Start by marking “The Small Bachelor” as Want to Read:
The Small Bachelor

The Small Bachelor

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  506 ratings  ·  45 reviews
What must a man do in order to put an end to his bachelorhood? For George Finch, one of nature's white mice and probably the worst artist ever to put brush to canvas, there are many obstacles. Undoubtedly the greatest is his beloved Molly's fearsome stepmother, Mrs. Waddington, who has her eye on an eligible English lord for a son-in-law. Luckily, George has an ally in sha...more
Published May 7th 1991 by Penguin Books (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about The Small Bachelor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Small Bachelor

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. RowlingWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A.  MilneCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Initial Success
192nd out of 289 books — 29 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovTender Is the Night by F. Scott FitzgeraldEmma by Jane AustenBeloved by Toni Morrison
The Keith Law 101 (Klaw 101)
60th out of 100 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikki
I didn't enjoy The Small Bachelor as much as the Jeeves book I read, though it did help with the Jeeves book that I could see parallels with Bunter and Lord Peter in Dorothy L. Sayers' books. The humour isn't so great for me when a lot of it revolves around embarrassment and ridiculous situations -- that came off better for me in the Jeeves book than in this one, I think.

Still, it's well-written and entertaining, definitely: I had a pretty high standard set for Wodehouse from the first book of h...more
Nick
Small the bachelor may be, but this is a giant book. It's all here: love, loss, and good advice about what to do when a pickpocket shows up at your wedding claiming to be your sordid scarlet woman past. This is an early Wodehouse set in New York, and we get a bit of additional fun from the Englishman's slightly skewed take on how Americans speak and act. If you haven't read it, and need a night off from your worries, this is the book and the author for you. If you have read it, the plot is much...more
Andrew Fish
This book started its life as a musical stage-comedy and, at first, it looked as if this would be a weakness: the early chapters are dense with Wodehouse's wonderful prose, but thinner on what you might call the meat of the thing. You could even tell where a song or two might have been inserted. This, however, was not to last, and when the plot began to thicken, landing poor George Finch firmly in the mulligatawny, you could see the book was going to be a classic high-speed farce. By the last fe...more
this was my first p. g. wodehouse house. though it wasn't part of any of the jeeves series, i feel like i at least got a taste of wodehouse's style. this novel was light and funny and endlessly optimistic about love and circumstance. i quite enjoyed it as a quick fun read. i particularly liked the cover illustration of the edition i had, which displayed a very tiny, cute, bespectacled bachelor man holding dumbbells on the roof of his ny apt. super cute.
Emily
Good old Wodehouse. This was a fun one, with lots of great wordplay, and hilarious characters. I lost track of how many times I stopped to read sections out loud to my husband. Wodehouse's talent for elaborate exaggeration is one of the things I love most about his writing. Instead of simply stating that George Finch's future mother-in-law was giving him dirty looks at the dinner table, Wodehouse put it this way:
It was the kind of look which Sisera might have surprised in the eye of Jael the wi
Davidg
The short opening chapter of just over three lines sets the scene in the Sheridan Arpartment House in New York. The second paragraph then commences:

"The Sheridan stands in the heart of New York's Bohemian and artistic quarter. If you threw a brick from any of its windows, you would be certain to brain some rising young interior decorator, some Vorticist sculptor or a writer of revolutionary version libre. And a very good thing too."

Instantly you know you are in safe hands and Wodehouse is on fo...more
Titta
I heard about The Small Bachelor from a friend that recommended P.G. Woodehouse for me. I had know about the Jeeves, the butler character that the author had created but never realized that it was Woodehouse. I found this book from my uni's small take and bring back a book - shelf and decided to give it a try. And I am glad I did. The Small Bachelor is really enjoyable and the writer uses really diverse English in his writing.

The Small Bachelor is based on the America during the Prohibition. Ge...more
Fazackerly Toast
a delicious farce with all the Wodehouse ingredients gradually falling into place.
Nina Ivanova
Full review/Пълно ревю - Bla bla bla

"Нюйоркски гении" ни среща с леко смотания Джордж Финч, който съхне и вехне по красивата Моли. Когато най-накрая узнава, че всъщност вече е спечелил сърцето и, оказва се, че друго зло стои на пътя им - а по-точно страховитата и мащеха. В цялата история се замесват не един нюйоркски гений - докато Джордж сам се опитва да се оправи, на помощ му се притича приятеля му Биймиш, автор на брошури със съвети. Икономът на Джордж и бивш джебчия има свои, макар и съвсем...more
Ian Wood
Nov 07, 2007 Ian Wood rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
‘The Small Bachelor’ is a Wodehouse farce spanning a larger canvas than usual. George Finch has fallen in love with Molly Waddington and intends to marry her despite her mothers ‘reservations.’ Mrs Waddington wants Molly to marry Lord Hunstanton. Hamilton Beamish has fallen in love with Mrs Waddington’s fortune teller and intends to marry her despite his distrust of love at first sight. George’s ex-con Valet has managed to marry his sweetheart pickpocket Fanny but she has disappeared from her ho...more
Suriya Gayathri
It's an enjoyable light read and is a true page-turner. This may be one of the books which I read with an interesting and rapid pulse. The plot is pretty neat, humorous and simple. I’ve ordered more of his books as the author becomes one of my favourites.
Lani
2.5 stars. Fun but not really my cup of tea. It felt like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a novel or a play. A nice read though...read it for book club.
Rachel
Sep 08, 2014 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, s
After a lot of recent moaning about PG Wodehouse and the similarities of some of the stories, I actually found myself enjoying this book and wanting to see if the wedding between the couples actually went ahead and if Sigsby Waddington got his necklace and his money back. The side characters made me laugh (especially the pomposity of Mrs Waddington), and didn’t seem to be quite so idiotic as ones in other novels. I think I may have stereotyped the accents in my head a little but there is not muc...more
Ram Kaushik
Classic Wodehouse full of delicious word-plays and a hilarious plot.
Kavita
Jul 22, 2014 Kavita added it
Just the kind of fiction, storytelling that makes me read through.
Lalitha
Best book to start my summer holidays with.Comical, interesting and an absolute pleasure to read.
Gemzi
The first book I have read by P.G. Wodehouse was quite good. It is not exactly a mystery or an adventure or some of my favourite genres, but it is more realistic fiction, and it was written 100ish years ago making it historical fiction, though back then it wouldn't have been. It is quite humorous, and the plot is funny and pleasing. Some of the words are difficult but the book fits together so you can understand what they mean. An light and enjoyable book.
Suzanne
Good fun for a plane ride. It was nice to get a dose of Wodehouse humor with new characters and set in New York City.

I love comic novels with convoluted plots and a host of three-dimensional minor characters. Even better if, at the end of the novel, all the characters show up at the same place to resolve all the plot threads and misunderstandings, and there's one or two weddings in the offing.

Thomas R
I'd never read this author before or, actually, since I guess. It was kind of an impulse buy because I'd sort-of heard of the name and I thought the cover was colorful. Anyway it was kind of silly and fun "light-reading." For some reason I thought it would be different than it was, but it was funny and zany or what not.
☯Bettie☯
George Finch from Idaho moves to New York and becomes the worst artist the world has ever known.

In Bugsy Malone it was cream buns, here the prohibition is strafed by rapid fire witticisms. Lovely rom-com.
Philip Whiteland
The usual mix of dominant, upper class harridans, weak-willed husbands and dashing young chaps chasing beautiful, simpering girls. Really, an English country house situation, transferred to 1920s New York. I love the way that the height of passion in a Wodehouse novel is a chaste kiss under the moonlight.
Scott Thrift
An unusually complicated plot for PGW. Beyond the usual frustrated engagement there's a crime spree, a comment on Prohibition, two additional love sub-plots. And some of the wittiest language of the canon, I think.
Varsha
I ‘ve always wanted to read PG Wodehouse books and what a great book to start with!! Awfully Hilarious, too much of confusion and chaos, humorous dialogues and what not!! ‘Say listen’ enjoyed every bit of it.
Priyanka Kulkarni
Too much confusion, too much fun! No matter how miserable you are, this one will leave you laughing your heart out! I read it during my MBA lectures and it was totally worthwhile! ;)
Ian
Enjoyable romantic comedy set in New York. Written at the height of the prohibition, which is reflected in the big police raid on the "Purple Chicken".
Deepak Francis
This is my first book from the house of PG wodehouse.It's a light,fun book to read.The characters are really comical and funny.
Harmony
I've always heard good things about Wodehouse, and after reading this, I know why. Hysterical! Strongly recommended.
Ronak Banker
The book has a nice plot with a couple of love stories built in. I really pity the poor Officer Garroway.
Anne
I just finished this book and laughed out loud the whole way through. Looking for more of the same. :)
Brynna
Classic P. G. Wodehouse set in America during Prohibition. As usual, frequently worthy of laughing out loud.
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Consider Love
  • The Exploits and Adventures of Brigadier Gerard
  • The Collected Short Stories of Saki
  • Guys and Dolls
  • Trouble In The Town Hall (Dorothy Martin, #2)
  • Eat the Rich: A Treatise on Economics
  • The Pirates! in an Adventure with the Romantics
  • Bastards & Boneheads: Canada's Glorious Leaders, Past and Present
  • The Ordeal Of Gilbert Pinfold
  • The Island of Sheep (Richard Hannay #5)
  • The Fox; The Captain's Doll; The Ladybird
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells (Jeeves, #16)
  • Dancing Aztecs
  • Ishmael
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Oulipo Compendium
  • The Magic Summer
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 30 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)

“Marriage is not a process for prolonging the life of love, sir. It merely mummifies its corpse.” 129 likes