Start by marking “How Santa Got His Job” as Want to Read:
How Santa Got His Job

How Santa Got His Job

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Have you ever wondered what Santa did before he was Santa?
When Santa was young and needed a job, no one was looking for a man in a red suit to deliver gifts on Christmas. So Santa tried just about everything -- from a chimney sweep to a postman to a circus performer. But none of these worked out. It wasn't until he met a group of elves who helped him use all his special...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about How Santa Got His Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Santa Got His Job

midnightfaerie
A cute story about Santa growing up that is unlike anything you've ever read about Santa. How he met his reindeer, why he knows so much about chimneys, and his reason for weight gain are just some of the questions answered in this book. My 5 yr old really liked it but it had him questioning everything he knew about Santa. If you don't feel like answering a lot of unusual questions about Santa's life growing up, this book isn't for you. If, however, you approve of alternative stories regarding yo...more
Becky Tilton
How Santa Got His Job is a wonderful children's picture book.This story would be a fictional cultural folktale. The story begins when Santa is a young man search for a job. He goes through quite a few jobs before finding his niche. This clever story shows the steps necessary for Santa to go through in order to become the legend which he is today.

This would be great to use in the classroom.
Activity #1:I would use it to show cause and effect (He worked at a zoo and met the reindeer.) It is also...more
Johna Brown
Before reading this story to my class, I will ask them "Does anyone know who Santa is?" "How do you think he got the job as being Santa?" I really enjoyed reading this story. It is a good way to introduce Santa to your kids. It talks about the many jobs Santa had throughout his life. Santa was very good at all of his jobs. He worked cleaning the chimney. He was a postman where he learned to get around the town. He worked as a zookeeper where he met some of his greatest friends, the reindeer. San...more
Melissa
THis was very cute and inventive. Of course, Santa wasn't always Santa - he had to work at lots of odd jobs before getting settled in his chosen career! In this book, he first works as a chimney swift (thus learning how to quickly get up and down chimneys), then as a postman (delivering packages!), then at a diner (where he samples the desserts all night long), then as a zookeeper (where he befriends the reindeer, of course!), and last at a circus getting shot out of the cannon (and he loves fly...more
Peggy
Not bad actually. A fairly plausible modern-day story about how Santa sort of fell into his job. First he was chimney sweep, but there was a problem - he stayed too clean. Then he was a postman, he loved delivering packages, but there was problem the daytime traffic frustrated him so he started delivering at night and got in trouble. Then he worked at an all-night diner, but there was a problem - he gained too much weight.... etc. Really sort of works best for the 7-9 year old crowd, but my four...more
Brooke Birchler
This is a really cute story that talks about how Santa got his job. It goes through how he started out with one job, such as a chimney sweep, but he found out that didn't work for him so he moved on to another job. It then shows that he eventually decided to put his talents together to become Santa. This would be a good book to read to children so they get an understanding that just because they try at something and it doesn't work out doesn't mean they shouldn't try something again. They could...more
Amanda
Another mom at storytime said that this book was hilarious when I was picking it up and I have to agree. It goes into all the odd jobs Santa had before his current gig, which gives some interesting and funny insights into how he got where he is today. Definitely fun and I'll probably check it out every year because I see it getting even more funny for DS as he gets older.
Nayeli
this book is about a man that gets alot of jobs but non of them are the right ones and then he gets a job at a zoo and he only likes the reindeers and the other animals are sad because they don't get love so then the man finds some little short poeple (elfs) and the elfs tell him if he wants to work as Santa Claus and the man says yes so thats how Santa got his job.
Patricia
I really enjoyed being a witness to how Santa Claus got his job. It is amazing that all of his jobs had something in common with his greatest job of all. It was a joy to read. The story is really cute and the illustrations are nicely done.

For those familiar with the Accelerated Reader Program, this is a level 3.5 book.
Jess
Dec 30, 2010 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those looking for Christmas story time reads
You didn't think Santa just started out as a toy giver, did you? Find out what he tried when he was started out and why each of those things didn't work out.

I like that all his previous jobs point out how perfect he is for his current job. That's fun and at least one of the kids figures this out.

1st-3rd
Alissa
Have you ever wondered how Santa became qualified for his job as Santa? This book will take you through his various jobs from chimney sweeper to zookeeper. We loved the clever answers to our questions and looking at the pictures to see Santa's progression from a skinny red head to his jolly old self.
CRC Washburn
Santa needs a job and goes through several ones before landing his perfect 'gig'. Postmaster, zoo-keeper, toy-maker, etc. This would be a wonderful book to use in conjunction with a lesson on 'community workers' or 'my community'. The reading level is about gr 2, but it would work as a read aloud.
Kathryn
Quite a fun story about all the failed jobs that Santa attempted (learning valuable skills along the way!) that somehow leads him to becoming the Santa Claus we all know and love. You'll see early Santa as a chimney sweep, zookeeper and mailman! ;-) A delight!
Chenoa Brown
Good read for Pre-K and Kindergarten students. Santa tries to a numerous amount of jobs to work. Fortunately he figures that he isbetter fit for giving gifts to those children who are nice. Good book, but it depends on the beliefs within the classroom.
Mandy
Santa looked for the perfect job that he was good at and that didn't get him into trouble. He tried various jobs such as being a chimney sweep, a delivery man, a zookeeper, and other jobs until he discovered what he did best- being himself!
Beverly Kay
My kids and I love this one. It helps frame the Santa myth in a way that made sense to all of us and was great fun to boot. Did you know Santa had a stint as a post man? Or a chimney sweep? or a zookeeper?
Marcia
Dec 19, 2009 Marcia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: prek-2 Christmas
It makes sense that Santa once worked as a chimney sweep, a delivery man, and a zookeeper. How else would he acquire the skills he needs to perform his yearly duties? The kindergartners loved this one.
Chrissy
Silly story about how Santa picked up all the skills he needs to complete his yearly mission. From zookeeper to human canonball, the man in the red suit turns out to be qualified for only one job.
Rebecca
I think this would be an awesome book to read during the holidays. It is a funny twist to a holiday we all observe. Definitely a cute light hearted story i recommend for 3rd-5th grade.
Edward Creter
Nice for Christmas, except technically Santa has been around for 2,000 years after Christ? HelLO? And here we see Santa cleaning chimneys and working nights at the cafe? Silly silly silly!
Curriculum
Santa tries all sorts of jobs as he gets older including postal worker, zookeeper, circus performer and even chimney sweep before finding his true calling. ALA Notable Book 1999
Heather
Santa tries all sorts of jobs as he gets older including postal worker, zookeeper, circus performer and even chimney sweep until he finds his true calling . . .
Jen
Cute book on how Santa tried a bunch of different jobs before getting his current one of delivering presents to children all over the world!
Samantha
A nice holiday book to get in the Christmas spirit. Such a cleverly told story. Light-hearted history of Santa's job. Completely enjoyable =)
Katie Casey
According to this tale, Santa worked several jobs before settling on his current toy delivery gig. Zookeeper, diner cook, etc. ;-)
Kyla
Our new superintendent read this aloud to the kids today at our holiday assembly. They really enjoyed it.
Angelique
Another really good kids book that can be used to teach or reteach sequencing and cause-effect while still entertaining them.
Michele
Very cute... an explanation for everything :)
Sandy
A very cute book about how Santa got his job. It shows what jobs he did before he found the right one.
Emely
I liked this one. I thought the implication that Santa actually works for the elves was interesting.
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Santa Duck
  • Great Joy
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Mooseltoe
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
Big Bad Wolves at School Chaucer's First Winter Now I Am Big! Too Many Leprechauns: Or How That Pot o' Gold Got to the End of the Rainbow How Santa Lost His Job