Start by marking “Snow Fence Road” as Want to Read:
Snow Fence Road

Snow Fence Road

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A village on the coast of Maine holds painful secrets—
the kind only the miracle of new love can heal.

Tormented by her fiancé’s death, Tess Johansen escapes to the only place that can still comfort her—the Spinnaker Inn in coastal Maine. Here in this place by the sea she feels close enough to the man she lost to numb the pain, if not the guilt.

For local craftsman, Evan Mars
Paperback, Also published as ebook, 166 pages
Published June 15th 2013 by Black Lyon Publishing (first published June 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Snow Fence Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow Fence Road

Ruthz S.B.
From cover to cover this book will have you turning the pages as quickly as possible. Set in Spinnaker Inn, Maine - Tess Johansen is trying hard to recover from the pain of lost one. Evan on the other hand has a more chaotic past to deal with apart from the grief of his loss. From friendship to love, this is a fantastic journey all over again. After reading 'with thine own eyes' i was surprised to find such a wonderful romantic book from the same author.

I really enjoyed this book and could reall
Barbara Ann
“You have to believe what your heart loves, what it wants. As hard as you can, with everything you’ve got. That’s the way love comes into the world.”
-Andy Hollinger from Snow Fence Road

If you are looking for a touching romance novel to curl up with by a roaring fire during the winter holidays, then consider Snow Fence Road, a beautifully written, poignant love story about two lonely individuals who struggle to move beyond their painful, guilt-ridden past to find a second chance at love.

I fe
Ms. Phyllis E. Ring I saw what you did there, and I loved it! ;-)

This story is so good but so good I call it DE-TOX. It reminds me of SWEET GUM TREE, another super cute and heartwarming story. If you're looking forward to a break from those insta-love/insta-lust bilateral MC's so common in our favorite 'modern' stories - this is YOUR BOOK. I fell in love with all characters Main and Secondary. The writing style is involving, captivating... poetic. I missed reading a story where I would wait a hu
Sandra Nachlinger
When I started reading SNOW FENCE ROAD on my Kindle, I expected it to be a typical romance – and that would have been fine with me. I love a happy ending! But when the book opened with one of the main characters dressing to go to a funeral, I suspected the story would have much more to it than I’d anticipated. I was right.

What impressed me is that the characters seemed so real. The back stories of both the hero (Ewan) and heroine (Tess) revealed the reasons behind their attitudes and situations

A delightful read, with brilliant flourishes. Hard to put down. It covers a lot of internal emotional space, as a good novel should, with deep insights and little clues left like breadcrumbs for you to follow throughout. I read it in one sitting and it held me in its grasp until literally the last page. The characters also deal with such universal challenges that the entire experience feels like a good therapy session.

I don't want to spoil it for you, but lines like this are worth looking for: "
Diana Febry
An absolute delight.
I tend to read thrillers where the writer's aim is to grab you by the throat in the first chapter. This book certainly did grab my attention, but in a very different way. By a few chapters in it had quietly seeped into my bones and kept me enthralled throughout.
It is a romance, with emphasis on love and trust rather than lust, but is so much more. The writer shows a deep understanding of the difficulty of fully opening up and becoming vulnerable and the pain of letting go of
Morrine Depolo
What a great book! A love story with a difference.

A small town in Maine and delightful, Spinnaker Inn provide the perfect location and background for all the vicissitudes of a growing relationship fraught with difficulties. Phyllis Edgerly Ring generates such wonderful images. One can visualize so clearly the tiny village streets and feel the emotional tug of the charming old inn where much of the story unfolds.

The characters are so real and finely drawn one is immediately pulled into their live
3.5 Stars

The Spinnaker Inn is a quaint and cozy place to vacation near the coast of Maine. It has been around for decades and its familial history is just what Tess Johansen needs to heal her wounded heart. After suffering the devastating loss of her fiancé, she returns to the one place that still holds fond memories for her. As for Evan Marston, he avoids the inn and all of its memories, as he tries to cope with the daily life since his horrific accident. Slowly throughout the changing seasons,
Snow Fence Road is a tender love story of two people, Tess Johansen and Evan Marston. Both have suffer the loss of a loved one, and together learn to break free of the guilt they kept buried deep within themselves.

A few months after the death of her fiance, Andy, Tess moves to Knowle where she purchases the Spinnaker Inn. She runs it with the help of Claire, the original owner of the Inn. To keep her from thinking of Andy, Tess keeps herself busy cooking and doing small repairs at the Inn. He w
Eric Mondschein
Jun 14, 2013 Eric Mondschein rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Snow Fence Road by Phyllis Edgerly Ring invites the reader to become a part of the lives of several individuals who, in a small village on the coast of Maine, are found vainly attempting to survive the loss of loved ones that shattered their hopes and dreams, and left them trying to live with a tormenting guilt they carry. Ring is a master story teller who weaves the daily routines of the main characters with how they must cope with the feelings and secrets that they possess, and how their paths ...more
Is it possible to heal after the tragic loss of a loved one? Is it possible to ever love again? Tess and Evan are each struggling in their own ways with the challenge of healing their abilities to love and live a productive and thriving existence.

In the small New England village in which they both find themselves, new circumstances and paradigms present unexpected and even unwanted opportunities for growth, healing and love. Surrounded by friends who support them, they discover more and more a
Final feeling: sweet romance, good writing

I enjoyed this clean romance, although the romance was very mild and rather old-fashioned. Reminded me a bit of romance books of the 60s and 70s era. The characters didn't get on my nerves, which seems to happen more often than not with more modern romance books. Clean, but enough colorful language that I wouldn't recommend to my mom.
Esther Bradley-detally
This is a dear sweet book, and I, not a inspirational romance buyer, was given this book by a good friend. Was I surprised. Phyllis Edgerly Ring produced a story seamlessly written, and enchantingly inhaled. I teach writing, and emphasize, among other things, get your characters in motion, whether a smile, a hairy arm reaching for potatoes, that type of thing. I looked at this book, this morning, the day after I read it, and looked at Phyllis Edgerly Ring's writing from a technical view. The wri ...more
Susanne Weigand
Winter in Maine turns to summer of the hearts

I love books with a great sense of place. Snow Fence Road has it all, the Spinnacker Inn where I would like to go for a holiday. The town of Knowles where you walk the streets with the charakters. Great food you taste while reading about it. Art you can visualize. Blueberry picking in summer and a long harsh winter that makes you shiver even when reading the book in warmer weather.

The characters are real, you will go back to them and talk to them, lon
When I won this book Snow Fence Road by Phyllis E Ring. I was kind of leery about reading it as I'm not big on romance type stories. I had entered to win it so that I could try and broaden my reading likes.

I was very surprised that I really enjoyed it. It is a story about 2 people who gave up on love because they were each lost in the pain of loosing a loved one. They learned to deal with the pain and come to terms with the issues that they had and finally found each other.

Makes you think that
Phyllis Ring does an excellent job of developing deep characters in her book SNOW FENCE ROAD. Tess Johansen and Evan Her romantic partner are tortured souls who in order to find love must each dig deep into their painful pasts and confront the demons they find there. The setting is idyllic and Mrs. Ring goes to great depths to put the reader in the room with her characters. SNOW FENCE ROAD is an enjoyable read and a pure example of romance at its best. I look forward to reading more of Phyllis E ...more
Sabrina Laumer
This book was absorbing and comforting, with characters that were engaging and distinctive. Set in a frozen winter scene in Maine, it made me feel like curling up with a hot cup of tea while I read. Unique to this story's theme was a collection of artwork painted by a girl who died young in mysterious circumstances. The romance that develops between her former boyfriend, Evan, and Tess, recently widowed, is a story that keeps you engaged and guessing at it's secrets right up until the the truth ...more
Very much enjoyed this book!! Thanks!
I read this book critically through the lens of a writer and by page 3-I was irreversibly tangled in the day to day lives of the characters. I found myself thinking about them through the day wondering of their fate. Ms. Ring weaves quite a tale right from the first page and keeps you guessing until the last. Don't let the summer months pass without taking this book along wherever you may wander. Well written and a pure delight. I was truly sad when I came to the last page.
Christine Singleton
A friend recommended Snow Fence Road, and I picked it up on a whim. The cover is lovely ~ with a picture of a snowy road that just begs you to enter. Both of the main characters are dealing with losses, and every character in the book is so detailed that you feel you KNOW these people. It's the kind of story you hate to have end. It's based in New England and I wish that Tess was a friend of mine. I hope that Phyllis Ring considers a follow up to this book!
Laurel Sabera
I finished this book at least a month ago, and I am still fantasizing about taking a trip up to visit Tess and Evan. They have become family to me in my mind. Each character in this book is so unbelievably real, endearing, and heart warming. It was an absolute pleasure to read, even more so that the characters were admirable but realistically imperfect. I couldn't put it down and was genuinely sad when it ended. Please, please let there be a sequel!
Snow Fence Road is a tale that’s fresh and inviting. If 50 Shades isn’t your thing, then this story is for you. If you’re looking for a story to “elevate the human condition” without preaching to the choir, then this story is for you. Check out my interview with the Author here:
i received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
This is an amazing love story, on how two broken hearts can heal even when they thought everything was lost.
Tess and Evan are two very well made characters and Claire and Rowan are two tricky helpers playing very well Cupido with them :)
i loved this book, and i suggest you all to read it
Snow Fence Road was a total surprise to me. I was expecting something totally different than this layered, charming and lovable story. I highly recommend it for your reading pleasure. A well-written, inspiring book
Virginia Madrid
No spoilers
A lovely romance novel that warms the heart! Nice and classy with the touch of adventure that life offers, I highly enjoyed this book!
Lisa C.
I had a difficult time getting through this. Not sure if it was because it bordered on boring or that the characters didn't seem too excited to be together or what. I didn't really like their thoughts going back and forth from past to present so often. I found the part about Tess taking care of her own fiance while he was dying unbelievable. I also felt the continued references to the fall off the cliff took too long to be explained. The truth about Celia's parentage felt like it overshadowed Te ...more
This was a really good book...and I loved that it took place in Maine!
Mary Ellen
Really good story about two hurting people and the love that healed them.
Lara Kearns
Loved it, I was hooked from the beginning! It's a Wonderful Book!
  • Brenda's Christmas Desire (Dreams Come True #2)
  • The Most Expensive Night of Her Life
  • Leave It to Chance
  • At Long Odds (Caspian Chronicles, #1)
  • What Endures
  • Her Kind of Trouble
  • Travelers Rest
  • No More Running
  • A Daring Proposition
  • Dirty Little Lies
  • Courage Dares (Sisters of Spirit, #4)
  • Moonshell Beach (Shelter Bay, #4)
  • Eu Me Chamo Antônio
  • Torn
  • In the Arms of Danger
  • Fatal Error
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • Edge of Shadows (Shadow Ops, #3)
I love the written word, creative expression, travel -- and most of all -- the noblest possibilities in the human heart. I'm always curious to discover how history, culture, relationship, spirituality and the natural world influence us and point the way for our human family on its shared journey.

I've worked as writer, editor, nurse, tour guide, program director at a Baha’i conference center, taugh
More about Phyllis Edgerly Ring...
Life at First Sight: Finding the Divine in the Details