Start by marking “Go For The Goal: A Champion's Guide To Winning In Soccer And Life” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Go For The Goal: A Cha...

Mia Hamm

Go For The Goal: A Champion's Guide To Winning In Soccer And Life

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  35 reviews
For the more than seven million girls—from knobby-kneed tykes to high school and college stars—who are tearing across the country chasing a soccer ball and dreams of glory, there is one name that eclipses all others, male or female: Mia Hamm. With her cheetahlike acceleration and lightning-bolt shot, Hamm broke nearly every record in her sport, while galvanizing a whole ge ...more
Published July 2nd 2013 by It Books (first published August 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Go For The Goal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go For The Goal

Amanda
I first read this book when I was taking the Iowa tests in second grade. I was in love with soccer and I also loved Mia Hamm. I have read this book several different times since then, and I am impressed every time with Hamm's amazing soccer skills and work ethic.
Isabel M.
I am a soccer feind so apparently I liked it, but I'm not really in to documentaries, but still, I liked it.
Cindy
Anything to do with Soccer is up my alley, AND I LOVE Mia Hamm, she's amazing!
Grace
great and filled with lots of tips
Lindsey
Whooooo! Go Mia Hamm!
Roberto
so far this book talks about the story of Mia Hamm. A soccer player from United states and she tells you some tactics that are useful for soccer and also she has always something to say about her soccer life.

2/7/11
Today she talks abut the technique of heading the ball and all the stuff you need to do to be a good header. heading can decide whether you win or loss a game. heading is a powerful tactic if you know how to use it.

2/9/11

the part that i read today was about how to be a winner. she says
~Kira F.
Kira Favakeh
Mrs. Romaniuk and Mr. Moyer
Book Review #2
4 November 2011
Go for the Goal:
A Soccer Players Life Line
If you’re reading this book review, I hope you like soccer because that’s what this book is all about. Go for the Goal is an autobiography/ informational book by Mia Hamm, one of the best soccer players in the world. If you want her insight about the game of soccer, this is a perfect book for you!
Go for the Goal includes tips on trapping, passing, dribbling, shooting, heading, and even
Lindsay
Go For the Goal : A Champion's Guide To Winning In Soccer And Life Is amazing. Inspirational, and motivating, I really enjoyed it. It is a light read, with full color pictures, and provides a unique insight to Mia Hamm's early life and childhood, and also provides unique game tips from her and her teammates. It breaks the game down into key components, and provides tips and drills to improve these skills. It shows how with simple teamwork, dedication, and hardwork, you can be champion both on an ...more
Grace Watkins
This book is a true champions guide. It not only inspired me, but made me believe that I was capable of anything in soccer, even making the national team! It helped give me ideas for training but also for real game situations. Mia Hamm is not only my favorite womens soccer star but also one of my favorite people. I will always remember this book throughout my years as a soccer player.
Meg
Rereading again, now that I'm coaching soccer. Such an inspiration.
Dani Tomasik
Taught me so much more about soccer great book.
Hope
I think this book was really good! Mia writes in the book about her Olympic and World Cup journeys. She also gives advice of how to increase your soccer skills (which I found quite helpful). I think this book is good for ages 12+ who are trying to become good soccer players. I found it also neat because Mia went to the University of North Carolina, and so she tells a couple of stories of when she played soccer there. So overall I really enjoyed reading this book and if you are really into soccer ...more
Camryn
The book "Go For The Goal" by Mia Hamm is an inspirational book about Mia Hamm's soccer career from being a toddler to being the best soccer player in the world. She writes about her experiences as a child and growing up to play for the University of North Carolina. She writes about her losses and setbacks throughout her career and how she overcame them. Overall I thought this was a great book! If you like soccer and enjoy learning about people's careers this is the book for you.
Mandi Friedman
As much as I love soccer, I did not enjoy this book too much. She didn't say as much about herself and her experiences as I would have liker her to, but it was more on the instructional side. I have played for 14 years and didn't find it too helpful. However, I still really enjoying the forward and heading sections. I also liked how much she encouraged women aggressiveness and determination to win. I'm glad I read it, but I don't want to read it again.
Vanessa EVHS Dominguez
This was a really great book. This book explained how well know Mia Hamm and her team learned to be the great soccer players they grew up to become.
Bill
awesome. the most intense athlete I've ever seen.
just read the captions and the photos in the library. hilarious, and amazing... she, like john lennon, like dfw, is a trailblazer, ahead of her time, suffering for the first time travails the next generation will know better waht to do with. honor mia. she's amazing. we joke around the house about how intense it would be to be the child of Mia and Nomar... "race you to the fridg.... LOSER!"
7mccullough_briahna
Sep 21, 2012 7mccullough_briahna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: "any soccer players serious about the game"
This is my favorite book. Mia Hamm created a visual mindset for me as i was reading the book, and being a soccer player this helped create an image that i can use on the soccer field {this book would be a great read for any soccer player}. One of the things that makes this my favorite book is how she relates each part of the game to her own personal experience along with the other people on the USA woman's national team.
Katie
This is a great book that I learned a lot from.
Gigi2014
This book is great and it tells the feelings that the women's USA were going threw. This book is a great book for people who don't now how to play soccer because we are in the soccer unit. This also a great book for people that loooooooooove soccer or just love soccer.I really recommend this book
Demi
I love Mia Hamm. That's the first thing I have to say. She has always been my idol ever since I started playing soccer at the YMCA, moving on to play for a Select team, one of the best in Houston. She tells you so much about the game in her perspective that you would never had thought about.
Allison
Sep 01, 2008 Allison rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: soccer players
Shelves: non-fic, favorites
I read this book in the middle of my Varsity soccer years and found it really helpful in explaining the fundamentals of soccer. Mia Hamm also has a really interesting story and writes thoughtfully about self-discipline, competition, and loving the game. A must read for any soccer player.
Myra
Go For the Goal is an amazing book by Mia Hamm about soccer. If you love soccer and want to learn more this is the book! It was well written and gave multiple opinions of players on the U.S.A national team, like Michelle Akers. So if you like soccer you should read this!
Destiny Desamito
I personally like this book because I, too, play soccer and love the sport. I believe that anyone who plays soccer should follow the mentality of Mia Hamm. She leads and assists the US Women's National soccer team to the Olympic Gold medal.
Dawn
This book was pretty good. She covered a little bit of her life but mostly it was about how to play soccer and be a team player. If I knew more about soccer I think I would have enjoyed it even more. But it was and interesting read anyway.
Mia
it was really truly inspiring and it made me feel like i have the guts, and glory to win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you people will love it ( if you like soccer )
soccerlover.miahamm.tobey
Hank Waddles
An amazing read for any young girl who loves soccer -- or even for a father who loves a girl who loves soccer. Equal parts narrative and instruction, this book is excellent on several levels.
Ava
Being a young female athlete, I found this book inspiring. Following Mia Hamm through her journey with many bumps in the road but with a rewarding end.
Elizabeth
i recommend to soccer players who want to know more about the pros. this is a great story written by mia herself.
Lisa
The girls and I all read this. If you have a daughter who loves soccer this is a must read!
Ann
Inspirational especially for passionate soccer players like me :)
2nd Period Langua...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Alexis-book2 2 8 Jan 27, 2014 05:24PM
  • The Girls of Summer: The U.S. Women's Soccer Team and How It Changed the World
  • The Rivals: Chris Evert vs. Martina Navratilova Their Epic Duels and Extraordinary Friendship
  • The Other 90%: How to Unlock Your Vast Untapped Potential for Leadership and Life
  • Cloughie: Walking on Water. Brian Clough with John Sadler
  • A History of Asia
  • InSideOut Coaching: How Sports Can Transform Lives
  • Warrior Girls: Protecting Our Daughters Against the Injury Epidemic in Women's Sports
  • The Case of the Blue-Ribbon Horse (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley, #3)
  • The Late Romances: Pericles; Cymbeline; The Winter's Tale; The Tempest (Bantam Classics)
  • Bhagavad Gita: A New Translation
  • The Case of the 202 Clues (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #1)
  • The Mormon Mirage: A Former Member Looks at the Mormon Church Today
  • The Case of the Green Ghost (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #13)
  • The Ghost Pony (Pony Pals Super Special, #3)
  • Existentialism: Basic Writings
  • The Platinum Rule: Discover the Four Basic Business Personalities andHow They Can Lead You to Success
  • The Case of the Disappearing Princess (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #9)
  • The Power Principle: Influence With Honor
Mariel Margaret Garciaparra, best known as Mia Hamm, is a retired American soccer player. Hamm played many years as a forward for the United States women's national soccer team and was a founding member of the Washington Freedom. Hamm has scored more international goals in her career than any other player, male or female, in the history of soccer (158).

Hamm is an iconic symbol of women's sports an
More about Mia Hamm...
Winners Never Quit! Wusa Girl's Guide to Soccer Life In the Footsteps of Champions: The University of Tennessee Lady Volunteers, the First Three Decades Mia Hamm: Soccer Superstar

“A winner is that person who gets up one more time than she is knocked down.” 54 likes
“I learned a long time ago that there is something worse than missing the goal, and that's not pulling the trigger.” 13 likes