Start by marking “False Profits (Tucker Sinclair, #1)” as Want to Read:
False Profits (Tucker Sinclair, #1)

False Profits (Tucker Sinclair #1)

- Featuring a fresh new voice and cast of characters, False Profits will appeal to the same audience who made bestsellers of the novels by Janet Evanovich.
Published September 3rd 2007 by Mysterious Press (first published November 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about False Profits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Profits

Danm
Feb 19, 2016 Danm rated it really liked it
Based on the cover, I didn't expect much. I had even regretted picking it up after a monthly visit to Goodwill when returning stuff we don't need. However, this was one of those rare cases where you really shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

Let me first clarify that this book won't be for everyone. It's not a definitely-recommend four-star book. I gave it four stars because it captures your attention from the beginning and never lets go. It's a fun read with a witty and humorous protagonist. Th
Robin
Oct 21, 2012 Robin rated it it was ok
Who ever stated this book was similar to Evanovich obviously never read any of her books. This book was rather boring and lacked all of Evanovichs funny/ witty writing style.
Susan
OK. I did not really finish this one. I: could not warm up to the protagonist, who claims to have full ethics but then also seems to do almost whatever it takes to keep a client and get partnership (though I do believe not what she was accused of - if nothing else then there would be no book); hated the setting in which she worked (the corporate 'jungle'), and I now feel the need to do an energy cleanse from reading about it; disliked her friends; dislike the impulsive self-destructive behaviour ...more
Courtney Duncan
May 29, 2014 Courtney Duncan rated it liked it
I just finished this book this morning, having started it the day before yesterday- so, YES, it's an easy read. I always try to trade off between books- heavy, light, heavy, light...so this one appeared to fall into the lighter category. I will say, though, this book is not as simple as if first appears- there is a lot of technical, business-type stuff in the beginning that I found a little off putting. Maybe it was just me and my head being too full of crap already, but I found myself not wanti ...more
Tricia Riley
This book was ok but I think I had built it up because it had been recommended by the author of the Stephanie Plum series. I was expecting something very similar to this.

Basically Tucker is a management consultant who is framed for something she didn't do and goes on the hunt to get her reputation back. Along the way someone gets murdered and she is suddenly investigating that.

There was a strong sassy female protagonist who seems to find herself in trouble all the time and a sexy cop. Having sai
Rachel
Oct 13, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok
Foul language in moments of duress in this book. Also, I figured out the killer's identity about 50 pages before the end and way before the main character did. Why do amateurs always figure that they can't tell the cops anything because they are too stupid or lazy to do real thinking? The cops were on their way to arrest the killer when she was getting into his boat (AND before she figured out he was the killer!).
L8blmr
Sep 02, 2015 L8blmr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am actually glad that I began reading this series with book #2 (nearly 2 years ago), because had my choice been based on this book, I might not have pursued this author any further. I do enjoy some of her writing; her main character speaks snarky sarcasm fluently, though she didn't always use it in the wisest manner. I have one book left to read before I have to decide whether to track down any more Tucker Sinclair stories.
Mark Baker
Mar 03, 2014 Mark Baker rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2007
Business consultant Tucker Sinclair finds her career in danger when a client substitutes a new business plan for the one she created. Then he turns up in the Pacific Ocean. Can she solve the murder and save her career? I loved the LA setting, but found the mystery a little slow going and the characters a little light.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Kristen
Aug 31, 2007 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The hero, Tucker Sinclair, is a feisty management consultant who needs to solve a mysteries to clear her name. It seems like a good start to the series. My concern is that many of Tucker's actions are after a Nobody-thinks-this-is-a-good-idea-not-even-myself-but-I-am-going-to-do-it-away debate, which gets a little old. Overall, I good fun mystery with interesting characters and the making of a cute funny police sidekick. Look forward to reading the second book, Cover Your Assets.
Robert
Feb 03, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it
I know Patty in passing from attending Sisters in Crime (where she is immediate past president of the L.A. chapter), and thought I would read some of her books. I enjoyed this one a lot. Good characters, original situations, a credible "wrong (wo)man" sort of plot, and good writing. What's not to like?
Jamie
Aug 06, 2008 Jamie rated it really liked it
This is the first in a three books so far series. Very Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum-ish just not quite up to that par. It's about a financial lady who solves a crime with some humor and quirky characters. Gotta love a heroine who feeds her dogs McDonald's, peanut butter,etc. Not the best story ever but it was enough for me to read the rest in the series and the books got better from here.
Dee
Apr 04, 2013 Dee rated it really liked it
I liked this author's sense of humor. She made me laugh out loud.
This wasn't the best edge-of-your seat detective/mystery, but I'm still interested in reading the 2nd book, Cover Your Assets, in the series.
The protagonist, Tucker Sinclair, is similar to Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, but she certainly doesn't take Sephanie's place for zany.
Frances Scott
Dec 05, 2012 Frances Scott rated it really liked it
I have read the whole Tucker Sinclair series. I love her backstory, her relationship with her mother, and her house on the beach. Really clever story lines and characters who come to feel like your old friends.
Joe O'c
Sep 05, 2009 Joe O'c rated it it was ok
Good; Continuing character: Tucker Sinclair (first in series); finance consultant is pulled into murder case after writing up business plan for victim; a bit convoluted and trying to be Evanovich-like; might be worth one more try.
T
Apr 20, 2009 T rated it liked it
With more than a few characters doing something wrong but not necessarily murder this mystery managed to keep me guessing through most of the book. I'll definitely try another novel by Smiley featuring Tucker Sinclair again.
Jessie
Jul 21, 2008 Jessie rated it liked it
I chose these books because of the comment on the front from author Janet Evanovich. I felt like it was a Janet Evanovich wannabe and didn't quite cut it. I read it anyway though and because it's summer...will read the others.
Jane
Jan 28, 2016 Jane rated it liked it
Enjoyed, especially the smartass remarks.
Jasmine
Dec 05, 2012 Jasmine rated it liked it
good
Wendy
Oct 18, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
cute
Cora Mihara
Mar 02, 2013 Cora Mihara rated it really liked it
a real pageturner. darn good book.
Kshydog
Jan 19, 2012 Kshydog rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-already
Light mystery
Lauren
Sep 30, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it

Great read! I really enjoyed it.
Jane
Sep 11, 2010 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-book-club
I enjoyed this book as it reminded me of the Grafton and Evanovich series of lady detectives. I see promise of more character development and antics in the books to follow.
Carol
Jan 08, 2009 Carol rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this murder mystery!!!!
Melissa
Dec 04, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2009
Book #61 read in 2009

Okay for a first novel.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it it was ok
It wasn't a bad read - it was slow in some parts but has the possibility to become a good series.
Kathi
Jul 25, 2008 Kathi rated it liked it
I liked it - look forward to more books from this author
Claire
Jan 10, 2008 Claire rated it it was ok
Cute, funny read. Forgot it as soon as I finished it.
Patti Smith
Shelves: california, mystery
Great start on series - enjoyed and plan to read #2
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Dating is Murder
  • Exposé (Sally Harrington, #1)
  • Dressed to Keel (A Darcy Cavanaugh Mystery #1)
  • In for a Penny (Bay Tanner, #1)
  • A Dose of Murder (Pauline Sokol, #1)
  • Dating Can Be Murder (Samantha Shaw Mystery, #1)
  • Boo
  • Dead Days of Summer (Death on Demand, #17)
  • Drag Strip
  • Futures: Four Novellas
  • Nursery Crimes (A Mommy-Track Mystery, #1)
  • Perfect Sax (Madeline Bean, #6)
  • Stumble, Gorgeous
  • Out of Sight
  • Murder Among Friends (Kate Austen, #2)
  • Bobbie Faye's Whacked Out, No Good, Really Sucky, Hot Mess of a Wedding
  • Till the Cows Come Home (Stella Crown Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Guy's Stuff (Jane Wheel, #2)
Patricia Smiley is the author of four novels, featuring amateur sleuth Tucker Sinclair. PACIFIC HOMICIDE is the first in a new series about Los Angeles Police Department homicide detective Davie Richards and is based on her 15-year stint as a volunteer for the LAPD. The second book in the series OUTSIDE THE WIRE will debut on November 8, 2017.

Patty's short fiction has appeared in Ellery Queen Myst
More about Patricia Smiley...

Tucker Sinclair (4 books)
  • Cover Your Assets (Tucker Sinclair, #2)
  • Short Change (Tucker Sinclair, #3)
  • Cool Cache (Tucker Sinclair, #4)