Start by marking “Mary Fran and Matthew (MacGregors, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Mary Fran and Matthew (MacGregors, #1.5)

Mary Fran and Matthew (MacGregors #1.5)

Fabulous Victorian romance novella by New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Grace Burrowes. In The Bridegroom Wore Plaid three of the MacGregor brothers found true love, while the story of how their sister Lady Mary Frances meets her match in Matthew Daniels needs a novella all its own.

Widowed Mary Frances MacGregor has vowed she’ll never succumb to manipulation
Published July 2nd 2013 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

Lady Wesley
Jun 13, 2013 Lady Wesley rated it liked it
Shelves: amz-rev
Colonel Matthew Daniels, heir to the baronies of Altsax and Gribbony, has accompanied his father, sisters, aunt and cousin to Castle Balfour in Aberdeenshire, where they are guests of the Earl of Balfour and his family. The purpose of the trip is to arrange a marriage between the cash-strapped earl and Matthew's heiress sister. That's the main plot in The Bridegroom Wore Plaid, the first installment of the MacGregor Trilogy. From that book, we already know that Matthew and Mary Fran fall in love ...more
Caz
I gave this a B for content and A- for narration at AudioGals, so I'm calling it 4.5 stars.

This audio novella is quite short, coming in at around the two-and-a-half hour mark, but even so, the story is replete with the emotional punch I’ve come to expect from author Grace Burrowes.

The events of Mary Fran and Matthew run concurrently with those in The Bridegroom Wore Plaid, the first of Ms. Burrowes’ novels set in Victorian Scotland which features the MacGregors of Balfour. Lady Mary Frances Mac
MRB
Jun 04, 2014 MRB rated it it was amazing
I'm not someone who automatically loves everything and anything written by Grace Burrowes---or by any author, in fact :) I really adored this novella beyond the telling of it, though, and felt it managed to highlight all of Burrowes' greatest strengths while eliminating the aspects of her full-length novels that elicit an impatient sigh or two ;)

While I understand that many don't like the novella format, I find the well-written ones ideal reading for me: They give us just enough characterizatio
Angie
Jan 27, 2015 Angie rated it it was ok
Sadly, Mary Fran and Matthew was one of those novellas that I feel was a bit of a waste. It read more like a collection of deleted scenes rather than as its own short story. It spans the entire time frame of The Bridegroom Wore Plaid, but shoved into a quarter of the pages. I did want to see how Matthew and Mary Frances ended up together, since they were one of the "extra" couples in the first book, and this does show all of that, but it didn't flow well. It just jumped from scene to scene of th ...more
Cruth
Nov 06, 2013 Cruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Mary Fran and Matthew - Grace Burrowes

Author: Grace Burrowes
First published: 2013
Length: 1157 locations (novella - 4 chapters)
Setting: Scotland, in the time of Queen Victoria
Sex: intimate
Hero: ex-soldier with a murky past.
Heroine: widow with child.
Series: Book 1.5 of 3 (for now)

Starts with Matthew meeting Mary Fran at beginning of Book 1, The Bridegroom Wore Plaid. And follows the story of Book 1, but from the pov of Mary Fran and Matthew's HEA.

As a light novella interlude, it works. It's a swee
My Book Addiction and More MBA
MARY FRAN AND MATTHEW by Grace Burrowes is a delightful Scottish Victorian Historical Romance. A Novella. #1.5 in the "MacGregor" Trilogy. And features the MacGregor's sister, Lady Mary Frances MacGregor Flinn, a Scottish widow who hates the English military and Matthew Daniels,an English Colonel who is reported to left the military in disgrace,and who is also part Scottish. A quick read! Faced paced and ties up some lose ends from "The Bridegroom Wore Plaid". A very intense but sweet story fill ...more
Robin
Dec 23, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
Shelves: historical-rom
Mary Frances MacGregor Flynn is not an easy character to cozy up to; therefore, it was hard to emotionally connect to laid back and not fully fleshed out as a character Matthew cozying up to her so quickly in a quick handful of scenes. Several parts of this novella were repetitive since the action in this novella is happening within Bridegroom Wore Plaid, but the parts with Matthew and Mary Fran are not developed enough. The story behind Matthew leaving the army seemed artificially melodramatic. ...more
L.A. Miller
Sep 30, 2013 L.A. Miller rated it liked it
As a writer I love Ms. Burrowes work and usually will rate a book five stars. The reason I only gave this book three stars is because I felt rushed. While I understand this book is a novella to bridge the gap between her first and third book in the series I was disappointed. Both Mary Fran and Matthew are wonderful characters that I believe would have been better served with a full novel. I felt like I was getting a readers digest version of an original novel and to many pieces were edited out. ...more
Betty
Jun 24, 2013 Betty rated it it was amazing
Once again Grace Burrowes has introduced us to wonderful characters and a great story line. Matthew Daniels has accompanied his family to the home of Lady Mary Francis and her family. Matthew's father is trying to arrange a marriage between his daughter and Mary Fran's brother, Ian. That doesn't seem to be working, however, Ian does find and bride.... and so does Matthew.
This is an easy read and for me another "Grace Burrowes" book that I couldn't put down until I had finished it.
Katie B-K
Jun 09, 2015 Katie B-K rated it it was ok
This is pretty much everything I don't like about novellas - Matthew's background story made no sense and should have been fleshed out, the combination of this book and the two surrounding it make Mary Fran seem like a terrible parent, and there's an exceptionally flimsy central conflict as a result.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Matthew and Mary Fran met and fell in love when and his family came to the MacGregor home. They both have had a difficult life and find they have loneliness in common. They share their pasts; his family and military stint, and her previous marriage and daughter. An intense but short story. Good read!!
LaToya Davidson-Perez
Jul 28, 2013 LaToya Davidson-Perez rated it it was amazing
This is a great companion piece to "The Bridegroom Wore Plaid" and is yet another solid showing for Grace Burrowes. This novella was a quick read with great pacing. Historical romance is done concisely right with this book. Grace continues to be my favorite current author as she skillfully comes up with great characters, stories and families. Definitely worth the read!
Kimia Safavi
Jan 27, 2014 Kimia Safavi rated it it was amazing
Sweet Story
Mary Fran and Matthew is a sweet novella by Mrs. Grace Burrowes. Matthew is a considerate and kind Englishman Hero, Mary Fran is a hot temper lovely Scot lady. Totally different characters but perfect match.It is a quick and lovely read.
Thank Mrs. Grace Burrowes
Leslye
Aug 09, 2013 Leslye rated it liked it
The rest of the story. This fills in the gaps from Book 1 in the series. It doesn't work on its own as a novella if you haven't read Book 1 and it reads as just a collection of outtakes. But if you wanted more of Matthew & Mary Fran, it's great.
Maria
Aug 13, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing
The story of the second (of 4 couples!) from Burrowes' The Bridegroom Wore Plaid. Two lonely souls find love in the Scottish Highlands, despite scandalous pasts and family obligations. For my full review of this lovely novella: http://bit.ly/14BcbCd
Kid Disaster
Dec 08, 2015 Kid Disaster rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, romance
short little insights on the MacGregor book that came before this one. doesn't make a load of sense if you haven't read the previous book. it wasn't anything special, but a nice little commute time read.
Kathy
Aug 13, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gift-from-author
Novellas are not my favorite but Ms Burrowes does and excellent job of finding story, background and an true love in this short peace. I really enjoyed in and loved Mary Fran and Matthew. A very good read.
Barbara
Jul 09, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
Nice novella to let us know how Mary Fran and Matthew found their happiness. Enjoyed the "secret" behind Matthew's disgrace and how their story was done against the backdrop of Ian's story. Would love to read Asher's book.
Kbee
Even if this was a short story I did like it...Though it was quite hard to follow.This was not an fun easy nor fast read for me. I had never read a book from Grace Burrowes and found that I don't particularly like this style of writing. I have 2 more to read maybe I'll get use to them...
Carla
Sep 25, 2015 Carla rated it liked it
I liked this romance about two souls isolated as a result of their past choices. Light and sweet, it's a nice escape read.
Jillian
I really enjoyed this novella. There were some scenes that showed the emotional connection between the two MC's. It fit nicely into the series. A job well written!
Rhonda K
May 17, 2014 Rhonda K rated it really liked it
Shelves: scottish
Understandably rushed but allows reader a better look at these two great characters and more time spent with this fun family. Glad I read it.
Gail
Nov 14, 2014 Gail rated it really liked it
The story takes place in and around one of Burrowes's McGregor novels. It's far too short for me but as a novella, it's quite lovely.
Stella
Jul 26, 2015 Stella rated it it was ok
Shelves: single-mother
It was nice to catch up with Mary Fran and Matthew, but nothing much happened in the plot department.
Beth Johnson
Jan 28, 2014 Beth Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, hea
This was just a fast novella to get one of the side plots from "The Bridegroom Wore Plaid". Delightful and simple.
Scheri
Scheri rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Zoe
Zoe rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Ampr
Ampr rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Lynn Calvin
Lynn Calvin rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Danette DeHay
Danette DeHay rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 01:12PM
  • How to School Your Scoundrel (A Princess In Hiding, #3)
  • How to Marry a Highlander (Falcon Club, #3.5)
  • The Scottish Witch (The Chattan Curse, #2)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • Lord Stillwell's Excellent Engagements (Millworth Manor, #1.5)
  • Scotsman of My Dreams (MacIain, #2)
  • Her Every Wish (The Worth Saga #1.5)
  • Once a Rake (Drakes Rakes, #4)
  • When the Marquess Met His Match (An American Heiress in London, #1)
  • One Hot Scot (Scandalous Highlanders, #0.5)
  • Smuggler's Moon (Rakes & Rebels: The Raveneau Family Book 2)
  • The Parfit Knight (Rockliffe, #1)
  • A Certain Magic
  • Lord of Secrets
  • Sweet Madness (Veiled Seduction, #3)
  • Highland Rake (The Highlanders, #3)
  • Sins of a Wicked Princess (Sinners Trio, #3)
  • The Earl's Mistress (MacLachlan Family & Friends, #10)
Grace Burrowes started writing as an antidote to empty nest and soon found it an antidote to life in general. She is the sixth out of seven children, raised in the rural surrounds of central Pennsylvania. Early in life she spent a lot of time reading romance novels and practicing the piano. Her first career was as a technical writer and editor in the Washington, DC, area, a busy job that nonethele ...more
More about Grace Burrowes...

MacGregors (4 books)
  • The Bridegroom Wore Plaid (MacGregors, #1)
  • Once Upon a Tartan (MacGregors, #2)
  • The MacGregor's Lady (MacGregors, #3)
  • What a Lady Needs for Christmas (MacGregors, #4)