Start by marking “The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Girl-Thing Who Wen...

Pat Cadigan

The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Published 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi

Redshirts by John ScalziBlackout by Mira GrantIn Sea-Salt Tears by Seanan McGuire2312 by Kim Stanley RobinsonCaptain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold
Hugo Award Nominees 2013
18th out of 26 books — 21 voters
The Bicentennial Man and Other Stories by Isaac AsimovShoggoths in Bloom and other stories by Elizabeth BearThe Lady Astronaut of Mars by Mary Robinette KowalHell is the Absence of God by Ted ChiangGoat Song by Poul Anderson
Hugo Award Winners: Best Novelette
16th out of 40 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Andreas
This Hard SF novelette was originially published in Edge of Infinity and won the Hugo and Locus novelette awards 2013. I've read it as part of The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirtieth Annual Collection.
She tells the story set a couple of generations in the future solar system from the perspective of a transhuman octopus - one form of the eponymous "sushi" - mining, building and cleaning up around Jupiter's orbit. It is about stellar politics - the inner "Dirt" planets versus the outer sushi pl
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Nominated for the 2013 Hugo Award for novelette.

I really like this story for the questions it asks. Would you change your species to survive in space?

And going out for sushi isn't what you think. Definitely worth the read, and I'm still thinking.
Sunil
Jun 11, 2013 Sunil rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
An impressive amount of worldbuilding for a novelette. Clever, original premise with a good sense of humor from its narrator. Although it was hard to follow, I enjoyed the detailed zaniness of it all, which is actually treated pretty seriously for such an oddball premise.
Norman Cook
In the future, humans have the capability to surgically alter themselves into “sushi,” with specialized bodies able to withstand the rigors of spaceflight. “Going out for sushi” is slang for making the conversion. A crew of sushi near Jupiter is waiting to witness a comet impact the gas giant, while a human makes plans to go out for sushi. This story seemed to be an excerpt from a novel or series because there’s a lot of slang and politics that the writer seemed to think didn’t need defining, so ...more
Jon
So you see, "went out for sushi" actually means "had surgical adaptation for living around the solar system's gas giants." And "girl-thing" means, well, "woman" as far as I can tell, but in the slang of the "sushi".

I find this amount of jargon in the title of a story (novelette) off-putting, and the story itself is filled with it. Also, the ending falls into the trap of, "this would be surprising if I were familiar enough with the setting to care."

I kind of liked the characters and the setting,
Dan
I read this as part of the EDGE OF INFINITY collection, edited by Jonathan Strahan. For only about 50 pages, this story packs a lot of world-building and intriguing characters. The downside I found was the futuristic jargon that was left "assumed" on the part of the reader, most of which wasn't explained. While this is realistic on the part of the characters, I found myself a little confused.

All in all, a good story and a fascinating world. I hope that Pat Cadigan continues writing in this unive
Mark
Probably one of the weirdest and yet most satisfying short stories I've ever read. I knew this was going to be a hard sci-fi tale going in and this tale needs a new genre. Something like Hardest Sci-fi maybe? I didn't rate it high, mainly because it feels like it was written for teens when teens barely ever read this style of sci-fi, but I encourage anyone who likes hard sci-fi to read this. It's strange and unique and for some reason it makes sense... in the future anyway.
A.J.
Read for the 2013 Hugos.

This was an very interesting world, and I liked the light tone of the writing. Several of the other stories in this Hugo category were dark and depressing. Unfortunately, as much as I like the narrator, I couldn't bring myself to be interested in the politics of the story. As a result, it sort of fell flat for me.
Tammy
As Fry, the Girl-Thing says, it's about doing the best you can with the tools available. But it's also about reaching out and grabbing the tools you need, even if that means making yourself into a tool. And that's the story of how Fry, a featherless biped genius beauty queen, went out for sushi and tried to make a new world.
Jen
I got this as part of the Hugo nomination packet. If I was more of a hardcore sci-fi fiction addict, I'd have given this 5 stars. As it is, I still enjoyed it and wouldn't mind seeing more of this world, though the dialect style made me a little crazy. Maybe a different POV and longer time and I'd be head-over-heels.
Stephanie
Read as part of the 2013 Hugo packet.

There's nothing wrong with this per se - there's some impressive worldbuilding, certainly, but I didn't connect with anything beyond that. Can see the skill, but just not resonating deeper for me.
Julie
Eh. Interesting voice and vivid, unique world-building, but I didn't feel for the characters, it was really hard to get into the lingo & language, and after so much faffing about, it doesn't really go anywhere.
Pkelsay
Part of the Hugo packet. My favorite part was the satisfyingly pithy worldbuilding. Clever of the author to make the main human character less empathizable than the octopus-thing narrator.
One of the most unique stories I've read in awhile. I guess cephalopods are more physiologically adapted for deep space work because they don't have bones?
Jacinda
On first reading I couldn't parse the first couple paragraphs of this story, but once I got past that I really enjoyed it.
Michele
I reread this and really liked it this time. It has some Weird influence and is extremely well written and edited.
Jon
Trevlig värld i små hintar, men aningen mycket skum världs-jargong som man får klura på själv.
Amy
Is this just a one-off? 'Cause I'd love to read more about cephalopods in space!
Ed
The world building was impressive but overwhelming.
Jill Carroll
Exhilarating kick to the head.
Tanya Spackman
Very creative, kind of confusing.
Dione Basseri
Dione Basseri marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Eva Whitley
Eva Whitley marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Bojan
Bojan marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Jude
Jude marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
John Huddleston
John Huddleston marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Pat Cadigan is an American-born science fiction author, who broke through as a major writer as part of the cyberpunk movement. Her early novels and stories all shared a common theme, exploring the relationship between the human mind and technology.

Her first novel, Mindplayers, introduced what became a common theme to all her works. Her stories blurred the line between reality and perception by mak
More about Pat Cadigan...
Synners Tea from an Empty Cup (Artificial Reality Division, #1) Mindplayers Fools Patterns