Start by marking “Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Cold Granite

Stuart MacBride

Cold Granite (Logan McRae #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  5,783 ratings  ·  498 reviews

Stuart MacBride’s Number One bestselling crime series opens with this award-winning debut. DS Logan McRae and the police in Aberdeen hunt a child killer who stalks the frozen streets.

Winter in Aberdeen: murder, mayhem and terrible weather…

It’s DS Logan McRae’s first day back on the job after a year off on the sick, and it couldn’t get much worse. Three-year-old David Reid’

Published (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Granite, please sign up.

Tam I wouldn't say it's too gruesome. It's mostly a straightforward police procedural and any gory parts were at a minimum.…moreI wouldn't say it's too gruesome. It's mostly a straightforward police procedural and any gory parts were at a minimum.(less)

Phrynne
My first book by this author and definitely not my last. I became quite attached to D.I. Logan McCrae and enjoyed many of the other characters too. The story was excellent if a little too graphic at times. I am quite accomplished at skimming the really upsetting bits so the nasty details did not bother me too much. I found it to be quite neatly put together and rather realistic in terms of police procedure etc. Another new author. Hooray,
Bree T
This is Stuart MacBride’s first novel and as debuts go, it’s pretty tightly done. Detective Sargeant Logan McRae is back reporting for duty after a year off on sick leave. He was stabbed, multiple times (23, apparently) in the abdomen by a murderer nicknamed the “Mastrick Monster”. It took seven hours for a surgeon to sew DS McRae’s inside’s back together and he bears hideous scars and suffers from searing pain.

But the book is not really about that. Instead it’s about the case he catches on his
Simon Taylor
Stuart MacBride’s stunning debut novel Cold Granite propels DS Logan McRae into the detective hall of fame in no time at all.

McRae is a likeable protagonist with a genuine back story: allusions to his professional and personal life pre-novel make this clear. He is haunted by an injury sustained in a previous case and is burned from the breakdown of a relationship.

The star is presented as fundamentally human. He has hope, ambition and refreshing optimism when it’s warranted, despite his demons. H
I saw The Bearded Wonder (Stuart MacBride) speaking at an event in Dundee, A Million for a Morgue, a few months ago. He was engaging, hilarious and I vowed to read his series. I learnt for example that the main character Logan is named after his nephew who lives in Canada (I think) and how many swear words on average are in his books (a fair few).

I really enjoy reading Crime fiction and this book definitely is high on my list of ones I have enjoyed. Its set in Aberdeen, the Granite City, which I
Joyce Lagow
A police procedural of the more or less hard boiled type. Set in Aberdeen, Scotland.[return][return]Detective Sergeant Logan MacRae has returned from recovering from near-fatal stab wounds to the Grampian Police Force to face immediately a dead child and the possibility of a serial paedophile killer. Other dead children appear as well as a puzzling adult corpse, causing more than a little confusion within the police ranks. In addition, it s clear that someone inside the Grampian Police Force is ...more
Monnie
Despite the fact that I never read more than one book at a time - ever - my goal is to have a really good book series waiting in the wings just in case I finish a book but don't have another that interests me. That's complicated a bit because I also hate re-reading a book, no matter how excellent it was (the only exception to that rule was the James Bond series by Ian Fleming).

Over the last couple of years, favorites like Lawrence Block's The Burglar Who series, the series by Spencer Quinn featu
Carolyn

Gritty Scottish police procedural set in the granite city (Aberdeen). My heart sank when I read the opening of this book and realised it was dealing with the distasteful topic of the death and mutilation of very young children. However, after the prologue there was no further description of the actual killing or mutilation of children and the body count wasn't too high.

Logan McRae has just returned to work after almost being stabbed to death. He's thrown into the deep end when the body of a youn
Neil
At the end of last year I read Stuart MacBride's novella Sawbones, and up until that point I had forgotten what a wonderful crime writer he is. So I promised myself that I would dig out the Logan MacRae series and re-read them.

Now for anyone unfamiliar with these books, they are not set in the bright lights of London, Edinburgh or even Glasgow. They are set in the Scottish city of Aberdeen, maybe not the most fashionable of locations but they do seem to lend the stories a harder edge. In Cold Gr
Tony
MacBride, Stuart. COLD GRANITE. (2005). ****. My wife, Betsy, met Mr. MacBride when we were attending the recent Bouchercon in Baltimore. She was impressed by his comments on one of the panels and thought she’d give his book a try. When she finished it, she told me I had to read it. It was terrific! Well, it’s an excellent first novel, a combination thriller cum police procedural. MacBride is from Aberdeen, Scotland, and this is where the novel is set. If you’ve ever been to Aberdeen, you would ...more
Heather
First time I've read a book by this author and I loved it. Admittedly it is very gruesome, with unnecessarily detailed descriptions of autopsies but the author tempers this with some great banter between the wonderful characters and a wicked sense of humour. Can't wait to read the second in the series. I just love Logan, the hero copper whose imperfections make him very endearing and DI Insch is hilarious.
John Wiltshire
I'm currently rereading the whole series. As with lots of books, they're even better a second time. I'd forgotten what a delightfully slow build this first one is. I'm nearly 30% in and we still haven't actually met DI Steel yet. She's lurking and been mentioned a couple of times, and when you know what a force of nature she is once she arrives on the scene this tactic is quite amusing. PC Rennie isn't in the novel yet either. Logan is arriving back to work after nearly a year off sick (after be ...more
Fanficfan44
Just finished Cold Granite from Stuart MacBride. I picked it up on offer for my Kindle one month when another Stuart MacBride book, Birthdays for the Dead was the monthly read.

This is book one in the Logan McRae series. DS McRae has just returned to work after a year off. He gets swept up into a case(s) involving murdered and assaulted children. He is just trying to find his footing again, with a new partner of sorts, WPC Watson (as an aside, he is attracted to her but this is not a romance). Th
Juicy Fruit
I admit, I really enjoyed this book. It's hard to tell why - after all, it follows the police procedural recipe to the letter and it's quite full of cliches and predictable events.

What drew my attention about this book, in the first place was the fact that it's set in the gloomy, grey city of Aberdeen. And indeed, the descriptions of the city and its famous weather are accurate enough and strangely vivid. However, it's hard to imagine such a small city being riddled with crime and serial killers
Karen
COLD GRANITE is one of those debut books that come along and slowly cause a stir of comment and discussion in crime fiction forums. So much commentary just makes you want to get that book that everyone is talking about, but at the same time you often wonder if there's a chance that it's all noise and not much substance. COLD GRANITE is all substance.

On his first day back from extended medical leave, DS Logan just wants to get through his first day and hand responsibility back to his new DI. Desp
Ron
This is the first book with Logan McRae as DC in Aberdeen Scotland. Like most 'foreign' authors, it is sometimes difficult to connect with the 'slang' used in their books.

I got this as a 'Free Friday' on Nook and when I finally got around to reading it, I found I had a hard time putting it down.

As a matter of fact I found myself finishing it up at 11:30 on a snowy night long after my spouse had gone off to bed.

Nook has a word lookup feature linked to Merriam dictionary, but unfortunately, about
Harry
Stuart MacBride was born Feb 27 1969 in Dumbarton, Scotland and raised in Aberdeen. His careers include scrubbing toilets offshore, graphic design, web design and IT/computer programming. He's won Best Debut Novel, 2006 (for Cold Granite) and numerous other International Thriller Awards and now lives in north-east Scotland with his wife, Fiona and their cat Grendel.

The novels, too, take place in Scotland. I'll grant you, Stuart MacBride does warn you you're in for a dismal climate change. Tartan
Monica
"Cold Granite" is the first book in the Logan McRae books written by Stuart MacBride. Like I'm not already reading enough series? The first book in any series is a hard one to read. The author is just setting out on a long journey, establishing the main characters of the series, making them complex enough to entice readers to like them and want to read more, but at the same time leaving a lot of room for character growth. MacBride does a good job with this first book. I couldn't help but like Lo ...more
Lady*M

Rarely realistic police procedural: cops that work several cases at once, never able to completely dedicate themselves to one, breaking the tension with drinking and small amusements in the midst of terrible cases, dealing with pressure from superiors and press and private lives... Interesting tidbits of Scottish justice system and police procedure, grim image of Aberdeen. Great setting, dark and cold as only Scottish winter can be. I loved the language.

Great characters, including bosse
Eadie
This is the first book of Stuart MacBride's Logan McRae series and it won't be my last. The characters are well developed and the plot has many twists and turns. Although the story was very noir and dark and the language was over the top, I still found the book to be a page turner with lots of suspense. I am now looking forward to reading the 2nd book in the series.
Karen
I had never heard of this author, but while doing a search for a book to fit a challenge for a group on here. this book came up. I do not think this is a well known author;The library only had this book when I looked him up. Maybe this is why I really liked it and plan to read more. Hard to put down, stuck to the genre and was suspenseful, not deviating too far with filler, I will read more from Stuart Macbride. I loved the Scottish setting. I could root for the protagonist;He had character and ...more
Jan C
Wow!

I really enjoyed this debut.

Serial killer/abuser of children. Cops are stymied and the bodies keep mounting.

Logan McRae has been out for year recovering from his last case and this is the one he catches on his return. Actually he works on several different cases. But this is the one he keeps coming back to. How could he not?

Aberdeen is portrayed as possibly the bleakest place on earth - always raining or snowing.

But the author assures, in his acknowledgement, that this is all make-believe a
Soul Hudson
Bought this book under sad circumstances i.e. I was going offshore to work. Purchased the book in the heliport shop simply because it was set in Aberdeen (where I was flying out of) and I was reading Ian Rankin at the time.

Loved it so much more then any Rebus I had previously read. Logan McRae is a fantastic character. I don't really care if a book is saying anything about the state of the nation or how crap wars are, I just want a good story with characters care about.

This is definitely a book
Matthew
A child killer stalks the frozen streets...

Quite frankly, Cold Granite is one of the best crime thrillers I've read. Stuart MacBride is a master, from plotting, to pacing, to characters. The first novel of this series is dark, gritty and depressing; it's also thrilling, hooking and a morbidly enjoyable punch to the gut. If you're planning on reading a MacBride book - which I highly recommend - then be warned, you're in for a ride that will leave you feeling guilty and disgusted with yourself for
Marguerite Kaye
So often police procedurals are described as tough and gritty, and so often I find that means they go out of their way to describe the seamy side of life in a particular city, but don't do much else. This one was different. Yes, it does show Aberdeen (a city I'm ashamed to confess I've never visited) in a different, non-touristy light, but it did so much more.

For a start, DS Logan is a really interesting character. He's not the typical hard-bitten, sour, and frankly revolting guy lots of people
Claude
I quite enjoyed Cold Granite. I might get addicted to Logan McRae just as I was to John Rebus, although they're quite different.
Cold Granite is very dark, but there are humorous passages in spite of a very dark subject matter. I'm looking forward to the second installment.
Jon Recluse
An excellent example of no frills Scottish noir; fast, nasty and with a streak of truly black humor.

I will be reading more of this series.

Highly recommended.
Dave
Cold Granite

I really enjoyed Cold Granite, an easy read that kept me glued right to the last page.

I particularly liked the characters and their quirks, together with the well researched practices and process of the Scottish justice system. Clearly DS Logan McRae (the lead character) has a background which hopefully will come out more as I progress through other titles in the series.

I would have given this five stars, but I felt the ending was a little weak and could have been better weaved in e
Alan Marston
Mar 12, 2015 Alan Marston rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery / thriller readers
Shelves: murder-mystery

The weather is grim. The city of Aberdeen is portrayed as grim. The crimes committed are very grim. The police procedure throughout the book is pretty grim. So, did I enjoy it? You bet I did, even though some of the subject matter appalled me.
I enjoyed the eye for detail in the plotting, the interweaving of various different strands to form a complex few days in the life of Detective Sergeant Logan McRae, and above all the characters developed throughout the book, all of them being believable ev
Susan
Like another reviewer, I came across a later book of Stuart MacBride which interested me, but, as I dislike reading a series out of order, decided to begin at the beginning. This is the first novel featuring Detective Sergeant Logan McRae, who is a very human and flawed character. When we meet him he has been off work for a year, after being seriously knifed in the stomach. We also learn that whatever happened on the day he was injured, resulted in his losing his relationship with pathologist Dr ...more
Pamela Mingle
I love finding new mystery series, and Stuart MacBride's Logan McRae books are no exception. I started with the first in the series, COLD GRANITE. The setting is Aberdeen, a change for those of us who read Denise Mina (Glasgow) and Ian Rankin (Edinburgh), but fun to learn about a new city.

I really enjoyed the mystery itself, and especially liked Logan McRae. He's smart, but respectful to his peers and bosses, and doesn't mind poking fun at himself. He's just come back from a long sick leave, th
Mysteries & C...: SEPTEMBER READ - Cold Granite 11 76 Oct 07, 2014 05:18AM
Good Reads Suggestion on Book update 2 47 Jun 28, 2013 06:24AM
  • Protector
  • A Place Called Armageddon
  • Raven Strike (Dreamland, #13)
  • Amberville
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • The Last Noel
  • Sleepyhead (Tom Thorne, #1)
  • The Retribution (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #7)
  • From the Ashes
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • 212 (Ellie Hatcher #3)
  • Jane Carver of Waar
  • The Hunt
  • Head To Head (Claire Morgan #1)
205589
Aka Stuart B. MacBride

The life and times of a bearded write-ist.

Stuart MacBride (that's me) was born in Dumbarton -- which is Glasgow as far as I'm concerned -- moving up to Aberdeen at the tender age of two, when fashions were questionable. Nothing much happened for years and years and years: learned to play the recorder, then forgot how when they changed from little coloured dots to proper music
More about Stuart MacBride...

Logan McRae (10 books)
  • Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2)
  • Broken Skin (Logan McRae, #3)
  • Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4)
  • Blind Eye (Logan McRae, #5)
  • Dark Blood (Logan McRae, #6)
  • Shatter The Bones (Logan McRae, #7)
  • Close to the Bone (Logan McRae, #8)
  • 22 Dead Little Bodies (A Logan and Steel Short Novel) (Logan Mcrae)
  • The Missing and the Dead
Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2) Broken Skin (Logan McRae, #3) Blind Eye (Logan McRae, #5) Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4) Dark Blood (Logan McRae, #6)

“The day was dark as a lawyer's soul.” 1 likes
“shook his head, sending his jowls wobbling. ‘No chance.’ He checked his watch. ‘Show doesn’t” 0 likes