Start by marking “Stella, Princess of the Sky” as Want to Read:
Stella, Princess of the Sky

Stella, Princess of the Sky (Stella)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Another adventure begins for Stella and her brother, Sam, as they explore the wonders of the natural world. A vast luminous sky, the sun, the stars and the rising moon form the backdrop for their nocturnal expedition. As they encounter raccoons, fireflies, tree frogs and bats, Sam wonders if the moon can swim, if the sun wears pajamas or if he can catch shooting stars with ...more
Published July 22nd 2004 by Groundwood Books

To ask other readers questions about Stella, Princess of the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stella, Princess of the Sky

Stella, Queen of the Snow by Marie-Louise GaySomething From Nothing by Phoebe GilmanThe Mitten by Jan BrettA Porcupine in a Pine Tree by Helaine BeckerStella, Princess of the Sky by Marie-Louise Gay
Kendra's favourite picture books
5th out of 14 books — 2 voters
Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky by Elphinstone DayrellBlue Sky by Audrey WoodThe Phlunk's Worldwide Symphony by Lou RhodesCloudette by Tom LichtenheldCome On, Rain! by Karen Hesse
Picture Books About the Sky
68th out of 101 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Jo
A sweet story about siblings and the natural world around us. Stella and her little brother Sam decide to spend the night camping outdoors and Sam is full of questions about the sky and the moon and everything around him. Stella, in her patient and kind big sister way, has all the answers for him.
An excellent big sister book. Stella is the consummate know it all big sister, but in a nature loving, nurturing kind of way. She is the lovely little awe struck stars in the sky, crazy haired, lightning bug catching, fearless big sister that any little brother would be blessed to have.
Kathryn
Ewan, 5 years old ~
"It is AMAZING because Stella knows everything! Because when Sam thinks the raccoons are robbers Stella tells him that they are going to a costume party - but they actually aren't, but they both think the raccoons are wearing masks!"
Sarah Sammis
Stella, Princess of the Sky by Marie-Louise Gay is one of the Stella and Sam series of books. I included on my list of astronomy themed books for children ages 5 to 8.

The book begins with a conversation between Stella and Sam about the sunset and how the sky changes over the course of the day. It prompts the children to stay out that night, camping under the stars. They observe the sky above and the animals around them.

The illustrations capture the changing colors of the night: pastel oranges an
Nealam
Copyright date: July 22, 2004
-Stella and Sam take a walk at night.
-Used for dramatic play.
-Characters/voices ("STELLA!").
-Stella's patience for her brother's questions.
Candice
Apr 01, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A cute storybook about big sister Stella explaining the wonders of nature to little brother Sam. Sam sees the sky at sunset and thinks it's on fire until Stella explains that the sun is going to sleep. Her explanations are just right for a little boy, and the two decide to camp outside that night. Stella reassures Sam about the night sounds he hears as they watch the moon rise over the lake and the stars come out. The end of the book is what made me love it. I miss you, Sophie!
Kim
Stella is a wonderful older sister. She calmly explains different things to her brother in her own unique way.

The ending to this one through me off a bit but the relationship between the siblings is always a joy to read.

I support independent bookstores. Please use this link to find one near you or to purchase this book:

Kim
I picked this up after doing a keyword search for a princess storytime, which, of course, this book is not about princesses. It's a good older sibling story with cute little responses. Not sure about the ending though. Is it about a far away grandmother or a dead one? Either way, it's a strange way to end the story.
Dolly
Dec 02, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens
Not so much a story as a sweet, pleasant conversation between a big sister and her little brother. The questions and answers are fun and very age appropriate. And their wonder and awe of the world around them is refreshing. We enjoyed this story; we laughed at the dialogue and we liked the watercolor illustrations very much.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
The first of the Stella series that I've read. Stella patiently answers questions from her annoying little brother Sam. Cute drawings. Nice to see a Canadian author for a change, I don't think we get exposure to all that many.
Teri
fun picture book that could be a nice light hearted break in a space unit
Dee
This was soooo cute. I want to read some more Stella stories.
Gail
My 2.5 yo liked this.
jacky
jacky added it
Dec 09, 2014
Jessie Dae
Jessie Dae is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2014
Jacqueline Ikerd
Jacqueline Ikerd marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Sara Cristiano
Sara Cristiano marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Amy
Amy is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2014
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • The Big Wet Balloon: Toon Books Level 2
  • Turtle's Penguin Day
  • AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First
Stella, Queen of the Snow Stella, Star of the Sea Stella, Fairy of the Forest Roslyn Rutabaga and the Biggest Hole on Earth! When Stella was Very, Very Small