Start by marking “The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Girl-Thing Who Wen...

Pat Cadigan

The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Published 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi

Sandkings by George R.R. MartinThe Last Castle by Jack VanceThe Lady Astronaut of Mars by Mary Robinette KowalThe Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi by Pat CadiganShoggoths in Bloom and Other Stories by Elizabeth Bear
Hugo Award Winners: Best Novelette
4th out of 51 books — 8 voters
Redshirts by John ScalziBlackout by Mira GrantIn Sea-Salt Tears by Seanan McGuire2312 by Kim Stanley RobinsonCaptain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold
Hugo Award Nominees 2013
18th out of 26 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Andreas
This Hard SF novelette was originially published in Edge of Infinity and won the Hugo and Locus novelette awards 2013. I've read it as part of The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirtieth Annual Collection.
She tells the story set a couple of generations in the future solar system from the perspective of a transhuman octopus - one form of the eponymous "sushi" - mining, building and cleaning up around Jupiter's orbit. It is about stellar politics - the inner "Dirt" planets versus the outer sushi pl
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Nominated for the 2013 Hugo Award for novelette.

I really like this story for the questions it asks. Would you change your species to survive in space?

And going out for sushi isn't what you think. Definitely worth the read, and I'm still thinking.
Jeremy Preacher
May 21, 2015 Jeremy Preacher rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, short-stories
One of the things I always love about Pat Cadigan is her ear for slang. "Girl-Thing" starts off with a bunch of rhythmic but totally unclear jargon that clarifies via context as necessary, giving the story a distinct sense of place and culture. The various modified people are super neat - space-dwelling octopus sounds like a resume line I wouldn't mind having - and the narrator is delightful.

I particularly like the positioning of Jovian culture as a thing distinct from any of its neighbors. Too
Sunil
Jun 11, 2013 Sunil rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
An impressive amount of worldbuilding for a novelette. Clever, original premise with a good sense of humor from its narrator. Although it was hard to follow, I enjoyed the detailed zaniness of it all, which is actually treated pretty seriously for such an oddball premise.
Norman Cook
Jul 28, 2013 Norman Cook rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
In the future, humans have the capability to surgically alter themselves into “sushi,” with specialized bodies able to withstand the rigors of spaceflight. “Going out for sushi” is slang for making the conversion. A crew of sushi near Jupiter is waiting to witness a comet impact the gas giant, while a human makes plans to go out for sushi. This story seemed to be an excerpt from a novel or series because there’s a lot of slang and politics that the writer seemed to think didn’t need defining, so ...more
Jon
Jul 13, 2013 Jon rated it it was ok
So you see, "went out for sushi" actually means "had surgical adaptation for living around the solar system's gas giants." And "girl-thing" means, well, "woman" as far as I can tell, but in the slang of the "sushi".

I find this amount of jargon in the title of a story (novelette) off-putting, and the story itself is filled with it. Also, the ending falls into the trap of, "this would be surprising if I were familiar enough with the setting to care."

I kind of liked the characters and the setting,
Daniel
Sep 02, 2013 Daniel rated it liked it
I read this as part of the EDGE OF INFINITY collection, edited by Jonathan Strahan. For only about 50 pages, this story packs a lot of world-building and intriguing characters. The downside I found was the futuristic jargon that was left "assumed" on the part of the reader, most of which wasn't explained. While this is realistic on the part of the characters, I found myself a little confused.

All in all, a good story and a fascinating world. I hope that Pat Cadigan continues writing in this unive
Mark
Nov 05, 2013 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2013
Probably one of the weirdest and yet most satisfying short stories I've ever read. I knew this was going to be a hard sci-fi tale going in and this tale needs a new genre. Something like Hardest Sci-fi maybe? I didn't rate it high, mainly because it feels like it was written for teens when teens barely ever read this style of sci-fi, but I encourage anyone who likes hard sci-fi to read this. It's strange and unique and for some reason it makes sense... in the future anyway.
A.J.
Jun 27, 2013 A.J. rated it liked it
Shelves: hugos-2013
Read for the 2013 Hugos.

This was an very interesting world, and I liked the light tone of the writing. Several of the other stories in this Hugo category were dark and depressing. Unfortunately, as much as I like the narrator, I couldn't bring myself to be interested in the politics of the story. As a result, it sort of fell flat for me.
Tammy
Jun 28, 2013 Tammy rated it liked it
As Fry, the Girl-Thing says, it's about doing the best you can with the tools available. But it's also about reaching out and grabbing the tools you need, even if that means making yourself into a tool. And that's the story of how Fry, a featherless biped genius beauty queen, went out for sushi and tried to make a new world.
Jen
Aug 06, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
I got this as part of the Hugo nomination packet. If I was more of a hardcore sci-fi fiction addict, I'd have given this 5 stars. As it is, I still enjoyed it and wouldn't mind seeing more of this world, though the dialect style made me a little crazy. Maybe a different POV and longer time and I'd be head-over-heels.
Stephanie
Jul 03, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2013
Read as part of the 2013 Hugo packet.

There's nothing wrong with this per se - there's some impressive worldbuilding, certainly, but I didn't connect with anything beyond that. Can see the skill, but just not resonating deeper for me.
Julie
Jun 18, 2013 Julie rated it it was ok
Eh. Interesting voice and vivid, unique world-building, but I didn't feel for the characters, it was really hard to get into the lingo & language, and after so much faffing about, it doesn't really go anywhere.
Pkelsay
Jun 19, 2013 Pkelsay rated it really liked it
Part of the Hugo packet. My favorite part was the satisfyingly pithy worldbuilding. Clever of the author to make the main human character less empathizable than the octopus-thing narrator.
Aug 29, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: tossed, ebook
This is a very interesting short story about a Jupiter miners, comets, surgical transformation as a statement, first contact and colonization. Very tightly written.
One of the most unique stories I've read in awhile. I guess cephalopods are more physiologically adapted for deep space work because they don't have bones?
Jacinda
Jun 04, 2013 Jacinda rated it really liked it
On first reading I couldn't parse the first couple paragraphs of this story, but once I got past that I really enjoyed it.
Michele
I reread this and really liked it this time. It has some Weird influence and is extremely well written and edited.
Jon
Oct 08, 2013 Jon rated it really liked it
Trevlig värld i små hintar, men aningen mycket skum världs-jargong som man får klura på själv.
Amy
Jul 29, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Is this just a one-off? 'Cause I'd love to read more about cephalopods in space!
Ed
Jun 12, 2013 Ed rated it it was ok
The world building was impressive but overwhelming.
Jill Carroll
Sep 04, 2013 Jill Carroll rated it it was amazing
Exhilarating kick to the head.
Tanya Spackman
Jun 09, 2013 Tanya Spackman rated it really liked it
Very creative, kind of confusing.
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Cobagibu
Cobagibu marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Mxvicc
Mxvicc marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Nessa
Nessa marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
nlytmr
nlytmr marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
  • Immersion
  • Fade to White (Clarkesworld, Issue 71, August 2012)
  • Edge of Infinity
  • In Sea-Salt Tears (October Daye, #5.1)
  • The Boy Who Cast No Shadow
  • After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall
  • Saucer Country Vol. 1: Run
  • Mono no Aware
  • Futuredaze: An Anthology of YA Science Fiction (Futuredaze, #1)
  • The Lady Who Plucked Red Flowers Beneath the Queen's Window
  • Chicks Dig Comics: A Celebration of Comic Books by the Women Who Love Them
  • Houston, Houston, Do You Read?
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • 3024AD: Short Stories Series One
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere
  • Twelve Tomorrows 2014
  • Glitter and Mayhem
Pat Cadigan is an American-born science fiction author, who broke through as a major writer as part of the cyberpunk movement. Her early novels and stories all shared a common theme, exploring the relationship between the human mind and technology.

Her first novel, Mindplayers, introduced what became a common theme to all her works. Her stories blurred the line between reality and perception by mak
More about Pat Cadigan...