Start by marking “Colt (Nicholas Colt, #1)” as Want to Read:
Colt (Nicholas Colt, #1)

Colt (Nicholas Colt #1)

October 21: just an ordinary day, unless you’re a former rock star…

The sole survivor of a plane crash…

A private investigator working out of a camper…

For Nicholas Colt, October 21 is an unlucky day. A day for nightmares. It always has been, and this year is no exception.

Someone is brutally murdering the offspring of an anonymous sperm donor, and Colt’s missing client is nex
Published May 30th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Colt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colt

Mitch Duckworth
Jul 31, 2013 Mitch Duckworth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
SAUCING THE WHITE FIESTA, a review of the Jude Hardin novel Colt, by Mitch Duckworth

Call it 3.5 Stars. This new Jude Hardin mystery—COLT—is a quick, fun, fast-paced read. It's a surprising entry in Hardin’s series of novels featuring private investigator, Nicholas Colt. Surprising because when we meet him in COLT—the new novel—theaction starts three years before he first appeared in POCKET-47, the first of the series, published in early 2011. Fans may already know Nicholas Colt, but we meet him
Lyndon
Jul 02, 2013 Lyndon rated it really liked it
This is the first novel of Jude Hardin's that I've read, and it's actually a prequel to his debut thriller, Pocket 47, featuring PI Nicholas Colt. It's an indie-published novel and a quick read at 183 pages - perfect for an ebook, imo - while serving as a good introduction to Hardin's 4 other books in the Colt series.

A bit of history: After Pocket 47, Hardin contracted with Amazon's imprint, Thomas and Mercer, for a series of thrillers. (Read this blog entry for more info: http://jakonrath.blog
Nick Kelly
Jul 25, 2013 Nick Kelly rated it it was amazing
Nicholas Colt is a modern day private eye who has seen better days. He dives into the bottle to drink away the memory of losing his wife and daughter, who he lost in a plane crash. His long career as a moderately successful touring musician is long over. All he has left is a beat up RV, a rusted old GMC Jimmy, and a hole in his gut that he fills with booze.

Colt is only a P.I. by title. He hasn't had an actual paying gig in a while. All that changes when spoiled rich kid Everett Harbaugh shows u
Randy
Jun 05, 2013 Randy rated it it was amazing
Former southern rock star Nicholas Colt didn't work on October 21st. That was the day the plane went down, taking his wife and new son, as well as his band, he being the only survivor.

He worked as a P.I. these days. Except on October 21. He spent that day every year getting drunk.

That's why he was annoyed when Everett Harbaugh came calling for his services. But when he offered double his usual fee, he sat up and listened. After all, his bills were all past due.

The young man wanted to find his fa
Josh Smith
Jun 08, 2016 Josh Smith rated it it was amazing
A former rockstar and plane crash survivor is drunk on the anniversary of his family's demise. A young kid comes up, hoping for help to find his paternal father. After passing out in a drunken stupor, the kid goes missing and Nicholas Colt is sent out to go find him.
I like this guy. This Nicholas Colt guy. He's an interesting character. Definitely fun to follow along with and has the right amount of self-loathing to keep the interest heightened. Although it's said that he's a good private detect
Charles Ray
Nicholas Colt is a former rock star turned private detective. He works out of a trailer. October 21 is an unlucky day for him, a day on which bad things have happened in his past, so he decides the best thing to do on that day is dive into a bottle and wait for it to pass. Then, a young man comes to him asking his help to find the sperm donor responsible for his existence. Immediately afterwards, the young man disappears and Colt learns that two other children of the same sperm donor were killed ...more
Dan
Jun 28, 2013 Dan rated it it was amazing
Former rock star, plane crash survivor, alcoholic and private investigator Nicolas Colt does nothing but get drunk on the anniversary of the day that changed his life. He doesn’t take calls, work or anything but his bottle of booze. So when a kid comes knocking on his door wanting him to find his sperm donor father; he didn’t want to take the job. But when the kid disappears moments later; he s determined to locate him.

Colt reminded me of a grittier Jim Rockford (okay, maybe PI the living in th
Tamra LeValley
Sep 06, 2013 Tamra LeValley rated it liked it
I really liked this book. It was a quick and entertaining book. The author did not over-write any sections to make it boring either. The characters were described with a swipe of the pen and yet still likable.

It is a who-dun-it that keeps you captivated. Colt went from a who's who to a has been when his wife, child and the entire band are killed in an airplane accident. A man who is deeply drunk on the same day that his family died 14 years previously is approached to find a donor father to a 20
Will Decker
Oct 17, 2013 Will Decker rated it really liked it
This was my first Jude Hardin story and I'm envious of his writing abilities. I thoroughly enjoyed the story line and the writing style. The pace was pitch perfect and the characters felt as if I'd personally met them. I would have given this a 5 star rating if the love scenes had been as graphic as the fight scenes. I felt short changed in that respect, but it won't stop me from reading more of Hardin's work in the future.
Dana King
Apr 15, 2014 Dana King rated it really liked it
Maybe even better than Pocket 47, the original, and still my favorite, Nicholas Colt story. Colt is approached during the annual drunk he uses to commemorate the anniversary of the death of his wife, daughter and band, by a young man who wants him to find his biological father. Colt passes out, the kid disappears, and very little goes as expected afterward. Just when Hardin makes you worry he’s about to have jumped the shark, he reels things in with a satisfying and believable ending.
Kathy DeShong
Apr 26, 2014 Kathy DeShong rated it really liked it
"Colt" was a easy reading mystery. Had a lot of twists and turns, although, the author kept pointing us to the wrong characters. In the end, I was surprised who the criminal really was, but it was sophomoric the way he tried to push us in the wrong direction...let my imagination lead the way. Also, I felt the novel was shorter than my usual reads....only 196 pages.
Beverly E. McWhirk
Jun 27, 2015 Beverly E. McWhirk rated it liked it
A good start to the Colt series

The only other Hardin book I've read was the more recent "Lady 52". I enjoyed it very much and was anxious to go back to the beginning. "Colt" did not have the pizzazz of"52". Perhaps the characters and plots have improved with age. It was a good story with a surprise ending. I recommend it.
Belle Ami
Jun 07, 2016 Belle Ami rated it really liked it
Jude Hardin's Colt was a fast entertaining read. Nicholas Colt is a hard to resist character, sexy as hell, he's a lost soul whose past haunts him. This is an action packed PI book with a story that keeps you guessing. A whodunnit that will keep you turning pages. I certainly would read this author again.
Tulay
Jan 14, 2016 Tulay rated it really liked it
Fast moving story.

Colt's unlucky day, now he has another memorable story to add to October 21st.
Every time I try to guess who was behind the kidnapping, I was wrong. This story has some interesting characters, ending was really shocking, didn't expect that. Greed doesn't have any limits.
Tim
Aug 15, 2013 Tim rated it liked it
A good, fast reading mystery. I really liked the character of Nicholas Colt and will look for other books in this series.

Definite recommend. Like I said, fast moving plot with enough twists to make it interesting.
A.C. Birdsong
Dec 19, 2013 A.C. Birdsong rated it did not like it
Perhaps it was my mood, but I could only read a few chapters of this. The book seemed to suffer from "I-ism". Too many "I did this, I did that..." On another week I may have been all in. But this week... not working for me. People like it, though, from the other reviews.
Alan Petersen
Aug 13, 2013 Alan Petersen rated it really liked it
My first book from Jude Hardin, and it won't be my last! Excellent writer. Colt was a lot of fun. A thrilling suspenseful story with lively characters centered around a washed up musician turned PI dealing with some internal demons.
Rex Fuller
Quick read (one sitting). Lot of action. Often funny. Great price on Kindle, zero. Wasn't expecting a lot and wasn't disappointed.
Jerry Walch
Mar 04, 2016 Jerry Walch rated it really liked it
A good story, fast paced, nonstop action. Kind of reminded me of the old Mike Hammer novels where the hero takes beating after beating and still comes out on top, winning the day
Susan
Aug 02, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
October 21, for P.I. Nicholas Colt, a day that bad always happens. This time Everett Harbaugh wants him to find his sperm donor father, the day that Everett disappears.
David Beck
Aug 09, 2013 David Beck rated it really liked it
A pretty good detective story set in north east Florida, I knew many of the locations that Colt was moving around. A decent plot and a pretty good resolution of the problems.
Renee
Jun 13, 2013 Renee rated it liked it
It was a pretty good story. It had me laughing in a few places. I would of loved to see more action.
Aaron Dubin
Aug 09, 2013 Aaron Dubin rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Did not see the ending coming at all. Great characters and nicely paced. Totally recommend.
Rick Gillispie
Feb 18, 2015 Rick Gillispie rated it really liked it
A P.I. everyone can love

First book I read with Nicholas Colt in it. I really enjoyed it. Great flow from start to finish. Will read next in series.
Rich Maloy
Jan 08, 2016 Rich Maloy rated it really liked it
Good read!

A PI we can relate with. Quick on the draw and just as quick to form an opinion. When he does he reacts!
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Jess Hemeter
Jess Hemeter rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Frank Steven Mott rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Prophet Motive
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • Acts of Honor
  • Let Me Out
  • The Shoulders of Giants
  • Drift Away (Noah Braddock, #4)
  • Cloudburst (Art Jefferson, #1)
  • The Betrayal
  • Came a Shadow
  • Cry of the Needle
  • Metro Star Murders
  • The Taking of Trevor Ward
  • Twisted Justice
  • Strictly Analog
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • Wyatt's Revenge
  • Bad Traffick (Leine Basso, #2)
  • An American Outlaw

Nicholas Colt (7 books)
  • Pocket-47 (Nicholas Colt, #2)
  • Crosscut
  • Snuff Tag 9
  • Rattled (A Nicholas Colt Story)
  • Key Death