Start by marking “Not Quite a Wife (Lost Lords, #6)” as Want to Read:
Not Quite a Wife (Lost Lords, #6)

Not Quite a Wife (The Lost Lords #6)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  618 ratings  ·  130 reviews
Marry in haste, repent at leisure. James, Lord Kirkland, owns a shipping fleet, half a London gaming house, and is a ruthlessly effective spymaster. He is seldom self-indulgent. . .except when it comes to the gentle, indomitable beauty who was once his wife.

Laurel Herbert gave James her heart as an innocent young girl--until she saw him perform an act of shocking violence
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published August 26th 2014 by Zebra (first published May 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Not Quite a Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Quite a Wife

Charlene
This sixth book in Mary Jo Putney's "Lost Lords" series is different from the previous books as I recall. They all, of course, follow the men who were sent to a school for troubled boys in their childhood, who forged very strong bonds of friendship, loyalty and other virtues.

The author gives notes after the Epilogue which detail some factual events &/or social concerns of the time; these notes are short but helpful.

One thing, not included in the notes, that struck me about the heroine and
Ballerina60
as a big fan of mary jo, i'm saddened to report that i think this book is a real stinker. an assasin comes to your home to murder your husband - and since you're in the room, he'll murder you too. the assasin ends up dead by your husband's hand. so what do you do? why you LEAVE your husband because he's a "killer". she's a nitwit. sorry, mary jo!
Darlene
I wanted to like this more. I really did. Some of the author's books have a place of pride on my keeper shelf: One Perfect Rose, The Rake and the Reformer (original, not the remix), The Best Husband Money Can Buy.

This latest effort though didn't make the cut. I bought into the idea of the couple marrying too young, before they knew one each other well, but the heroine's actions at the end of the novel made me roll my eyes and want to toss it. Maybe it's just me, because other readers liked it.

Caz
I ended up giving this a C- at AAR (so 2.5 stars) - which killed me because - MJP! -but the book was a disappointment :(

This, the sixth book in Ms Putney’s Lost Lords series tells the story of a couple who have been estranged for over a decade. I’m a sucker for a good second-chance romance, so this book seemed as though it would be right up my alley – and while it did tick a few of my favourite boxes, there are some really big flaws that I found it impossible to ignore, and which kept pulling m
T.L. Haddix
I've read Ms. Putney's books for years and enjoyed them. Not this one. I was so aggravated by the heroine's self-righteous piousness about her husband having defended his life with lethal force that I wanted to reach into the book and slap her with a reality stick.

There's a very real difference in using lethal force and violence because you enjoy it and using it to defend your life or the lives of others. And the heroine's persistence that her husband was this vicious, vile man when he clearly
Cruth
My copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.

Author: Mary Jo Putney
First published: 2014
Length: 4040 locations
Setting: Bristol and London, ~1814.
Sex: Infrequent, reasonably explicit.
Hero: Master Spy.
Heroine: Sister to a friend, works as a nurse, runs a refuge for battered women.
Includes: Excerpt from Not Always a Saint.

I've recently read another book where the couple had a long separation before reconciling. Their marriage died a long death but they were adult and mat
Jacqueline
Jewel
Unfortunately I didn't feel it.

Laurel was annoying, I didn't care much for her or her reasoning.

Kirkland surprised me, a spymaster, capable of killing barehanded, yet did not try to keep his wife or fight for her, even ten years later it was circumstances and not their own wishes that brought them together.

And then the whole thing almost happened again.

I was also a bit annoyed at Daniel, Laurel's brother, he was supposed to be Kirkland's best friend, yet when his sister walked away he stopped be
Rashika (is tired)
This doesn't even begin to measure up to the other book I read by the author (The Rake) but it did make for some good brain candy and I did have fun!
Maldivianbookreviewer
Marry in haste, repent at leisure.

Not Quite a Wife by Mary Jo Putney is my first read from the author. Book 6 in The Lost Lords series, Not Quite a Wife’s title reminded me of Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas and I expected something similar to that when I requested for the title on Netgalley. And though the story didn’t deliver the exact sort of tale that I was expecting and I found myself a tad bit disappointed in the story, there were aspects to it that worked for me that kept the pag
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks
Jessi
Oh, man. I love Mary Jo Putney. I love the Lost Lords series. And this book... was just not up to the standard set by the previous five. It was really, really not at the same level. This was an ARC, and while the technical (proofreading) editing was fine, the story-line (line and substantive editing) really needed some work. Maybe some of this will be cleaned up before the book is put into print.
A lot of Putney's books start with some action, but this one starts with our hero falling ill, gettin
Serban Georgiana
Acest volum a fost cel mai anticipat ,pentru ca in sfarsit vom afla povestea de viata a lui James Kirkland.
Am tot auzit de el pe tot parcursul seriei,deoarece este capul unei agentii de spionaj.
Mi-au placut foarte mult volumele acestei serii,dar sunt dezamagita de acest volum.Acest James este total diferit de cel din volumele precedente.Este nesigur,ingaduitor,iar ceea ce nu mi-a placut deloc ,este faptul ca sotia lui este la fel de "slaba de inger".
Nici macar intriga nu este prea bine construit
Mariel Hoss
My copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.

I love Mary Jo Putney. I have love the Lost Lords series...so far...but this one just kind of felt flat for me. Laurel just came across as very naive and highly judgmental...yes, I get that they married young...but come on...what happened to talking it out? Trusting your love and yourself? And because Laurel kind of pissed me off, I lost the love for the tale. I kept wanting to smack her and James upside the head. I felt th
Linda
This was the least interesting in the series. I thought Laurel was blah and incredibly judgmental, I know Laurel and James married young but this was a time where there was a lot of violence and unrest.
It was a predictable book where you knew Laurel would have her own taste of violence to even the scales so to speak.

At least we get updates on some of the previous couples from the earlier books. Sadly, Lady Agnes doesn't make an appearance nor does Will McKenzie. Is he up next for his own book?

I
Shirley Taylor
I enjoyed it but it's far from Mary Jo Putney's best work. I didn't find Laurel's reasons for leaving compelling enough. Even if Kirkland's violence freaked her out a simple chat revealing that the man had indeed had a knife and been going to kill her husband probably would have sorted it out. Also, she works with battered women so it would be far more realistic if she at least felt the abusive men should experience what they meted out firsthand now and then. I get that Laurel is supposed to be ...more
Kate
What a profound disappointment. This book was both trite and woodenly written. The premise was beyond ludicrous, the "conflict" plot, wholly unnecessary, didn't start until about fifty pages were left, and there were random points of view that added absolutely nothing to the story but pages. The ending was rushed and felt glossed over and unresolved, not to mention being entirely unnecessary.

Really, though, what killed me was the fact that they're back together because Laurel has sex with Kirkla
Amy Alvis
This is book 6 in the Lost Lords series.

Married when they were quite young, Laurel Herbert and James Kirkland separated and have been living their own lives for the past 10 years. That is until James is brought into Laurel's infirmary one day. Having been beat up and in the midst of a fever, James thinks he is dreaming of being intimate with his wife. That is until a month later Laurel informs James that she is pregnant.

Having lost his wife once, James will do anything in his power to get his wi
Rhoda Clarkson
I enjoyed this book mainly because Mary Jo Putney once again tells a good story with engaging characters. This is the first of her books I have read in a long time and the first of the Lost Lord series.

One of the things I appreciated most about this book is that the main characters endured difficult and grievous situations and were not afraid or ashamed to admit belief in God, and yet this happened in such a way to not put the novel in the realm of an inspirational romance. The Methodist and Pr
ChuCha
Review Originally Posted at: Book Freak

PURCHASE IT ►►► AMAZON

The moment Kirkland heard Laurel play the piano, he just knew she was IT for him. It was a whirlwind courtship, and before they knew it, they were married. But an incident had caused these two love birds drift apart, and after ten years, fate had led them back together.

But ten years has been a long time. Both of them had separate lives already, Laurel was helping her brother Daniel in their house of refuge and infirmary. She had found
Cheryl
Pam
Laura left her husband ten years ago not because she didn't love him but because of something she saw. She never thought to see him again and has put to good use the money he gives her. She does everything she can to help others in need and has built a great place for those in need to go to. Now she crosses path with her husband and she has another passionate encounter with him that leaves her no other way than to talk to him. James has always loved Laura but he let her leave. Now he sees this a ...more
Gaele
My first encounter with this author or series, and I couldn’t wait to see if my expectations were met: it also feeds into my obsession with all things historical, and who doesn’t love a bit of trial and redemption?

James and Laurel were married young, she very sheltered and exceptionally pious, her upbringing even discounting the fact that she is female was vastly different from James’ early years, a key factor in their marital issues. James was a ‘difficult’ child, and was sent to what would tod
Patricia
More magic from Mary Jo Putney!
In "Not Quite a Wife," Mary Jo Putney once again delivers a love story with depth and complexity. Her heroine, Laurel, has an abundance of compassion - except for herself, and for the man she loves.
James Kirkland has been woven into the fabric of the Lost Lords novels, and it is a glorious wonder to see him finally "get the girl". Of course, given that Kirkland is a spymaster for a job, he is a very complex man.
And that complexity, his abilities and mental acuity
Natalie Hart
There was a lot that I really liked about this book. It was interesting to see the human, non-scheming side of the spymaster of the Lost Lords. I liked how deep the conflict went between the couple -- values-deep, not just personality. And I liked how the thing that drew Kirkland (who I'm fairly certain had actually been called a cold bastard at some point in the previous books) to Laurel was warmth: warmth and love and generosity were all over this book. I liked how this couple was so frank wit ...more
Tin
Sep 02, 2014 Tin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Disclosure: I received this book via Netgalley for the blog tour. Thank you to Mary Jo Putney and Kensington Books for the opportunity. Yes, this is an honest review.

I reflected on two words after I finished reading Not Quite a Wife, the latest instalment in Mary Jo Putney's Lost Lords series: estrangement and separation. The idea of "estrangement" is particularly curious, because of the idea that something familiar and known to someone suddenly becomes treated as a stranger and alien. The secon
eyes.2c
Oops! I guess it only takes once!

Interesting addition to the Lost Lords series. This time the story centres on Lord Kirkland and the wife (Laurel) that he has been estranged from for over ten years.
The others of the group have no idea that James Kirkland is married to the sister of another of Miss Agnes' boys.
So ten years on, Laurel unknowingly rescues her husband then proceeds to have conjugal relations with him whilst he's off his head with a fever. Upon his recovery she sends him on his way.
Melody May
Posted on What I'm Reading

So, I have been trying to sort through my thoughts. I guess I should start out with I fell in love with the cover. I absolutely love the cover and after reading the story I think that the art department did a fabulous job on the cover. So, we can all guess that I wanted to read this book, because the cover. I'm not ashamed to admit the truth. Okay I got that out of the way.

Okay, I usually struggle with reunited lovers. Here's why: normally they split cause one or both
Jaci
ARC REVIEW OF NOT QUITE A WIFE BY MARY JO PUTNEY

Mary Jo Putney writes intensely touching love stories that inspire her readers to feel emotionally attached to her story and her characters. James and Laurel married young, love at first sight and then tragedy seperates them. Years later he shows up beaten and sick at her infirmary and in his delirium he thinks she has come back and they make love. Laurel could never resist him. When his fever breaks and he wakes up he doesn't remember what happene
Shauni
Originally Reviewed For: Bodice Rippers, Femme Fatales and Fantasy

Not Quite a Wife is book six in author Mary Jo Putney's Lost Lords Series. It's a bit darker than the others I have read and in some ways less enjoyable. But it tells an excellent story of love and forgiveness. Of learning that while love doesn't always conquer all, it does help things along the way.

Laurel Herbert was the neglected daughter of perfectly ordinary family. Until her brother brought home his best friend Laurel discove
  • Only Enchanting (The Survivors' Club, #4)
  • The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane (Rhymes With Love, #4)
  • In Bed with a Rogue (Rival Rogues, #2)
  • The Accidental Countess (Playful Brides, #2)
  • The Earl's Mistress (MacLachlan Family & Friends, #10)
  • Loving Lord Ash (Duchess of Love, #3)
  • How the Scoundrel Seduces (The Duke's Men, #3)
  • The Accidental Duchess (Fairbourne Quartet, #4)
  • Once More, My Darling Rogue (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #2)
  • Wicked Temptation (Nemesis, Unlimited, #3)
  • What a Wallflower Wants (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #3)
  • The Virgin of Clan Sinclair (Clan Sinclair, #3)
  • The Duke's Guide to Correct Behavior (Dukes Behaving Badly, #1)
  • Loving Rose: The Redemption of Malcolm Sinclair (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #3)
  • The Secrets of a Scoundrel (The Inferno Club, #7)
  • The Danger in Tempting an Earl (At the Kingsborough Ball, #3)
  • Why Dukes Say I Do (Wicked Widows, #1)
  • How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days (An American Heiress in London, #2)
She writes young adult fiction as M.J. Putney.

Mary Jo Putney was born in Upstate New York with a reading addiction, a condition for which there is no known cure. After earning degrees in English Literature and Industrial Design at Syracuse University, she did various forms of design work in California and England before inertia took over in Baltimore, Maryland, where she has lived very comfortably
More about Mary Jo Putney...

The Lost Lords (7 books)
  • Loving a Lost Lord (Lost Lords #1)
  • Never Less Than a Lady (Lost Lords, #2)
  • Nowhere Near Respectable (Lost Lords, #3)
  • No Longer a Gentleman (Lost Lords, #4)
  • Sometimes a Rogue (Lost Lords, #5)
  • Not Always a Saint (The Lost Lords, #7)
The Rake Thunder & Roses (Fallen Angels #1) Loving a Lost Lord (Lost Lords #1) Never Less Than a Lady (Lost Lords, #2) The Bargain (Regency #1)

“The most we can ever do is our best," she said quietly. "If worry is interest paid on troubles we haven't had yet, guilt is pain wasted on what can't be changed."

"Please remind me of that regularly. I need to hear it.”
1 likes