Start by marking “Sweety Pies: An Uncommon Collection of Womanish Observations, with Pie” as Want to Read:
Sweety Pies: An Uncommon Collection of Womanish Observations, with Pie

Sweety Pies: An Uncommon Collection of Womanish Observations, with Pie

"Women sharpen women. I'm convinced that you can learn a lot about a woman based on what she feeds herself and the people she loves; a woman's recipes--especially her prized recipes--are a revelation of who the woman is: what she thinks, how she behaves, what she values, and how she lives her life."
This is a collection of 70 such pie recipes, gathered from the women in aut
Published September 1st 2007 by Taunton Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sweety Pies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweety Pies

Jun 10, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I love this book! My daughter gave it to me for Christmas several years ago. This is a cookbook that is both fun to read and to use for the recipes. In fact, for years I avoided making my own crust because it never seemed to come out right. This book convinced me to try again and now is my go to for pie recipes. I now can say, proudly, that I make wonderful pie crusts and wonderful pies. I have some fresh peaches right now, so I'm going to the kitchen and make "Mayor Ham's Brown Sugar Peach Pie" ...more
Valerie Jackson
Jul 29, 2016 Valerie Jackson rated it liked it
Shelves: home, cookbooks
I've always liked cookbooks that came with personal stories. Patty Pinner's stories are truly vintage. It was also an easy introduction to baking pies. I don't think some of the recipes came off well, but since it is partly a collection of pies the way they used to be made (Chess Pie / 'jes Pie) then it could be they just aren't to my tastes.
Aug 31, 2007 Peggy rated it really liked it
Everyone who likes desserts has a favorite kind. Some folks like cake. Some favor ice cream. Some prefer pudding. Me? I like pie: chess pie, rhubarb pie, peach-blueberry pie, sweet potato pie, heck, just about kind of pie, really. So an entire cookbook devoted just to pie (and its tasty cousins tarts and cobblers) was a must have for me.

The author frames the recipes with family stories and recollections, often about the women who created the individual recipes. The stories are interesting enoug
Aug 13, 2009 Holyn rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's a cookbook that you can actually read and not just use a reference tool. Thanks Mom!

Anyway, it's a collection of pie recipes - a huge variety - and the story behind the recipes is included. It's like looking at a family photo album and having your grandma tell you stories about each person as you go. It turns the pictures from flat pieces of paper into living, breathing treasures. I feel that way about this book.

My favorite recipe so far is Miss Dezirae's Mixed Berry Pie.
Morristown & Morris Township Library
Equal parts memoir and cookbook, wonderful!
Mar 11, 2016 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommended to Relyn by: people who love essays
Shelves: foodies-cooking
I really enjoyed this book. The pie recipes were wonderful, but what I loved about this book was the "womanish wisdom" that accompanied all her pies. Patty Pinner wrote small essays to accompany each pie recipe. Each one shared what she calls womanish wisdom. I call them lovely little stories. My favorite was the one about the lady who convinced a confirmed bachelor deacon to marry her using pie and foot washing. This book is worth a read whether or not you ever bake a pie.
An cute, entertaining little cookbook about making pies and the good women's stories that inspired the author.
I especially liked the philosophy of the author's mother: that she was a kept woman, instead of a housewife. This kept her wanting to look nice and serve her man without resenting him.
Recipes are varied and interesting.
Jul 20, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Maybe the best read of 2008 - combines nostalgic, romantic notions of women and wives with fabulous pie recipes. The blueberry pie with crumb topping is excellent! Normally I just check books out from the library, but I'm going to shell out the money to add this one to my permanent collection.
Doron Yam
Jul 23, 2011 Doron Yam rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
A nice book on pies. Unfortunatly these kinds of food are not common in Israel. According to the book it's a real shame. Maybe it's time to catch up with the world on this type of cuisine.
Jul 17, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
The women are real and their stories are wonderful, but some of the pies are scary! Cereal pies are probably delicious because of all the sugar, but I won't be making one anytime soon.
Feb 23, 2008 Jennie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Love the womanish observations in this book - here's my favorite:
There's something immoral about a woman who'll give out her recipes to anyone who asks.
Oh, and great recipes too.
Dec 02, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: humorous, cooking
This is a cookbook with the funniest stories of the southern african american women who baked the pies. Even if you don't like pie, you will enjoy the text of this great book.
Jun 23, 2009 Sherrie rated it liked it
Seriously and unabashedly old school. "A woman should bake pies for her man" is Pinner's constant theme.

But...the pies...they...they are delectable.
Nov 11, 2009 DixieJo rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
this was a rounded up "four" as far as cookbooks go - great stories for each recipe that I enjoyed. It read like a journal of sorts.
Aug 02, 2010 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, cookery
There are two great things about this book - the recipes, which are fantastic, and the personal stories.
Jane Law
Mar 05, 2013 Jane Law rated it it was amazing
I really liked the stories that went with each pie. The great recipes were a plus to. :)
Mar 23, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Pie making doesnt have to be a lost art.
Nov 21, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Good photos, good stories, and good recipes.
Kiesha added it
Oct 21, 2016
Latisha Moore
Latisha Moore marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Dinah marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
The Transmuted Tree
The Transmuted Tree rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Patricia D. Owens
Patricia D. Owens rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Rosetta marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Devin marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Cathy Thomas roach
Cathy Thomas roach marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Bri added it
Jan 03, 2016
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Renee Rearden
Renee Rearden marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015