Start by marking “Without Consent (Helen West, #6)” as Want to Read:
Without Consent (Helen West, #6)

Without Consent (Helen West #6)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Frances Fyfield's writing has been called "brilliant" (The Cleveland Plain Dealer), "elegant and unnerving" (The New York Times Book Review), and "splendidly accomplished" (Chicago Tribune). Now, in this stylish mystery she hones her powers of writerly suspense and keen characterization to a new edge.No-nonsense attorney Helen West possesses a rare combination of jaded pra ...more
Paperback
Published September 1st 1998 by Penguin Books (first published April 7th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Without Consent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Consent

Carol
Aug 09, 2011 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Minette Walter, Val McDermid, British crime novels
Shelves: fiction
I've had Without Consent by Frances Fyfield on my book shelf for years. It was recommended to me but I can't remember where. It could have been in the Mystery Reader's Journal or possibly Foreward Magazine. All I can remember is I thought, "oh, this sounds good", and I promptly ordered two books by the author and then put them on the shelf for someday. The someday arrived.

Without Consent is about rape. Rape, the definition, rape as seen from many angles and many perspectives. I don't think you c
Kirsten
Disappointingly and unfortunately, the last of the Helen West mysteries. I always enjoy these, but this one is especially good.

This one revolves around rape (that is not recognized as such) and false identification. But more than anything it is a character driven novel as all of hers are. What makes these so goods is the complicated characters. Even the villains are complicated.

I highly recommend this series to fans of Prime Suspect (with Helen Mirren).
GIZMO
awful...makes no sense at all...gave up halfway
Jeanie
I felt that there wasn't much depth to the story or the characters. I don't know if it was because it was so short or for other reasons. There were flashes of great writing & I will try to find another novel by the author. I was just a little disappointed with this one.
Bill Kupersmith
At the U. library I found a number of Fyfield's books from the 1990s published in America in attractive hardbound editions. So I reckon I owe the editorial ladies who do lunch an apology; they apparently gave Frances Fyfield an audience here and not enough of us Yanks appreciated them. Too bad; she is the best.

But I didn't find this story featuring Helen West terribly compelling and her policeman boyfriend a bit crude. The villain, however, is kinky as all get out, but we really need a lot more
Gloria
Picked up while in Tacoma.

Not a pretty subject, rape. But I have to say that this exposition on the subject in the form of a well written murder mystery was quite extraordinary. Never had heard of Frances Fayles but I am in awe both of the writing and the two characters Bailey and West that she draws out. And I really appreciated the legal detail of it all.

"The best level of success in the case of a rape case was the victim being believed; and then believed to the extent that there was no room
Karen M
I just love the author's characters. This book moved along so smoothly and just when you thought you knew what was happening, you're only partly right! But this is what a good mystery should be like.
Sharon
Well written, although I did have some trouble following who was speaking or doing what-- and it was a gritty and graphic story of rape/ Not sure I'd want to read another of her books.
Eliza
good suspense, but the character of Helen the lady-lawyer seemed a little bit of a cliche.
Lisa Greer
Eh, not so good. Too caught up in legalize.
Amélie Rêverie
Aug 28, 2012 Amélie Rêverie marked it as to-read
6in series
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Sabrina The Book Lover
Sabrina The Book Lover marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
John Carlier
John Carlier marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Aka Frances Hegarty.

Frances Fyfield is a criminal lawyer, who lives in London and in Deal, by the sea which is her passion. She has won several awards, including the CWA Silver Dagger.
More about Frances Fyfield...

Helen West (6 books)
  • A Question of Guilt (Helen West, #1)
  • Not That Kind of Place (Helen West, #2)
  • Deep Sleep (Helen West, #3)
  • Shadow Play (Helen West, #4)
  • A Clear Conscience (Helen West, #5)
Undercurrents Perfectly Pure and Good (Sarah Fortune, #2) Blind Date Blood From Stone Shadow Play (Helen West, #4)