Start by marking “The First Adventure (Feyland, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The First Adventure (Feyland, #0.5)

The First Adventure (Feyland 0.5)

High-tech gaming and ancient magic collide when a computer game opens a gateway to the treacherous Realm of Faerie.

Jennet Carter never thought hacking into her dad's new epic-fantasy sim-game would be so exciting... or dangerous. Behind the interface, dark forces lie in wait, leading her toward a battle that will test her to her limits and cost her more than she ever imagi
Published June 15th 2013 by Fiddlehead Press (first published May 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The First Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Adventure

Future Slayer Girl
Magical

This was a detailed well written world of the fae. With an entirely new spin on the fae mythology. The author manages to spin computer tech with a epic fantasy environment that is commendable. Highly recommend this fast paced action adventure!
Mark
Jul 26, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed reading this adventure that teases the reader with an introduction to the intriguing world of Feyland. I now have questions that need answering and my appetite to explore this world further has been whetted. I look forward to delving more deeply into this series in the future!
April W
Apr 25, 2014 April W rated it really liked it
This is a short read but a good one, definitely worth it. I actually read this after reading the Feyland trilogy but really should/could be read before the trilogy but even if you're already read the trilogy I still recommend reading it. I also just re-read it as part of the Faery Realms collection and found just as good the second time around.

Feyland is a magical realm that is accessed through a SIM computer game. Jennet, the main character and a top gamer, sneeks on to the new FullD sim syste
Carrie Slager
Feb 09, 2014 Carrie Slager rated it it was amazing
[Full disclosure: Unlike with her other works, I was not provided this short story by Anthea Sharp. I downloaded it for free off Amazon so (as usual) my review is completely honest.]

While we caught flashes of Jennet’s first forays into Feyland in The Dark Realm, we never really saw the level of detail that’s revealed in this short story. We learn a little more about the Queen’s plot to bring Jennet to her, Jennet’s first quests and her character flaws. After meeting the selfless person Jennet be
Sheetal Dash
May 04, 2014 Sheetal Dash rated it really liked it
This is a nice introduction to the Feyland trilogy, showing Jennet's first encounter with the realm and ending with the beginning of the first book in the trilogy.

If you enjoy YA Paranormal or have read and enjoyed the Feyland trilogy this short read should satisfy you.Enjoyable pre
Sharon Stevenson
Dec 30, 2013 Sharon Stevenson rated it it was amazing
'Feyland: The First Adventure' is a nice introduction to the Feyland trilogy, showing Jennet's first encounter with the realm and ending with the beginning of the first book in the trilogy.

I basically read this out of curiousity after reading the first book in the trilogy. I would say it's not necessary to read this to understand or enjoy the other books but it gives a nice bit of background to Jennet. If you're a fan of the trilogy you'll want to read it, or if you've not read any of the books
Heidi
Nov 18, 2014 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
When you can't get enough of a tale, these short stories are just the thing! Anthea Sharp takes us to the creation of the ultimate gaming system and the game as well. Jennet is a very different girl from the one she becomes, and this story shares where she has been. I always enjoy prequels because they are very important in fully understanding the characters and give insight into things that are suggested at in the other books of the series. They also can determine whether or not you read on in ...more
Stephanie
Sep 16, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
First thing first I recieved this novel trough goodreads first reads.
And I would like to say how happy I am the first time to win something . so yeey .

Now about the novel. To put it simple I realy like this novel.
It's a good way to make people want to read more about feyland.
more about what is going to happen. ( I, for one, certainly want to know)
So the next thing I do is go and buy me some feyland books :)

The novel was very wel written. with a lot of twists in it building up until the endig.
j
Susan Commeford
Oct 21, 2013 Susan Commeford rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
As a prequel to the adventures, this book gave us a little more of the background...although a good portion is already part of the first book. I think this would be better served moving this novella and combining it with the first book. Or letting readers know of the novella at the beginning of the first book not at the end of the third. Still, I enjoyed it...mostly because I knew what was coming.
Kelly
Oct 11, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads. It is a short story about a girl who sneaks into her dads computer room to play a prototype game. She gets addicted to it pretty fast but little does she know that she is actually entering Feyland and that her life is in danger.

I liked this short story a lot. With it's fast pace and easy writing style Anthea Sharp succeeded in making me curious about the actual Feyland trilogy.

Very enjoyable and definitely worth reading!
Stacey
Sep 09, 2015 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Jennet a gamer and someone who goes into a world she was not meant to go into ,. what she finds is so much more she learns a lesson and finds out about someone she cares for who also warns her but never heeds their warning . find this in more when you buy this i got this a while back ago and now am reading the Feyland series . love fae a mystery .
Marlene Davis
Sep 08, 2013 Marlene Davis rated it it was amazing
OMG!!! I am a gamer, and this book pulled me in right from the beginning. WOW what a story. I can't wait to read the rest of the series. It was fantastic and I can't tell you how fast I read the book. I couldn't put it down. I kept wanting to see what was next. Two very enthusiastic thumbs way up :) Keep them coming Anthea...they are fantastic.
 Lianne Mei
Aug 17, 2013 Lianne Mei rated it really liked it
It wasn't bad but I read the first book in this series before I read this prequel. So I was prepared for what was going to happen since the first book explained the ending of what happened in this prequel. There wasn't any new information that I gained from reading this prequel that I didn't already know form the first book ( Feyland: The Dark Realm).
Lori Lyn
Mar 19, 2014 Lori Lyn rated it it was amazing
Not my usual read but I am so glad I tried this one by Ms. Sharp! I love her historicals (written as Anthea Lawson) so I'm not surprised she sucked me right into this fantasy short. She is one of the best authors I know of for setting the scene and immediately connecting you to the characters.
Andy  Langford
Jun 02, 2014 Andy Langford rated it really liked it
Really enjoy this prequel to the Feyland Trilogies. The writer has made the sort short & sharp & wanting more. I did want to know more about Thomas & about the book given by him. Will be watching the trilogy for purchase once through my long list of books I have
Big Book Theory
May 10, 2014 Big Book Theory rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this well-written story. It was very descriptive and I could actually imagine it really being a game. Although this is my first faerie fantasy read, I was so engrossed in the story, I read it within a few hours. I look forward to reading the entire series ♥
Meg
Dec 20, 2015 Meg rated it it was amazing
How have I not found this author before?? I loved this and the ending was so perfect and so terrible. More, please.
Bernie
Aug 16, 2013 Bernie rated it really liked it
Short but enjoyable. It makes me want to read the Feyland trilogy. I would also like to play the game.
Aine
May 23, 2013 Aine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So glad to be able to go back to this world for a bit.
Kayla Eklund
Jan 15, 2014 Kayla Eklund rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Diving into the first book ASAP.
Gypsy Madden
Dec 03, 2016 Gypsy Madden rated it really liked it
(I read this as included in The Faery Realms collection). This is a cute straight-forward adventure where a young girl goes into a World-of-Warcraft style VR video game. There wasn’t much to it beyond that. There are a couple of scenes of drama outside of the game with her arguing with her dad, and her not fitting in at school (which made it seem like she was at the age before girls discover boys). While the world of the game was beautifully done, it didn’t have the imagination of ...more
Cheryl
Nov 25, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it
What a great intro into this trilogy...This novella gives a little intro to Jennet and how she comes to entering Feyland... I admit I'd have liked there to be a little bit more, but Book 1 really explains it in detail. Definitely recommend this before book 1...
Mindy
Oct 16, 2016 Mindy rated it it was amazing
Jennet is a typical young girl with too much free time and a bit too much curiosity. She stumbles into The Dark Realm mistaking it for nothing more than a game her father is developing. Not realizing until it's too late that it isn't a game at all but, another realm accessed through the sim equipment.

I just finished reading this and it was way more interesting than I expected. I didn't know if I would like it because of the whole sim game aspect but, it was really enjoyable. I look forward to r
Lauren
Oct 03, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing
The prequel isn’t necessary to the first book, but a definitely entertaining and well written introduction to what happens directly before the beginning of the first book, i.e. the Prologue is actually the last part of the short story.

Also the short story doesn’t look good on Jennet in my opinion, she comes off as an arrogant brat who thinks she’s the best thing with a headset, but is quickly knocked off her high horse with a riddle I guessed correctly right away (not bragging, it’s always my fi
Mike
Jul 23, 2014 Mike rated it liked it
There was nothing actually bad about this book, but there was also nothing fresh, hence the three-star rating.

The premise (a virtual-reality game gives access to the Faerie Realms) has been done before, notably by Clive Barker. The prose is mostly competent - I only spotted a couple of minor errors - and the descriptions are multisensory, but to me it seemed conventional and predictable in its imagery.

The heroine is a rich girl whose worst problem (outside being targeted by the Fairy Queen) is
L. M. Faris
This short story is a freebie prequel to the author's Feyland trilogy, which I bought on the strength of this. It offers an intriguing blend of science fiction and fantasy, set in a near future world that is familiar yet different.

I wish the author had grounded the story in an actual place - I'm guessing this is set in the US, but there are only mentions of places, so it made it harder to properly invest in the story world. The technology is interesting and sounds feasible, particularly in terms
Suzie
Sep 13, 2016 Suzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good quick read.

A really good book if you are looking for a quick read. The concept of mixing gaming and a magical land is a good one and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Eero
Sep 04, 2013 Eero rated it liked it
Shelves: free-ebook, smashwords, ya
This is a short prologue to a trilogy, two of which are in the current StoryBundle. This piece was free on Smashwords. At this length, the story did not win me over totally, but it was competent enough so that I would not be averse to trying the full-length books. The biggest drawback is that this piece does not really work as a self-contained story. A teenaged girl, daughter of wealthy game company executive, plays a virtual reality game which acts as a portal to the titular realm of magic and ...more
K.J. Chapman
This review is featured on Writerly Bookish Stuff.

I gave this book 2.5/5.

I have not read any of the books in the Feyland series, so I went into the prequel with absolutely no knowledge of the world or narrative. The concept is not an original one; virtual reality game gives user access into another realm, but the descriptions were vivid and brought Feyland to life.

Rather than acting like a prequel in its own right, the whole narrative felt more like a prologue for the Feyland series. There was
Alysa H.
Although this short prequel does not contain any spoilers for the first book in the trilogy and could be read beforehand, I believe that the true purpose of any good prequel is to grant further insight into characters and situations with which the reader is already familiar from reading the primary work. Otherwise, why not simply make it Part One?

This story serves that purpose, giving us more backstory about Jennet and how she first came to Feyland. A problem that I had with Book One was actuall
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 05, 2015 09:09AM
The Sword and Laser: High-tech Gaming meets Dark Faeries - permafree! 1 34 Jun 03, 2013 01:59PM
  • Ehriad: A Novella of the Otherworld (The Otherworld Series, #5)
  • The Withering Palace (A Dark Faerie Tale #0.1)
  • Faery Worlds - Six Complete Novels
  • Dark Promise (Between Worlds, #1)
  • A Faerie's Revenge (Creepy Hollow, #5)
  • Give Me (Wyrd and Fae #1)
  • Witch Flame (Keepers of the Stones, #0.5)
  • The Summer of Shambles (Ondine #1)
  • Anais of Brightshire (Blood Mage Chronicles, #1)
  • Foreverland is Dead (Foreverland, #2)
  • My Merlin Series (The Complete Trilogy)
  • A Dragon's Seduction (The Gatekeepers, #1)
  • Fairystruck (Songs of Magic, #3)
  • The Sisters' Grimoire (The Sisters' Grimoire #0.5)
  • Clean Slate Complex (Daynight, #1.5)
  • Once (Gypsy Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Blood of Destiny: Kallen's Tale (Witch Fairy, #6.5)
  • Away With the Fairies
Growing up, Anthea Sharp spent her summers raiding the library shelves and reading, especially fantasy. She now makes her home in the Pacific Northwest, where she writes, plays the fiddle, hangs out in virtual worlds, and spends time with her small-but-good family. Contact her at antheasharp@hotmail.com, follow her on twitter, find her on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/AntheaSharp), and visit h ...more
More about Anthea Sharp...

Feyland (3 books)
  • The Dark Realm (Feyland, #1)
  • Feyland: The Bright Court (Feyland, #2)
  • The Twilight Kingdom (Feyland, #3)