Start by marking “The Outline of Love” as Want to Read:
The Outline of Love

The Outline of Love

Persephone Triebold has grown up in the strange desolation of the Scottish Highlands, raised by her anxious father and memories of her dead mother. Inexperienced in the rules of friendship, sex and love, Persephone takes the opportunity to replace uninhabited mountain ranges with city life and leaves to study for a degree in London.

Parties, new friends and the polluted spl
Published July 4th 2013 by Tinder Press

To ask other readers questions about The Outline of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Outline of Love

Jane
Jul 01, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
I fell in love with Morgan McCarthy's writing last year, when I read, The Outline of Love, a wonderful debut novel. And so I was intrigued when a read about this, her second novel, which mixes a Greek myth with a contemporary coming of age. I thought it might be the perfect coming together of writing style and subject matter.

Persephone Triebold grew up on a country estate in the Scottish Highlands, the only child of a widowed father who was anxious that she shouldn't be disadvantaged by her circ
Ape
Sep 23, 2013 Ape rated it really liked it
Oo, exciting giveaways win =)

I really enjoyed this book, which especially seems to be saying something as this is a hardback copy. I try to avoid fiction in hardback form as you just can't curl up with it. A little of this book is set in the highlands of Scotland, but really this is a book of London. Persephone leaves her isolated Scottish home where she lives with her widowed father, to start a university course in management in London. She starts off with the stereotypical student things - par
Sep 19, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
when I first received this book I was impressed by the cover - it gave that " more than what's expected" vibe.

Having never read any of Morgan McCarthy's novels previously I had an open mind as to what the book would be like. The inside cover gave the gist of the story but with a hint of intrigue.

However much as I wanted to really get engrossed in the tale of Perspehone it left my mind to wander - wanting more out of girl who had so many possibilities but didn't use them !

This basically is a tale
Fiona
Oct 08, 2013 Fiona rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Captures beautifully both a doomed love affair and the first days away from home of an 18 year old, born and raised in the Highlands, who has just moved to London for university. It's wonderfully atmospheric, and the author writes very well about London in all its contradictions. The emotional and imaginative life of the main character, Persephone, rang very true to me. Really beautifully written, fantastic use of language and arresting images. The author writes equally well about the naivety of ...more
Jacqueline
Aug 14, 2014 Jacqueline rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky enough to receive this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

As I started this book, I really thought I was going to like it. The author, from the very beginning, writes very beautifully.

It's about a girl living in the Scottish Highlands with her father, who goes off to uni in London. When she first gets there she does the usual uni stuff, partying, making new friends, etc.
She then believes herself to be in love with a man she comes across while there.

It all started well, ther
Karen Middlebrook
Jan 20, 2016 Karen Middlebrook rated it liked it
An enjoyable coming of age story, but I felt that the tagline 'it started with obsession' was a bit misleading in terms of genre. It wasn't a thrilling book, as I was imagining a 'fatal attraction' sort of thing. In fact the protagonist has a crush on a literary heartthrob, and takes a job at a publishing house to get to meet him, which she does and a relationship ensues. The description of her feelings and her interpersonal relationships with her housemates and being accepted in to a bohemian, ...more
Narjas
Sep 11, 2014 Narjas rated it it was ok
Hmm. Kind of guessed what might have been going on. That, or the other possibility I imagined. Well written and observed, but wish the plot could have taken me somewhere more interesting. Bored of Perse and her context by the end. Too flat a story. Classics link felt contrived and irritating. "Tries too hard". Very apt, Camilla. Did the author recognise this in her own literary efforts?
Chris
Oct 27, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Won as a first reads giveaway. Not sure what to expect but pleasantly surprised. Story follows the an 18 year old woman starting out in life desperate to getaway from her isolated home in the highlands. She arrives in London with hopes of excitement and gets rather more than she bargained for, doomed love affair and mystery. Worth a read!
Zuzana
Jan 31, 2014 Zuzana rated it did not like it
Oh my ... This book is just one big disappointment! I gave it one star thanks to the beautiful cover and great description of chavism! But the story itself is boring.. Incest ridden and making an excuse for it... Coming of age story which fails to impress... No no no...
Nicole
Oct 08, 2013 Nicole rated it did not like it
Couldn't get into this one. Got one third of the way through, not going anywhere. Too many other great books to read!
Masha
Aug 29, 2016 Masha rated it liked it
A coming of age novel. Brittle. Too clever for its own good? Glad to finish it. Writing style is good.
❤ Çandí ❤
Jan 14, 2014 ❤ Çandí ❤ rated it did not like it
I only gave the book one star because of the amazing imagery the author uses. Otherwise it was a dreary book that did not catch me at all. I battled to finish it.
Georgia
Georgia rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Vicky
Vicky rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Marnie Watson
Marnie Watson rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2015
Robin Piper
Robin Piper rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Annaliina
Annaliina rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2014
Jenny Griffiths
Jenny Griffiths rated it it was ok
Dec 09, 2013
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Chloe
Chloe rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Carly
Carly rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Anne Fox
Anne Fox rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Debbie Masson
Debbie Masson rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Femke
Femke rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2014
  • Silence (Inspector Celcius Daly Mystery, #3)
  • Dishonour
  • Wonder Women
  • The Trouble with Mojitos
  • Return to Mandalay
  • Home: The Story of Everyone Who Ever Lived in Our House
  • The 13th Horseman (Afterworlds, #1)
Morgan McCarthy was born in Berkshire, UK, where she still lives. She has worked in a supermarket, a small independent bookstore, and, most recently, as a media analyst.
More about Morgan McCarthy...