Start by marking “Pieces from Life's Crazy Quilt” as Want to Read:
Pieces from Life's Crazy Quilt

Pieces from Life's Crazy Quilt

Part memoir and part urban social history, Pieces from Life’s Crazy Quilt is an African American woman’s personal account of her life during a racially turbulent period in a northern American city. Raised in a black neighborhood in urban Detroit, Marvin V. Arnett begins her book with her birth during the Great Depression, and ends with the infamous Detroit race riot of 194 ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by University of Nebraska Press (first published December 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Pieces from Life's Crazy Quilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pieces from Life's Crazy Quilt

RYCJ
Aug 02, 2011 RYCJ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dynamic-reads
This endearing memoir reminds me so much of stories my great grandmother used to share. The only difference here is Marvin's account has been preserved.

In a delicate voice, almost too soothing at first, before I knew it, it had swept me inside a community of mores that today is but a shell of a distant memory.

There were the beverage of terms and terminologies to court. The camaraderie (and sometimes open acrimony) between (new) neighbors was stirring, as were the church and its followings. A f
Daisy Herndon
Mar 22, 2015 Daisy Herndon rated it it was amazing
Quick, delightful, informative, painful, a must read. Detroit in the 30s and 40s. Some things never change; some have changed so much. Belle Isle is still Belle Isle; Hudson's and Mary Janes are gone. No more numbers runners, now you have the lottery. No more community graduation parties? Now we have...?

Enough said. Read Pieces from Life's Crazy Quilt for yourself. You might find yourself looking in a mirror or a family album.
Sue
Jul 10, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book all right. I wouldn't necessarily go out and buy all the books by this author, but it was interesting in the time frame of the story.
Carol
Feb 18, 2009 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, I bought it from the author at a writing conference and really meant to write a fan letter but didn't. So Marvin, if you ever read this, I loved our book!
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2007
Jan
Jan rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Ravenna
Ravenna rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2010
Beth Schmidt
Beth Schmidt rated it really liked it
May 09, 2010
D.L. Teamor
D.L. Teamor rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 26, 2012
Hara
Hara marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2012
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Donna Quirk
Donna Quirk marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Shirley James
Shirley James marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016