Start by marking “Hippos Can't Swim and Other Fun Facts (Did You Know?, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hippos Can't Swim and Other Fun Facts (Did You Know?, #1)

Hippos Can't Swim and Other Fun Facts (Did You Know?, #1)

Did you know that hippos can't swim? This hilarious book is full of fun facts about all sorts of animals, from sleepy ants to jellyfish that glow!

Did you know that a zebra's stripes are as unique as a human's fingerprints?
How about that ants take about 250 naps per day?
Or that some jellyfish can glow--and that's called bioluminescence?

Colorful, humorous illustrations accom
Published February 4th 2014 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Hippos Can't Swim and Other Fun Facts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hippos Can't Swim and Other Fun Facts

Franki Sibberson
Love this new nonfiction series!
Sha
Sep 14, 2015 Sha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Elementary Education Teachers and well as SPED
Disiena, L. & Eliot, H. (2015).Hippos can't swim and other fun facts. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.

Disiena and Eliot did a great job creating a very informational book that gives real life accounts of animals students may not have everyday contact with. The illustrator adds character to the book with vivid and detailed illustrations to help students who need visual connection with the information and animal. The humor in this picture book is great for younger audiences. Adding humor to
Nanci Booher
This book happened to be at my scholastic bookfair and the cover art grabbed my attention. I didn't have time at that moment to see if it was fiction or non fiction but I purchased it for school and today I got to read it. ADORABLE. Writing a non fiction book aimed at kids is a talent...it has to grab their attention enough for them to read it through and not overwhelm them with facts they can't remember. What I really liked about this book is that facts about one animal will lead to facts about ...more
Jessica Lane
Sep 08, 2016 Jessica Lane rated it really liked it
Hippos Can't Swim by Laura Lyn DiSiena is a fun, nonfiction book for elementary aged children. It teaches fun facts about different animals using fun language and hilarious pictures. I didn't even know a lot of the facts, especially that hippos can't swim!

I loved this book! The facts were educational but still fun enough to keep kids interested. The illustrations by Pete Oswald were so funny. On the page that talks about fireflys finding mates, it has a picture of a male firefly proposing to a f
Julia Elise
Mar 22, 2015 Julia Elise rated it it was amazing
I was surprised about how much I didn't know in this book and how it took some convincing for my daughter to believe that hippos cannot swim. The authors did a great job of picking animals and facts that are not necessarily widely known, and presented them to children in a fun and colorful manner. The illustrations are colorful and cute.

I had no idea that sea turtles could swim as fast as 35 mph. Facts like this one would be great to present to a classroom while discussing differences among anim
Oct 08, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
I think that young students would love this book and the fun animal facts inside. At first I wasn't crazy about the lack of connection between animals, but grew to like it as the book went on, especially for younger students. I do wish that there were some more non-fiction text features and that the book had a reference page of some sort, or shared how the authors learned what they taught us. Overall, an enjoyable book for young students to giggle at and learn some interesting animal facts.
Carol
Interesting facts about a variety of wildlife are presented in a clever way, making it fun for the reader to learn. Each fact leads from one animal to another in a seemingly random fashion until the last fact refers back to the first fact in true cyclical fashion. The illustrations are colorful and entertaining as well. This book is a great choice for independent readers or for grown-ups to read to small children.
Susan
Jun 08, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: children-juv
I'm reviewing the paperback issue that did not come with a recording. Cute book, lots of fun facts that children will be spouting off to their parents and whoever else they can get to listen to the "did you know..." info bites. Cartoon illustrations make it more appealing for some kids than the usual straight drawing or photo (even though I did not care for the art at all but that is just me), and there is a lot of info packed into a small, picture book sized, child-friendly book.
Stephanie Crowther
Nov 04, 2014 Stephanie Crowther rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-lit
This was a very fun book. Humorously written, it makes the facts it presents even more interesting. The artwork is very colorful and lively. The writing style, the illustrations, and the facts themselves give this book a fun feel for children and adults alike. I would recommend it to students in grades 2-4.
Karen
Mar 25, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Nice little tidbits of information with no more than 2 pages per animal. Transitions from one animal to the next were awkward/stretched at times but not distracting to the overall flow of the book. Recommended for introduction into a specific animal to get the conversation going. Cute cartoony illustrations.
Ms. H
Sep 01, 2016 Ms. H rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and so did my kids! #classroombookaday It was the perfect way to get my kids interested in some nonfiction books! SO HAPPY to see that Laura Lyn Disiena created a series revolving around these Did You Know? books! My kids are going to love them all!
Emily
Jul 30, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
I picked this up at the Scholastic Reading Summit last week. It was in the 'Informational Text" display and I am working on some informational text sets. It would be a great read to include in a set for third or fourth grade. Fun pictures, lots of data. It would be a great book to give to students and have them create visuals for the data presented.
Jayce Senter
Jul 24, 2015 Jayce Senter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We loved this book and learned lots of fun facts about animals we thought we knew pretty well. Each page gives lesser known facts about animals such as hippos, zebras, herons, jellyfish, hummingbirds. My 3-year-old loved learning new words like bioluminescence. He also brought up herons a week later as we were talking about a different bird.
Barb Simpson
Oct 06, 2015 Barb Simpson rated it it was amazing
Super fun nonfiction book about animals. Did you know ants take 250 one minute naps a day? Or that a hummingbird flaps its wings up to 80 times per second? Both my 5 & 8 year olds loved this one! Great facts & vocabulary. Engaging illustrations too.
Caroline Raines
Dec 16, 2014 Caroline Raines rated it it was amazing
This book is really awesome for little facts about animals, and I actually learned some neat facts! This is a great book for art, and for children to see and understand what animals really do in the wild. I would recommend this book to anyone with children who are interested in animals.
Karissa Weekes
Feb 24, 2015 Karissa Weekes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 15-animals
I really liked this book, It had fun bright colors that really added to the book. The pictures were very cute and made me laugh. Also it did teach some interesting facts that kids would love! Overall a really cute book about animals.
Anne
Jun 02, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of fun facts about animals. I liked the cartoon-style art, but what really impressed me was the writing. There are excellent transitions between animals.This would be a fantastic mentor text for teaching how to transition smoothly between paragraphs.
Earl
Feb 04, 2014 Earl rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, 2014, nonfiction
I’m excited to recommend this new series to kids who love truly fun facts about animals! The vibrant and colorful illustrations add another level of enjoyment. If those weren’t enough, they cram more information at the end of the books!
Stella Fowler
Jun 02, 2014 Stella Fowler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a ball reading this book! I never knew that hippos can't swim, ants take about 250 naps a day, and firefly lights can come in three different colors.

Humorous illustrations and zany facts make this book a great read. I might even consider it for storytime.
Aug 13, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is very well-written nonfiction for primary students...perfect for their research and investigations. I am glad it is part of a series, as I will be on the lookout for more.
Amanda Walz
Jul 24, 2015 Amanda Walz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read aloud! I love how the author has the facts flow from one animal to another. A really great book with cool pictures.
Jillian Heise
This is such a fabulous non fiction series with strong voice and wonderful transitions from one idea to the next.
Crysta Xue
Nov 05, 2014 Crysta Xue rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This one I found interesting. I love how it took facts from many animals. This can easily be used in a classroom and home setting.
Reader50
May 13, 2014 Reader50 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Great little book with lots of interesting and fun animal facts and cute illustrations. Appropriate for toddlers/pre-schoolers.
Meredith Kaupp
May 21, 2015 Meredith Kaupp rated it really liked it
This book contains many random, interesting facts about a variety of animals. Some I knew, some were new to me. Kids will probably enjoy it, although probably for higher level readers.
Edward Sullivan
General facts for younger readers about critters of all kinds presented in an appealing, entertaining format. Fun and informative.
Brindi
fascinating facts and wonderful illustrations!!! kids will love this! could use the non-fic to pair perfectly with a themed PSST

great for gifting to the interested child
Maria Caplin
Jul 30, 2014 Maria Caplin rated it it was amazing
Thanks Franki for recommendation. This is a mentor text for science discussing adaptations. For reading compare and contrast and writing for short research. Multiple uses love it!!
Maria
Adorable! Great format.... silly but with great information. I loved how the facts flowed from one page to the next.
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it really liked it
May 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Creature Features: Twenty-Five Animals Explain Why They Look the Way They Do
  • Chasing Cheetahs: The Race to Save Africa's Fastest Cat
  • Handle with Care: An Unusual Butterfly Journey
  • Gravity
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • Water Can Be...