Start by marking “Dogs” as Want to Read:
Dogs

Dogs

Amazon.com Review Artist Rien Poortvliet paints an impressive and certainly diverse range of subjects--gnomes, theological scenes, and now a book completely devoted to dogs! Canine fanatics will fall in love with Poortvliet's amazingly lifelike portraits of basset hounds, fox terriers, dalmatians, and just about every dog ever invented! The artist works with both oil and p ...more
Published March 30th 1996 by Harry N. Abrams (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogs

Kim
Wow. This is a book I will NEVER tire of. The verbage, the artwork, the whimsy - it all boils down to my passion, dogs and our relationship with the goofy, adorable, devoted companions they all are. Plus, the book is gorgeous to hold, to linger with, and to return to.
Laurie
Jul 29, 2008 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All dog lovers.
This isn't so much a "read" as it is a thrilling visual meditation on the humble dog. And really, for my money, it doesn't get too much better than that. Some of my best friends are dogs.
Lori
Feb 10, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing
After I discovered his illustrations in "Gnomes", I remember I got this book too. The cover was different, but I got it in Europe. The dog drawings and paintings were fabulous!
Sheona
Jan 10, 2009 Sheona rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Artists, illustrators, dog lovers
Sensational artist. The love for his dogs bounces off each page with so much skill. There is no way you read this book without a smile or a seriously big grin.
GK Stritch
Feb 24, 2016 GK Stritch rated it it was amazing
LOVE, love Rien Poortvliet's soft, warm, un-show-off-y style, a complete joy. Poortvliet must be a generous artist because he almost shows the viewer how he paints. Also love how he treats his subjects with dignity, no silly costumes or any other tricks, dogs in their natural, honest beauty, intelligence and charm, domesticated descendants of wolves, capable workers and loyal companions . . . and endless variety for an artist.
Maureen
Apr 30, 2010 Maureen rated it it was amazing
Another fave of mine. Love the pictures; love the text! Strongly recommend to everyone on this website. If you are down, feeling bad and blue just get this book. I believe you can find in the library if you do not have the $$ to lay out for it. Once you see it, it will inspire you -- maybe then you will come across the $$ to buy it and have it with you always.
Carole Pivarnik
Oct 25, 2011 Carole Pivarnik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, dogs, faves
Poortvliet is possibly my favorite artist. His work seems so effortless and natural; and the stories he shares about his dogs in this book are heartwarming and funny. As a dog artist, I love this book and never tire of looking at it. It is wonderful and inspiring. Thanks to my sis-in-law for reminding me about it! Very glad to have recently added it to my personal library.
Leigh
It's taken me YEARS to finally track down this book, which I first found at our local public library when I was at most ten years old. My current (much more expansive!) library system doesn't have it, but someday I would really, really love to revisit it.
Amanda
Apr 04, 2007 Amanda rated it really liked it
I have this in Dutch. I love the way Poortvliet recreates the feel of his personal sketchbook by blending sketches, anecdotes, notes, and polished artwork. See also his treatment of Gnomes and Horses.
Erina
Jul 02, 2013 Erina rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful
Rachel
May 27, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Amazing illustrations of the author's dogs and their life together. LOVE this one
Anneris
Jun 05, 2012 Anneris rated it it was amazing
I love it. Its the best artist ever seen drawing dogs ...more
Sylvester
May 05, 2010 Sylvester rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, animals, art
All different breeds, all different characters, Poortvliet obviously loves dogs. Anyone who loves dogs will enjoy this book.
Donna
Aug 16, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dog lovers
A picture book for dog lovers. Rien Poortvliet is an amazing artist.
Hibernia
Hibernia rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2010
Jules
Jules rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2009
Hase Cäsar
Hase Cäsar rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2013
Randy
Randy rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
M
M rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2013
Himmelkumov
Himmelkumov rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Dave Banks
Dave Banks rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Renske
Renske rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2010
Maureen Meehan
Maureen Meehan rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2011
Matthijs
Matthijs rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Pwijnen
Pwijnen rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Lise
Lise rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2014
Marcus Fioravante
Marcus Fioravante rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2015
Ahana
Ahana rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Lew
Lew rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2014