Start by marking “The Soldier's Tale” as Want to Read:
The Soldier's Tale

The Soldier's Tale (Fitzwarren Inheritance #2)

Corporal Daniel Francis has returned to his childhood home in England to heal; the only one of his unit that survived a roadside bomb. His reasons for skipping medication are based on a stubborn refusal to become an addict, and he is overwhelmed with survivor's guilt.

Doctor Sean Lester has joined his father's surgery and when he is held at knife point by a patient high on
ebook, Second Edition, new cover
Published June 6th 2013 by Love Lane Books (first published June 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Soldier's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soldier's Tale

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
This was a great second book in the trilogy. I liked these two main characters (Dan and Sean) more than I did the two from the first book (Mark and Jack). The first book focused more on the curse and setting the world, where this one focused on the characters and their development.

The two main characters from the first one are in this one also and we even get the POV from Jack. I liked Mark and Jack more in this one than i did in the first, i think seeing their relationship from Jack's perspect
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Whereas The Psychic's Tale revolved around the curse and trying to figure out how to break it, The Soldier's Tale revolves more around Dan and Sean, their bubbling romance, Dan healing from his injuries, figuring out how to live a life outside the Army and what his relation to the curse is. But to me, ultimately, it was about Dan and Sean's relationship.

Dan is now a broken man. He watched a majority of his team get blown up and came out with the least amount of injuries, bearing scars along the
Don Bradshaw
This was a good read as another part of the curse is lifted from the Fitzwarren Clan. Daniel Francis is a man broken by both the war and his own self-loathing. Daniel suffers from PTSD and is in constant pain from a war wound that severely damaged his knee. He can barely function with all the medication that he's taking so one night he decides to quit all of his meds. Unable to sleep, Daniel takes a walk at 2 a.m. and is almost run over by the charming and slightly younger Dr. Sean Lester. Sean ...more
Lady*M
The story line about the curse set up in the first book has paid off in The Soldier's Tale, because the author had the opportunity to concentrate more on the characters. It was hard to read about Daniel's suffering, but it was also satisfying because RJ Scott managed to show us how he was not entirely broken by his losses. I liked the dichotomy between Sean the doctor (brusque, self-assured) and Sean the man (uncertain and gentle). Daniel and Sean worked fabulously together - from the rough star ...more
Chris
Jul 02, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good paranormal m/m romance trilogy reminiscent of the Nora Roberts trilogies that involve a different couple getting together in each book, all as part of breaking a curse or fulfilling a prophecy. Chris Quinton, RJ Scott, and Sue Brown have done something similar here, skillfully creating the m/m version of the three curse-breaking couples.
Eva
Jul 05, 2011 Eva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great continuation of the trilogy. Sean and Daniel's story kept me glued to my kindle from beginning to end. The way Daniel tied in with the curse was unexpected but work well into the story.
Maya
Jun 20, 2011 Maya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, rj-scott
I loved this second installment, Daniel was easy to connect with and Sean was sweet, the plot of the curse was furthered in a good way where it didn't over shadow the relationships between the characters.
Mandi
Aug 02, 2011 Mandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars. Another great addition to this trilogy! Took me a little while to warm up to Sean, but by the end, I loved their relationship. On to the last book!
Joanne
Jun 26, 2011 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great second instalment of the Fitzwarren Inheritance. It's obvious the authors worked together to formulate a very impressive plot, and it's really paying off. Off to read part 3
Paul
Nov 19, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS
OK this trilogy of novella's, each written by a different author unfolding a story of a cursed family is absolutely FANTASTIC
Feliz
Daniel Francis used to disarm explosives of all kinds during missions all over the world; he used to be a confident, strong man, the one young soldiers turned to for advice, the one his bomb squad members looked up to as their leader. That’s all in the past now; after a roadside bomb killed his entire squad and left him with a crippling leg injury and a barely less crippling load of survivor’s guilt, he returned on medical leave to his hometown of Steeple Westford.

After a consultation with his l
Grammy 1
Nov 02, 2013 Grammy 1 rated it it was amazing
4.5****'Stars

What an interesting concept, for three talented authors to decide to write a story, on one theme, each author writing their own part. The theme is the Fitzwarren curse, and how the words to remove it are used by each storyteller.

In the Autumn of 1644 Johnathan Curtiss cursed Belvedere Fitzwarren saying “I curse you and your children’s children, that you should live out your allotted years and those years shall be filled with grief, loss and betrayal even as you have betrayed and ber
Loves To Dive
Sep 09, 2012 Loves To Dive rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Corporal Daniel Francis came back to Steeple Westford a man broken and battered in both body and spirit. The only surviving member of his bomb squad unit, he suffered damage to his knee that causes extreme pain and has scars on his body and face which will never heal. He refuses to take the pain medications prescribed to him, because he doesn’t want to add addict to his list of ailments. Caught after hours in his doctor’s office after hiding in the bathroom to try to mask his pain, he comes upon ...more
ARe Cafe
Apr 12, 2013 ARe Cafe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vals-picks
The Soldier’s Tale by R.J. Scott is the second book of The Fitzwarren Inheritance series. Book 1 is The Psychic’s Tale by Chris Quinton and Book 3 is The Lord’s Taleby Sue Brown. To be honest, I mistook The Soldier’s Tale for a stand-alone novel when I chose it, so I have yet to read Books 1 and 3. Therefore, I was a little surprised when what seemed to be a contemporary romance grounded in realism took a gentle detour into the world of supernatural phenomena via a minor character who is a ...more
Adara
Oct 19, 2013 Adara rated it liked it
The second of three stories which need to be read in order, preferably back to back (because they're so short, and they really tell one story in three pieces). This book relates to the second part of breaking the curse on the Fitzwarren family.

The soldier/warrior, Daniel Francis, comes home after being discharged from the army after living through a bomb blast that damaged him. Not only does he suffer from post traumatic stress, but he's also having repeated nightmares of two men being burned w
Monika

This is not an accurate rating for this book and that is my fault.

This is the second in a series of three and because the first is written by another author I didn’t think it necessary to read it. You must! I felt lost in the first quarter of the book, I missed the set up of the story which of course happens in the first book.The Psychic's Tale

I love RJ Scott her writing and ability to tell a great story is all evident in this book. Daniel and Sean were perfect for each other and watc
Sheila
Jul 12, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 of Fitzwarren Inheritance. Mark has interpreted the curse. He believes he and Jack were the first part. Are Sean and Daniel the second part? This is their story. Daniel was furloughed out of the Army because of war injuries. Sean is his doctor's son but also a doctor in the practice. Daniel does not want to take his meds because of the haziness they cause him. They meet when Daniel thinks Sean is being attacked in the office and again with Sean thinks he has hit Daniel with his car. Not ...more
Straysod
Feb 18, 2013 Straysod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second story in the trilogy is definitely weaker than the first, but still quite enjoyable. Daniel and Sean are fairly likable, though I'm not sure I entirely buy their relationship. Things just move too quickly, and I'm not sure I buy that Daniel would be ok with Sean's doctoring side. With each book, the past seems to influence the present even more, and the supernatural events/aspects also increase with each tale. Certainly not strong enough for a stand-alone book, but as a novella in ...more
Suze
Jul 18, 2014 Suze rated it really liked it
So book 2 of the Fitzwarren curse, and another great installment.
Not so much on the paranormal side, and I was looking forward to more of that, and not much more on the history side other than knowing fully who Jonathan was and how he fit in.
Daniel's pain and trauma came across very well, could feel his despair. Whilst the relationship between he and Sean was quite quick, they did have a slow build up that did kind of fit into Daniel's medical history.
Enjoyed it a lot, looking forward to book 3
Cole Riann
The Soldier's Tale suffers a bit from being the middle book of the series. The history of the families, the curse, and the possibility of breaking the curse has already been explored in the previous book, and the culmination of all their efforts will happen in the end of the next book. As such, this book stands on it's own more, though still deals with the greater story arc. It is, however, more about the couple here than in the other books.
Terry
Mar 06, 2012 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in this trilogy made me wonder who plotted the whole story out as I didn't feel as if it was up to RJ's normal standard and maybe she had not been involved in the development at all but handed the bare bones as a "fait accompli". Still the storyline was moved on but I think it could have been betteer.
Bea
Jan 17, 2016 Bea rated it liked it
Estaría bien que se hubiera leído el primer libro antes de escribir el segundo. Queda un poco mal que las líneas de tiempo y los detalles argumentales no coincidan entre uno y otro.
La aparición de los personajes del anterior libro hubiera sido mucho mejor si hubieran conservado un poco de su carácter.
Por lo demás no está mal, es un poco más soso que el anterior.
Karyn
May 26, 2014 Karyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, 2014
This book seemed to get over 4 pages after it began.
I was just getting involved in the story and the lives of the characters, and BOOM! A lil bit of psychic mumbo-jumbo, the characters profess thier likes for each other and the story is over.
After the great way it started, i'm kinda disappointed.
Felt more like a chapter than an entire book :(
Shaz
Sep 04, 2013 Shaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, paranormal
It has been a little while since I read the first one in this series and that is why is did take me a little bit of time to get back into the story.

But as expected from this author, although only a short tale, it was a solid, good story with interesting characters. I think though, that before I read the last one, I'm going to reread the first two and read them all in sequence.
Aislinn
This one wasn't quite as strong as the first one. I absolutely love the premise of this trilogy, but the emotions were not as palpable for this one. I did like both of the central characters, and will definitely finish off the trilogy now.
Blackravens Reviews
One of Ms. Scott’s strengths as a writer is strong character development and The Soldier’s Tale is no exception. To read this review in its entirety, please visit http://www.blackravensreviews.com/?p=...
Gwendolyn
Gwendolyn rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Lada
Lada rated it did not like it
Oct 22, 2011
Pixiestyxs
Pixiestyxs rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2011
  • The Psychic's Tale (Fitzwarren Inheritance #1)
  • The Lord's Tale
  • The Hanged Man's Ghost (The Night Wars, #1)
  • A Broken Light (Beyond the Night, #1)
  • Araton's Destiny (Celestial Justice, #1)
  • Reclamation (Dominion, #2)
  • Healer (The Institute #1)
  • A Counselor Among Wolves (Leader Murders, #2)
  • The Case Of The Dragon's Dilemma (End Street Detective Agency #3)
  • Tainted Blood (Tainted, #1)
  • Going Under
  • Conquer the Flames (Lang Downs #4)
  • I Am Fallen
  • Soul Magic (Triad #3)
  • Battle Buddy (Rough Rangers, #1)
  • His Soul to Take
  • Midsummer Curse (Midsummer, #2)
  • Apples and Regret and Wasted Time
RJ's goal is to write stories with a heart of romance, a troubled road to reach happiness, and most importantly, that hint of a happily ever after.

RJ Scott is the bestselling gay romance author of over ninety MM romance books. She writes emotional stories of complicated characters, cowboys, millionaire, princes, and the men who get mixed up in their lives. RJ is known for writing books that always
More about R.J. Scott...

Fitzwarren Inheritance (4 books)
  • The Psychic's Tale (Fitzwarren Inheritance #1)
  • The Lord's Tale