Start by marking “The Art of Project Management” as Want to Read:
The Art of Project Management

The Art of Project Management

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The Art of Project Management covers it all--from practical methods for making sure work gets done right and on time, to the mindset that can make you a great leader motivating your team to do their best. Reading this was like reading the blueprint for how the best projects are managed at Microsoft... I wish we always put these lessons into action!" --Joe Belfiore, General ...more
Published April 29th 2005 by O'Reilly Media (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Project Management, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Project Management

The Mythical Man-Month by Frederick P. Brooks Jr.Code Complete by Steve McConnellRework by Jason FriedThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntContinuous Delivery by Jez Humble
Epic CTO Reading List
40th out of 70 books — 18 voters
The Mythical Man-Month by Frederick P. Brooks Jr.Managing Humans by Michael LoppThe Deadline by Tom DeMarcoPeopleware by Tom DeMarcoThe Best Software Writing I by Joel Spolsky
Best Geek Management Books
15th out of 18 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Alison
I bought this book to help get me up to speed when I unexpectedly became the interim project manager for several important products my company was developing. I began the book with no knowledge of how things were supposed to be done and ended feeling confident that I could take on what was asked of me. Although the book is written for developer-cum-project managers and I'm in marketing, there is a wealth valuable information presented in an engaging and pleasant-to-read manner that will teach yo ...more
Ben
If you read one book about managing (software) projects, this might be it. It doesn't touch on the various (software specific) methodologies that people deal with (and become obsessed with). But it touches on all of the other stuff besides those process-y things - people, politics, getting things done. If you've already been successful, maybe you don't have to read this. But you should, just in case, because you never know when you might be doing something that is secretly working against you.
John McElhenney
Berkun was there at the dawn of IE 3 - 4 - 5. What a task trying to manage the MS development teams as they tried to define the uber-browser and then build it. And then miss deadlines. And then remove features. And then miss more deadlines. And then ship. And then fix.

Not so much a project management book as a people skills and leadership book of wisdom.

The book was renamed recently by O'Rielly books in an attempt to make it more marketable.

Berkun is poetically clear. "Art" is in this book.
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
This is the best book on project management if you actually want to know how to manage projects in the real world. Fun and easy to read, a great source of inspiration - I find myself flipping through it every couple of days to help ensure I've properly thought through everything when putting together my work plans.
Salim Hayran
Sep 23, 2007 Salim Hayran is currently reading it
It is one of the grate process-driven procedural textbook - I recommend this to anyone who is working as the project manager role, far above anything I've seen from the PMI. Good, basic skills and perspectives to guide your actions - lots of good responses to real-life common failure modes.
Bryan
I thought this book presented a lot of extremely practical suggestions for managing projects. It's geared towards software development, but most of the ideas seem applicable to other areas.
Vivek
Every project/product/program manager should read this book at lest once in 6 months.
Denis Vukosav
Project management is much more than sum of project manager activities; it involves all the actions performed by team members in project planning, managing or closing phases. It is fair to say that it takes more than successful project manager to have successful project, that everyone in project team contribute to its success.

"The Art of Project Management" written by Scott Berkun is a book every project manager should read, presenting all important project aspects and not focusing on any specif
Ruthmgon
Thick, funny,lots of stuff here. ...good recommendation from Barbara's sister Kathleen. This is a dense topic, but I am really enjoying his humor and thoroughness. He is definitely coming from a web project manager background, and this has like 500 pages. So I am hovering at page 250...a section about decision making.

This is a really good chapter for me to absorb, because he talks about how sometimes you have to make a quick decisions and while you have to make good decisions, often you don't h
Katy
I've read a lot of project management books that talk about the specific processes and practices you need to execute. This is the first book I've read that deals with the "softer skills" of management & leadership and I found it to be very enlightening.

If leadership doesn't come naturally to you, this book can help you understand the skills necessary to do more than plain project management. If leadership does come naturally, this book can give you insight as to the things you are doing that
Glenn Burnside
This isn't a bad book. If your job is to wrangle project through to delivery, this is probably a good book to have read through at least once. Unfortunately, it suffers from the fact that Scott Berkun's total project management experience is from inside Microsoft. So, everything in this book assumes that you're a PM on a GIANT project, working with hundreds of people and multiple internal organizations. If you're the project manager at a small company, with four developers and an analyst, for ex ...more
Syzygous Zygote
Good book on project management at a philosophical level, but very little nuts and bolts. That can be fine, though - there's a lot of nuts and bolts books out there. More importantly, it has great references and citations!
Michael Ryan
When Scott Berkum was a Project Manager at Microsoft, bringing new products and operating systems to market, he came to work each day with the mantra "Make Good Things Happen." For that reason, if for no other, this book deserves to be read by every software PM.

After a few years in the industry, software PMs tend to come to work with unspoken mantras like, "Avoid being shafted," "Identify a scapegoat," "What's our exit strategy?" "Distance myself from that decision," "Die rather than tell the t
Shane
This is one of the best books that describes clearly and pragmatically how a project should be run. Please let me know if there is anything better.
Ben Haley
Scott does a good job of applying his experience managing the development Microsoft's Internet Explorer to the process of managing (tech projects) more generally. His key points are directed towards customer driven design, milestones, planning documentation, group communication, and whiteboards (which he loves). If you think you should read this book, you are right, if you think you should not read it, right again.

Michael Morris
This book is very engaging for the subject matter. It is primarily about project management in terms of software development, but even non-project managers can benefit from the topics of organization, critical path planning, stakeholder awareness, and what it takes to make a project successful.
Scott
I learned quite a few things from this book. The usual information about the importance of schedules, specifications and requirements, and communications are in there. Part 3, Management, added more value to me than other project management books--this is where things "get squishy".
Hugh Griffiths
I kinda thought the best bits in this were when *not* to use different project management techniques, that you only use them as long as they're working. And I love his attitude that management isn't there to make people work harder, that actually people pretty much do that themselves.
Scott
A great process-driven procedural textbook - I recommend this to anyone entering into a project management role, far above anything I've seen from the PMI. Good, basic skills and perspectives to guide your actions - lots of good responses to real-life common failure modes.
Tyler Gooch
Pretty good informal look at project management. A little heavy on the IT project management (could have used more non-IT examples), but I would recommend for anyone interested in project management but not actively involved.
Jonathan El-Bizri
May 28, 2009 Jonathan El-Bizri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone managing a technology project
This is a great book on software project management that focuses on the things that will actually help one do ones job, rather than the things that just assure your boss that you are overworked and miserable.
Rebecca
Feb 07, 2008 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: Personal MBA
Shelves: business
Even though a lot of it was familiar, I really enjoyed this book. It's one of those that I think I would have benefited from when I was younger, and I think newer managers would find it a great resource!
Matthew
A great work-through of project management techniques for a team setting. Not as solid for a freelancer, but a good book none-the-less. Scott Berkun is a hilarious writer too, which always helps.
Sergey Pustylnikov
I liked it. Clear rendering of the author's view. I think it's applicable in different spheres of life.
Sandy
I thought this was a really good intro to project management. He has a lot of good things to say.
Behzad behroozan
Was a typical PM book. Not very practical, but described some good case studies.
Vanav
Jan 15, 2011 Vanav marked it as to-read
jeb4t
Great PM book with hands on experience insights.
Like this book? Join the O'Reilly Media Fan Page 1 7 Oct 30, 2009 03:20PM
Like this book? Join the O'Reilly Media Fan Page 1 4 Oct 28, 2009 09:22AM
  • Web ReDesign 2.0: Workflow that Works
  • Profitable Growth Is Everyone's Business: 10 Tools You Can Use Monday Morning
  • Joel on Software
  • Software Project Survival Guide
  • Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects
  • The Substance of Style: How the Rise of Aesthetic Value Is Remaking Commerce, Culture, and Consciousness
  • Essentials of Accounting
  • Project Management: A Systems Approach To Planning, Scheduling, And Controlling
  • Rapid Problem Solving With Post-it Notes
  • Manage It!
  • On Competition
  • Re-Imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age
  • Agile Software Development
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business With a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • The Elegant Solution: Toyota's Formula for Mastering Innovation
  • Ship It!
  • Managing Humans: Biting and Humorous Tales of a Software Engineering Manager
  • Law 101: Everything You Need to Know about the American Legal System

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Scott Berkun is the author of four popular books, Making Things Happen, The Myths of Innovation, Confessions of a Public Speaker and Mindfire: Big Ideas for Curious Minds. His work as a writer and speaker have appeared in the The Washington Post, the New York Times, Wired, the Economist, Fast Company, Forbes, CNBC, MSNBC, CNN, National Public Radio and other media. His many popular essays and ente ...more
More about Scott Berkun...
Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management Confessions of a Public Speaker The Myths of Innovation The Year Without Pants: WordPress.com and the Future of Work Mindfire: Big Ideas for Curious Minds