and different. It's hard to explain, but the characters seem like they are set up and then photographed. I think that the story has a good lesson but the illustrations are a bit scary for children.
Barb Middleton
Feb 21, 2016 Barb Middleton rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, pets
The illustrations are really unique. Most of the pets are real photographs of insects. The students loved studying the pictures. Weird, but fun book.
Regina L
Jun 02, 2015 Regina L rated it it was amazing
A bunch of delightfully enchanting, fancily-dressed mice are here to assist you as you navigate the rocky waters of choosing and caring for your very first pet! These mice are very smart and dispense great advice about a pet owner’s duties – making sure the pet is clean and fed, exercised, and of course, that you are enjoying eachother’s company! They learned this great advice through caring for their own bumblebees, ladybugs, birds, butterflies, beetles and more!

“I Wish I Had a Pet” is filled w
The Styling Librarian
I wish I had a pet by Maggie Rudy – This talent of an illustrator makes the most delicate fascinating creations for her books. I am in awe each time I look at her books. The book is quite cute- about a little mouse who needs to be quite thoughtful when selecting a pet. I committed to having a hedgehog as a pet a long time ago and found him to be really disgusting but I loved him and was committed for 6 years… then found a student whose family knew how to care for hedgehogs and passed him over. ...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
I Wish I had a Pet by Maggie Rudy fulfills its purpose. It is a good book to share with children who are interested in having a pet. It illustrates the responsibilities that go along with pet ownership. The illustrations are unique. Instead of watercolor or hand drawn illustrations, they are composed of handmade objects and found objects photographed digitally. As the title suggests, this is not a good pick for parents to read to their children with no interest in adopting a pet.
Rebecca
This is adorable and different! "The illustrations for this book are digital photographs of scenes composed of found objects in combination with handmade elements." I see felted handmade mice in detailed dioramas. I think kids will get the humor of all the different "bug" pets a mouse could have, but you have to look pretty close to appreciate some of the visual jokes. See more of the author's work at http://mouseshouses.blogspot.com/.
Jillian Heise
Aug 06, 2014 Jillian Heise rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute book written in second person talking to the reader but following along with a mouse searching for a pet. A strong message about having and taking care of pets and the companionship they can bring meshes with the photographic illustrations of a mouse family trying out and taking care of new pets. Entertaining and humorous as well as informative. My nephew particularly liked finding the roly-poly pet on each page.
Kendra
Sep 22, 2014 Kendra rated it liked it
Really cool illustrations! I think kids will be super intrigued by them, without the text. The text is fine, but nothing special, in my opinion. Sweet and kids will be able to relate to the desire for a pet and grownups will relate to explaining all the fun and not so fun stuff that goes along with owning a pet.
Jocelyn
Aug 29, 2014 Jocelyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book was really cute! I love the illustration style, using little mouse dolls to interact with objects to tell the story. The pets the mouse is considering are mostly bugs, which is perfect for my bug loving kids. It also teaches about some of the practical considerations of getting a pet.

Would happily read again!
Amy Adams
Jul 08, 2015 Amy Adams rated it it was amazing
Very cute book about what all it takes to have a pet. The illustrations are all unique, made with found and/or handmade objects. The mice are made of felt. (I thought they might've been taxidermied at first!) This is a great book for a kid who's longing for a pet or who just loves cleverly illustrated books! Great for storytime.
Danielle
Jul 20, 2016 Danielle rated it really liked it
The artwork is a little on the creepy/weird side, which I'm not really sure is a good or a bad thing. Maybe neither. The story is sweet though. It's a good book about having a pet and all the work/responsibility/fun that comes along with it
Alice
Nov 16, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-25-stars
3.25 stars I love that this book's pictures are 3d photos. But...Sorry..it has mice...and even though they have TRIED to make mice cute...it isn't!
Still a great story for those thinking about getting a pet!
Heydi Smith
Jul 25, 2014 Heydi Smith rated it it was amazing
I loved how this book was put together, I loved the mouse and the old school feel of pictures and well, everything about it.

I would use it for storytimes about pets or wishes or maybe even insects.
Karen
May 17, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
The text for this book is good; it does a great job of explaining to young readers the responsibilities of pet ownership in a rather sweet way. But the illustrations are beyond fantastic. I don't need another pet, but I would love to have one of Maggie Rudy's mice. SO cute!
Bethe
Feb 17, 2015 Bethe rated it liked it
Goofy mice diorama photographs with tips on selecting and caring for a pet. I like the free roly polies and the sentiment on the last page where there is a pet waiting for you! Fun pet suggestions on endpapers. CIP data says 636 but I don't see this as an informational text.
Samantha
Jul 28, 2014 Samantha rated it it was ok
Shelves: juv-nonfiction, mice, pets
I really liked the text: advice for picking the perfect pet, but the artwork kinda creeped me out.

Each scene is a digital photograph of found and handmade pieces artfully arranged to support the text. PreK-2.
Diane
Jan 01, 2015 Diane rated it liked it
"Together you'll have exciting times, quiet times, and silly times, too."

A few simple things to remember about choosing and caring for a pet. A little mouse demonstrates with different pets. Sweet.
Connie Easlick
It is a cute book to read, but some of the pictures are not so cute to me. There are bugs bigger than the mouse that are supposed to be pets. The cute part was the bird chosen as a pet that the mouse hung off of, since it was HUGE for a pet.
Angela
Oct 06, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary-books
A book with a sweet ending. Parents will enjoy the good advice this book gives when looking for a pet. Love the use of the hermit crabs!
Jul 02, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love, love, love the illustrations and the message about finding the right pet for you is well done too.
Tracie
May 05, 2015 Tracie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The photographic/diorama style make this picture book fun to look through. The advice is solid as well.
Meadow
Aug 21, 2014 Meadow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, animals
Nice story about choosing which might be the best pet for a child. Cute characters and pets done in a beautiful style.
Marg Corjay
Dec 28, 2014 Marg Corjay rated it it was amazing
Answers questions children need to consider about getting a pet. The illustration were intricate and fantastic, very artistic.
Kathryn
Aug 17, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
These little mice are so darn cute and what a terrific message for children to understand getting the perfect pet for them.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Secret Life of Squirrels
  • I'm Not Reading!
  • Mister Bud Wears the Cone
  • A Gift for Mama
  • Some Bugs
  • Have You Heard the Nesting Bird?
  • Tea Party Rules
  • Penguin in Peril
  • Deep in the Sahara
  • Princess Sparkle-Heart Gets a Makeover
  • Pardon Me!
Creator of Mouseland. Makes characters and sets out of felt and found materials, and photographs them. Children's book author. Lives in Portland, Oregon.
More about Maggie Rudy...