Start by marking “HTML: The Definitive Guide” as Want to Read:
HTML: The Definitive Guide
Preview

HTML: The Definitive Guide

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Learning HTML is like learning any new language, computer or human. Most students first immerse themselves in examples. Studying others is a natural way to learn, making learning easy and fun. Imitation can take you only so far, though. Examples can be both good and bad. Learning by example will help you talk the talk, but not walk the walk.

Computer-based languages are pre
Published 1996 by O'Reilly

To ask other readers questions about HTML, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HTML

Lady3jane
Taught myself HTML with this book. I still reference it frequently, though I should probably get something a little more up to date.
Leslie
This is a critical reference book for any web developer's library.
Aisling
Not "finished" but I have read what I needed to for now.
Just what's needed for those HTML questions you have...: If you do web development, you should have one solid HTML/XHTML reference guide on your bookshelf. This one ranks up there... HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide (6th Edition) by Chuck Musciano and Bill Kennedy. Although the CSS and XML sections are a little light, the core HTML and XHTML information is all you could ask for.

Contents: HTML, XHTML, and the World Wide Web; Quick Start; Anatomy of an HTML Document; Text Basics; Rules, Ima
Dan ☼
This was the book I learned HTML from! It was very clear, great descriptions of browser support and caveats, plus all of the brand new HTML 4 stuff ( tags were my favorite!) There was lots of sample code, a lot of it about Kumquats... which I didn't believe was a real fruit until I finally saw one in real life, almost ten years later.
Ashley
If you're teaching yourself HTML, you must own this book. It includes all the basics, along with sample pages coded and displayed. Very well explained.
Kathleen
Another book I've read for by Web publishing class. Very useful, but very long and dense. It will be a great reference work to have on my shelf!
Rullsenberg
Basic html coding skills still carry me a long way. This remains helpful, even after all these years!
Janet
This is my most tattered book. I look things up all the time. It is the best reference for HTML.
John
Quickly reviewed for e-pub class. May become source for recommended readings in future classes.
Les Gehman
This is an excellent introduction to creating web pages using raw HTML commands.
Kathy
required text for a class - not too difficult and interseting.
TK Keanini
Very good to have a book with both HTML and XHTML side by side.
Mel
Easy to understand and easy to use. Great Guide!
Dave Peticolas

Another fine O'Reilly book.

Bengisu
Bengisu is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2015
Ahmed Lattoof
Ahmed Lattoof marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Michael Huet
Michael Huet marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference: The Definitive Reference
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Java in a Nutshell
  • Learning Perl
  • HTML for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides)
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Apache: The Definitive Guide: Vital Information for Apache Programmers and Administrators
  • Perl Cookbook, Second Edition
  • Learning XML
  • Advanced Perl Programming
  • UNIX in a Nutshell: System V Edition: A Desktop Quick Reference for System V Release 4 and Solaris 2.0
  • C: A Reference Manual
  • Programming PHP
  • Programming Perl
  • Running Linux
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • CSS Cookbook

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Chuck Musciano is the Chief Information Officer for Martin Marietta Materials, a $2.2B producer of construction aggregates. He is responsible for all aspects of Martin Marietta's enterprise information systems, including their ERP, document management, point of sale, business intelligence, and customer information systems.

From 1997 to 2003, Chuck served as CIO of the American Kennel Club. During
More about Chuck Musciano...
HTML Set