Start by marking “Secret Sister” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

Secret Sister

"If you're looking for a typical women's fiction/romance, don't look here... this story has a twist of the paranormal that will have you willingly stretching your belief in order to enjoy the plot. Emelle Gamble has created a story that will tear your heart out." LONG AND SHORT REVIEWS, AUGUST, 2013

What if everything about you changed in an instant...
Nick & Cathy and R
Published July 8th 2013 by Soul Mate Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Secret Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Sister

Stacia (the 2010 club)
I've seen this movie subject done at least a few times before. Yet, I haven't taken the time to read this particular setup in a book, so it was something I was excited to try.

For the most part, Secret Sister was executed well. You have two best friends who get into a car accident. One dies (not a spoiler, this happens at the very beginning), and one lives.

The reader learns right away from the book synopsis that not everything is as it seems. However, we don't get to see this while reading the b
☼♄Jülie 
Secret Sister
Thanks to NetGalley for this kindle Arc.

This book has some real surprises. The storyline is a very clever one which has been very carefully and skillfully plotted out. The subject matter is not something that would appeal to everyone at first notice, and yet it manages to draw the reader in and hold interest. It builds and builds, and just when you think you understand where it's going, it builds some more.

Have you ever wished you were someone else? Well, this book might have you no
Heather
Jun 13, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Secret Sister is not at all what I expected but what a wonderful surprise I found in this book. From beginning to end, I couldn't seem to put the book down. At one point, I was literally jumping in my seat anxiously awaiting to turn the next page but also nervous to find out what I was about to uncover. The book instantly grabs your attention and keeps it through the entire book with great characters and a catchy story line. I loved how not only was I getting to read and understand "Roxanne's" p ...more
Olivia Nuccio
Jun 20, 2013 Olivia Nuccio rated it it was amazing
WOW…I gave this 5 stars because it is a must read!! Beautiful, intelligent, dramatic and delightfully quirky!!

*************NO SPOILERS, promise**************

This is my first time on goodreads.com and well, it’s been a huge success so far.

Secret Sister is one of my absolute favorite books. It’s mysterious, sexy, brilliantly written and the characters captivate from beginning to end. I read it voraciously-- in just one night (!!!), and by the end of the story I was left contemplative but hopeful.
Jun 18, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC of this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Cathy and Roxanne are best friends and think of each other as sisters. They got into a terrible accident that left one of them dead and the other confused. Nick, Cathy's husband, is left a total mess after the accident. Everyone has secrets that are slowly revealed throughout the book.

I loved Secret Sister. The secrets and mystery of what was happening really sucked me in. Once I started this book, I really didn't wan
Linda Williams
Dec 14, 2013 Linda Williams rated it it was amazing
Emelle Gamble explores friendship, love, and family in this most unusual supernatural tale. From page one, I became absorbed in the characters' lives--those of Roxanne Ruiz and Cathy & Nick Chance. Well written and engrossing, the story contained enough plot twists to keep me guessing and surprise me along the way. To say more would spoil the novel for other readers, who should approach it "cold" the way I did.

If you're looking for a book that heats up your imagination, then you'll enjoy Se
Heidi Jo Lee
Jun 10, 2013 Heidi Jo Lee rated it it was amazing
Great book! It was an entertaining story from the beginning and I found myself unable to put it down. It's rich with humor and great characters. The book was written with clever, funny language and a creative format. The author keeps you guessing for almost the entire book duration, and makes you anxious to turn the page.
Abby Lane
Jun 22, 2013 Abby Lane rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully entertaining read. I wasn't expecting the supernatural element, but it was a refreshing change of pace from the typical fare in this genre. I've soured a bit on women's fiction in general, but author Gamble has breathed some new life into it and provided an exhilarating journey.
Margaret Fisk
Jul 24, 2013 Margaret Fisk rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Originally published on Tales to Tide You Over

If I had to describe this book in one word, the word I’d choose is intense. It has a twist that takes the characters beyond normal life, but at the same time this doesn’t change the focus of the story. Secret Sister is about love, life, choices, and fate. Cathy has found her soul mate in Nick and her best friend in Roxanne, but neither of those relationships stands still. Sometimes growth can be rocky, especially when not everything is known.

Trying t
Leslie
Aug 17, 2013 Leslie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: If you want a little magic mixed in with a story about self-discovery and undying love
Secret Sister is one of those books in which my logical and emotional halves are battling to have their say regarding this book. My logical side is saying the book was a well written story about love, loss, grief, and how our relationships with others affect who we are. It infused a twist on the amnesiac accident survivor story and used it as a catalyst to explore the details mentioned earlier. However, with all the good points this book had, my emotional side isn’t as quite taken with the book ...more
Jun 17, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Secret Sisters by Emelle Gamble set to publish July 10, 2013. This book was interesting but not for me, although the idea of a sort of life after death seems amazing and surreal this just didn't get my enthusiasm. Cathy and Roxanne are the best of friends, I don't understand their friendship at first but I later understand more, Roxanne is dealing not very well with a breakup. They are arguing back and forth when it happens, the crash. Skipping forward we come to the hospital where Roxanne awake ...more
Gabby
Oct 01, 2013 Gabby rated it it was amazing
I haven't read many paranormal novels, much less paranormal romances. This one is an excellent place to start. Since I don't read many books from this genre, I didn't know exactly what to expect, so I was surprised and delighted at how quickly I was drawn into the lives of these characters. Before I knew it I was captivated by the situation described in this story, and it was so well done, I didn't bother to spend much time thinking about whether or not the circumstances were plausible. I was fa ...more
Sherri
Jun 17, 2013 Sherri rated it really liked it
Secret Sister is not my typical style of reading and I almost skipped over the book. I'm so glad I gave it a chance! On a whim, I decided to read the first chapter and just HAD to read more and find out what happened next. I found myself right in the middle of the story rooting for the characters as if they were my own friends. This story covers a range of issues and emotions that will have you both laughing and crying. Read the first chapter and you will not want to put it down!

*****I received
Donna
Jul 14, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Donna by: Char Chaffin
Whoa, did not see that twist coming. When two best friends are involved in a horrible car crash, nothing seems to fit anymore. Emelle keeps you guessing throughout the book with a different take on life, fidelity, relationships, you name it. Emelle is new to me, but I will be looking for more.
Jeannie Zelos
Aug 09, 2013 Jeannie Zelos rated it it was amazing
Secret Sister. Emelle Gamble.

ARC supplied by Netgalley.

WOW!! what a surprise this book was..I was expecting a fairly traditional HEA romance ( and I love those) – and got so, so much more. There is a happy ever after, but the journey to that point was nothing like I expected. The book begins with Roxanne and Cathy together going to yet another psych type appointment for Roxanne. The duo have been friends since they were in their early teens, but Roxanne seems to be constantly unhappy, always see
Jackie

Source:Netgalley EARC

Book Buy Links

AMAZON

BOOK SYNOPSIS

What if everything about you changed in an instant...your looks, your voice, the feel of your hair and the smell of your skin...

Nick & Cathy and Roxanne. Two best friends. One husband. An extraordinary twist of fate.

How much do you really know about your husband? Your best friend? Yourself? Cat
Michelle
Oct 11, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Secret Sister is definitely one of those books that the minute you start reading, you will not want to stop. Intriguingly addictive from the start, you get hooked into this unique plot. Being such a page turner, it has so many twists and turns that if you thought from reading the summary it would be predictable, you will see far from.

This book was so much better than I would've ever anticipated. There is an element of the book that dabbled in the paranormal which was a new experience for me. The
Chrissy
Jul 26, 2013 Chrissy rated it really liked it
SECRET SISTER was actually a charming little surprise that I received for review purposes from the publisher. It was cute, fun, and was definitely a book that I found myself staying up just another hour (and another) too late at night to finish, just to find out what happened with these characters that became so endearing to me over the course of the journey.

In SECRET SISTER we meet a pair of best friends so close that they consider one another to be long lost sisters, devoted to one another thr
Suze
Feb 28, 2017 Suze rated it it was amazing
SECRET SISTER

Wonderful book, I usually read suspense thrillers- this book is rather suspenseful, but more introspective then I normally read. Cathy, Roxanne, Nick and Zoe all tell their stories, all pull at your heartstrings. Highly recommend.
Vox
Jul 07, 2013 Vox rated it liked it
I'd give this a 3.5 more than a 3.

Two women are such good friends - have been forever - that they call each other their "secret sister." But one horrific day, they are in a car accident and one of the women dies. How does her secret sister recover? How does she go on?

One thing you learn in this book is that there are different types of survival. Roxanne drives the car that kills Cathy (whose last name is Chance ... I mean ... grab that frying pan and beat yourself over the head with it), so she
Mackenzie Lucas
Jul 11, 2013 Mackenzie Lucas rated it it was amazing
Emelle Gamble’s new release Secret Sister is this week’s highlight in Craft Matters. The author’s skilled use of conflict creates a micro-tension that grabs the reader immediately and continues to drive the story forward. Secret Sister is a cross-genre novel that hopscotch’s back and forth over the lines of women’s fiction, romance, and light paranormal. At its core, this is a story of rediscovery and second chances. The self-exploration the heroine undergoes--that sense of being a foreigner in ...more
Lee
Sep 03, 2013 Lee rated it really liked it

Secret Sister is about two women drawn together as children, lifelong friends, so close that they see themselves as Secret Sisters. It's about seeing people for who they really are, not just what they look like on the outside. It's about secrets and why we keep them. It's about trust and believing in the unbelievable. It's about asking yourself what if. It's about marriage and the special connection between partners. It's about love.

When the synopsis said that there was a paranormal twi
Barbara
Jun 06, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
NO SPOILERS
***I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review ***
Secret Sister by Emelle Gamble set to publish July 10, 2013.

I want to begin by telling you that I've read many of Ms. Gamble's works (written as M.L Gamble), always a little intrigue there….

This book hit me right off the bat with a "WHAM!" that left me wondering…. waiting anxiously to see 'what next?'…

Secret Sister is well-written, as I would expect from this author. I read it slow because I wanted to absorb it. T
Kristi
Aug 28, 2014 Kristi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-kindle-books
If I had to sum up this book in one word in would be hard to do but I would pick....Wow! After reading a few books to write reviews on I decided to read Secret Sister "for fun". I don't quite know what I was expecting from this book but was I surprised. This book grabbed my attention and wouldn't let go until I had read the last word. I finished this book yesterday but have not been able to stop thinking about it.

I have never read a book like this one. I haven't read any books with the subject
Gina Marcantonio
Aug 29, 2013 Gina Marcantonio rated it it was amazing
An AMAZING book!

“The generous gift of a second chance......”

“Life changes every day. You need to be ready for the next painful or wonderful thing that walks in the door. Because something will.”

I don’t usually read paranormal books, but the write up on this one said it had a “twist of the paranormal” and that intrigued me. This certainly wasn’t what I expected! It was the most emotional book I have read in a VERY long time! I couldn’t put it down. This story will tear your heart out, have you qu
Shannon L. Gonzalez
Aug 25, 2013 Shannon L. Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Secret Sister by Emelle Gamble

Secret Sister plunges into the mystery of what happens to our soul after death.

Would you trade places with your best friend to give her another chance at life? This spectacular story bridges more than devoted friendship, it deals with sacrifice, grief, and unconditional love at an extreme most would not care to give.

When two best friends are involved in a tragedy, one survives, but the other does not. The question is which one really survived? Is it Catherine or R
Emelle Gamble
Jun 12, 2013 Emelle Gamble added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
“Secret Sister is a terrific, satisfying novel – a real five star read and one for the keeper files … its one of those that will stay with me for a while, not a read and then quickly forget book.” Jennie Zelos Book Reviews

Hey readers...My book, Secret Sister, is a gritty romance. Or a romantic woman's novel. Or a paranormal with a little bit of both. HA! It's definitely what they call in the business a 'blended genre'. So beware...if you want real lovers, real friends, warts and angst and shortc
Books Mom
Aug 24, 2013 Books Mom rated it really liked it
This is a book that will put you through the wringer emotionally. The characters are unique and three dimensional and full of both admirable traits and flaws. With a paranormal twist I didn't see coming, I was involved with this story from the start.

The author has a strong, clear voice and helps the reader really see the scene as it unfolds. Sometimes what happens isn't good or happy, and sometimes the characters make me want to slap them silly (Roxanne at the beginning and Nick for much of the
Mona
Oct 10, 2013 Mona rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yes
Recommended to Mona by: No one
SECRET SISTER starts off with Cathy and Roxanne driving to an appointment. They call each other Secret Sisters because they are always doing things together.

Cathy is married to Nick and the three of them are very good friends. Nick, however is a little jealous, I think, because Cathy spends so much time with Roxanne. Through no fault of their own, something terrible and out of control happens. This tragedy ends up hurting a lot of people.

The secret you will find out will shock you and trust me
Dee
Jun 17, 2013 Dee rated it liked it
(ARC received from publisher, Soul Mate Publishing, in exchange for honest review.)

There were several twists in the story which would leave me longing to read more. But, then there were just stretches where I couldn't keep my mind on the story because it just didn't seem like anything was happening.

The first portion of the book really grips you with the action and how fast the story progresses into the "meat" of the story. But, then it seems a little over laden with details and characters that d
Madison Mega-Mara...: Secret Sister by Emelle Gamble 1 3 Sep 19, 2013 06:57PM
  • The Silver Chain (The Unbreakable Trilogy, #1)
  • Autumn (Dog Days #1)
  • Race to the Altar
  • All Over You (Unforgettable You, #2)
  • Diamonds and Toads: A Modern Fairy Tale
  • Security
  • Gwynneth Ever After (Ever After, #1)
  • Chances & Choices (Choices #1)
  • The Big Bang
  • That Weekend...
  • Matilda's Freedom
  • Dark Water (NY State Troopers, #2)
  • The Baby Trap
  • Paradigm
  • Daysider (Nightsiders #1)
  • Found (Penny Black #1)
  • Forever a Stallion
  • The Prince of Mafia Princes
Emelle Gamble was a writer at an early age, bursting with the requisite childhood stories of introspection which evolved into bad teen poetry and attempts at 'real literature' all copies of which she has since, very sensibly, shredded. She took her first stab at romantic fiction in an adult education writing class when her kids were in bed, taught by fellow writer Carolyn Haines, in Mobile, Alabam ...more
More about Emelle Gamble...

“inside my head again. Did they also have something to do with Roxanne and Cathy? For the moment, I didn’t trust my emotions enough to ask Bradley. He busied himself with” 1 likes
“uninformed or” 0 likes