Start by marking “The Army of Light (Kestrel Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Army of Light (Kestrel Saga, #1)

The Army of Light (Kestrel Saga #1)

It had started with an attack on a research station near the frontier region, the furthest portion of the Outer Sphere of Unified space. Then, one by one, subsequent border systems began to fall victim to the unknown attackers.

The Kafaran had arrived.

The fighting raged on for nearly five years. Tens of thousands of military personnel perished, and millions of innocent bein
Published June 2013 by Jolly Rogers Productions

To ask other readers questions about The Army of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Army of Light

The Republic of Thieves by Scott LynchA Memory of Light by Robert JordanEmperor of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceThe Daylight War by Peter V. BrettThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
Can't Wait Sci-Fi/Fantasy of 2013
386th out of 621 books — 3,279 voters
Alien Species Intervention by J.K. AccinniEvil Among Us by J.K. AccinniEcho by J.K. AccinniHive by J.K. AccinniArmageddon Cometh by J.K. Accinni
Science Fiction
13th out of 35 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

malynosorozec
Sep 04, 2013 malynosorozec rated it really liked it
„Wszyscy zdają się przeoczać fakt, iż mityczny Feniks, po to, aby mógł narodzić się ponownie ze swych popiołów, musiał najpierw spłonąć…”

Akcja książki dzieje się w XXIV wieku, głównie na planecie Minos. Głównym bohaterem jest Shawn Kestrel, były pilot wojskowy, bohater niedawnej wielkiej wojny, obecnie prowadzący swój własny biznes transportowy. Interesy nie idą zbyt dobrze, Shawn czasem musi imać się nie do końca legalnych zleceń. Podczas jednego z kursów zostaje zaatakowany przez piratów (kosm
Lynda Dietz
Sep 08, 2013 Lynda Dietz rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It satisfied my search for space fiction, adventure, and witty dialogue.

Not only is it fun, but it's clean. Anyone in my family (youngest is 13) can read it and I'm not worried about what they'll find, and yet it doesn't fall into the category so many books do, where the author thinks clean = sappy. No sappy stuff here, that's for sure.

The main character, Shawn Kestrel, is a trader and a smart aleck, which gets him into trouble more often than not; and the female lead
Trevor
Aug 05, 2016 Trevor rated it liked it
A good start to the Kestrel space opera saga. Good character interaction, which sets the story up nicely. This is not a stand alone book and the story stops with out any conclusions. I notice that you can buy all three books in one edition, this is probably the best option.
Brooks
Aug 06, 2013 Brooks rated it it was amazing
Had a few swear words, mostly the d, h, and g words. Not a super suspenseful sci-fi novel. A kissing scene and some crude humor, but lots of good humor too. Unique characters as well.
Jack Beaman
Aug 27, 2015 Jack Beaman rated it liked it
I must confess, I’m not usually a fan of sci-fi books, and I haven’t read a vast amount. However in this case, I found myself enjoying the introduction to Shawn Kestrel. It wasn’t too exposition-heavy in the opening chapters, despite forming the introduction to a series, something which can often be a difficult line to tread. The easy, realistic dialogue kept the plot moving at a good pace, and made the book very easy to read. There were interesting characters with nicely subtle hints at their ...more
Kristy
Jul 09, 2014 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, the main character's relationship reminds me of a certain scoundrel and princess but I enjoy that dynamic so I don't mind.

This first book was mostly introductory and didn't really move the plot much (a lot of character building instead) but it set up for an interesting story with likable characters and witty dialogue and I'm looking forward to the next one. Onto book 2!
Steve Canipe
incomplete

I don't like teaser books that are like serials. It is fine to leave part of the story untold but the to be continued is not acceptable especially when pit was not understood from the beginning.
Dean
Dean rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Shari
Shari rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Athena
Athena rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Ron
Ron rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2014
Damon
Damon rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Stef
Stef rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Rich
Rich rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Helene Engel
Helene Engel rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2013
Brett
Brett rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Fiannawolf
Fiannawolf rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Frederick
Frederick rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2014
Stephen Fender
Nov 24, 2013 Stephen Fender rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Mark Stuurman
Mark Stuurman rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Sarah BetaReader
Sarah BetaReader rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2013
Glynn Stewart
Glynn Stewart rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Kelley Jacobs
Kelley Jacobs rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Sheryn
Sheryn rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
David L Mashburn
David L Mashburn rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2014
Kym Enlow
Kym Enlow rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Price of Admiralty (Battlecruiser Alamo, #1)
  • Dryad
  • Ranger (Exodus: Empires at War, #5)
  • Messenger (AMP, #1)
  • Empire of Bones (Empire of Bones Saga, #1)
  • Orders is Orders
  • Admiral's Tribulation (Spineward Sectors, #3)
  • The Time Hunters and the Spear of Fate (Time Hunters, #3)
  • The Starlight Fortress
  • Who's 50: The 50 Doctor Who Stories to Watch Before You Die - An Unofficial Companion
  • Teardrops In The Night Sky (Steven Gordon Series,#1)
  • Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)
  • Mission Zero (Fourth Fleet Irregulars #1)
  • Yorktown  (Katana Krieger, #1)
  • Ships of My Fathers (Father Chessman Saga, #1)
  • Wolfhound
  • First Conquest (Stellar Conquest, #1)
  • Dangerous Waters: A Young Woman's Perilous Journey of Adventure and Romance, from the California Pacific to the Mexican Caribbean.
Born and raised in Southern California, Stephen A. Fender joined the Navy at the age of 18. During his last deployment in 1999, he decided to take up the keyboard and write his first story.

Since that time, he's produced seven novels, the first of which was published in June of 2013.

Stephen lives in the Pacific Northwest with his wife.
More about Stephen A. Fender...

Kestrel Saga (6 books)
  • Icarus (Kestrel Saga, #2)
  • Second Earth (Kestrel Saga, #3)
  • In The Presence Of My Enemies (Kestrel Saga #4)
  • The Kestrel Saga
  • Dark Space, (Kestrel Saga #5)