Start by marking “High: Stories of Survival from Everest and K2” as Want to Read:
High: Stories of Survival from Everest and K2

High: Stories of Survival from Everest and K2 (Adrenaline Series)

Everest and K2 are two of the most feared and respected peaks in the world. High offers, in vivid accounts, why both are among the world's most dangerous places, yet why the world's best climbers can't stay away from them.
Audio, 6 pages
Published December 1st 1999 by Adrenaline Audiobooks (first published November 13th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about High, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High

Michael Bartlett
Jan 10, 2010 Michael Bartlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made me realize I do not want to climb a mountain.
Jan
Jun 30, 2010 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A compilation of mountain-climbing "disaster" stories from some of the best-known mountaineers in the world.

Personally, I love to read stories about mountain climbing, although I myself have never climbed a mountain and have no intention of ever doing so. Willis managed to bring an interesting mix of stories together to highlight the wide variety of dangers that one might face while summiting the world's highest peaks - both the expected (freak storms, human error) and the unexpected (corrupt o
Jacinda
Sep 25, 2016 Jacinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographical
Listening to this book and having read and seen a few other things relating to climbing Everest really makes me wonder why people still attempt the climb. While on one hand technology has improved since some of these climbs with better clothing, more technical footwear and oxygen, the crazy fact is that still 1 in 10 odd people die during an Everest climb. Then add the macabre imagery of the bodies of the dead remaining in their last resting place, surrounded by their possessions, littering the ...more
Amerynth
Clint Willis' "Epic - Stories of Survival from the World's Highest Peaks" is a pretty good primer for those interested in mountaineering survival stories. Several of the stories included, especially the miracle belay in the attempt to save Art Gilkey, are considered mountaineering classics.

I've read a lot of books by mountaineers -- of the 16 stories in "Epic," ten were excepts from books I've already read. Most were good selections and fit with the theme well. Even though I've read them before
Abram
Jul 07, 2008 Abram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some of the most well know mountaineering stories combined into one exciting read. If you are interested in man versus mountain this will give you a good dose. Alas the book carries the name Krakauer and one must suspect foul play.
Denise
Jan 28, 2016 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of excerpts from mountaineers writing about their experiences. Some are better writers than others. I liked reading about the expeditions, though I would never like to experience what these men did. It made me cold just reading about it! The story that has stuck with me the longest is about an expedition on Mt. Denali (McKinley at the time) in the winter. Yikes! Three men in a tiny ice cave for at least 5 days pinned down by a howling wind - not much food, no room to mo ...more
Katrin
Jul 11, 2016 Katrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My other find from the shelf in Amsterdam: excerpts from mountaineering books by the likes of John Krakauer, Eric Shipton or Joe Tasker. Very gripping, and it made me want to read some of the books in full -- the one about the winter ascent of Denali ("Minus 148" by Art Davidson) is already earmarked.
Benjamin Torres
Some of the stories were very entertaining and left me hanging (see what I did there? ) but others where too similar and not that great, I guess if I had any experience climbing a mountain I would appreciate more the book, but all in all it was a nice read.
Deb Lyman
The book is good, really well written but probably better enjoyed by mountaineers or those who want to be. I really liked how the climbers expressed their thoughts and feelings during climbing events.
John
Aug 26, 2014 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collection of climbing stories from the mountains all over the world.
Erneilson
Nov 04, 2014 Erneilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic mountaineering stories - some of which I have read in the original text, but still some great reading.
Rebecca
I enjoyed the short story version of these stories.
Tina Birdsall
Mar 14, 2014 Tina Birdsall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot, not so much the writing style.
Tina
Oct 09, 2015 Tina rated it it was ok
Somehow I've heard this before.
Tyler
Feb 09, 2015 Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome collection of short stories assembled in great order.
Tracy
Apr 17, 2009 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories got a bit samey after a while, and I preferred the stories of the more recent treks to the ones from the early 1900's, but overall a good book for anyone who enjoys true-life moutaineering peril stories.
Ray Savarda
Oct 31, 2015 Ray Savarda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-sold
Very Good set of short stories (& excerpts) of mountaineering stores from the 80's back thru the 30's.
Remarkable what people have endured to get to the top of a mountain.
Very readable, and interesting.
Kelli
Feb 24, 2008 Kelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
This book was full of CRAZY stories of how people survived or others who did not survive climbs of various peaks around the world. It was intense. I had to put it down and remember to breathe!
Climberb
Sep 29, 2011 Climberb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic collection that makes you want to read the full stories. An excellent book for those that love mountaineering books, however it is a teaser to the full stories.
Jolovessnow
Apr 02, 2012 Jolovessnow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mountaineering
Each chapter is an excerpt from a mountaineering book. Great collection. I found several that make me want to read the entire book. Armchair mountaineering - love it!
Mark
Jul 17, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the impossible tales of survival. Makes my lab life seem so ordinary and mundane. Makes me want to go climb something big. Something far away from Georgia.
Kris
Jun 25, 2008 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bunch of different stories that are all pretty dang good. He does a great job of telling more then just the adventure by going into a bit of history.
David
Mar 20, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best from some good mountaineering books. I stayed up reading 'til 1:30 am when I had to get up for work 4 hours later.
Nikki
Nov 24, 2008 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
for some reason i really like mountaineering/climbing/survival stories, and this is a cool anthology of a bunch of 'em.
George
Nov 13, 2010 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of climbing stories. These are bits of larger works and now I wish I could read all of them!
Abram
Apr 24, 2009 Abram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
liked it again second time through. Its a good way to enter the realm of armchair mountaineering.
Dec 09, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

In need of a sense of adventure while stuck in an idle state - read this!
Bob
Feb 22, 2009 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this compilation previously. It is as powerful now as it a few years ago.
April Sanders
Apr 30, 2013 April Sanders rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best stories all together for you are a climber or a vicarious participant.
Andrew
Jul 23, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Powerful stories of disasters and close calls while climbing mountains.
  • On the Ridge Between Life and Death: A Climbing Life Reexamined
  • K2: Triumph and Tragedy
  • Dark Shadows Falling
  • High Adventure: The True Story of the First Ascent of Everest
  • Climbing High: A Woman's Account of Surviving the Everest Tragedy
  • Above the Clouds: The Diaries of a High-Altitude Mountaineer
  • The Will to Climb: Obsession and Commitment and the Quest to Climb Annapurna--the World's Deadliest Peak
  • A Life on the Edge: Memoirs of Everest and Beyond
  • Ghosts of Everest: The Search for Mallory & Irvine
  • One Mountain Thousand Summits: The Untold Story Tragedy and True Heroism on K2
  • Forever on the Mountain: The Truth Behind One of Mountaineering's Most Controversial and Mysterious Disasters
  • Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow: The Dark Side of Extreme Adventure
  • Dead Lucky: Life After Death on Mount Everest
  • Savage Summit: The True Stories of the First Five Women Who Climbed K2, the World's Most Feared Mountain
  • K2, The Savage Mountain: The Classic True Story of Disaster and Survival on the World's Second Highest Mountain
  • Touching My Father's Soul: A Sherpa's Journey to the Top of Everest
  • The Lost Explorer: Finding Mallory on Mt. Everest
  • The Mountains of My Life (Modern Library Exploration)