Start by marking “Bay's Mercenary (Unearthly World, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bay's Mercenary (Unearthly World, #1)

Bay's Mercenary (Unearthly World #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  2,332 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
Bay went from tortured human captive to exotic alien pet in a heartbeat. Zargonnii warrior mercenaries are like nothing she has ever seen before. What do they want from her? The unearthly world Bay is taken to is fascinating, frightening and a lot different from Earth. Zargonnii males have never seen a small, vulnerable female. Their females are huge, aggressive, dominant; ...more
Published May 31st 2013 by Whiskey Creek Press LLC (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Bay's Mercenary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bay's Mercenary

Grim by M.K. EidemRal's Woman by Laurann DohnerVenomous by Penelope FletcherThe Last Hour of Gann by R. Lee SmithBerrr's Vow by Laurann Dohner
Alien & Earth woman romance/erotica
6th out of 590 books — 611 voters
Ral's Woman by Laurann DohnerGrim by M.K. EidemClaimed by Evangeline AndersonHunted by Evangeline AndersonBerrr's Vow by Laurann Dohner
Mars Needs Women Trope
25th out of 399 books — 499 voters

More lists with this book...

SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
Book Basics

Genre : - Paranormal/Sci-Fi Romance
Series : - 1st in the series
Love triangle? - (view spoiler)
Cheating? - (view spoiler)
HEA? - (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author/or in this series? - yes
Rating - 3.5 rounded up to 4 stars

Review

I started this series, but really think I should read her other series New World first, not that there are any cross over characters as such, just the history of the Earthers etc.
Hayat
~first edited in Dec 2013~

Yet another book I had to mark down from 5 stars to 4 (I don't know why I gave it 5 stars to begin with), because it didn't have excellent world building, great character development and memorable romance as well as prose that make you swoon. But it was a fun read, at times hilarious, entertaining and an excellent way to pass the time.

Reading these types of books helps me to relax and refresh my reading palate, it's like a mini holiday before starting more stimulating,
A
Apr 13, 2015 A rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: alien, badly-written
Sadly there's really nothing redeeming about this book. I bought this specifically because I enjoy alien romances (romance, erotica etc) but this is the kind of book that gives the genre a bad reputation (for being badly written, unoriginal, no plot etc). My biggest complaint is bad world-building - the heroine leaves a dying earth, lands on a planet which turns out to have hostile citizens, leading to the heroine being captured and sold. She ends up in another planet inhabited by beast like ...more
Malinda
4 stars

This was a very good story. I really liked both Bay and Zane and enjoyed their story. This isn't a really unique storyline (kidnapped human ends up with a hot hunk of an alien) but it wasn't boring at all and I found I liked it a lot. This is the first book I've read by this author and I do plan to read more of her work in the future.

Bay is 26 and escaped from Earth with other humans when the Earth ends in an apocalyptic way. When their spaceship arrives at the planet that was supposed to
Lyndi
Apr 01, 2014 Lyndi rated it really liked it
This is going to sound weird, but stick with me. The story isn't anything special, but at the same time... it's totally unique. And it's not unique in a bad way. But it's kinda ridiculous, so it's not exactly unique in a good way, either. Let me try to explain a little bit.

Earth is basically kaput and our MC, Bay, escaped for the safe haven of another planet. That planet wasn't so much a safe haven as it was a battlefield and poor Bay is kidnapped - because of... reasons... - and hauled off to b
 B.E.Love
Aug 19, 2016 B.E.Love rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars. Not bad but some of the things in this book were hard to believe, and I don't mind having stories with situations or ideas that won't happen in real life but these were kind of out there. I will say this book kept me hooked and reading till late at night, and I loved the different elements of this book. I have said it before but I really appreciate when a book has original ideas in it. The hero was super possessive, so much so he would go into a natural fighting/protective mode for ...more
Jane Stewart
Light on character development and plot, but good if you’re in the mood for sweet and cute.

Imagine yourself in an alien world. They think you are a pet like a puppy, giving you food to reward you, hitting your nose if you’re bad. Interesting and different as a plot. And it stays interesting after Bay (the female human) is able to speak and have sex with the alien dad. The ending was too syrupy sweet for me.

(view spoiler)
Coyora Dokusho
Apr 19, 2014 Coyora Dokusho rated it liked it
Good to read when I don't want to do any heavy lifting mentally. Quick read. Characters one-dimensional.

Instead of an lol I had a QUIRK OF THE LIPS. XD

will keep author in mind for when my brain needs to rest.
Ana
Sep 08, 2015 Ana rated it liked it
Mara
Apr 08, 2014 Mara rated it did not like it
Shelves: futuristic
What she said: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... It wasn't sexy, it wasn't erotic, it wasn't interesting nor well written. But it was flat, does it count?
Becky
Mar 16, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing
Another great read by C.L. Scholey. I loved Zane!!
T00zday
This book is told from multiple POV, both Bay and the aliens.

*** SPOILER WARNING ***

The first chapter is told from the POV of the Zargonnii alien. It amused the hell out of me. Imagine an alien race that looks kind of like bigfoot. Really big, lots of fur, claws, fangs, very strong & tough.
Blu has just purchased an "earth female" off a Tonan. It is not sexual in any way. He is buying it for his friend Zane whose pet toff has recently died.

The aliens keep speaking about it being bald (no hair
Jedi Kitty
Jun 14, 2016 Jedi Kitty rated it did not like it
Shelves: time-waster
I am really craving alien, sci-fi romance! But there is just not a lot of decent writing out there. Bay's Mercenary seemed promising at first. It had a pretty funny set up- one that could actually happen in a scifi world! The heroine, Bay, is taken captive in a inter-civilizational conflict and sold across the galaxy to an alien buyer - but as a pet not a slave! Her buyer thinks she's cute- and no smarter than a dog. This promises so much humor and room for exploration of language, intelligence ...more
Lillie
Jun 18, 2016 Lillie rated it liked it
Ok, I'll be honest, I went into this book with low, even cynical, expectations and surprisingly I ended up really liking this book.

But don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean it's a "good book".

My reasons for liking Bay's Mercenary so much was the absolutely insane characters and the fun but sweet story. It starts off with the heroine playing dumb to try and protect herself first from her abusive capture and then from a group of large, strange aliens that she wasn't sure she could trust not to hu
ValerieC
Bay's Mercenary (Unearthly World, #1) by C. L. Scholey

4.5 Stars!!!

This is a 'breakoff' series about the same group of Earth survivors from the 'New World' series. It's not necessary to read that series because the author does fill us in some on the background there, but it would be helpful. Also, I liked most of the books in that series a lot.

Bay is a woman that escaped the devastation on Earth only to find herself in a cave on the planet Ulsy hiding from the warring Tonans and Castians. She is
Julie
A rather quirky romance. Definitely written from a premise that I hadn't considered for a romance base. This is an alien-human connection, but with an ironic twist. Picture a huge, partially furry, beast-like creature from another world with intelligence, compassion, and empathy ~~ traits that contradict his appearance. Then, imagine a small, frail, human female caught, kept in a cage, and sold as a pet into this alien world. Additionally, treated just like a pet by caring pet owners until it is ...more
Claudia
Jul 20, 2016 Claudia rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-romance
I actually enjoyed the story a lot.
It was fun to see that bay was not recognized as a woman but as an animal/ pet by the Zargonii warrior Blue.
I loved her interaction with Zane and his son Draven.
I was introduced to the world of Zargonii, different creatures than the normal humanoid aliens from the books.
Their mating habits were interesting as well as their planet. Finally males were dominated.
Poor Zane was thinking he is losing it by being attracted by his pet. He was so sweet with Bay for his
Loata93
Jul 11, 2014 Loata93 rated it really liked it
4 Stars.

Don't judge me but I actually enjoyed this book. The Hero is described to be more different/alien in looks in comparison to the book cover but this doesn't take anything from the story. It's actually quite humorous a few parts had me laughing out loud. It's a short story so not much build up etc. but I still found it to be a good read and it had enough sweet bits in it to make it aaaw worthy. It's weird reading about a human female getting with an alien that actually LOOKS alien but meh
Arantxa
Wow! Such a great and interesting story!

Definitely gonna read the next books in the series, I've been trying to find a good author to read since I finished with Laurann Dohner, on what good series and sci-fy / erotica books comes to, and I think it finally happened.

The idea on the book with a new raze of aliens is so creative and incredible described, C. L. Scholey's works are gonna be on my TBR pile from now on.
Wyrdness
Oct 28, 2014 Wyrdness rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
The beginning bit where everyone thought she was a pet was quite interesting, but after her new "owner" figures out she's a real person and that's why he's been getting constant boners it all rapidly goes down hill. The plot was light, the romance was light, the character development was non-existent. At least it was a short read.
Beth
Jan 09, 2014 Beth rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
This book just didn't have enough character development for me. There was no build up of chemistry, no spark and the plot moved in too many directions. I enjoyed her previous series, but this just felt flat.

In addition, the description of Zane's species confused me. I have no real idea what these things look like. That certainly didn't help me connect with the characters.
Gardavson
Apr 10, 2015 Gardavson rated it liked it
Uuuhh, ya, ok. Well, that was different. The story moved along nicely, the characters were likeable, nothing wrong, really. Just Zane, well,i was never really able to figure out the description of his character. I'm not really sure what to say about this one.
Carmen Rae
Sep 20, 2015 Carmen Rae rated it really liked it
This hit just the right smutty note I was chasing.

Check out my reviews here

Jacqueline Williams
Sep 09, 2013 Jacqueline Williams rated it it was amazing
I SOOOOOO LOVED THIS BOOK! !!!!! I just wish there was more to this series. It was so funny sexy, I can't wait for the next book to come out.
Leyns
Apr 06, 2016 Leyns rated it really liked it

Weird but good. Good world and character building. The hero was very alien in appearance by his description, not like the book cover.
Sophia
Aug 06, 2015 Sophia rated it it was ok
weird af
Nancy
Jun 09, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Couldn't put it down.
This links with the series "New World".
I'm looking forward to more.
rebecca
Amusing furry aliens

This was strangely enjoyable and fun ,just the ticket to pass a couple hours . Found the idea of bay being treated as a pampered pet by these furry aliens very amusing, had myself a good little chuckle. little Draven was adorable and Zane a big lovable furry hunk ,this was an easy sweet read.
Les Chroniques Aléatoires
Mar 13, 2016 Les Chroniques Aléatoires rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Tout comme pour la série Nouveau Monde, c’est une amie qui m’a fait totalement mourir de rire avec certains extraits du livre. Du coup, je l’ai lu immédiatement et cela m’a remonté le moral tellement c’était absurde ! L’auteure laisse vraiment libre court à ses fantasmes, entre aliens flippants et demoiselles revêches, vous n’avez qu’à bien vous tenir.

Bay est une jeune humaine qui n’a eu pas de chance depuis que la fin de la Terre a été annoncée. Seule, elle s’exile hors de la planète pour se re
  • The Gladiators (Enslaved, #3)
  • Savior (The Inteli #1)
  • Venomous (Alien Warrior, #1)
  • Cosmic Bounty (The Quads of Galafrax #1)
  • Into the Dream (The Arcadians #1)
  • Starkissed
  • Alien, Mine
  • Grim (Tornians, #1)
  • Accidental Abduction (Alien Abduction, #1)
  • Cottonwood
  • Eden (Eden, #1)
  • The Melier (Women of Dor Nye, #1)
  • Of Another Dimension
  • Rage (Galactic Cage Fighters, #1)
  • Breeding Ground
  • Choosing Riley (Sarafin Warriors, #1)
  • Saved by Venom (Grabbed, #3)
  • Reality Bites (Coletti Warlords, #4)
Born and raised in Ontario, C. L. Scholey developed her passion for writing through her love of reading books as a child. Her first book was contracted in Oct 2009 the very same month her first grand son was born. C. L. Scholey still lives in Ontario, in a rural community with her husband and daughter.

More about C.L. Scholey...

Unearthly World (6 books)
  • Zuri's Zargonnii Warrior (Unearthly World #2)
  • Bethany's Heart (Unearthly World #3)
  • Cautious Surrender (Unearthly World, #4)
  • To Catch A Warrior (Unearthly World, #5)
  • Citun’s Storm (Unearthly World, #6)

“There’s aroused and then there’s holy shit aroused.” 0 likes
“Experiencing an actual delivery gave Zane more respect for the female population. Watching a head push its way through a small opening that stretched to accommodate was enlightening.” 0 likes