Start by marking “The House at Rose Creek” as Want to Read:
The House at Rose Creek

The House at Rose Creek

Kate Sinclair wasn't planning on inheriting her family's 100-year-old farmhouse. She wasn't even planning on going back to Rose Creek. But when her aunt unexpectedly passes away, leaving her the house, she finds herself forced to confront her past, including the family she hasn't spoken to in years.

When she finds a journal belonging to a distant ancestor in the attic of t
Published July 1st 2013 by Covenant Communications Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The House at Rose Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House at Rose Creek

Kimberly VanderHorst
Jun 06, 2013 Kimberly VanderHorst rated it it was amazing
The House at Rose Creek is as heart-warming as both the title and cover art imply. It doesn't have the artifice that many debut novels do, and at its core is a sincerity that will speak to a broad range of readers.

Woven into Kate's story is a beautiful focus on family history, and how the stories of our ancestors can touch our own lives. Normally, I find such topics a little stodgy and boring, but Proctor brings them to life in a way that feels genuine and relatable. I even got a bit misty more
Lisa
Mar 17, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-lds
This is a lovely book, reminiscent of Mary Stewart's novels (although without the mysterious/magical elements in Stewart's books). I loved the characters and the story--an excellent debut novel by Jenny Proctor, highly recommended for fans of good LDS fiction. The author evokes the small-town North Carolina mountains very well, and doesn't shy away from the negative reactions of family when the protagonist begins investigating the LDS Church. The potentials for romance and conversion and life ch ...more
Jenny Proctor
Jun 05, 2013 Jenny Proctor rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
I'm so very excited about this book. It is near and dear to me in so many ways. It's my first book, which of course makes it special, but it also contains a lot of my heart. I hope you'll read it, and that you enjoy it!
Shanda
**4.5 stars**

The House at Rose Creek is a well-written debut novel with a deeper, more layered story than I expected. While it was definitely a love story, the romance was not always front and center. There was a rediscovering of love of home and family as well as a developing love and respect for those who came before. In a way, there was also a retelling of romance past as the main character reads about Ian and Jennie in his journal.

I didn’t really care for Kate at first but she quickly grew o
Valeriewalz
Jul 15, 2013 Valeriewalz rated it it was amazing
This book has it all! Character conflict, Romance, Religion, Family, Family History, and Character Growth all in the magnificent backdrop of the beautiful Smoky Mountain countryside. Who we are/were, is not who we have to be! Kate (main character)is extremely relatable, likable, and courageous. I found myself rooting for her all the way. For me, the most interesting and captivating parts are the ties to Family History and Kate's spiritual journey. Though I must admit...the sweet romance was such ...more
Verona
Sep 01, 2013 Verona rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone would love this book, I think.
I loved this book! What's not to love! It is set in North Carolina, my home state, it's a sweet romance, it shares my Mormon faith in a natural way. I loved the family aspect of this story. Kate comes to love her family more than she ever thought she could, and her great grandfather Ian Wylie's journal cements that family love with his beautiful, personal journal pages from the 1700's. My love for family history added to my love for this story about the value of journals and families. It brought ...more
Lucinda
Jul 10, 2013 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
I finished reading this today, and loved it. The writing is very well done, and the main characters are attractive and real. Kate's growth is natural, without being preachy or long-suffering. The setting is lovely and I was able to really see the house and the farm, even wished I could go there and visit.
The theme of family- present, past and future- was inspiring and achieved effortlessly, weaving all the characters and their relationships, and involving the reader as well.
The romance parts, a
Lisa
Aug 11, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I loved the saying "Wherever you walk, walk with God" and I thought that set a nice pace to the story. I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of romance, family history, contention, togetherness and forgiveness. It all blended nicely into a very interesting story about Kate and how she finally finds what she's been missing all her life and didn't even know it. Great job for a debut novel. Looking forward to another. Maybe Ian and Jennie's story or Ian's parents, both of which could be interesting.
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
If you are into family history then this is the book for you! I felt like that was more the theme than anything else! There was a little bit of romance and a whole lot of conversion to the LDS faith! :)
Emily
Mar 13, 2014 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
While competently written and fairly pleasant to read, I can't imagine any audience for this book beyond active Latter-day Saints.

Kate Sinclair is an orphan. When her parents died in a car accident when she was 7 or so, she went to live with her aunt and cousins - one of whom, Leslie, is very close to her in age - in a small town in North Carolina and became part of their family. When she grew up, she left the small town for the big city, becoming a powerful career woman, neglecting her family b
Shauna
Jul 13, 2013 Shauna rated it it was amazing
Immediate family and extended family.
Saying words that hurt and that are forgiven.
Restoration of a house and of a faith.
Putting behind personal pasts and looking to the future.
Learning about family history and keeping it alive.
Finding love and never letting go.

All the wonderful things that make a book stay with you long after you have turned that last page!

Kate was happy with where she was and with what she was doing. She had been away from home and family for a very long time telling them that
Kathryn
Jul 04, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it
What an enjoyable read that encouraged me to remember " there is value in reaching out and reaching back, remembering those who live before. " I liked that the storyline involved the emotional journey of loss, but shows the realistic struggle of coping, finding happiness in love and in life's purpose. There was a religious journey as well for those of you who don't like compelling conversion stories, you still have a good balance here.

I really liked the journal entries that were found by Kate S
Laree
Jun 06, 2013 Laree rated it it was amazing
I love that this didn't read like a first novel. It was well developed, great dialog, believable plot.

There is one fact that she messed up, but other than that it couldn't have been much better

(if you're wondering, it's the wedding date. She specifically states that Kate is baptized on one sunday, and then confirmed a week later. Then she has them getting married on the anniversary of her baptism. But the rule is you have to be a MEMBER for a year, and you aren't a member until you've been confi
Elizabeth Reid
Aug 26, 2013 Elizabeth Reid rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
Braden Bell
Jun 24, 2013 Braden Bell rated it it was amazing
Jenny has a warm, engaging voice and is particularly gifted with setting. The house almost becomes a character because it is described in such a beautiful way. The same with the location of the story--I very much felt that I was there.

The book is a clean romance and is geared towards Mormon female readers, but there is more to the book than the romance, describing as it does the protagonists spiritual journey and conversion to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The theme of family,
Lara
Jun 07, 2013 Lara rated it really liked it
Such a lovely story.

I was impressed with the depth of the subject matter. The author was able to delve into several different themes in a thorough way without detracting from the story and while still holding my interest.

I loved Kate, even though I didn't always agree with the way she handled things. I really loved Andrew, and wished I could hear more from his point of view. But most of all, I loved Ian. I loved the bits and pieces of his journal and the way they spoke to Kate and guided her thr
Heather
Aug 13, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
I loved how descriptive every aspect was, from the house to the museum worker. She took the time to make sure the reader could envision every aspect of the story. It was a great combination of romance, mystery, spirituality, and history. I was sucked in from the very first page and couldn't wait to read more! I really appreciated the ending so the reader finished Kate's journey with her. I seriously couldn't put this book down! I received it on Saturday and had finished it by Sunday night! Defin ...more
Cathy
Jul 31, 2013 Cathy rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! I really liked Kate from the very beginning of the book. I liked that she was willing to try to fix mistakes that she had made, even though she knew that it was going to be very hard. I liked that she had the courage to go and try, and that even when life tried to knock her down, she was able to get back up and keep going. I liked the bit of romance that this book held, it was just enough. Kate's journey should serve to remind us all of what's important in life and what we ...more
Debbie
Sep 22, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it
This was a great story. A beloved aunt and mother dies. She leaves her old farmhouse to her niece, which makes for some hard feelings from some of the family. The niece lives and works in New York. She meets one of the people who live in the town of Rose Creek, where her aunt lived, and starts to have feelings for him. The old house is also in danger of being torn down to make way for a highway. I really liked this book, as did my daughter.
Peggy
Aug 15, 2013 Peggy rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction, romance
Coming on the heels of another LDS fiction book that was only ok, this one was so enjoyable--realistic conversation, likable characters, not too preachy. It restores my faith in LDS fiction writers. There was one situation where there seemed to be an obvious solution to a major problem and yet the experts in the book didn't think of until later. Other than that I really enjoyed it.
Stephanie
Jun 06, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This was a happy read. I liked Kate's flawed spunk, wished I knew Andrew better, and loved the wise and witty Aunt Linny. If you like generational stories or shows like "Who do you think you are?," you'll love this story. It is almost an accidental romance; the standout themes for me were family, forgiveness, and conversion. A great debut novel for the LDS market.
Robbin Peterson
Dec 11, 2013 Robbin Peterson rated it really liked it
I read this book over a month ago and I find myself still reflecting on it every now and then. I love books that build your faith and remind us that God has a plan for all His children. This book validated thoughts and feelings I have about the gospel and helped me remember the precious gift that it is. The characters felt real to me, even the ancestors who had passed on. Beautiful book.
Alice
Aug 26, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspiring-books
I really enjoyed this book. It took me right to the heart of my mission in North Carolina. It is a great story about a lady discovering her ancestral roots and finding herself along the way. The author even references my hometown of Twin Falls, Idaho. This is the first book from this author and I look forward to reading more from her.
Jul 17, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Well written characters. I loved the family history elements of the book. A satisfying read.
Cindy
Sep 06, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
What a delightful read. Part family drama, part family history, part religious, part romance, all lovely. I will freely recommend this to anyone!
Tami
Jul 14, 2013 Tami rated it it was amazing
Great first novel. The family dynamics are very well written and so recognizable.
I look forward to more stories about this family. Thanks Jenny Proctor.. Well done.
Mindy
Aug 08, 2013 Mindy rated it really liked it
Great book about family history and following the spirit.
Kate
May 03, 2017 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
I grew up as the daughter of a professional family history researcher, so this book's family history angle really was interesting to me. I enjoyed seeing how Kate (nice name, by the way!) was able to make a connection with her ancestor, Ian, and how Ian's journal helped her figure out some pretty important stuff in figuring out who she wanted to be.
I liked the bit of romance with Andrew, too, and appreciated that it was understated rather than over-the-top. At its heart, this book was about heal
Margaret
May 22, 2017 Margaret rated it really liked it
It was a nice story. I particularly liked the family history aspect of it. Feeling the connection to our ancestors is so sweet.
Marie
  • My Loving Vigil Keeping
  • Unexpected
  • Montana Summer
  • Chances Are
Jenny Proctor was born in the mountains of Western North Carolina, a place she still resides and considers the loveliest on earth. She hikes to spend time with her family, runs because her love for food requires it, and writes because it keeps her calm in an otherwise crazy world. She believes that life in the south has a certain flair to it--and works to capture that flair in her novels.
More about Jenny Proctor...