Start by marking “Tornado” as Want to Read:
Tornado

Tornado

When a doghouse landed in the backyard during a tornado, the family wasn't really surprised. What did surprise themwas that there was a dog inside, whom they named Tornado. Each chapter of this gently humorous book by award-winning author Betsy Byars tells a different adventure, and together they chronicle how this unique dog becomes a special part of the family.
00-01 Min
Hardcover
Published June 1st 1996 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Tornado, please sign up.

Steffanie I read it with two of my low guided reading groups in third grade, and I believe it's completely fine. Everyone survives and the language is on the…moreI read it with two of my low guided reading groups in third grade, and I believe it's completely fine. Everyone survives and the language is on the plain and straightforward side. There is nothing in it 'worse' than "dark skies" and "trembling doghouses."(less)

Betsy
What a great book!! To sum up why I like it:
1. That dog/the illustrations--he looks JUST like my big old beastie... warm fuzzies all around.
2. The reading level/plot/characterization--a great fit together. This is an early chapter book that will hold young readers' interest with a great story and memorable characters (not least of which is the dog, Tornado). It's not going to feel too "young" for older new readers, but it will still be understandable for young new readers.

I think it will make a
Melissa
Nov 04, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars. This was a short, fun book! I started reading it with one of my students who struggles in reading (about a 3rd grade level) and he enjoyed it so much he actually checked it out of the library on his own and was reading ahead! I told another of my struggling readers about it and now she is reading it! Good short stories within stories. Keeps the interest of those of us with short attention spans.
Amalia
This book is brief, only 49 pages. With large font, this is a great support for beginning readers and, hopefully a disappointment to readers when it ends too soon. I love the foundation for the plot: a family is stuck in a cellar during a tornado; there is additional worry because the father is still out in the fields. A farmhand provides the perfect diversion to the anxious group: telling stories about his beloved, childhood dog, Tornado, who turned up at his home during a storm similar to what ...more
Erin
Jan 20, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice quick read for young dog lovers everywhere. Each chapter is a short story about the adventures of Tornado, the dog who appeared on the family farm during a tornado. The tales come together as stories told by the farm hand, remembering them from his own childhood, when the family that employs him is hiding in the cellar from another tornado and worrying about their missing husband and father. The book is endearing and an easy read that would be ideal for making the transition to ch ...more
Mustafa
I liked the book but didn't. It was a short book. I wish it would have been larger in pages. Also, it was a good the dog came from the town they lived in.
Carina
Dec 12, 2016 Carina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book "Tornado" by Betsy Byars is a book about a dog that flew into a boys yard during a tornado. The boy got really fond of the dog very quick. The dad didn't mind it either, just because it was so well behaved. I liked this book because even though it was small it was really intense and great. My favorite part was when Tornado came back to the boys house. My least favorite was when the real owners took the dog from the boy and the boy's dad. I would recommend this book to someone who likes ...more
Tam Newell
Read with my third graders, who loved it. I thought they would struggle with the story within the story, but they did really well with it.
Jul 11, 2017 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was on a book list for 2nd grade students. It was dumb.
Candida Silva
May 20, 2017 Candida Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love animal stories and this one was unlike anything I had heard before so I had to read it. I just can't imagine the strength it must take to live in tornado alley and rebuild your life.
Tre Bennett
Mar 08, 2017 Tre Bennett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 12

A tornado is heading towards Pete's house, so he and his family takes refuge down in their cellar. As the menacing storm passes, Pete discovers a dog that has been blown to their house by the tornado. So they name the dog Tornado due to the way he was brought to them. Pete chooses the name and the two become best friends. However, Tornado is no ordinary dog- he played card tricks, saved a turtles life, and had a rivalry with the family cat. But one sad day, Pete's father takes Pete and T
SaraKat
A very easy read meant for young students reading their first chapter books. The tale is told during a tornado while a family is in their cellar. The children are distracted by stories about a dog named Tornado who got into funny situations.
Melissa Namba
there is a part of me that goes "awww! he got his puppy!' and then there is a party of me that is utterly repulsed at the fact that rather than return buddy a second time they, they quietly kept him without looking for the owners. it's not like the book Shiloh, where the dog was abused. it was a little girls dog. and she loved him.
Mary
Feb 21, 2017 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While waiting out a tornado, Pete, the farmhand, tells the story of how he found his beloved dog, Tornado. With short chapters and easy storytelling, this is a good read aloud. This will be a favorite for young dog lovers.
Steffanie
May 12, 2016 Steffanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for 2nd or 3rd graders, this is a book on the short and straightforward side. In the beginning, the family has to rush to the cellar due to a tornado. Father is missing, and in what seems like an attempt to get the family's mind off of worrying for father, Pete starts telling stories from the past. The stories revolve around an old family dog named "Tornado." The stories are short, but span years.

I just used this book for two of my low guided reading groups in the end of our 3rd grade y
Trace
Luke's review: this book was about a nice black dog named Tornado. I loved all of the little stories about Tornado. One story made me sad, but then it had a happy ending which was great!

Momma's review: I loved this book because the author obviously is a dog-lover... in little ways, her words proved that she knows dogs and loves them... this book reminded me so much of the black lab I owned as a child whose name was Coal. I find it exceedingly difficult to find wholesome early chapter books that
Josiah
Apr 16, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think that I would grant this book two and a half stars.
Betsy Byars is as good as ever in this very short read, but the accompanying pictures by Doron Ben-Ami are some of the best that I have ever seen. They are so finely detailed and smooth that I could actually believe that they are photographs.
There have been many stories of loyalty between a boy and his dog, but this one has some very good elements that make it a worthwhile read, and the circumstances under which the tale is told make i
Mary Mcgobe
May 18, 2014 Mary Mcgobe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book at a garage sale and mainly just because of the black lab on the front of it. I have a black lab who I love and adore. I am really glad that I picked it up because it was a really sweet story.

There was nothing that I did not like about this book. I loved all the stories that the children told while waiting the storm out. I smiled at some and got teary eyed at others.

I think this would be a great book for second graders on up. Even adults will like this story. It would also make a
Jayzee
Nov 06, 2015 Jayzee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tornado by Betsy Byars

Tornado is a sad, funny and realistic novel. The characters are Pete, Tornado, Five- Thirty, mom, dad and the dog's original
owners. The setting of this wonderful novel is the farmhouse near Kansas. The story is about a dog named Tornado who gets sucked into a tornado and lands in a pile of rubble until a little boy named Pete finds him and brings him home to keep.

I liked the part when Tornado was playing card tricks with Pete and when he got riled up about Five-Thirty and
Erika Gentry
Read this book with my second-grader. It's about a family who has to take shelter in a cellar when a tornado hits. To pass the time-a man tells a handful of stories about when he was a boy, experienced a tornado, and in the aftermath-found a dog in a doghouse. The stories center around the dog he found-he named Tornado. This book would be perfect for any primary reader who loves dogs. My son prefers Dav Pilkey books-and not dog stories-so he wasn't much of a fan. He read a few chapters and then ...more
Brandi
A sweet story of a boy and his dog perfect for transitional readers. A doghouse lands in the yard of a family after a tornado, complete with dog. The family take in the dog, name him Tornado, and he quickly becomes part of the family. But Tornado didn't simply appear out of thin air; he was someone else's beloved dog before. This chapter book has a satisfying happy ending. Great atmospheric illustrations.
Elizabeth
Sep 12, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Such a great book! Upon finishing, we immediately looked to see if there is another book with stories about Tornado (the dog.) The premise is: a family is taking shelter during a tornado and Pete the farmhand entertains them with stories about his childhood dog, who appeared after a similar tornado. I'm a sucker for a good dog story or two, and the style lends itself to be an excellent read-aloud. I'd round up to 4 1/2 stars if I could.
Mrs. Kris's Class
Jan 12, 2011 Mrs. Kris's Class rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drew
Drew Baker's Review:

Tornado is a great book if you love dogs. I am not a fan of dogs. Ya'll are probley going crazy reding this knowing i dont like dogs. Tornado is about this family and there a nice family they live on land. A tornado comes and they all have to get in the cellar room. Anyway, they recive a dog and it runs away and at the end......
**********************************************
Jonathan
This is a great book for third-graders. It should transition them nicely into more advance books (chapter books). It has less pictures than the books they read in second-grade and also has more continuity. It's possible for a third-grader to even read parts of this in several sittings. It's a great transition book, but it suffers from a story that is not particularly engaging.
Victoria Ryan
Dec 05, 2014 Victoria Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is 49 pages, including the 8 pictures that are in it! It also has large print. Not a book that will take you five hours to read! It is still good. It's all about a family stuck in a cellar and a farmhand named Pete who tells about a tornado that carried a dog house, complete with a dog inside, to his house! Amazing!
Dean Deters
Summary They find a dog house with a dog in it.The boy wanted to keep it and dad said okay so the boy wanted to call it Tornado.

Setting They live in the country and they have a lot of Tornado.

character trait Pete is loving and understanding and he cares about others.

Most important event when Tornado was gone and they
Sarah Jane
Feb 04, 2012 Sarah Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i read this book when i was a kid. even though it was a short book, it really appealed to me as a child because i was deathly afraid of tornadoes and it got me thinking that Tornadoes are dangerous but they do not threaten me anymore its great for children with fears of this sort of thing and i highly recommend it
Leah
A story about a young boy whose family is hiding in the cellar while a tornado passes by. The story is about a dog that was found after a tornado. This easy chapter book is a nice little story about dealing with something scary by telling a story.

Recommended age 6-9
Reading Level 2nd-3rd grade
Jerusalen
Feb 04, 2015 Jerusalen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give this book a 5 because I love the stories. I agree its sad when they take Tornado away. Or Buddy as the girl said. When I read that part I was sad. I even felt like crying !But I couldn't ,I was in class. Any ways I just can't belive Tornado had the turtle all that time in his mouth. My favorite part is when Tornado returns.
Torrey Green
Kathryn Jones
Growing up I read this book over and over again. It was one of the first chapter books I read. While in a storm cellar waiting on a tornado to pass Pete tells stories about his experiences with tornadoes. He explains one story how he ended up with a new friend. If you love dogs you will love this book.
  • Prairie School
  • The Paint Brush Kid
  • Third-Grade Detectives #1-2: The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope & The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • Jake Drake, Bully Buster
  • The Minstrel in the Tower
  • The Apprentice
  • The King's Equal
  • McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales
  • Lumber Camp Library
  • Maps and Globes (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Emily's Runaway Imagination
  • The Bears on Hemlock Mountain
  • Wagon Wheels
  • Along Came a Dog
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars...