Start by marking “Shape Capers” as Want to Read:

Squares

Triangles

Semicircles

Rectangles

What can you do with them? Anything! Everything! The only limit is your imagination.

Come on! Let's go on a shape caper!
Published September 30th 2007 by Greenwillow Books (first published August 21st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Shape Capers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shape Capers

Bonnie Ferrante
Mark Collins’ greatest talent lies in his illustrations. The cartoonish exaggeration will make children laugh out loud. It is the first day of holidays, and Ben is going to make the most of it. He rides his bike, hunts for sharks, paints a picture, jumps in puddles, and does far, far more. The little boy’s exuberance and delight with his experiences is clearly apparent on every page. His gentle enthusiasm for life is contagious.

The story is more of an anecdote than a plot. Ben is happy that it i
Peanut
MOMMY: This rating was tricky in that I thought the book was good but Peanut absolutely loved it. So we settled squarely in the middle. His love of this book and motivation to read it makes the 4 stars more than fair. Simple (if not slightly outdated) illustrations show different shapes. The colors are primary and the characters themselves in black and white. I think this would be a good book for little ones because of the bold pictures and rhyming text. Each spread focuses on a different shape ...more
Kelsey
Children shake a box of shapes. Each time a new shape comes out the box. The children describe the shape and do different movements with the shape. At the end, they build new things out the shape. Finally, the book asks children to count the different shapes on a page. The last page suggests children cut out their own shapes and make pictures. The book provides consistent verse and vocabulary about different kinds of shapes. I thought the shapes chosen were odd. For example, the book features a ...more
Carrie
Caroline
Used this one for a storytime on shapes.

Introduces different shapes individually (circle, square, triangle, semicircle, rectangle) and then shows different ways to combine them to make other things.

Good for introducing each shape but I like "The Shape of Things" by Dayle Ann Dodds better for combining shapes.
Rosa
A group of kids display various shapes and how they can become other things. This can definitely be used for story time if I have the kids identify the shapes. When we get to pages where shapes make objects we can ask them what they see. The art style is very geometric which works and also very bright and colorful.
Monalisa Johnson-brown
This book is about different shapes. The book talks about triangle, circle, semicircle square, and rectangles. We can use the shapes to make different things like rectangles can make ladders and semicircle can make boats. The shapes can be put together and make one big item.
Tdavis
Mar 02, 2011 Tdavis rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschool - 1st Grade
Letter Knowledge isn't just about ABC's. Shape recognition is the beginning! This is great book to discuss shapes and use one’s imagination to create objects with shapes.

Early Literacy Skills:

Letter Knowledge
Print Awareness
Andrew Perry
This doesn't really have a story/plot it simply introduces different shapes to the reader. This book would be good for a math lesson on shapes and how everything is made of objects of different shapes.
The Library Lady
A terrific little concept book for teachers and parents wanting something about shapes. This reads well and kids will have fun looking at the pictures and seeing all the ways they can play with shapes.
Holly
Jun 15, 2010 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those looking for a good book to teach children about shapes
One of my son's super-favorite bedtime books. The rhymes present the shapes in a captivating way. The way the illustrations utilize each shape to create entire scenes is impressive and engaging.
Bunnyjadwiga
A little longer and with more characters than the author's Shake A Shape, this volume has the same exuberance and charming blocky colors. A great choice for classroom use with fours and up.
Natalie
I'm needing to expand beyond letters, colors, and numbers in my stortimes... this would be good to use with preschoolers.
Felicia
good way to introduce shapes, that they are in our world and that you can make pictures with them.
Tina
"shapes, concept books, introduce shapes then make shape pictures, great graphics"
Leanne
Leanne added it
Feb 22, 2015
Shavel
Shavel marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Muhammad Farrukh
Muhammad Farrukh marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Mariah
Mariah added it
Aug 14, 2014
Leila
Leila added it
Jul 26, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Gail Nye
Gail Nye marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Feast for 10 Scoot! Turtle Splash!: Countdown at the Pond Rainbow Stew Gobble, Gobble