The Self-Publishing Manual

The Self-Publishing Manual

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Book by Poynter, Dan
Paperback, Large Print, 436 pages
Published November 1st 2004 by Para Publishing (first published July 28th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Self-Publishing Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Self-Publishing Manual

David Katzman
Jun 26, 2010 David Katzman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: authors frustrated with finding a publisher
Shelves: about-publishing
Publishing is a tough game. Little money, overwhelming competition, and no control. For an author who wants to take back control of her own destiny, the Self-Publishing Manual is the bible.

I used Dan Poynter’s 12th Edition as my guide in 2000 when I published Death by Zamboni , and it helped me to achieve a reasonable degree of success. Cult success, perhaps, but success that gives me pride. At the time, I even neglected to follow his recommendations for landing reviews (a mistake I won’t make w...more
Jeanette
Okay, I didn't read the whole book. I read eight chapters of a total of eleven. I skimmed the rest because I just wasn't as interested in the topics covered in those chapters. The topics I read about was everything from the idea for a book to actually creating a book and up to promoting said book.

There is so much detail in Dan Poynter's guide that I believe it is a must-have resource for writers that want options to sending in query after query to established publishers who just don't see the va...more
Elaine
I like the book very much, but really liked the movie much better. Of course, the movie wouldn't be made without this novel, and there was some backstory that wasn't in the movie that I enjoyed. But I thought the movie was more interesting, tighter, and more exciting. It wasn't that I saw the movie before reading the book that pushed me to like the book better. It's just that it was more fun to have Grigg being an unassuming wealthy man, making it big in hi tech, setting up his home as a haunted...more
David Goodberg
Simply amazing books. It probably helps if you are writing a book. I read an earlier edition 3 years ago and recently finished this nwe edition. Jam packed with vital information.
Linda Wattley
This book is very informative and reader friendly. It really gave me a good look at what I must do to self-publish. I would reccommend it to anyone hoping to self=publish
Ebony
The beauty of books is realizing all the things you don’t know. Today I learned that I didn’t know anything about self-publishing. Actually, I never even thought to search for books on self-publishing because I assumed the technological world moved so fast, I would be best served by websites. My hunch is that this is still mostly true, but Dan Poynter’s Self Publishing Manual was published in 2006 and is still insanely useful. For one, it’s a history lesson in publishing—not intentionally, but w...more
Kathrynn
Good information!

Since there isn't much information about the book, here's the table of contents:

1. Your publishing options:Why you should consider self-publishing

2. Writing your book: Generating salable material

3. Starting your own publishing company: Basics for taking the plunge

4. Producing your book: Designing books, typesetting, layout, book printing materials, the printing process

5. Announcing your book: Telling the book world you're a publisher and an author

6. What is your book worth? Pric...more
Cynthia Haggard
March 21: Dan Poynter’s THE SELF-PUBLISHING MANUAL.

I was going to write about something else today, but I’ve just finished reading Dan Poynter’s THE SELF-PUBLISHING MANUAL, and I think this is such an important book for an aspiring writer, that I’ve decided to share my observations.

The history of publishing in the last 100 years, has been one of increasing difficulty for writers. (And I’m not even mentioning the insultingly low royalties that writers are expected to put up with! ) Up to the 1980...more
Tom Barnes

Dan Poynter’s Self Publishing Manual is what the title implies – and a whole lot more. The book is also a marketing guide and goes a long way in the public relations area.
During the course of reading the book I jotted down a dozen or more subject notes and I’ll share some of them with you.
Poynter talks about reviews, testimonials and how your web site is at the heart of your promotional campaign. The section on news releases gives you an example of their format and how to tailor the release to y...more
Dirk Vanderwilt
May 06, 2008 Dirk Vanderwilt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: authors, publishers
I can't say enough great things about this book. It is simply the best guide for getting into the book publishing business. Though the book touts "self-publishing", the techniques it offers really work for all kinds of small publishers, whether you publish your own material or someone else's. It is easy to read, well organized, and thoughtful.

In a step-by-step way, author Dan Poynter shows new publishers everything from forming a publishing business to printing and binding to marketing and distr...more
Ryan Petty
This book has been the true bible of the self-publishing industry through its many editions. I've read several of them myself at five or six year intervals. I still recommend it frequently and fervently but have begun to add this caveat: that before you do anything by way of self-publishing, you need to read something more current. The world changed with the birth of the Kindle, linking an e-reader to the world's biggest bookstore (Amazon) in 2009, and its been changing at an accelerated rate ev...more
Richard Wise
Excellent critique of the modern publishing industry. Excellent how to and incudes a step by step guide. Follow it religiously
Joni
Jul 05, 2012 Joni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
A great how-to manual. With all self-publishing books, you MUST have a clear idea of what your end product will be, how you want to market your book, where you want you book to appear, etc. before you begin your journey. If you only need some books for your immediate family, thats one way. Want to see your book in bookstores all over Europe? Completely different path. Dan as usual does well to communicate all the options, and its overwhelming.

My best advice? Know where you're going and concentra...more
Lauri Gruber
this is book is geared more toward non-fiction.
Kenny
Oct 14, 2007 Kenny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in self-publishing
Shelves: writing-craft
Quite literally, the bible of self-publishing. Dan covers everything in solid detail except writing the manuscript (which is up to you!). I used this book to publish my first novel I Hated Heaven and have continued using it in the decade since as I continue to self-publish. I speak to dozens of writers' groups a year and always encourage them to read Poynter's book. Even if you're being published by someone else, you need to know what's in this book!
Susan Sylvia
Jul 14, 2012 Susan Sylvia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to publish their book
One of the first books I recommend that my publishing clients buy for their publishing resource library. It's a great step-by-step guide to the process and business of publishing. If you're serious about publishing the right way, check it out, then BUY it! You'll want to keep it handy so you can refer to it often. Dan updates this classic regularly.

Susan Sylvia – Book Designer/Publishing Mentor
Jesse Haubert
I wish there was a publishing book that was geared towards fiction writers. Not that I expect that to happen because they are non-fiction books so they should be written by non-fiction writers.

Anyway this book had some interesting information in at but it kind of drags things out to take longer then needed, and it repeats some things. It also focuses more on marketing then the actual publishing process.
Beth Barnett
Jun 13, 2007 Beth Barnett rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: self-publishers
Useful for getting started with self-publishing, but really, actually doing all the emailing, calling, inquiring, and figuring of quotes is what one needs to understand the process. This provides some basics so you don't feel like a total novice and have a reference from which to start, like sample quote requests, basic advice, lists of different book printers, etc.
Karey
This book is the best book I've found on the ins and outs of self-publishing, and it's in it's 19 or 20th edition, which says something! Dan Poynter, who wrote it, stays on top of the industry and sends out a regular newsletter that comes to your inbox. It's one of the most valuable newsletters I get. That's one I always open.
kaitlyn
It's a pretty good introduction to the subject. I don't think it is very well designed, and Poynter keeps telling me to look at his book for great examples. I just don't think they are that great. But I bought the book, so I guess it worked well enough... Plus, some of his ideas seem a little sketchy to me.
Bill Jelen
This is the one book to have if you are interested in writing a book. Dan is the publishing guru. Whether you hope to self-publish, go Print on Demand, or go with a traditional publisher, you need to read what Dan has to say. The section on marketing is a must-read for all authors.
Victor McGuire
I read this book to learn more about how to publish my own book. I went to a seminar at Dans home in Santa Barbara and obtained some wonderful tools that proved to be helpful in publishing my book All Systems Go. This book is one of the best in the business.
E. Chris
I probably would have appreciated this book more if I hadn't spent the last 2+ years working as a publisher. The information is good for anyone just getting into self-publishing, but it was a little to cheesy and evangelical for my taste.
Timothy L.
If you want to self-publish this is "the bible." Dan is informational on many levels. Though his was not into the POD thing at this point, many of the details he gives in this book will help you get into print.
Beatrice McClearn
This became my bible as I began marketing and publishing Diaries of an Emotional Prostitue. Anyone looking for a quick guide to learning the craft of publishing should read this book before seeking others.
Kathie
Great book for those planning to write and publish a book - fantastic hints and tips and worth the read. A book you can skim through for the bits you want as you progress through your own writing.
Bill Frank
Sep 27, 2008 Bill Frank rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: authors, publishers, self-publishers
The essential book on self-publishing. Full of valuable information. Anyone involved in publishing, self- or traditional, would benefit from reading the Self-Publishing Manual.
Emmanuel Donkor

This book is responsible for lunching my publishing career. Dan is a veteran in the industry and so it vitally important that we have him as a reference. Good book on the topic.
Charles Franklin
This book completely opened my eyes to self-publishing. I now have more humble respect for the things authors must go through to get their works published, marketed, and sold!
Adrienna
This book has some good samples of invoice orders, press releases, and news releases. Some other good tips for self publishing, took notes, and will keep them on hand.
Self Publishing 1 6 Apr 30, 2012 09:38AM
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published: How to Write It, Sell It, and Market It . . . Successfully
  • Writing for Emotional Impact: Advanced Dramatic Techniques to Attract, Engage, and Fascinate the Reader from Beginning to End
  • Write That Book Already!: The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now
  • How to Write a Damn Good Novel: A Step-by-Step No Nonsense Guide to Dramatic Storytelling
  • The Scene Book: A Primer for the Fiction Writer
  • Indie Publishing: How to Design and Publish Your Own Book
  • Dynamic Characters: How to Create Personalities That Keep Readers Captivated
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • Dom Scripting: Web Design with JavaScript and the Document Object Model
  • Your First Novel: A Published Author and a Top Agent Share the Keys to Achieving Your Dream
  • Line by Line: How to Edit Your Own Writing
  • Search Engine Optimization: An Hour a Day
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • Scene and Structure (Elements of Fiction Writing)
Since 1969, Dan Poynter has written and published more than 100 books including Writing Nonfiction, The Self-Publishing Manual, and The Skydiver's Handbook.

Dan Poynter's seminars have been featured on CNN, his books have been pictured in The Wall Street Journal, and his story has been told in U.S. News & World Report. The media comes to Dan because he is the leading authority on book publishin...more
More about Dan Poynter...
Writing Non-fiction: Turning Thoughts into Books Self-Publishing Manual, Volume II: How to Write, Print, and Sell Your Own Book Employing the Latest Technologies and the Newest Techniques Sell Your Book on Amazon: Top Secret Tips Guaranteed to Increase Sales for Print-On-Demand and Self-Publishing Writers Parachuting: The Skydiver's Handbook The Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 1