Start by marking “When a Man Loves a Woman” as Want to Read:
When a Man Loves a Woman

When a Man Loves a Woman

From the bestselling author of Annie's Wild Ride comes an unforgettable new novel that sizzles with passion and emotional power--a very contemporary romance that asks the provocative question: Can a man and a woman really be just friends?

With his rugged good looks and undeniable charm, Dr. James Elliot is never at a loss for women. Lately, the hospital gossips have been bu
Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Published April 11th 2000 by Dell (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about When a Man Loves a Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When a Man Loves a Woman

Julianna
Aug 24, 2008 Julianna rated it it was ok
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

I am usually a huge fan of best friends romances, so that is what caught my eye and made me want to read When a Man Loves a Woman. With that theme, I really thought I would enjoy the story, but ultimately it fell extremely flat for me. The book got off to a decent start, but the further I got into the story, the more I kept thinking, “Where was the editor?”. In my opinion, the book had good potential, and might have actually been good, if it had been about half the
Lyuda
DNF at 2% - a record!
I just couldn't pass the absurdity of the first couple of pages.

Imagine a heroine laying in bed tossing and turning until 4 am, worrying about not getting a medical residence placement she'd requested. She doesn't turn to her husband with her worry, even though she loves him and he loves her back and he is right there sleeping besides her. What does she do instead? Why, getting up at 4 am to visit her best friend (male, single) because he is the only one who can help her wi
Anne OK
Apr 07, 2010 Anne OK rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
SPOILER ALERT: My one and only complaint with this book was that they made love for the first time on the day of her husband's funeral. To me, this just overshadowed the tenderness and joy of their own special relationship.
Michelle
Jun 20, 2016 Michelle rated it it was ok
This book was looooonnnngggg. I just wanted it to end. I had multiple problems with this book. I had a hard time with the concept that the H/h were "best" friends when she was married. She'd leave her bed in the middle of the night to go to his house for emotional support. Couldn't believe that the husband would put up with this either. I liked the concept that he had loved her for 20 years, but as the book went along I wondered why. She was whiny and difficult, then came out and told him that s ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
When A Man Loves A Woman is a character driven novel about the complicated relationship between De James Elliot and Dr Deborah Brody.
Best friends since med school, the pair have been always close but the relationship has remained strictly platonic for more than twenty years because Deborah was already married. When Max dies suddenly, Elliot is the one Deborah turns to for comfort but their repressed desire spirals out of control and they make love the night of Max's funeral. In the aftermath, D
Crista
May 19, 2010 Crista rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star, contemporary
I write this review with such mixed emotions. I really wanted to love this book, but there were just too many thing that made that impossible. I won't rehash the plot, but I'll give you my 2 cents!

What worked:
1. Alina Adam's writing. Her writing is addicting. It's so down to earth, filled with emotion, and realistic, that you feel like you're watching a movie instead of reading a book.
2. James Elliot's love for Deb Brody. It really is amazing in it's intensity and staying power.
3. The "medic
Marlene
Feb 05, 2012 Marlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a Man Loves a Woman is the title of a classic song from 1966 by Percy Sledge. It's also the title of an enhanced ebook by Alina Adams. What's an enhanced ebook? An enhanced ebook has added content from other media. In the case of this particular book, the added content happens to be music videos. Appropriately, one of the music videos is Percy Sledge singing the title track.

But what about the story? The story is also a classic. James Elliot met Deb Brody in med school and fell instantly in
Star
Apr 13, 2012 Star rated it really liked it
Review is for the Multimedia Enhanced E-book:

Drs. Brody and Elliot have been best friends for over twenty years, from the time they met in med school, when the unthinkable happens to Brody – her husband passes away. She needs to lean on her best friend, Elliot, but is afraid of losing him as she lost her husband. What Brody doesn’t know is that Elliot has loved her for the last twenty years. When something unexpected happens, Brody isn’t sure what to do except make sure that her friendship with
Amy
Oct 15, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
I haven't read a book for my own personal enjoyment since this summer because of how busy college has been. It's fall break, and though I have a lot on my mind and things to do, I ended up reading this free book on my kindle. It gave me time to just relax and think (about life). I can't believe it, but it's been awhile since I've flown through a book this quickly-less than 24 hours. I started last night and ended this afternoon.

I can't say it was a super exciting read, but because where I am rig
Linda
Jul 03, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
For being an intelligent, successful doctor, Dr. Brody is needy, selfish and a whiner. If Dr. Elliott could pine for her for 20 years then he must be the saint.

I loved the premise of the story and enjoyed reading it except for getting irritated with Dr. Brody. But, if a book can inspire emotions, then I believe it accomplished what the author intended. However, the irritation is the reason I am only giving it 3 stars - if I could do a half, then it would have been 3 and a half.

The unresolved con
Glynis Smy
Aug 13, 2011 Glynis Smy rated it liked it
I enjoyed this medical love story it was quite different from many I have read. I could see this as a movie. It reminded me of a something from Greys Anatomy.

Two high IQ doctors have a deep friendship. One is married and the other single. Nothing can keep them apart when either one needs help and support...until *no spoilers from me*

Nefret
Dec 01, 2010 Nefret rated it really liked it
Eine süße Geschichte, auch wenn sie in der Mitte einen kleinen Durchhänger hat.
Wanda
Sep 19, 2010 Wanda rated it it was amazing
James and Deborah. Doctors and lifetime friends become more.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Toni
Toni rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Bridget Hively
Bridget Hively rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Vivian
Vivian rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Sasha Field
Sasha Field rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Jo Notary
Jo Notary marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Julie
Julie added it
Feb 03, 2016
Sandy
Sandy added it
Jan 13, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Rachel Ward
Rachel Ward marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Melissa Wandel
Melissa Wandel marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Ippy Klau
Ippy Klau is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alina Adams is Jewish, lives on the East Coast, married with two kids and is the author of Berkley Prime Crime's "Figure Skating Mysteries," including "Murder on Ice," "On Thin Ice," and coming in January 2006 "Axel of Evil!"
More about Alina Adams...