HTML: The Definitive Guide

HTML: The Definitive Guide

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Learning HTML is like learning any new language, computer or human. Most students first immerse themselves in examples. Studying others is a natural way to learn, making learning easy and fun. Imitation can take you only so far, though. Examples can be both good and bad. Learning by example will help you talk the talk, but not walk the walk.

Computer-based languages are pre...more
Published April 8th 1996 by O'Reilly Media (first published April 1996)

To ask other readers questions about HTML, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HTML

Lady3jane
Taught myself HTML with this book. I still reference it frequently, though I should probably get something a little more up to date.
Leslie
This is a critical reference book for any web developer's library.
Aisling
Not "finished" but I have read what I needed to for now.
Just what's needed for those HTML questions you have...: If you do web development, you should have one solid HTML/XHTML reference guide on your bookshelf. This one ranks up there... HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide (6th Edition) by Chuck Musciano and Bill Kennedy. Although the CSS and XML sections are a little light, the core HTML and XHTML information is all you could ask for.

Contents: HTML, XHTML, and the World Wide Web; Quick Start; Anatomy of an HTML Document; Text Basics; Rules, Ima...more
Dave Peticolas

Another fine O'Reilly book.

Dan
This was the book I learned HTML from! It was very clear, great descriptions of browser support and caveats, plus all of the brand new HTML 4 stuff ( tags were my favorite!) There was lots of sample code, a lot of it about Kumquats... which I didn't believe was a real fruit until I finally saw one in real life, almost ten years later.
Ashley
If you're teaching yourself HTML, you must own this book. It includes all the basics, along with sample pages coded and displayed. Very well explained.
Kathleen
Another book I've read for by Web publishing class. Very useful, but very long and dense. It will be a great reference work to have on my shelf!
Rullsenberg
Basic html coding skills still carry me a long way. This remains helpful, even after all these years!
Janet
This is my most tattered book. I look things up all the time. It is the best reference for HTML.
John
Quickly reviewed for e-pub class. May become source for recommended readings in future classes.
Les Gehman
This is an excellent introduction to creating web pages using raw HTML commands.
Kathy
required text for a class - not too difficult and interseting.
TK Keanini
Very good to have a book with both HTML and XHTML side by side.
Mel
Easy to understand and easy to use. Great Guide!
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Greg
Greg added it
Aug 30, 2014
Sam
Sam added it
Aug 23, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Java in a Nutshell
  • Learning Perl
  • Perl Cookbook, Second Edition
  • HTML for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides)
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL
  • DNS and BIND
  • Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style Handbook

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
William P. "Bill" Kennedy, born 1951, is the former editor-in-chief of A+ Publishing, including MacComputing, A+, and PC Games magazines. Kennedy was an early participant in Real World Interface (RWI) along with Grinnell More, inventor of the PackBot. When RWI combined with Colin Engle, Joe Jones and Helen Greiner of ISRobotics to form iRobot. Kennedy went on to co-found, along with CEO Jeanne Die...more
More about Bill Kennedy...
Apostrophe Update Scots Irish in Pennsylvania & Kentucky (Scots-Irish Chronicles) A Cross Too Heavy Local Government in Action: A Simulation