Sweety Pies: An Uncommon Collection of Womanish Observations, with Pie

Sweety Pies: An Uncommon Collection of Womanish Observations, with Pie

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"Women sharpen women. I'm convinced that you can learn a lot about a woman based on what she feeds herself and the people she loves; a woman's recipes--especially her prized recipes--are a revelation of who the woman is: what she thinks, how she behaves, what she values, and how she lives her life."
This is a collection of 70 such pie recipes, gathered from the women in aut...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Taunton Press (first published January 1st 2007)

Cheryl
I love this book! My daughter gave it to me for Christmas several years ago. This is a cookbook that is both fun to read and to use for the recipes. In fact, for years I avoided making my own crust because it never seemed to come out right. This book convinced me to try again and now is my go to for pie recipes. I now can say, proudly, that I make wonderful pie crusts and wonderful pies. I have some fresh peaches right now, so I'm going to the kitchen and make "Mayor Ham's Brown Sugar Peach Pie"...more
Peggy
Everyone who likes desserts has a favorite kind. Some folks like cake. Some favor ice cream. Some prefer pudding. Me? I like pie: chess pie, rhubarb pie, peach-blueberry pie, sweet potato pie, heck, just about kind of pie, really. So an entire cookbook devoted just to pie (and its tasty cousins tarts and cobblers) was a must have for me.

The author frames the recipes with family stories and recollections, often about the women who created the individual recipes. The stories are interesting enoug...more
Holyn
I love this book. It's a cookbook that you can actually read and not just use a reference tool. Thanks Mom!

Anyway, it's a collection of pie recipes - a huge variety - and the story behind the recipes is included. It's like looking at a family photo album and having your grandma tell you stories about each person as you go. It turns the pictures from flat pieces of paper into living, breathing treasures. I feel that way about this book.

My favorite recipe so far is Miss Dezirae's Mixed Berry Pie....more
Morristown Library & Morris Township Library
Equal parts memoir and cookbook, wonderful!
Relyn
Jun 12, 2008 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Relyn by: people who love essays
I really enjoyed this book. The pie recipes were wonderful, but what I loved about this book was the "womanish wisdom" that accompanied all her pies. Patty Pinner wrote small essays to accompany each pie recipe. Each one shared what she calls womanish wisdom. I call them lovely little stories. My favorite was the one about the lady who convinced a confirmed bachelor deacon to marry her using pie and foot washing. This book is worth a read whether or not you ever bake a pie.
Cami
An cute, entertaining little cookbook about making pies and the good women's stories that inspired the author.
I especially liked the philosophy of the author's mother: that she was a kept woman, instead of a housewife. This kept her wanting to look nice and serve her man without resenting him.
Recipes are varied and interesting.
Amanda
Maybe the best read of 2008 - combines nostalgic, romantic notions of women and wives with fabulous pie recipes. The blueberry pie with crumb topping is excellent! Normally I just check books out from the library, but I'm going to shell out the money to add this one to my permanent collection.
Doron Yam
A nice book on pies. Unfortunatly these kinds of food are not common in Israel. According to the book it's a real shame. Maybe it's time to catch up with the world on this type of cuisine.
Elizabeth
The women are real and their stories are wonderful, but some of the pies are scary! Cereal pies are probably delicious because of all the sugar, but I won't be making one anytime soon.
Jennie
Love the womanish observations in this book - here's my favorite:
There's something immoral about a woman who'll give out her recipes to anyone who asks.
Oh, and great recipes too.
Andrea
This is a cookbook with the funniest stories of the southern african american women who baked the pies. Even if you don't like pie, you will enjoy the text of this great book.
Sherrie
Seriously and unabashedly old school. "A woman should bake pies for her man" is Pinner's constant theme.

But...the pies...they...they are delectable.
DixieJo
this was a rounded up "four" as far as cookbooks go - great stories for each recipe that I enjoyed. It read like a journal of sorts.
Crystal
There are two great things about this book - the recipes, which are fantastic, and the personal stories.
Jane Law
I really liked the stories that went with each pie. The great recipes were a plus to. :)
Pie making doesnt have to be a lost art.
Kathleen
Good photos, good stories, and good recipes.
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Laura Lubak
Laura Lubak marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Kirk T
Kirk T added it
May 10, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Maricar
Maricar marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sweets: Soul Food Desserts and Memories Sweets: A Collection of Soul Food Desserts and Memories Sweets