Start by marking “Remember Me: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Remember Me: A Novel

Remember Me: A Novel

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A ferociously determined twenty-nine-year-old, Rose Devonic lives in Queduro, New Mexico, where she--like most others--makes her living selling embroidery. But a tragedy in her past has made her an outcast. Only by facing down her ghosts--and her hometown--will she learn to accept the liberating challenges of belonging, identity, and love.
Published October 18th 2000 by Picador (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Remember Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remember Me

Pat
This book is brimming with interesting characters, from Rose to Birdie to Alice and to many of the minor players in the story. The narrative point of view shifts so that the reader sees inside the thoughts of several characters and learns about rationalizations and motivations behind the action of the novel. The setting of a remote village that is sometimes cutoff from the rest of civilized New Mexico is easy for a Coloradan to visualize and understand. Our book group was fortunate to have Laura ...more
SOAL
This book grew on me. I never disliked it, but it didn't exactly grab me right away. If it weren't for the fact that I was reading it for a book club, I might have given up a third of the way through. But I'm glad I stuck it out because it ended up being quite good, with some interesting turns. It was definitely worth reading.
Cgrant
At first, I didn't like the book but pushed through it and it was like many books, hard to get going early on, but then easier to read once you got through the plodding beginning. Af first, I didn't like Rose and thought she was selfish and hard to figure out beyond that, and even though she is a little rough around the edges, her heart is in the right place in her affection for Birdie and her changed heart regarding Alice. In the end, I ended up disliking the townspeople instead (with the excep ...more
Diane
I chose this book because two of my favorite authors, Kent Haruf and Richard Russo, wrote positive blurbs about it. I can see a slight comparison to Kent Haruf. Just replace Kent Haruf's small-town Colorado settings with a small-town New Mexico setting where everybody knows one another. The setting figures heavily in the plot of this book. The author captures the feeling of being trapped in a small town with few options; however, I am not the type of person who gets overly sentimental about plac ...more
Tara
Who knew a book centered on the act of embroidery could be interesting?
Suzanne
Great characterization! However, didn't always understand the motivation behind why some characters chose to do what they did. Plus the small mindness of this tiny town was highly irritating - different was not good and scape goats were necessary. On the positive side, it was a good learning experience about the traditional embroidery craft/trade in small New Mexico towns - the art & skill that goes into it.
Kristi
Jeanne
29-yr-old woman in a small town, NM, her family was killed in a car crash. She's seen by locals as a charity case, not part of their local tradition. Folks trying to run her out of town. She keeps coming back because it's where she belongs. Her surrogate dad dies from stroke complications, his sister has alzheimers. Girl tries to help them out. Finally comes back to town to make a stand.
Laura Beth
I was surprised how much I liked this one. Rose was an identifiable character with her many flaws but truly big heart. The reader longs for her to suceed even though she is constantly being thrown challenge after challenge; I mean how much bad luck/hardship can one person survive? But the embroidery theme stays true & helps the fluidity.
Cook Memorial Public Library
Rose is an eccentric heroine and an outcast in her New Mexico town, a place that survives on exquisite embroidery. I loved the flawed and insecure characters, all looking for connection.

Recommended by Connie

Check our catalog: http://encore.cooklib.org/iii/encore/...
Jen
I loved this book. Loved the characters, loved the setting (New Mexico). Anyone who likes Barbara Kingsolver's books, especially Animal Dreams, would be likely to enjoy this one.
Karla
This book had a slow start to it but I'm glad that I finished it ---I loved the characters. The theme of not giving power to those who control by fear was very inspiring.
Anna
Set in northern New Mexico, very few of the characters are hispanic, which I thought was odd. It was a great story, fast read, but the ending left me a little flat.
Mich
didnt get great reviews but i tho't this book was really good. the 'embroidering' part was a bit odd but i liked the underlying story a lot.. good chick read
Laurie Stoll
I found Remember Me as a boring story. Parts were interesting but for the most part this story just didn't seem to have much substance to it.
Psalm
Kind of liked how she's a lovable loser.
Mary Lynn
Interesting characters. Quirky.
Elizabeth Meyer
Elizabeth Meyer is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2015
Cathleen
Cathleen marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Alicia
Alicia is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2015
Elaine Gleaton
Elaine Gleaton marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Ashley Hackshaw
Ashley Hackshaw is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Stygo Walking on Water and Other Stories

“Trying to read slowly when you haven't had time to read is like holding back hunger. It's like having a meal in front of you and knowing you should be polite and use a fork, when all you really want to do is lean over and shovel it in with both hands.” 6 likes