Start by marking “Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips” as Want to Read:
Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips

Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips (Journeys of a Lifetime)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,761 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
No one knows the world like National Geographic—and in this lavish volume, we reveal our picks for the world's most fabulous journeys, along with helpful information for readers who want to try them out.

Compiled from the favorite trips of National Geographic's travel writers, Journeys of a Lifetime spans the globe to highlight the best of the world's most famous and lesse
Published October 16th 2007 by National Geographic

To ask other readers questions about Journeys of a Lifetime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journeys of a Lifetime

The Incredible Journey by Sheila BurnfordDesert Flower by Waris DirieBreaking Night by Liz MurrayRadio Shangri-La by Lisa NapoliJourneys of a Lifetime by National Geographic Society
Journey On - Titles
5th out of 132 books — 9 voters
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die by Stephen Farthing1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up by Julia Eccleshare1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay SchneiderWIN THE HEART OF A WOMAN OF YOUR DREAMS by Sahara Sanders
A List of Lists
42nd out of 247 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Liane
Aug 03, 2011 Liane rated it it was amazing
Awesome Book. There is a trip for everyone, every bucket list, anyone who wants to travel. Hike the San Juan Skyway, Scotland Highlands, Tour du Mont Blanc in the Alps, Dolomites of Italy, Trans Canada Trail, The Tyrol in Austria, John Muir Trail.... OR.....take the Inland Railway across Sweden, Sea Kayak off Baja, Slow Food in Tuscany, Cross Country Ski Vermont's Catamount Trail, Surf School in Hawaii. The best thing about the book is it lists "When to Go, How Long it takes, Planning, Inside In ...more
Allison
Jan 21, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
It's a really lovely coffee table sized book full of the little blurbs & gorgeous photos that I connect with anything by National Geographic. I like the organization of it - with the colored tabs on the sides - as well as the chosen categories. Definitely trips for everyone. A great starting point for a "must travel" list.
LINDA
Jun 23, 2008 LINDA rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book with the perfect balance of written information and photos!

The journeys that appeal to me the most are on the following pages 54 The Lower Zambeizi River, 55 The Mangoky River, 73 Crossing the Andes from Bolivia to Chile, 81 The West Coast Road of New Zealand, 145 Utah/Arizonia Paria Canyon, 151 the Inca Trail, 199 Amish Country, 280 Dogsledding in Alaska, 281 Polar Bears in Canada, 294 Sea kayaking off Baja, 295Teh Belize barrier Reef, 333 Hawaii Helicoptor tour of Darden isle o
Janet
Jan 29, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
A wonderful book to dream with--of where you've been and where you'd like to go. Amazingly I have been on many of the domestic trips described. Hopefully I wil be fortunate enough to spend the next 40 years visiting and experiencing some of the international places and adventures. I'll try to remember to return to this book to make plans--it's nicely organized by journeys across water, by road, by rail, on foot, in search of culture,in gourmet heaven, into the action, up and away and in their fo ...more
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Sep 20, 2010 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: armchair travelers
Recommended to Dee Renee by: Elaine Holmes
Shelves: 2010
Before reading this book I would have never imagined there is The Great Pub Crawl in Australia where the designated driver is the pilot who flies you from pub to pub. It sounded like great fun. This is perfect gift for an armchair traveler or for the person in charge of vacation itineraries. Websites are given for each trip for more research.
Grace
May 07, 2015 Grace rated it it was amazing
I love, love, LOVE this book. I've had it for years, and it's as fun to read on any rainy day as it is to read when planning a trip. I'm constantly dog-earing another page to add to my list of travel destinations. Half the fun is looking at the photographs, collected over the years by Nat Geo's finest. The format, divided into modes of travel (By Train, On Foot) makes what could be a very overwhelming coffee table book accessible. The Top 10 lists are also great fun (Where else would you find a ...more
Aimee
Dec 18, 2008 Aimee rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
Wonder if the publishers considered such alternate titles like, "Oh, The Places You'll Never Go" or "Dare to Dream".
Lauren Fynboe
Jan 01, 2015 Lauren Fynboe marked it as to-read
Shelves: reference
National Geographic Society. (2007). Journeys of a lifetime: 500 of the world's greatest trips. Monterey, CA: National Geographic.

Citation by: Lauren Fynboe

Reference Type: Geographical Reference

Call Number:

Description: Content Scope-This visual display spans the globe to highlight the 500 best places to travel. Some places are metropolitan and are well-known to most; however, some places are more remote and the information presented is enlightening to these lesser-known regions. Accuracy, Autho
Francine
Feb 02, 2015 Francine rated it it was amazing
I read this when it was newly published. The photographs are outstanding---it's National Geographic, after all.

This is a great book to reflect on during cold weather months...take yourself on a visual journey.

This book has inspired country-themed parties; I've used it to inspire a culinary themed dinner at least twice.

Highly Recommended.
Sara W.
May 18, 2016 Sara W. rated it really liked it
Reading is book is like traveling around the world. I love this book since it introduces places that are very beautiful and nice to visit. Also it includes here some bridges, highways and rides that you can just see it beautiful and great to stay for a while. I love also the pictures included here. Such an overwhelmed to read.
Sruthi Raju
Jun 17, 2015 Sruthi Raju rated it it was amazing
I went through the whole book.. but i think i will always be going back and looking through this before every trip/vacation of mine

Its categorized so differently and it makes it more interesting and has all these new way to explore a place...

So in love with it...
Suyash Sengar
Aug 04, 2014 Suyash Sengar rated it it was amazing
It was a special gift from a special someone.
For a person with wanderlust,its an absolute must to have.
Excellent location picks,breathtaking images,wonderful account,Nat Geo special tips : the book is a paradise.
Kathy
May 17, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
Love the color photos. A great book that feeds my wanderlust until I can take my next trip. Very inspiring.
sislasus
Mar 01, 2014 sislasus rated it it was ok
Would have liked it better if it had fewer places and more pictures.
Katie Topp
Dec 28, 2015 Katie Topp rated it it was amazing
I inhaled this. Something to day dream though, for days.
Molly
Apr 08, 2008 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Unless you are extremely lucky, extremely rich, or both, this book is a way to vicariously see places you are not likely to visit in person. It's National Geographic, so, of course the pictures are awesome. I was pleasantly surprised that I had visited some of the places mentioned, but not shocked to find that many I'd never heard of! There are minimal travel details included for each journey, but if you actually intend to take one of the trips a more in depth guide would be essential.
Oct 30, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
An excellent "coffee table book". There is a trip in here for everyone who wants to travel local and internationally; by boat, plane, or foot; adventure-themed or food-themed. Very fun. The only thing I wish they could have done was given more detailed information about each trip. Logically I know that book would be 3x the size as this one, and this book is not light already-but that is what I thought was missing, more detail.
Brian Badonde
Sep 28, 2012 Brian Badonde rated it it was amazing
I love to travel and I think this book is fantastic! Browsing through this beautiful book, I had to add several travel destinations to my list of places I someday want to visit. If you want some great vacation ideas, from US to exotic oversees destinations, this book will provide many. Paging through the book is also an educational opportunity to discover a bit more about places around the world.
Carole
Feb 05, 2008 Carole rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful "coffee table book" full of ideas about places to go and things to do around the world. It's only drawback was also it's highpoint, that it didn't go into too much depth about each location. It was visually attractive as each page was one locale. For people who like to travel, or wish they could, it was a great way to get ideas about where to go and what to do.
Ron
Aug 24, 2013 Ron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history-travel
WOW, WOW & WOW!!!
If this book doesn't wake up the travel and adventure bug in you... nothing will.
So many great trips, so little time.
Nicely split up into chapters.. by water, by road, by rail & by foot. Even has the best elevator trips.
A much better book than "1,000 places to see before you die".
E. Ce Miller
Mar 16, 2013 E. Ce Miller rated it it was amazing
This is a great coffee table book--I often will flip through it in a spare moment here and there...it's like taking a mini-vacation. It's also great in assisting with off-beat trip planning. This is definitely a book for travelers, not tourists.
Kmccart
Mar 18, 2010 Kmccart rated it it was amazing
Even when I can't travel physically, I can take "mind trips" with this fabulous book by Nat Geo. Of course, the photos are gorgeous, and it's great fun to say, "I've been there!" or "That's on my list!" when flipping through the pages.
Nicole
Jun 09, 2013 Nicole added it
Bought this one 6-7 years ago, when I started getting curious about what a meaningful trip would be for me. Interesting browsing now and then. Still discovering what that 'perfect trip' would be...or if it's even my thing...
Elaine
Jan 07, 2009 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people interested in travel
Recommended to Elaine by: Amazon?
Great Book. I've got this and the rest of my travel library right behind me now. I can look things up anytime. It's all about dreaming and thinking about where I want to go next and how I can do it.
Danny
Jun 12, 2010 Danny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
This is a really great coffee table to browse when you have nothing to do - especially for travel ideas. Great photography and interesting write-ups.
I have not read every page word for word.
Ellie  Dynek
Oct 28, 2015 Ellie Dynek rated it it was amazing
An eclectic and fascinating collection of journey that can make someone's life an enriching experience and provide them with adventures and memories to remember for years to come.
Pam
Oct 06, 2010 Pam rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, full of inspirational ideas for trips. Great photography, as always for NG. I will buy this book, just to flip through & dream.
Tim
Nov 29, 2013 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: coffee-table, travel
not the best of the series - some of the "journeys" cross entire continents, i.e. impossible, but a nice mental vacation on a cold evening.
AnaΣtaΣia
Jun 06, 2011 AnaΣtaΣia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: greek, bkcs
If you adore travelling, even if sometimes it is only through imagination, you have to buy these two volumes of travel art!!
April
May 19, 2014 April rated it it was amazing
There were so many trips that I didn't know existed until I read this book; now I have so many more trips to take.
  • Make the Most of Your Time on Earth
  • Where To Go When (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Off the Tourist Trail: 1,000 Unexpected Travel Alternatives
  • 1000 Ultimate Experiences
  • The Practical Nomad: How to Travel Around the World
  • Most Scenic Drives in America
  • The Road Less Travelled: 1,000 Amazing Places off the Tourist Trail
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • 1001 Escapes to Experience Before You Die
  • The National Parks: America's Best Idea

Journeys of a Lifetime (5 books)
  • Food Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 Extraordinary Places to Eat Around the Globe
  • Drives of a Lifetime: Where to Go, Why to Go, When to Go
  • Secret journeys of a lifetime : 500 of the world's best hidden travel gems
  • Sacred Places of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Most Peaceful and Powerful Destinations