Start by marking “Farthest Star” as Want to Read:
Farthest Star

Farthest Star (Cuckoo Saga)

CUCKOO WAS COMING

No one knew what it was--but everyone knew it was trouble.

Designated Object Lambda when it first appeared on the fringes of the galaxy, 20,000 light-years away, it was traveling at one sixth the speed of light.

The astrophysicists said that it was vast... lights . . and had the potential for utter destruction. So an existing space probe was reoriented to in
Published February 1975 by Ballantine Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Farthest Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farthest Star

Robert
Dec 09, 2014 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
There was much to appreciate here, but I didn't appreciate this book much.

Aliens that aren't just humans in disguise, some discussion of the psychological impact of a technology that replicates you over interstellar distances and a Mysterious Giant Object which gets more weird the more you learn about it are all good but it's all swamped by irritating problems of characterisation and plotting. The book isn't really a novel; it's a novella which subsequently got a serial of short story sequels,
Kerry
Oct 20, 2011 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is being written in 2011, and I still recall being embarrassed by this book when I read it in 1975. I was embarrassed not by the content, but by my own preoccupations that caused me to miss what the book is really about. I got so caught up in the tachyon transmission way to explore the galaxy that I totally neglected to see that the book was about a Dyson sphere. In reading a review some months after I had read the novel, after that reviewer referred to the Dyson sphere by that name, ...more
Mike
May 31, 2014 Mike rated it did not like it
When you have a book written by Frederik Pohl and Jack Williamson you expeot something special, but unfortunately this isn't. The Star Trek transporter when the original does de-materialize is an interesting idea but that's not enough. I can't really say what's wrong with it, the plot isn't bad, the characters are okay for a 70s story, its just missing something which I can't put my finger on.

I really wanted it to be great, but it was just wasn't there.
Matthew
Sep 02, 2015 Matthew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first half was fairly interesting space exploration coupled with different alien races. The second half was confusing (and dull) planetary exploration that focused more on primitive characters.
So many issues brought up with regards to characters 'copying' themselves, but nothing was ever made of it.
This story really could have had more to it.
Ysmalan
I vaguely remember reading this book when I was a teenager. I was very fascinated by the "teleportation" system and what it implied. But that's also about all I remember from it! I had to google for ages before finding the book again. I guess I'll have to re-read it.
Dani
May 20, 2007 Dani rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a whole semester to read even though it's only 246 pages long. It got really boring and ridiculous at times but still the technology in it was fun. Even bad science fiction is still enjoyable sometimes.
Keith
Mar 12, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1977 grade C
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2012
Gail
Gail rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2014
David Minor
David Minor rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Ray Ivey
Ray Ivey rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2010
Pierre
Pierre rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2010
Diarmid
Diarmid rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2009
Leo
Leo rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Mike Gogulski
Mike Gogulski rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Goji
Goji rated it it was ok
May 14, 2010
Hirailers185
Hirailers185 rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Wyrdchao Kallisti
Wyrdchao Kallisti rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Kdfrawg
Kdfrawg rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2009
Dave Storey
Dave Storey rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
John Speelman
John Speelman rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Neil Hogan
Neil Hogan rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2017
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Francesco
Francesco rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Ladymidnight
Ladymidnight rated it really liked it
May 11, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Monument
  • Warriors of the Storm (Rings of the Master, #3)
  • Across a Billion Years
  • The House That Stood Still
  • The Hollow Lands (Dancers at the End of Time, #2)
  • The Wooden Spaceships (Land and Overland Series, #2)
  • Winter in Eden (West of Eden, #2)
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • Slow Train to Arcturus
  • Voodoo Planet / Star Hunter
  • The Serpent Mage
  • The Embedding
  • The Void Captain's Tale
  • Behind the Walls of Terra (World of Tiers, # 4)
  • Chronospace
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor and fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited Galaxy magazine and its sister magazine IF winning the Hugo for IF three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...

Cuckoo Saga (2 books)