False Profits (Tucker Sinclair, #1)

False Profits (Tucker Sinclair #1)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  28 reviews
- Featuring a fresh new voice and cast of characters, False Profits will appeal to the same audience who made bestsellers of the novels by Janet Evanovich.
Published September 3rd 2007 by Mysterious Press (first published November 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about False Profits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Profits

Courtney Duncan
I just finished this book this morning, having started it the day before yesterday- so, YES, it's an easy read. I always try to trade off between books- heavy, light, heavy, light...so this one appeared to fall into the lighter category. I will say, though, this book is not as simple as if first appears- there is a lot of technical, business-type stuff in the beginning that I found a little off putting. Maybe it was just me and my head being too full of crap already, but I found myself not wanti...more
Mark Baker
Business consultant Tucker Sinclair finds her career in danger when a client substitutes a new business plan for the one she created. Then he turns up in the Pacific Ocean. Can she solve the murder and save her career? I loved the LA setting, but found the mystery a little slow going and the characters a little light.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Robert
I know Patty in passing from attending Sisters in Crime (where she is immediate past president of the L.A. chapter), and thought I would read some of her books. I enjoyed this one a lot. Good characters, original situations, a credible "wrong (wo)man" sort of plot, and good writing. What's not to like?
Kristen
The hero, Tucker Sinclair, is a feisty management consultant who needs to solve a mysteries to clear her name. It seems like a good start to the series. My concern is that many of Tucker's actions are after a Nobody-thinks-this-is-a-good-idea-not-even-myself-but-I-am-going-to-do-it-away debate, which gets a little old. Overall, I good fun mystery with interesting characters and the making of a cute funny police sidekick. Look forward to reading the second book, Cover Your Assets.
Rachel
Foul language in moments of duress in this book. Also, I figured out the killer's identity about 50 pages before the end and way before the main character did. Why do amateurs always figure that they can't tell the cops anything because they are too stupid or lazy to do real thinking? The cops were on their way to arrest the killer when she was getting into his boat (AND before she figured out he was the killer!).
Jamie
This is the first in a three books so far series. Very Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum-ish just not quite up to that par. It's about a financial lady who solves a crime with some humor and quirky characters. Gotta love a heroine who feeds her dogs McDonald's, peanut butter,etc. Not the best story ever but it was enough for me to read the rest in the series and the books got better from here.
Dee
I liked this author's sense of humor. She made me laugh out loud.
This wasn't the best edge-of-your seat detective/mystery, but I'm still interested in reading the 2nd book, Cover Your Assets, in the series.
The protagonist, Tucker Sinclair, is similar to Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, but she certainly doesn't take Sephanie's place for zany.
Joe O'c
Good; Continuing character: Tucker Sinclair (first in series); finance consultant is pulled into murder case after writing up business plan for victim; a bit convoluted and trying to be Evanovich-like; might be worth one more try.
T
With more than a few characters doing something wrong but not necessarily murder this mystery managed to keep me guessing through most of the book. I'll definitely try another novel by Smiley featuring Tucker Sinclair again.
Jessie
I chose these books because of the comment on the front from author Janet Evanovich. I felt like it was a Janet Evanovich wannabe and didn't quite cut it. I read it anyway though and because it's summer...will read the others.
Frances Kelly
I have read the whole Tucker Sinclair series. I love her backstory, her relationship with her mother, and her house on the beach. Really clever story lines and characters who come to feel like your old friends.
Jane
I enjoyed this book as it reminded me of the Grafton and Evanovich series of lady detectives. I see promise of more character development and antics in the books to follow.
Robin
Who ever stated this book was similar to Evanovich obviously never read any of her books. This book was rather boring and lacked all of Evanovichs funny/ witty writing style.
Mary
It was fun to read a book by an old high school classmate. The book is set in the Los Angeles basin, so I knew the territory.
Roseanne
This was a fun read with many twists and turns. I liked the main character and her great comments.
Teena in Toronto
It wasn't a bad read - it was slow in some parts but has the possibility to become a good series.
Vicki
Predictable but entertaining with a decent cast of supporting characters.
Laurie Stoll
I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun and entertaining read.
Kathi
I liked it - look forward to more books from this author
Claire
Cute, funny read. Forgot it as soon as I finished it.
Carol
I really enjoyed this murder mystery!!!!
Lauren

Great read! I really enjoyed it.
Melissa
Book #61 read in 2009

Okay for a first novel.
Cora Mihara
a real pageturner. darn good book.
colleen
Angela
Feb 2012
Jackie Simons
Read 2/05
Patricia Smiley earned a BA in Sociology from the University of Washington in Seattle. She also holds an MBA with honors from Pepperdine University in Malibu, California. Her debut novel FALSE PROFITS about Los Angeles management consultant Tucker Sinclair received a starred review from Booklist and was a Book Sense recommendation. Her follow-up novel COVER YOUR ASSETS was a RomanticTimes Top Pick...more
More about Patricia Smiley...
Cover Your Assets (Tucker Sinclair, #2) Short Change (Tucker Sinclair, #3) Cool Cache (Tucker Sinclair, #4) Cool Cache: A Tucker Sinclair Mystery (Tucker Sinclair Mysteries) Effective Schooling for English Language Learners: What Elementary Principals Should Know and Do