Start by marking “The Bushes : Portrait of a Dynasty” as Want to Read:
The Bushes : Portrait of a Dynasty

The Bushes : Portrait of a Dynasty

New Hardcover with dust jacket
Published April 6th 2004 by Doubleday (first published January 8th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Bushes , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bushes

K.D. Absolutely
Sep 26, 2012 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it
The author described the Bush family as the "the most successful political dynasty in American history."bushI read this book because of the word "dynasty." The Philippines used to be a colony of the United States so even our constitution was based on the U.S. Constitution. Hence, now and then, we have been seeing our own political dynasties. We still do not have a dynasty as big as that of the Bush's: two presidents (father & son) with one of them also served as vice president, two governors, tw ...more
Marisela
Aug 23, 2010 Marisela rated it it was amazing
this was a great book (CD). It showed me some insights about the Bush family that I didn't know about. For instance, I didn't know they were part of Haliburton. I always thought that was only Dick Cheney's involvement only. Well no wonder the crooked contracts...

Otherwise, the book was a good read and I enjoyed it very much.
Stephen
The Bushes: Portrait of a Dynasty, written by Peter and Rochelle Schweizer, is not so much about the Bush presidents as it is about the remarkable family that spawned them. Starting at the turn of the century with the stories of Samuel P. Bush and George Herbert Walker, the authors chronicle the rise of the Bush family that almost mirrors the American story of the 20th Century. The patriarchs of the Bush and Walker families worked very hard to make their fortunes, but in very different ways. SP ...more
Keenan
Jan 18, 2010 Keenan added it
Shelves: historical
This dealt with allot of Bushes, Pres, George H., George W., Jeb, Neil, their wives, and so on. Although it was very informative of their family lives, it didn't speak much of their presidencies or other offices. It also had language which if it wasn't historical I would of stopped reading it. But it did talk allot of general things about the bushes. So if your looking for a book about the family of the bushes this is the right book. If your looking for a book about their politics, I would look ...more
Todd Sherman
Aug 31, 2016 Todd Sherman rated it liked it
The family is treated with white gloves by the authors as there is very little negative about the family. However, the book does give the reader a well written history of the families ties to American politics and their relationships within the family and political powerhouses, like the Reagans.

If you are looking for an easy read in the evening give this book a read. If you are looking for detailed history of the Bushes both their contributions and mistakes then I would skip this book.
Anna
Oct 20, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
This book took me forever to read, partially because of it's length, and partially because it's not something I wanted to just sit down and read straight through. I needed breaks from it. It was however, a really fascinating look at the Bush family in American life, business, and politics--going all the way back to 1880. WOW! It was a frank look, without much political bias--very biographically straight-forward.
Paul
Jan 15, 2009 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Debbie and I listened to this 12 CD edition. Once started it was hard to stop listening to the book until we were done. It was very informative and shed light on President George Bush's character and actions that are not so objectively shed to the public through the media sources.
Plsullivan023
Apr 07, 2008 Plsullivan023 rated it really liked it
Nearly done reading portrait. Good coverage, shows warts but isn't raw. I wonder if brutal info missing in exchange for first-person interviews.
Lydia
Nov 26, 2013 Lydia rated it it was ok
Listened to this as a book on tape. Gives real insight into the whole "dynasty" idea. I hadn't, but probably should have, realized how very entwined so many of our US political players are.
Brian Niskala
Mar 05, 2011 Brian Niskala rated it really liked it
Good read, give you a great back ground on how the Bushes came to power in America. Lots of behind the scenes stuff that would surprise you.
Roxanne
Oct 13, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
This book is more of a personal portrait of this remarkable family and not on politics. They have such a good family where they all love and support each other.
Daniel Meltzer
Apparently George and Laura met at a BBQ. Also, they had fake palm trees at the apartment complex where GWB lived as a young bachelor. All kinds of interesting facts!
Chris Mcmanaman
Apr 22, 2010 Chris Mcmanaman rated it really liked it
It was a good high level survey of all the events in the Bush family history and how they would like to be portrayed in history.
Pierke Bosschieter
Pierke Bosschieter rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Rebecca Plaine
Rebecca Plaine rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Douglas Koehne
Douglas Koehne rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2011
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Jerome
Aug 20, 2015 Jerome rated it it was amazing
A Very Goodread, 5 out of 5 stars.
Corey Astill
Corey Astill rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2008
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2007
Carolyn Illman
Carolyn Illman rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
Austinite4life
Austinite4life rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
PETER SCHWEIZER is a research fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. From 2008-9 he served as a consultant to the White House Office of Presidential Speechwriting and he is a former consultant to NBC News. He has written for the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, National Review, Foreign Affairs, and elsewhere. His books include The Bushes, Reagan's ...more
More about Peter Schweizer...