Start by marking “The Wives' Tale” as Want to Read:
The Wives' Tale

The Wives' Tale

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Published June 1st 1992 by Laurel (first published August 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Wives' Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wives' Tale

Angi M
Aug 31, 2007 Angi M rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasyadventure
I don't remember all the details of this book b/c it's been awhile since I read it but I've noticed that it pops into my head a lot. It's the story of this family of men who all have strange inherited traits that end up destroying them, as told by their wives. For example one of them will blow away in a strong wind unless he keeps a lot of rocks in his pockets. One of the boys' bones slowly disintegrate until he's just jelly inside. I don't remember what happened at the end, I need to read it ag ...more
Susan
Nov 14, 2014 Susan marked it as to-read
Shelves: bh-library-book
Special Collections only: PS3573.I3878 W58 1991 "But the gold medal goes to the kooky, mesmerizing, idiosyncratic Dufore family in the not-very-well-known sparkling debut novel The Wives' Tale by Alix Wilber. In the midst of this boisterous tale that spans four generations of the wild Dufores in the town Esperance, Vermont, characters literally burst into flames, literally rot, literally float into the air when they fall in love, literally don't sleep for years. This is some rhapsodic, weird, he ...more
Thomas
Nov 16, 2007 Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic-realism
I read this 15 years ago, so like the other reviewer, my memories are a bit vague. That being said, I remember this novel as an excellent piece of magic realism set in rural America. Check Angi's review for a better plot synopsis than I could have given. I wonder what happened to the author?. Such an excellent first novel, but I'm having trouble finding anything else about her on the web. Worth picking up if you can find a copy. Wherever you are Alix Wilbur, I really liked your book!
Claudia
Aug 21, 2012 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My roommate found this book in a bin at a thrift store. She read it and then made me read it. HOLY ISH. It's incredible. It's the most unique set of characters I have ever met. We have not been able to find copies of it anywhere. And until this site I hadn't known anyone else who'd read it as well. If you get your hands on this - READ IT. It's awesomely twisted.
Stace Dayment
Aug 09, 2013 Stace Dayment rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much - I even tracked down the author in the 1990s working at amazon.com and meant to send her my copy to sign and never did. I bet she still would - she was quite nice. She mixes the magical and romance and family with humor and it's just such a wild tale. Wish it had been a bestseller. !! Now available on Kindle !!
Jodie Reyna
Jodie Reyna marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Josselyn Argueta
Josselyn Argueta marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Katriina
Katriina rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Maaike
Maaike rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Judy
Judy added it
Feb 26, 2015
Darlene
Darlene rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Bryan Ling
Bryan Ling marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Jen Brown
Jen Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Nicolechristine
Nicolechristine marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Heather Demetrios
Heather Demetrios marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Franziska Koeppen
Franziska Koeppen marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Mary Joy
Mary Joy rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2014
Janelle Weiner
Janelle Weiner marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Sharry
Sharry added it
Nov 10, 2014
Estelle Spencer
Estelle Spencer marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Karla Coghill
Karla Coghill rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2014
Ellinem
Ellinem rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2015